Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kitchner posted:

Wiz should mention protecting people from the terrible secret of space again.

Him and Cknoor mentioned it on the pre launch stream and i think only them and like the 10 of us in this thread that got this at launch appreciated the joke.

Pak Chooie Unf would be a perfectly reasonable name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The ability for a species to change colors based on disposition would be incredible

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Is it possible to link disposition to portrait? It'd be amazing if some friendly empire ended up with a synth leader and you went to trade some minerals or whatever and got

"Blorg! Your beautiful excretions are a joy to behold! Please, what can we do for you? :love::love::love::love:"

GlyphGryph posted:

The ability for a species to change colors based on disposition would be incredible
...but alas it's not an option as far as I know!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yet another thing wiz needs to get on asap.

Make emotional color a free pickable trait

We really need som more flavour traits in general. I hope we can pick Delicious to start with. Them the beginning blurb can talk about how we overcame our long history of cannibalism to work together.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

What could possibly go wrong! :v:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ulmont posted:

Not all jokes are puns.

But if it's not a pun and not even funny then where's the joke?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why did you turn blue when you said you don't want war?
No reason.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Poil posted:

Why did you turn blue when you said you don't want war?
No reason.

We would be happy to share this information for the small sum of one hundred million credits.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GlyphGryph posted:

Once again something mooDO but stellar...don't. All the races had a neutral/happy/angry art and animations and the lizard duds had like neck pouches that would change colour and the robots eyes and lights would also get angry.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

GotLag posted:

settle down mr hawking

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh, speaking of utterly devoid of humour.

Shouldn't you be busy campaigning to have the ship designer removed from the game?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

GotLag posted:

Shouldn't you be busy campaigning to have the ship designer removed from the game?

there's nothing funny about unambiguously correct design decisions

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ship designer is fun though?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

GotLag posted:

they said they aren't going to remove it, please read the thread before commenting. no hard feelings

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If they're giving us EU4 levels of combat feedback there should be EU4 levels of unit design. Either we need quite a different battle system that provides way more meaningful options/strategies and feedback, or a greatly simplified unit designer that boils it all down to the few meaningful options the game's combat system is able to clearly convey.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I mean, it's been basically just this side of officially confirmed that war, and by extension presumably combat, is getting a major overhaul.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I hope in the war update they either totally gut and redo the ship design system or (and?!) the way combat and ship movement works and they ignore any complaints that "But I liked how it was!!!"
Also as a secondary hope, I hope what ever they replace the systems with is actually better.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I can't remember off hand, is there anything in Utopia to address wide v tall more than it currently is?

I know habitats are a thing but I can't tell how much they'll matter, since even with terraforming now it always seems like you need to expand a ton early on or you'll never keep pace with stuff like ship capacity.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GotLag posted:

Ok, let me start over.

1. Hawking radiation is a thing that exists and relates to black holes bleeding mass.

2. A Penrose-Hawking singularity is a thing that exists. It also relates to black holes.

3. So, if you found a singularity where a black hole was bleeding mass, and that was titled "Penrose Radiation", you would connect Penrose to both Hawking and Singularity, and then realize the reference to Hawking radiation.

4. Obviously, the OP found that funnier than Peddling radiation.

5. Now that I've gone through that chain slowly, there is no possible way you will ever find it funny, but obviously people disagree on that point.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
That science joke flew right over my head. I'm a proud product of a failed public school so my puns are more on the level of "I have to make bad chemistry jokes because the good ones argon."

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yes, I am familiar with Hawking radiation and yes, I have heard of Penrose.

The joke is that it's obviously not Hawking radiation in-game because there's nobody called Hawking in the player empire's scientific cadre, but it has, through the magic of narrative, ended up with a name that carries the same literal meaning as hawking, i.e. peddling.

"Penrose radiation" is a meaningless substitution of one name for another and you should feel stupid and dumb.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That science joke flew right over my head. I'm a proud product of a failed public school so my puns are more on the level of "I have to make bad chemistry jokes because the good ones argon."

This is a good bad joke.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've heard tell of good chemistry jokes, but I've never Xenon myself.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Something something neckbeard playing WoW in his basement getting his radon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GotLag posted:

"Penrose radiation" is a meaningless substitution of one name for another and you should feel stupid and dumb.

If your reading comprehension were a bit better you might have noticed that I was the person trying to help you by explaining the joke, not the person who found it funnier than the current one, but please do gently caress off.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
My only complaint with the ship designer right now is that it doesn't have a button to pull a random name for the name list.

ulmont posted:

If your reading comprehension were a bit better you might have noticed that I was the person trying to help you by explaining the joke, not the person who found it funnier than the current one, but please do gently caress off.

Nice of you to try and help but I was attempting to use rhetorical questioning to suggest that the joke sucked rear end. Your feedback is appreciated, I will be less subtle in future.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GotLag posted:

My only complaint with the ship designer right now is that it doesn't have a button to pull a random name for the name list.

:same:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

GotLag posted:

Yes, I am familiar with Hawking radiation and yes, I have heard of Penrose.

The joke is that it's obviously not Hawking radiation in-game because there's nobody called Hawking in the player empire's scientific cadre, but it has, through the magic of narrative, ended up with a name that carries the same literal meaning as hawking, i.e. peddling.

settle down stephen

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The species screen should list all derived/modified species under their parent and allow you to collapse that parent. Having that hierarchical layer might resolve the issues with xenophobes being unhappy about alien overlords after modification, too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GotLag posted:

The species screen should list all derived/modified species under their parent and allow you to collapse that parent. Having that hierarchical layer might resolve the issues with xenophobes being unhappy about alien overlords after modification, too.

Yeah, I've been wanting that since I saw the species screen. Also have xenophobia modified by how related a species is.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How fast do ethics change relative to ethics divergence?

An event turned my entire empire into fanatic militarist cockroaches and now I need to get them back to spiritualist before they get too pissed off.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It can take decades, your best bet is orbital mind control laser spam, satramine gas, and whatever the anti-divergence stuff from the traders is called.

Edit: oh yeah and I'm still angry that modifying races after you uplift them removes the happiness boost :mad:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i dunno if it changed but the ethics divergence chance was a once a year roll and the actual chance was a 1/10th of what the percent said

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

How did a loving science pun start this godawful ship design chat again

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Psycho Landlord posted:

GotLag posted:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Psycho Landlord posted:

Thank gently caress you arrived, otherwise it would have disappeared again

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

All I know about the periodic table is that if you're on Pointless, and a chemistry question comes up, you're going to $$WIN BIG$$ if you go with most elements you learned about from Star Control 2. Yttrium and Ytterbium especially.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Fun* fact: ytterbium, yttrium, terbium and erbium were all named after the same location where the mineral bearing them was first found, Ytterby in Sweden.

*eh, maybe

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

More robits, complete with weirdly inappropriate frog croak animation that I probably won't fix!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dog Kisser posted:

More robits, complete with weirdly inappropriate frog croak animation that I probably won't fix!

Why would you need to "fix" something that's not a problem :confused:

They are still adorable. I'm usually not one for the robots, I prefer psionics and/or genetic manipulation. But if we had portraits like these, I would play them more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'm gonna feel real bad if I can't find a way to wrench the engine into portrait switching at the ascension event. GJ!

• Locked thread