Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yo does anyone here like Clue as much as me

One of my all-time favorites and should be studied by actors learning comedic timing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Late 90s really. Huge Kids In The Hall fan over here.

Speaking of that era Comedy Central, I checked like a month ago and PCU does noooooooot hold up.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FreudianSlippers posted:

Chainstores are all pretty dull. The smaller more specialized stores where you have to search through mountains of material to find the good stuff are more fun and have the added bonus of the person behind the counter often being the one that owns the place so they know the whole place in and out and can tell if you if they have that certain Mojo Nixon record or Lost Highway on VHS or a cassette by some uber kvlt Black Metal group that only released half a record in 1993 and if not they can probably try to order it for you. That's just more appealing than a bunch of bored teenagers that can't stand being there.

However I still shop online more often than in stores because it's:
1. Cheaper
2. Easier
3. Has a much better selection
4. Is a lot more Cyberpunk.

I'm that guy at my store

My favorite day is the day the old dude who drops like 200 a week because he has his own customers and doesn't want to set up a diamond account comes in because it's the only conversation I have in a given week where I don't have to explain anything and am.more likely to learn some poo poo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
What does PCU have to do with Kids in the Hall?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yo does anyone here like Clue as much as me

Homie there is a clue comic coming out this spring that will feature different endings based on variant cover which is glorious

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

glam rock hamhock posted:

What does PCU have to do with Kids in the Hall?

I clicked the wrong post. PCU was another 90s Comedy Central staple.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't the explanation at the end of Psycho just kind of a product of its time? Psycho pioneered this kind of psychological gimmick thriller on the screen, didn't it? Sure now days, people having identity disorders and stuff is a giant cliche that every predicts and rolls their eyes at, but it wasn't in 1960.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The Night They Raided Minsky's kinda owns with all these crash zooms on leering and befuddled 1920s men. Working my way through Friedkin's oeuvre after reading his autobiography.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tonight's double feature: The Terminator and Badlands. Terminator is like the platonic ideal of a B movie. Badlands is... well it sure is something. The score is crazy.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Subway is white noise for your mouth.

[ASMR] Funky Kong feeds you a Subway Meatball Marinara

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Peeping Tom is so good that it ruined the directors career. Everyone was like "Wow! this is far too good. He can never work again".

More or less.

I thought it ruined the main star's acting career? I vaguely remember him as the heartthrob in kitschy movies that were super-popular in Germany, then he starred in a good movie and was promptly forgotten.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
KiTH is in my top five favourite shows ever. I also love Brain Candy, and find it gets better every time I rewatch it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Snak posted:

Isn't the explanation at the end of Psycho just kind of a product of its time? Psycho pioneered this kind of psychological gimmick thriller on the screen, didn't it? Sure now days, people having identity disorders and stuff is a giant cliche that every predicts and rolls their eyes at, but it wasn't in 1960.

Part of it. Hitchcock was inspired by the low-budget horror movies by the likes of Roger Corman and William Castle, as well as Les diaboliques. I think he was poking fun at having a long-winded coda, only to pull one more scare on the audience with that long creepy take of Norman smiling.

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought it ruined the main star's acting career? I vaguely remember him as the heartthrob in kitschy movies that were super-popular in Germany, then he starred in a good movie and was promptly forgotten.

It ruined Michael Powell's career. I don't think he directed anything else for years and certainly without the prestige of his earlier films.

Karl Bohm may have been affected, but IMDB lists his next two films as two years later, but both mega-productions at MGM.

(Also, IMDB says he starred in a German TV version of Traumnovelle)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Egbert Souse posted:

It ruined Michael Powell's career. I don't think he directed anything else for years and certainly without the prestige of his earlier films.

Karl Bohm may have been affected, but IMDB lists his next two films as two years later, but both mega-productions at MGM.

Bohm was who I was thinking of, I guess it was more that people were shocked that Kaiser Franz from the Sissi movies suddenly played a pervy murderer, but he seemingly did alright after that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Well I'm intrigued

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I think I'm finally old enough to relate to Seinfeld problems. Not the problems of Jerry Seinfeld, who is a very rich man, but TV Seinfeld.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

married but discreet posted:

I think I'm finally old enough to relate to Seinfeld problems. Not the problems of Jerry Seinfeld, who is a very rich man, but TV Seinfeld.

You're dating a girl whose name you've forgotten?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Friendly conversations with coworker have slowly degraded to greetings, nods and finally nothing, leading to resentment. What a phony.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

K. Waste posted:

You're dating a girl whose name you've forgotten?

Mulva?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You've overpaid for a piece of art under the assumption that its artist is about to die because a piece of candy fell into his body during surgery?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Even TV Seinfeld is rich as hell and has a sweet apartment in Manhattan (no mention of rent control)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All of them, except for Kramer, are presumably very well off based on their jobs.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

All of them, except for Kramer, are presumably very well off based on their jobs.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It depends on the season (and episode). For instance there's a stretch where George is broke and has to move in with his parents.

e ^^^ and he sometimes eats garbage.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, Jerry is obviously wealthy, based upon the apartment and how he can pay cash for a Cadillac for his parents or casually loan Elaine five grand.

Kramer "fell rear end-backward into money," according to George.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just watched Force Majeure and the entire time knew deep down someone just wanted to make a serious movie about Constanza's reaction to the fire at the birthday party.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

weekly font posted:

I just watched Force Majeure and the entire time knew deep down someone just wanted to make a serious movie about Constanza's reaction to the fire at the birthday party.

Weirdly I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus is signed on to the American remake of that, if it's still happening.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LesterGroans posted:

Weirdly I think Julia Louis-Dreyfus is signed on to the American remake of that, if it's still happening.

Please let that indicate Larry David is involved somehow

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Anyone have any writing they'd recommend on Ali: Fear Eats The Soul?

weekly font posted:

Speaking of that era Comedy Central, I checked like a month ago and PCU does noooooooot hold up.

I wonder if the murderer's row of character actors would make Airheads watchable in 2017

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

morestuff posted:

Anyone have any writing they'd recommend on Ali: Fear Eats The Soul?
I never liked the addition of "Ali:" to the original title to make it a subtitle, probably done at the behest of some American distributor for marketing purposes or w/e; it's much more evocative as just Fear Eats The Soul.

Anyway, this being Fassbinder's most well-known film in America, there are a plethora of articles & books about it and I'm not sure if you're looking for a particular angle or length. A good, if tangential, starting point might be Fassbinder's own musings on Douglas Sirk, especially All That Heaven Allows.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Coaaab posted:

I never liked the addition of "Ali:" to the original title to make it a subtitle, probably done at the behest of some American distributor for marketing purposes or w/e; it's much more evocative as just Fear Eats The Soul.

Anyway, this being Fassbinder's most well-known film in America, there are a plethora of articles & books about it and I'm not sure if you're looking for a particular angle or length. A good, if tangential, starting point might be Fassbinder's own musings on Douglas Sirk, especially All That Heaven Allows.

Awesome, thank you. I (unintentionally) also watched All That Heaven Allows for the first time recently and it wasn't surprising to find out Fassbinder was a big Sirk fan.

Know of anything specifically on the way the film treats and depicts Ali? The ending gives a good idea of why they did this but I was frustrated by how much of the film focuses on Emmi's point of view.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

George eats garbage because he's a garbage person. Not out of economic necessity.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

weekly font posted:

I haven't seen it but all the trailers made it look like a comedy. Albeit a very Scandinavian one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My wife had an unexpected day off yesterday and my freelance work is kind of dry at the moment, so we watched a bunch of random poo poo on Netflix and Prime yesterday.

- Life, Animated was a really touching look at how the classic Disney animated films helped an autistic young man break out of his shell and actually become verbal and living on his own. Good movie but it kind of feels like a paean to Disney by the halfway mark -- almost relentlessly praising the way the company is so brazenly consumerist. Still worth a watch.

- Sing Street was so, so, so loving good, holy poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I haven't seen it but all the trailers made it look like a comedy. Albeit a very Scandinavian one.

It's both, it threads the needle incredibly well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I should watch Sing Street. It seems like a good pick me up movie from what I heard.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I should watch Sing Street. It seems like a good pick me up movie from what I heard.

There are parts when it gets more than a little depressing but the music is so fantastic (how the gently caress "Drive It Like You Stole It" didn't get an Oscar nomination is beyond me) and the ending made me tear up quite a bit. The cast, which is almost entirely unknowns (the biggest names are probably Aidan Gillen and Maria Doyle Kennedy, and they're barely in the movie), has wonderful chemistry together.

The dedication card at the end of the movie is "For Brothers Everywhere," which should tell you what kind of story it is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
in case any of you broke goons needs a new idea to get money:
https://www.wired.com/2013/03/ipo-man/

article from 2013 but its crazy

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Wasn't crazy about Sing Street, main character was bit of a Mary Sue, but Drive It Like You Stole It is loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

YToTD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16v2eojZ_l8

• Locked thread