Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

boy are my arms tired posted:

I pretty much stated that oftentimes I fall asleep and leave the game running so this isn't a great secret, and would not be challenging to beat if you were to go for time, i guess

Also yes
I do remember you mentioning it in the video, guess I just took it the wrong way and thought that had only happened once. That's less fun but I'm dumb and need little reason to boot up an old game I still find fun so I'll still go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

pick-e posted:

Is that so terrible? Perhaps my tolerance for "bad VA's" is just really high.

Seconded. This definitely has to go down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2PiYsReZyI

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
New video coming tonight, with a wrap-up coming in the next few days before we get to the final showdown!

The poll will close on Saturday at 11:59pm EST. https://www.strawpoll.me/12426162

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

New video coming tonight, with a wrap-up coming in the next few days before we get to the final showdown!

The poll will close on Saturday at 11:59pm EST. https://www.strawpoll.me/12426162

king of lies, right here

anyways, here is episode 10

no commentary version

I am working on episode 11, aka the final boss episode, right now but i can't guarantee if it'll be ready today or not. who knows!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

bob and linda

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It sure is nice to have other characters doing all the investigational grunt work for you. Someone else always has the answers, you just have to find them or wait for them to come to you.

I mean, they could have strung along clues in those special areas to point you from one to another after directing you to the first one (I get that these were initially things the player base just stumbled on after randomly playing through thousands upon thousands of maps) instead of filling them with obtuse, cryptic, or useless bullshit. Whatever story those areas are supposed to tell, it's not engaging unless the game gives you a chance to piece it together yourself. It basically just hands it to you, after you plow through all the grinding filler.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Chosen Hopeless Nothingness was the name of my middle school poetry notebook.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
because i'm trying to appear like i have my poo poo together:

No commentary version.

INFECTION is over! Almost. Bonus episode coming up soon where I showcase the rare items, the grunties, and the ryu books.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

because i'm trying to appear like i have my poo poo together:

No commentary version.

INFECTION is over! Almost. Bonus episode coming up soon where I showcase the rare items, the grunties, and the ryu books.

Man when I was 14 Skeith: THE TERROR OF DEATH was a rad as hell name.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Getting this done in eleven episodes with a bonus compared to over fifty is largely down to not showing all the generic bullshit dungeons on-screen, and fast forwarding through the mandatory dungeons once you've done the first few.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The piano note that signifies the arrival of the Cursed Wave is A in C major, or middle A. I know this because it has a page on the wikia.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Montegoraon posted:

The piano note that signifies the arrival of the Cursed Wave is A in C major, or middle A. I know this because it has a page on the wikia.

Ah thanks, I was trying to remember the name and couldn't.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I loving love Skeith's theme. It's a great piece of music in and of itself, but it really manages to nail the sense of foreboding. It hammers home that feeling that this isn't just a hopeless fight: all hope is dead.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like why Orca and Balmung were the only ones able to beat the boss to become the Descendants of Fianna - it wasn't because they were the strongest party. Stronger parties had tried and failed to fight it, but the problem was this - they were three person parties. O+B were only a two person party, so they noticed that was going on - the dragon, when attacked by an element would counter it in some way, but while it as countering it became vulnerable to it's opposing element. Balmung baited it, and Orca did the damage while Bal was dodging it's attack. The reason a three person party wasn't working was because they were triggering the weaknesses, but attacking with varying elements so they got confused and missed who had actually done something. Too many cooks, the flavours clashed and cancelled any good they were doing.

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
For all of its flaws, .hack establishes escalation well.

On the subject of length, I always thought it funny, in retrospect, to complain about this game's length since a few years later I'd start hearing "nine hours" as the benchmark for video game length. 10-12 hours, which is how long it took me to beat each game when they came out, is short for a RPG but longer than the minimum for the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Highway posted:

On the subject of length, I always thought it funny, in retrospect, to complain about this game's length since a few years later I'd start hearing "nine hours" as the benchmark for video game length. 10-12 hours, which is how long it took me to beat each game when they came out, is short for a RPG but longer than the minimum for the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation.

It's funny, I was mostly into RPGs as a kid so I used to think that I was getting ripped off if something was less than 40 hours, but nowadays even big RPGs are getting shorter and shorter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr. Highway posted:

Yeah, but without the endless padding the entire series could be ten hours. The actual content and story stuff is stretched soooooo thin

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I loved Skeith. I remember finding the game pretty easy and playing really passively, and then this boss fight comes out of nowhere and it's a constant struggle right until the end. It was refreshing and a huge rush, and the music just sealed it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

skeith's design is probably one of the best in the series, imo

Clark_Mk_IV
May 30, 2008
I only voted for mistral because it seemed like people were saying a wave master helps in the final boss. I guess it was more for the final dungeon that you fast forwarded through?

I am not a fan of all the flashing the game uses for the glitched areas, it's bad enough at normal speed, but when you have it going at super fast forward it's painful to look at. Is there a speed you could use that is fast but not flashing seizure fast? Don't go making your own "Deadly Flash."

Also, rather than A in C major, there was another piece of music that led to a weird feeling for me. The weird "crunchy computery sounds" in the credits music was driving me crazy for a while, because I was sure I heard it used in something else before. I was straining to remember for a while, and then it hit me. How could I forget this masterpiece? (Timestamp version if you want to skip to the relevant part)

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015
Congrats in finishing Infection.

IMOQ and GU were incredibly formative for me. Sign premiered on 11th birthday, and I loved it to death. It touched some themes I hadn't seen before, and it had a phenomenal soundtrack. By the time it finished airing, I barely found out there was a game series and scrambled to buy Infection and Mutation, and Outbreak was the first game I ever preordered.

My brother and I followed the series all the way to the conclusion of GU, after which all mention of the franchise died in the west, and slowly faded away into obscurity elsewhere.

Now that I'm much older, I'd hesitate to call IMOQ and the Conglomerate good; splitting up the franchise and EU was a goddamn moneysink and I'm pretty sure the games could have been put on one disc, but I liked the underlying concepts and enough aspects that I never got burnt-out. GU I think is a better series, but it still had it's problems with repetition and maybe it's plot doesn't hold up as well (I haven't touched it this decade), but it had pretty a pretty high production quality for a niche game at the tail end of the PS2 life cycle, and at the time I enjoyed how it was anime as hell.

It was also the first version of Isekai I found, but it also didn't follow a lot of the tropes most of the genre falls into; the main characters don't work as generic self-inserts, most had characters outside of the fantasy videogame, it's pretty low on fanservice outside of a handful of characters, and the plot can get pretty dark and intense without feeling like it's being cheap.

I think the worst thing my brother ever told me was that .hack died for Sword Art.

Who knows? Reliving all this takes me back a long loving way, and I plan to follow this thread as long as it lasts.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Ah Skeith, the rear end in a top hat boss I kept trying to find the trick to or event trigger or the first time 'maybe he is that kind of rpg boss where you are suppose to lose?'

and I think that is where /I said gently caress this series

le sigh

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Finished up my playthrough of the main story portion of the game. Main, Element Drinks/Trades, Extra Party Members, and most e-mails completed. Skeith was a complete pushover. In its first form I used maybe a dozen of the basic healing items before it was ready to be Data Drained. Afterwards it bugged out / got stunlocked in its stone form and didn't move or attack or anything.

11 hours, 17 minutes. I'd attribute around 6 of those hours to the Element Drink grinding. On average once beyond the intro portions of the game, story dungeons took around 7-10 minutes to clear. Warrior Blood+Hunter Blood+Tiger Claws demolishes most mobs in seconds. These really are incredibly short games if you just straight go through the story. Which I'm cool with and saddened that the same can't be said about G.U. Those games are a real drag to play.

Have to disagree with you calling Flame Sword the best one for BlackRose. Shikisokuzeku, which can be gotten from an enemy in the final dungeon seems far better in my experience. Less accuracy but that's made up for by an extra point in attack and more importantly the Life Drain and Critical Hit effects built into it.

Also I'm surprised you had so much trouble with Skeith at the levels your characters were. Granted, you had Mistral who contributed nothing. Piros would have tanked way more hits and actually done damage. Is there a reason you shy away from abusing the buff items? They really do make a sizeable difference in your damage output and defenses.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

pick-e posted:

Is there a reason you shy away from abusing the buff items? They really do make a sizeable difference in your damage output and defenses.

Buff items wouldn't have helped Mistral do anything useful on Skeith (or Parasite Dragon, which I forgot had Null Magic) but that aside, laziness. Rebuffing on fights like that where they're usually a hair's breadth away from dying (or in Parasite Dragons case, will usually die regardless) is a waste of time.

If you're talking regular dungeons, I didn't bother grinding GP and so didn't really have the funds to get anything other than Warrior Bloods until the late game. You see me using more buffs in Mutation, onward. I'm weird and I'm collecting the Gott Statue items that really serve no purpose but to be sold.

e: Also you don't have PMs but like, could you please not backseat LP? I get I could be doing x or y more efficiently, but still. Thanks!

/////

INFECTION Wrap-Up will be live tonight! Took a lot of editing but we get everything completed that we can in Infection aside from a few annoying Ryu Book stuff (don't worry, we get there before Quarantine is finished). I'll also be explaining how Liminality Episode 1 fits into the story.

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 20, 2017

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
editing because the only thing worse than backseat LPing is backseat moderating.

I have been catching up on these videos, and it's pretty cool to see how you've been progressing. It is kind of a shame that these games, especially the originals, are so hard to get ahold of now. It's also kind of a shame how the more they added to the series, the more convoluted the gameplay got.

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 20, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

sethimothy posted:

It is kind of a shame that these games, especially the originals, are so hard to get ahold of now.

I'm all for physical disc collection but lol naw

like, I have the discs and that's cool and all but if i didn't I would not be shelling out for them

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

pick-e posted:

Finished up my playthrough of the main story portion of the game. Main, Element Drinks/Trades, Extra Party Members, and most e-mails completed. Skeith was a complete pushover. In its first form I used maybe a dozen of the basic healing items before it was ready to be Data Drained. Afterwards it bugged out / got stunlocked in its stone form and didn't move or attack or anything.

11 hours, 17 minutes. I'd attribute around 6 of those hours to the Element Drink grinding. On average once beyond the intro portions of the game, story dungeons took around 7-10 minutes to clear. Warrior Blood+Hunter Blood+Tiger Claws demolishes most mobs in seconds. These really are incredibly short games if you just straight go through the story. Which I'm cool with and saddened that the same can't be said about G.U. Those games are a real drag to play.

Have to disagree with you calling Flame Sword the best one for BlackRose. Shikisokuzeku, which can be gotten from an enemy in the final dungeon seems far better in my experience. Less accuracy but that's made up for by an extra point in attack and more importantly the Life Drain and Critical Hit effects built into it.

Also I'm surprised you had so much trouble with Skeith at the levels your characters were. Granted, you had Mistral who contributed nothing. Piros would have tanked way more hits and actually done damage. Is there a reason you shy away from abusing the buff items? They really do make a sizeable difference in your damage output and defenses.

I appreciate this post as somebody who is in no position to actually bother playing the game myself, so it's good that it's at least somewhat catered for humans.

and to be fair, the audience called for Mistral, likely knowing full well how useless she would be :v:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I voted for Mistral because I wasn't expecting her to die in one hit, and thought a Wavemaster might be useful, plus Mistral was the canonical third party member. But then, when I played the game, my party was typically Black Rose and Gardenia, and that's who I brought into the final fight. But it's been fifteen years, so I don't remember how much trouble I may or may not have had. I tried playing through the game again recently, but as has been stated, it aged poorly.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

MechaCrash posted:

and Gardenia

hell yes, gardenia fan club represent

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Wavemasters are almost always the most useful party members, but a good chunk of it is dependent on them staying well out of melee range so their low defense doesn't get them splattered, and there's no 'get out of melee, you squishy wizard' command.

The roles also reverse pretty hard when more magically oriented bosses come up later on.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014

Buff items wouldn't have helped Mistral do anything useful on Skeith (or Parasite Dragon, which I forgot had Null Magic) but that aside, laziness. Rebuffing on fights like that where they're usually a hair's breadth away from dying (or in Parasite Dragons case, will usually die regardless) is a waste of time.
Oh yeah that's very true especially for the dragon. Just finished off that portion of the 100% run minutes ago. The bastard handed me a Game Over three times!

quote:

e: Also you don't have PMs but like, could you please not backseat LP? I get I could be doing x or y more efficiently, but still. Thanks!
Whoops, I veered off into that territory? Wasn't my intention but still, my bad and apologies. You're right for saying the gameplay gets monotonous and drawn out, and no amount of tips & tricks can change the core way the game is play. Plus nobody but me (seemingly) is "playing at home" alongside the LP so the t&t's weren't needed.

quote:

INFECTION Wrap-Up will be live tonight! Took a lot of editing but we get everything completed that we can in Infection aside from a few annoying Ryu Book stuff (don't worry, we get there before Quarantine is finished). I'll also be explaining how Liminality Episode 1 fits into the story.
Looking forward to it! Hope you gave Martina hell because my wrist and thumb were dying from that fight. :ohdear:

Emalde posted:

I appreciate this post as somebody who is in no position to actually bother playing the game myself, so it's good that it's at least somewhat catered for humans.

and to be fair, the audience called for Mistral, likely knowing full well how useless she would be :v:
Yeah these are from the greatest games ever. I mean you could do worse but yeah. Its was mentioned in one of the previous videos but the games were released months apart from one another so you weren't expected to plow through the main game and side content in a week. But that's generally what people do, myself included. Plus I suspect the developers didn't have the foresight to consider people playing the games back to back to back once the whole series was out, because doing that really shows how repetitive it all is.

And yeah, threads generally enjoy making the LPers suffer. Sometimes the results are amusing but in this case, nah. Not at all. :(

Unoriginal One posted:

Wavemasters are almost always the most useful party members, but a good chunk of it is dependent on them staying well out of melee range so their low defense doesn't get them splattered, and there's no 'get out of melee, you squishy wizard' command.

The roles also reverse pretty hard when more magically oriented bosses come up later on.
Yup. Right now Wavemasters are nearly useless with their Tier 1 magic. You can heal the party faster than they can and offensive magic can largely be ignored. As you say though, their time will come!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Will we see the rest of the dumb thing in the ryu books :D?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also re: sitting in funky chairs

In Warframe an update let you open one of the locked rooms in your space station. Here is what was inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKnvJzugeg

Skeith also does a neato little hand motion during Judgement and also clenches his hand into a fist when he shatters the ice block. And yeah, I love that he uses the crucification data drain too. Rad boss.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 21, 2017

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Main Story, Sidequests, Trades, Ryu Books, 1 of each Rare Item, and all party members at the 250 affection cap. That's 100% done in 16 hours, 40 minutes. Been years since I last played these so I had fun doing this. :) Enemies sure were stingier with their weapon drops than I remembered, got far and away more Virus Cores then I'll ever need haha. I know its far from over but thanks for the thread and reigniting my active interest in this dead series!

e: Also discovered that those junk items from Gott Statues (Yellow Candy, etc.) give pretty decent affection increases when gifted to party members.

pick-e fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 21, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Here is the end-game roundup.

Mutation coming this weekend!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

only thing missing is everyone else's reactions to the grunties

still, 25% already, i'm impressed, godspeed lp friend

e: on Mai hearing the note: it's never spelled out why her recognizing that note keeps Mai from going comatose. but if you put it together with what the later liminality volumes talk about, it saved her because it pulled her out of the game. There's something wacky going on with The World that pulls people's consciousness over into the game, but being randomly reminded of her music lessons pulls Mai out of the moment and back into the real world. or at least, i think that's what they were going for?

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 21, 2017

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Nice takedown of Martina, and great Parasite Dragon strat! No clue why it ignored her but having a guaranteed living ally is super nice in that fight. That bonus dungeon was always honestly a big letdown to me considering its a "legendary land" or whatever. Outside of the beginning and the boss room it's just another generic dungeon. The excuse for it being bugged out was lazy since the PD wasn't even a bugged monster.

Liminality is a neat little series and helps to show how nicely tied together the first generation of .hack is (I can only imagine the trouble you'll have summarizing the mess that is Roots). Even the ill-fated Zero novel series has a semi-cameo in Infection via Alf, and later on others. Still I can't help but wonder if including these anime discs drove up the price of the games? Anime back then was fairly expensive so packing it in with a 15 hour game could have been seen as added value. However today people are appalled to find out the games cost $50 at launch, though with each succesive game the previous ones got official pricedrops iirc. Loved how you showed how bonkers the prices for these games are today by the way!

If you do get to go through Link and Versus, do you think you'll then go all the way and do the Project X Zone games as well? Those integrated the .hack trappings into the videogame/giant robot multi-verse pretty well.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well another thing I didn't know about this game: There is the cutest baby dragon 3d model and I want it on a shirt with the phrase" I got data drained and all I got was this shirt"

In seriousness poison grunty and flying crucifix guys are still unsettling.

Keep on keeping on as I always wanted to see all of this

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Herr Tog posted:

In seriousness poison grunty and flying crucifix guys are still unsettling.

It's funny to see a game that runs so thick with anime tropes suddenly have this unknowable... thing in it that looks like it stepped out of H.P. Lovecraft's nightmares.

And the floaty crucifix men are pretty loving creepy too :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen that sentence-ending verbal tic thing in other Japanese media but only written down. Never imagined it being YELLED AT YOU AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICE like that.

• Locked thread