Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Stable? Isn't it still beta 3 or whatever

Unstable and beta aren't the same thing, or even necessarily related. Handbrake was in beta for 13 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Everything I've read on Reddit says it's not stable, however

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It is stable, but do what the heart wants.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Is the jailbreak like 9.3.3 originally was where you have to reinstall a certificate after a week if you didn't install the one year certificate? Trying to decide whether to upgrade my 5S from 8.4.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ibntumart posted:

Is the jailbreak like 9.3.3 originally was where you have to reinstall a certificate after a week if you didn't install the one year certificate? Trying to decide whether to upgrade my 5S from 8.4.

Yeah, but how often do you actually restart your phone? Pretty sure I haven't turned mine off in like, a month.

And even then it's 60 seconds when you're at your laptop. Hardly the end of the world.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
Plus, if you do restart your phone, or it gets rebooted for whatever reason, your phone is still perfectly usable and is basically a non-jail broken device.

It's nothing like the days of fully tethered jailbreaks where if you rebooted your device it was pretty much a brick and unusable until you had access to a computer.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

To be quite honest, I prefer the new style of jailbreak. They're already working on a solution to the "have to resign yalu every 7 days" problem, so it's no big deal. This isn't iOS 9 anymore, where my jailbroken devices would restart themselves every night.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Poala Bear posted:

I took the plunge last night and used Prometheus/FutureRestore to update my 9.3.3 iPhone 6 to 10.2.

I had to borrow my girlfriend's mac (because I don't have one and VMWare ran like dog doodoo) so a lot of the time spent was on installing dependencies for the mac to work correctly. Once the mac was set up correctly, Prometheus was smooth sailing and the update went without a hitch.

Do you have a step-by-step guide that you can link? I'm way behind the times as a career change has taken up all my attention.

I'm on a 6S/9.3.3 and I thought I read the signing window for 10.2 was past, or the vulnerability had been patched recently, at least according to the stickied wiki on r/jailbreak.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
My iOS 9 jailbreak has been pretty stable, but when it did reboot for whatever reason, I just used the Safari shortcut and rejailbroke in a jiffy. But I had the one year certificate and later used the updated website jailbreak. I never had to deal with manually injecting anything onto my device.

That said, if it's easy to do and going to not even be an issue in the near future, it's very tempting. My only other concern is screwing up with Prometheus. I have my blobs saved for 10.1.1 and 10.2.

Though also tempting is just upgrading my phone already and hoping I get either 9.3.3 or 10.1.1 on the new one.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I just click the pangu app and lock the screen and it rejailbreaks. It takes like 3 seconds.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

spongeworthy posted:

Do you have a step-by-step guide that you can link? I'm way behind the times as a career change has taken up all my attention.

I'm on a 6S/9.3.3 and I thought I read the signing window for 10.2 was past, or the vulnerability had been patched recently, at least according to the stickied wiki on r/jailbreak.

First requirement, you need to have saved your device specific shsh2 blobs for 10.2 when the window was still open earlier this year.

Site to get shsh2 blobs

Site to check if blobs are valid

If you had never saved the shsh2 blobs for your device, stop reading because there's nothing you can do. Just hang out on 9.3.3 instead.

Second, you need to have a Mac, or Linux computer. (You can also run a Virtual Machine MacOS on a Windows PC, but when I tried that it ran like dogpoop).

If you have both of those requirements, then I followed these two guides. The first one installs certain dependencies for Prometheus/FutureRestore to run correctly.

Guide to install dependencies.

Guide to setting up and using Prometheus to move from 9.3.3 to 10.2

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Poala Bear posted:

First requirement, you need to have saved your device specific shsh2 blobs for 10.2 when the window was still open earlier this year.

Site to get shsh2 blobs

Site to check if blobs are valid

If you had never saved the shsh2 blobs for your device, stop reading because there's nothing you can do. Just hang out on 9.3.3 instead.

Second, you need to have a Mac, or Linux computer. (You can also run a Virtual Machine MacOS on a Windows PC, but when I tried that it ran like dogpoop).

If you have both of those requirements, then I followed these two guides. The first one installs certain dependencies for Prometheus/FutureRestore to run correctly.

Guide to install dependencies.

Guide to setting up and using Prometheus to move from 9.3.3 to 10.2

gently caress. Didn't save my blobs when that was a thing I guess. I'll just wait and see what happens. Thanks!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yeah, but how often do you actually restart your phone? Pretty sure I haven't turned mine off in like, a month.

And even then it's 60 seconds when you're at your laptop. Hardly the end of the world.
Whenever it runs out of battery. Which is unfortunately more often than I'd like.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Overcast 3 came out with a total redesign.
It mostly looks fine, but I was wondering. Is there some method to backup the current version of Overcast 2.x that I have on my phone, so that I can revert to it if the new version has something dumb in it and I want to roll back?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

~Coxy posted:

Overcast 3 came out with a total redesign.
It mostly looks fine, but I was wondering. Is there some method to backup the current version of Overcast 2.x that I have on my phone, so that I can revert to it if the new version has something dumb in it and I want to roll back?

Version 3 is fine

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I know there are a bajillion themes out there, so this is probably a dumb question, but can anyone tell me what icon theme this is?

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Can anyone give me (or link me) a quick guide on how to jb my 7+ on 10.1.1? I've gone through the last few pages and maybe I'm stupid but I don't see anything concrete

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

JiUC posted:

Can anyone give me (or link me) a quick guide on how to jb my 7+ on 10.1.1? I've gone through the last few pages and maybe I'm stupid but I don't see anything concrete

You can find links to everything on Reddit's jailbreak section but the jist of it is...

Download Cydia Impactor to your PC/Mac.
Down Yalu (beta 3) .IPA for your iPhone 7.
Plug iPhone into your computer.
Launch Cydia Impactor on your computer and drag and drop the Yalu IPA onto the program. It'll ask for your Apple ID and password to install Yalu onto your phone (it's safe).
Give it a minute and the Yalu app will be on your home screen.

On your phone go to Settings > General > Device Management & Profiles. You should see your Apple ID there; approve and trust it to allow the Yalu app to run on your phone. Open up the Yalu up, press "go" and either your phone with reboot (try again) or it will respring and Cydia will be on your home screen and you're jail broken.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Poala Bear posted:

You can find links to everything on Reddit's jailbreak section but the jist of it is...

Download Cydia Impactor to your PC/Mac.
Down Yalu (beta 3) .IPA for your iPhone 7.
Plug iPhone into your computer.
Launch Cydia Impactor on your computer and drag and drop the Yalu IPA onto the program. It'll ask for your Apple ID and password to install Yalu onto your phone (it's safe).
Give it a minute and the Yalu app will be on your home screen.

On your phone go to Settings > General > Device Management & Profiles. You should see your Apple ID there; approve and trust it to allow the Yalu app to run on your phone. Open up the Yalu up, press "go" and either your phone with reboot (try again) or it will respring and Cydia will be on your home screen and you're jail broken.

Two important bits:

Turn off passcode/thumb lock
Sign out of icloud (turns off find my iphone)

Also when it asks you for your password for apple ID with cydia impactor you have to generate an app specific one, which you can do online. It's not your apple ID pass. I had no idea that was a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZCi0rtTCVg

Here are the links, two separate ones on this page, scroll down for 10.1.1 iphone 7. Don't be spooked by the bland web layout, it's legit.

https://yalu.qwertyoruiop.com/

Hope this clarifies things for peeps I was a bit miffed

-edit Also

My poo poo crashed when I tried to update the cydia sources and then my tweaks wouldn't show under settings. Cydia kept crashing and I kept having to restart, etc.

Anyways, this fixed my issue:
http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-enable-cydia-substrate-on-ios-10-jailbreak-heres-how/

Oh Tage, my sweet sweet long lost love :woop:

-edit 3

Lol my carrier data stopped working, asking to enable roaming. Had to do this. Apparently people have imessage issues and such and this should fix that.

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-cellular-data-imessage-after-ios-10-jailbreak-heres-how/

My connection timed out pretty fast, so you have to type the commands and hit enter with some haste. But if it times out just enter the ones you weren't able to enter, at least I think.

Also had to run the cydia substrate thing again to get my tweaks to show up under settings again.

By far the most difficult jailbreak so far, but I should be good now. Granted, it is "beta." Hopefully good for now. Anyways, it's free, so who am I to complain.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 13, 2017

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed my 6S is eligible for a free battery replacement. If I get that done can I just restore it to its jailbroken state through itunes, or will it come back with 10.2 installed or something?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I've heard they just swap the battery in a store. Make an appointment and ask them what they will do.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KDdidit posted:

I just noticed my 6S is eligible for a free battery replacement. If I get that done can I just restore it to its jailbroken state through itunes, or will it come back with 10.2 installed or something?

I do these replacements for my job, all that gets done is the battery is swapped out and quick diagnostics performed, couldn't give any shits at all if your phone is jailbroken.
But I do mildly hate anyone with a 6S because the lovely adhesive gasket on the 6s and above turns a 5 minute battery replacement into a 30+ minute task.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

KDdidit posted:

Mine was swapped in an Apple store. No changes to the OS. When I first brought it in they couldn't even run their diagnostic on it because it was shutting off at 45% and they didn't have a cable with them. Unsure if they ran anything after the replacement.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

icleaner deleted 11 gigs :eyepop:

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Thank you for the reminder! iClesner just freed up 9gig on my phone!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Whoops forgot to add chrome to exceptions RIP my 60 tabs

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Man the 10.1.1 ip7 JB is rough. I'm only running tage and I get a ton of crashes and reboots. Tempted to just upgrade to the latest ios

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
xpost from apps thread:

Facebook finally blocked users of Facebook.ipa from sending messages.
So I had to install the dreaded Messenger.ipa

Is there any way I can shut this thing up. I always thought the complaints about constant nags to turn on Notifications, etc. were exaggerations. Nope. It's real bad.
Send help!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya you can mute individual convos

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Wanted to check out the JB reddit for some fun new tweaks and came across this news http://imgur.com/a/tdN7K

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Haha I came here to post it

It's a 10.3.1 ip7 JB

Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/67f08h/news_pangu_jailbreak_ios_1031_on_iphone_7/?st=J1XRKLWH&sh=c1f16613

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Not just iPhone 7, right?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
i7 owners haven't figured out how to jb with the power of smug yet?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

i7 owners haven't figured out how to jb with the power of smug yet?

The iPhone 7 requires a more sophisticated jailbreak than has ever been attempted before. You wouldn't understand.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

mewse posted:

The iPhone 7 requires a more sophisticated jailbreak than has ever been attempted before. You wouldn't understand.

Does the JB require a dongle?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yes, those of us that own an iPhone 7 also have large "dongles".

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Realtalk I had to go to the Apple Store to get a new Headphone to Lightning dongle because the one that came packaged with my phone never worked. Humiliating.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Apple released a 10.3.2 beta

Not saying it has anything to do with the JB. You can speculate all you want

I'll probably just update to 10.3.1 anyways and cross my fingers, 10.1.1 jb is terribly unstable for me on ip7 and looks like it won't be getting any sort of update

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 27, 2017

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Was there ever any confirmation that the 10.3.1 JB would work for non-7s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No idea

• Locked thread