Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

Oh poo poo there's a statute on point he is totally screwed. What the gently caress was this law actually designed to address? It'll be interesting to see whether the "deadly weapon" aspect will stick. I'm guessing it will show up in appeals unless there is some other case where a computer file is deemed an "object."

I'm imagining the prosecutor trying to explain what a .gif meme is to some 80 year old judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

logikv9 posted:

the best part is that @jew_goldstein is a bit of a difficult name to rally around

Anti-Semite

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
"spammed this at [victim #1] let's see if he dies" really shows the disconnect people have between their behavior online and irl. saying something that flippant about a sustained effort to hurt someone is bizarre. it's like all the death threats that insane people openly tweet to women who have opinions about video games. it's just not something that people would do pre-internet (well, I guess people used to send death-threats via letters to public figures they disliked, but they weren't doing that for the lols/retweets)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grondoth posted:

he voted for bush

didn't he vote for Bush in 2004 but not the first time?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

solid :iceburn:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

the complaint is also a great reminder about how easy it is to connect an online handle to the person irl

Not that Jew Goldenstein went particularly out of the way to cover his tracks or anything, but it wouldn't have occurred to me that using a phone number for a login on twitter could be crosschecked against an icloud account

iirc the Dread Pirate Roberts got caught when an irs agent managed to find a screen name that Roberts had used in a chatroom years ago, and then had used again in a post on a forum where he'd asked for coding help (just looked it up. Roberts actually had deleted the post since it contained his gmail with his real name, but someone else had already quoted it. Beautiful.)

edit: beaten by Wikkheiser
Yeah, this guy wasn't really a criminal mastermind, and I can't wait to see all the evidence come out. I'm guessing that, beyond using the same phone number for his Twitter account (on which he committed the crimes) and his iCloud account (on which he stored voluminous quantities of evidence of said crimes, and which he signed up for using his real name), there's a bunch more good stuff. The affidavit hints at people who know him on Twitter knowing his real name, or at least that he's "JR", so whether this is him telling random people on the internet about him or telling people he knows in real life that it's his Twitter account is still to come out, but either way, I bet it's gonna be hilarious. Also, I'm betting that he did all of his criminal activities from his (parents) internet connection, or even if he was smart enough to not connect up to wifi, while the GPS in the phone placed his location squarely in his basement "apartment".

As for the Dread Pirate Roberts thing, when he was first starting out, he used a couple of different online aliases that could be tied back to him with ease. I think the one you're talking about is when he used something like rossulbright@gmail.com to ask a question about coding a darknet market on Stack Exchange (or somewhere similar), but he also used the alias "Frosty" or some variation of it in a whole bunch of places too, and there's a whole set of connections that tie that back to him or his gmail account, but it's not quite the slam dunk that is using your own personal gmail, so it gets mentioned less. Also, don't forget the time that a postal inspector caught a shipment of fake IDs sent to him, which earned him a visit from the FBI, where he told the FBI agents about The Silk Road and how great it is. Guy was a criminal mastermind straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

taking the guns

look at how much you know, it always surprises me, every time
keep being secretly great

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
;)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thug Lessons posted:

This is all as speculative as whether it actually caused a seizure, since in addition to not being doctors we're also not lawyers. He might be able to get out of it by, for example, showing there's no actual evidence the guy actually has photosensitive epilepsy. I do suspect he's hosed but who knows.
You're right, I'm not a doctor, but there's a neurologist quoted in the document itself that is, and he's saying that the guy had a seizure and that was caused by the image. I can infer from that, and I certainly hope that you can too, that this particular neurologist believes that the guy has photosensitive epilepsy, regardless of whether there actually was a seizure this particular time.

Also, another reason to believe he's hosed? He's being charged in federal court. They've got an 80-90% conviction rate, because they get to pick and choose what cases they want to prosecute and they tend to only take on slam dunk cases.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

HELL O THIS IS BALOOGANS WIFE TWEETING I WILL SEE YOU IN COURT AND MY MANY LARGE SONS WILL 'DEAL' WIT YOU

aw, you're married?
harrumph :colbert:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

"spammed this at [victim #1] let's see if he dies" really shows the disconnect people have between their behavior online and irl. saying something that flippant about a sustained effort to hurt someone is bizarre. it's like all the death threats that insane people openly tweet to women who have opinions about video games. it's just not something that people would do pre-internet (well, I guess people used to send death-threats via letters to public figures they disliked, but they weren't doing that for the lols/retweets)

Mitch Ratcliffe posted:

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and Tequila.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Azathoth posted:

Also, another reason to believe he's hosed? He's being charged in federal court. They've got an 80-90% conviction rate, because they get to pick and choose what cases they want to prosecute and they tend to only take on slam dunk cases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

didn't he vote for Bush in 2004 but not the first time?

STILL INEXCUSABLE

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Azathoth posted:

You're right, I'm not a doctor, but there's a neurologist quoted in the document itself that is, and he's saying that the guy had a seizure and that was caused by the image. I can infer from that, and I certainly hope that you can too, that this particular neurologist believes that the guy has photosensitive epilepsy, regardless of whether there actually was a seizure this particular time.

may that cucked fucker rest in peace under the jail; i'm not a fan of the plaintiff either, but gently caress the defendant and the horse he rode in on

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Grondoth posted:

STILL INEXCUSABLE

It's actually way weirder to vote for Bush in 2004 but not 2000. I mean, what the gently caress?

Maybe I'm confusing him with somebody else on this.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's actually way weirder to vote for Bush in 2004 but not 2000. I mean, what the gently caress?

Why? He was quite popular in 04.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

Why? He was quite popular in 04.

With idiot dipshits.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
everything about this case is hilarious to me, I keep imagining @jew_goldstein in a maximum security prison having to explain to other inmates why he was put in jail for sending a tweet

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

do you think he'll be able to explain the irony of his twitter handle to the aryan brotherhood before getting shivved

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

The Brown Menace posted:

do you think he'll be able to explain the irony of his twitter handle to the aryan brotherhood before getting shivved

Tyler Bingham, one of the leaders of AB, is part Jewish, and even sports a star of David tat on his arm.

Prison rules of whiteness are much more lax! @Jew_Goldstien will be a made man - he can kill with a tweet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I saw a post in some other thread about how the person had a friend who worked on the news and that the women news presenters would get loads of insane fan mail calling them whores and such if there was anything slightly off about their appearance so its just a lot more visible

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
thats the 'fashy' haircut i think

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Its the haircut of 80% of European men and boys under 30. Fashy here is still shaved head.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

Its the haircut of 80% of European men and boys under 30.

Like we said, flashy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/DukeOfHeresy/status/843891949035765760

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I imagine you have a little time to look at yourself in the mirror every morning as you intentionally make that hairdo "come to life", which is what really blows my mind. Are you all saying to yourself "mmm yeah, I'm looking good. No one is going to notice the fact that my mouth is advocating for the stupidest things imaginable, not when I have this big ol' bale of nonsense swaying in the breeze up there, mmmmmm."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HorseRenoir posted:

everything about this case is hilarious to me, I keep imagining @jew_goldstein in a maximum security prison having to explain to other inmates why he was put in jail for sending a tweet

desperately flipping one of those 3x5 notecards over, praying that the people advancing on him are epileptic

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Is there an alt-right dude who isn't a yuuge moron or is that just a given

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

logikv9 posted:

Is there an alt-right dude who isn't a yuuge moron or is that just a given

I mean the two things that make you alt-right are being right-wing and being too misanthropic, arrogant, and obnoxious for the republican party

you tell me

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
double lol

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/844312314195128320

they literally found this guy because posted a photo of all his personal information to the cloud

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm thinking about every single time an alt-right CHUD laughed at some black criminals for videotaping their crimes, and I can't stop smiling.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm thinking about every single time an alt-right CHUD laughed at some black criminals for videotaping their crimes, and I can't stop smiling.

now, grab the lotion; i think you know what to do after that

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

its ok everybody jontron epxlained himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFf7qwlnSc

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Uncle Wemus posted:

its ok everybody jontron epxlained himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIFf7qwlnSc

"look, i understand blacks and the us got off to a shaky start, but aren't whites discriminated against too" *edits in clip of a satirical show to prove point*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

now, grab the lotion; i think you know what to do after that

I don't get it, how is lotion gonna make you stop posting?

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/status/844392487074582528

thanks for making Tomi Lahren feel good libs

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
gj libs your obsession with baby killing has led you to throw your support behind the alt-right lady that calls you all idiots

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

TOMI: All this support makes me realize... It's like we're two sides of the same coin :D... a coin being deployed by calculated hands into a dive bar jukebox... deployed to summon up nostalgic tunes as tensions mount between the patrons in order to make the inevitable violence seem more meaningful... But that can't be it! :D

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

somebody said Tomi Lahren is gonna get hired by MSNBC and I think that's definitely a possibility now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

warm take: the same alienated 'internet not real lol' attitude that makes it easy to do that is also behind the bad complaints about how deliberately giving someone a seizure being illegal is silly because it's 'going to jail for a tweet' or the like. it was & is a popular attitude but was never actually true or healthy, and has become less so as the internet has become more pervasive and important

the internet is sounds and images and social interaction and all those things are important to people's lives, sometimes to the extent they cause their brains to crash, which is bad

that said I absolutely believe people did this before the internet, they just had different excuses and couldn't broadcast so far