Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Jimmy Hats posted:

Where the gently caress is daredevil tho

I wouldn't be surprised if Daredevil just sorta decided to ditch New York for a bit and then just travel around, sorta similar to what he wanted to do with Elektra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

notthegoatseguy posted:

But the story sucks as well. That whole scene was just bad.

Well, the dinner was supposed to be awkward and uncomfortable -- and it was, just not for the reasons the writers expected.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ward only became a tolerable and interesting character when he started taking synthetic heroin.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AndyElusive posted:

Ward only became a tolerable and interesting character when he started taking synthetic heroin.

Which was totally legal for reals!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like legal, synthetic heroin that didn't require needles and you couldn't develope a tolerance for would be the best thing. It's safest heroin ever. People won't OD, because they won't uo their doses as they develope a tolerance, they won't get infections from dirty needles, they wont share bloodborne diseases from sharing needles.

And if it's legal, they probably won't go to prison? The whole "it's legal" aspect didn't really make any sense to me. If it's legal, why not distribute it legally and make a legal fortune?

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

Which was totally legal for reals!

It's legal?? I must have missed that part of the sales pitch. I thought it was just the ingredients which could be legally obtained.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yakmouth posted:

It's legal?? I must have missed that part of the sales pitch. I thought it was just the ingredients which could be legally obtained.

That's what I thought at first, but then she says "the entire process is completely legal".

If the process is legal, then it's not resulting in something legally considered a controlled substance.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"Shadow Hawk Takes Flight" is one of the worst episodes of TV that I've ever seen.

And that's coming from ME. The guy who defended Season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and didn't so much turn against it as he just got bored with it. You have truly hosed the pooch if you can't even win me over.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's the worst episode of the show by a mile. None of the characters who turn out to be any interesting have come into their own yet, and it's too serious to even be fun in a goofy, stupid way.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
If Scott Buck's Danny Rand was Asian it would still be an Iron Fist series with Scott Buck as showrunner so it would be just as bad except with slightly different battle lines fighting about why on twitter.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I wish they had flashbacks for Danny. If he reacted to the trauma by 'switching off' and staying that way via commitment to 'being a weapon' then it'd kinda make sense for developmental stunting to emerge later in life. With the Iron Fist having failed to fulfill him, and with the opportunity to finally rest on his laurels, his mind could start relaxing and his emotions could start turning back on. His emotional character would've spent the past 15 years being tempered by exactly zero life experience so naturally he'd be a boy-man gently caress up who just wants his family, friends and penthouse back.

I think they could've sold it.

Snak posted:

I feel like legal, synthetic heroin that didn't require needles and you couldn't develope a tolerance for would be the best thing. It's safest heroin ever. People won't OD, because they won't uo their doses as they develope a tolerance, they won't get infections from dirty needles, they wont share bloodborne diseases from sharing needles.

Yeah, it'd save countless lives and help get many off the drug entirely. Cheap, pure, non-invasive, perfect efficacy and controlled dosage? That'd be amazing.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 21, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Junkfist posted:

If Scott Buck's Danny Rand was Asian it would still be an Iron Fist series with Scott Buck as showrunner so it would be just as bad except with slightly different battle lines fighting about why on twitter.

I'm not saying that it would make the show good, it would just make the show's politics slightly less hosed.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Yakmouth posted:

It wasn't in the sales pitch but the Rand chemist says "the most amazing aspect of this drug is that there's nothing illegal about it" but I'm not sure if they mention it again or why it was brought up in the first place since Ward gets busted for it later.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Arist posted:

I'm not saying that it would make the show good, it would just make the show's politics slightly less hosed.

There aren't any politics in this show because much like character development or writing, nobody in charge cared to put any in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Junkfist posted:

There aren't any politics in this show because much like character development or writing, nobody in charge cared to put any in.

You know what? I'll actually accept this

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

nooneofconsequence posted:

It wasn't in the sales pitch but the Rand chemist says "the most amazing aspect of this drug is that there's nothing illegal about it" but I'm not sure if they mention it again or why it was brought up in the first place since Ward gets busted for it later.

Huh.

Yeah, I just rewatched the scene and there it is.

Good news for Danny, then. Sell enough HeroinDerm and Rand will be profitable enough to give away at cost all the life-saving medicines he wants.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The writers know as much about drug manufacture/criminality as they do about corporate takeover or trial procedure.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I wonder if they'll make Danny a Black Sky in Defenders and say "look, it's not just Asians who are Black Skies!"

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I did like how Ward was just kinda like, man, I'm feeling especially stressed out. Guess I've got this experimental super-heroin sitting in my desk, may as well give it a shot.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

HIJK posted:

I wonder if they'll make Danny a Black Sky in Defenders and say "look, it's not just Asians who are Black Skies!"

That would be a step towards being an "Immortal" Iron Fist, wouldn't it?

I have no knowledge about the comics but neither did the show runner so don't take me seriously.

Actually this has me thinking. Does the comic version of Stick's order have any connection to K'un Lun?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 21, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mover posted:

I did like how Ward was just kinda like, man, I'm feeling especially stressed out. Guess I've got this experimental super-heroin sitting in my desk, may as well give it a shot.

Addiction inhibits rational behavior.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
People don't set out to drink mouthwash. They run out of liquor and don't have money or a way to get more, then they realize they have mouthwash.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

How come Scott Buck still gets work

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Good thing then, if you want to get off the magic super heroin they also have a magic cleanup shot that jumps you straight past detox!

double negative posted:

He'll be coasting for years on his cool name.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Accretionist posted:

I wish they had flashbacks for Danny. If he reacted to the trauma by 'switching off' and staying that way via commitment to 'being a weapon' then it'd kinda make sense for developmental stunting to emerge later in life. With the Iron Fist having failed to fulfill him, and with the opportunity to finally rest on his laurels, his mind could start relaxing and his emotions could start turning back on. His emotional character would've spent the past 15 years being tempered by exactly zero life experience so naturally he'd be a boy-man gently caress up who just wants his family, friends and penthouse back.

I think they could've sold it.

Related: I was musing about this show on Twitter and it occurred to me that they should've talked to Rand Ravich. His recent track record is, um, not enthralling (Second Chance, Crisis), but over ten years ago he did a show that covered a fair chunk of the same ground Iron Fist is trying to cover here. Life is one of the best police procedurals ever, with a weird, fascinating main character who served 12 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit and came out a Zen Buddhist.

The whole time I was watching the asylum episode, I was thinking of how much more interesting it would be if Danny Rand was more like Charlie Crews. Keeping his cool at first, biding his time, "You don't have to understand here to be here," all that poo poo, the grind slowly wearing down his resolve until he found it again. Again, I don't think Ravich would have made a perfect or even great show, but he certainly would've made an interesting one.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Wow Episode 2 was incredibly boring and offensive for anyone who has worked in mental healthcare post-1970's.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Heh yeah man, those goons. Not like us right? We're the cool ones ~holds up hand for the most radical of high fives~

*does a Michael Jordan-esque open legged flying leap through the air landing in the most radical of high fives*

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Subvisual Haze posted:

Wow Episode 2 was incredibly boring and offensive for anyone who has worked in mental healthcare post-1970's.

I mean, you realize that that was a corrupt doctor they use to lock away their problems? Those people we being diagnosed because rich people wanted them gone, not because that's how mental health care works...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Life is one of the best police procedurals ever
Is that the show where the police have to play a home-hacked version of Tomb Raider or something to open an Excel spreadsheet that opens up directly from inside the game?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Prince of Persia, yes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

redbackground posted:

Is that the show where the police have to play a home-hacked version of Tomb Raider or something to open an Excel spreadsheet that opens up directly from inside the game?

Yes.

Life is great.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Snak posted:

I mean, you realize that that was a corrupt doctor they use to lock away their problems? Those people we being diagnosed because rich people wanted them gone, not because that's how mental health care works...

Didn't Harold lament how he wasn't corrupt and was legitimately trying to help Danny?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Lycus posted:

Didn't Harold lament how he wasn't corrupt and was legitimately trying to help Danny?

Yeah.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Snak posted:

Attitudes toward mental health care in this country are all kinds of hosed up, and this episode seemed to go out of its way to rehash every bad stereotype of healthcare workers (violent disciplinarians), treatment processes (patient being administered medication without consent when not an immediate danger, involuntary emergency detentions misunderstood completely, straitjackets and restraints etc.) and patients (dangerous crazed psychopaths that you should fear and hate).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The last shot of this thing is among the most poorly executed shots I've ever seen on TV, and somehow weirdly literal?? Like the show's called Iron Fist so let's just do an extreme zoom on the pores of his fist and cut to credits?? I don't think this show is very good, you guys.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

double negative posted:

White men get many second chances in film/TV.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Why didn't Rand wear the headband-mask thing? The historical footage of the previous Iron Fist wore it, so it seems like it should have been in the show from the start. If he had worn his mask, he could protect his billionaire identity, and they could also have martial artist stunt men doing all the fight scenes for him.

This show needs a new show runner who can keep everything consistent and so we can move away from silly things like the Iron Fist existing to kill the hand, but if he kills a member of the hand it will corrupt his chi and he won't be the Iron Fist any more.

Hopefully Danny will be better in the Defenders, and maybe they can make some changes and the next season will get it's poo poo together.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

homeless snail posted:

The last shot of this thing is among the most poorly executed shots I've ever seen on TV, and somehow weirdly literal?? Like the show's called Iron Fist so let's just do an extreme zoom on the pores of his fist and cut to credits?? I don't think this show is very good, you guys.

Are you sure it was his fist? Maybe it was his hand. Or perhaps his duke, or his punchy paw.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Snak posted:

I liked when they had the dude who tried to stab Danny in the neck with a fork serve as his tour guide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Yeah, he said "I totes believe you, here, let's give you more sedatives..."

You're right though, he did seem to be "figuring out" who Danny was.

So I don't know. I thought it was obvious at the beginning that it was a racket for rich people to lock up and discredit their inconvenient enemies.