Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I'm really, really suprised by this (that is, by the apparent prevailing mood, not this poll specifically since there have been a few along these lines). The middle class bubble I generally talk politics in - and this thread - suggests that there's been a fair shift of people, if not to independence exactly, but at least more open to the idea of it due to Brexit, and certainly supportive of the principle of another referendum on the basis of a "material change in circumstances." It's worth bearing in mind that this poll, and others like it, aren't registering support for independence but just support for the idea of another referendum, which you'd assume to be higher (n.b. I realise this might be an unwarranted assumption; does anyone more familiar with political behavior models/polling know?). I know ~1/3 of SNP voters went with leave, but I'm amazed that significant portion of those clearly prioritise independence from the EU above independence from England, which seems strikingly odd to me: while there's definitely always been Mail-flavoured barmy-Brussels talk floating in the aether, I've never got the sense that the strength of feeling about the two issues were in any way comparable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cerv posted:

The gamble is doing it specifically to be in an EU member independent state. Most likely you'll end up in neither.
Hundreds of thousands aren't doing that. It wasn't even a thing a year ago.

And yes I did mean to post that in the UK thread. Oops

hundreds of thousands of people leave the UK every year.

it's not much of a gamble moving to scotland. it ain't so hard to move back to england.

it's like moving from illinois to wisconsin.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Niric posted:

It's worth bearing in mind that this poll, and others like it, aren't registering support for independence but just support for the idea of another referendum, which you'd assume to be higher (n.b. I realise this might be an unwarranted assumption; does anyone more familiar with political behavior models/polling know?).

The poll I've posted asked both support for a referendum and for independence?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

The poll I've posted asked both support for a referendum and for independence?

Phone posting, so didn't see the first poll there. Still surprised that support for another referendum is relatively low; would assume that everyone who'd vote yes would want one and that more than 5% of those who would vote no would support the principle of another referendum based on Brexit changing the context of the vote. Is there any poll for indepedence without the don't knows removed? It's be interesting to see if it's higher than previously or not

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd have thought there's Yes voters out there who think a referendum shouldn't be held too soon as it is more likely to be lost.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Niric posted:

Phone posting, so didn't see the first poll there. Still surprised that support for another referendum is relatively low; would assume that everyone who'd vote yes would want one and that more than 5% of those who would vote no would support the principle of another referendum based on Brexit changing the context of the vote. Is there any poll for indepedence without the don't knows removed? It's be interesting to see if it's higher than previously or not
There will be a lot of soft Yes people that feel that dragging the country through another referendum is more off putting than remaining with things as they are now. Because Brexit hasn't really effected anything in people's lives yet whereas memories of being very sick of the referendum campaign are still fresh.

There's also a lot of feelings from both that the question was decided already.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sturgeon finally responds to those rumours that the SNP were cooling on EU membership

Sturgeon: Scotland will keep the pound and apply for full EU membership

and adds a dollop of the oh-so-successful 'it's our pound' argument from back in 2014.

Good luck with that one.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Have to admit I agree with Pissflaps here - keeping the pound is a bad idea through and through. We'd do much better with an independent currency or perhaps even (shock horror) the Euro.

e: though the latter might well depend on political developments across Europe. If France leaves the EU nobody's going to want to be stuck holding Euros.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Sturgeon finally responds to those rumours that the SNP were cooling on EU membership

and adds a dollop of the oh-so-successful 'it's our pound' argument from back in 2014.

Good luck with that one.

How on earth are the SNP still so bad at this?

quote:

Nicola Sturgeon has said an independent Scotland would keep the pound because it is "our currency as much as it is the currency of anywhere else".

Framing it in terms of ownership is really dumb: I mean, not only is it economically illiterate but it didn't even work the first time around. It's especially odd when there's option of just saying "we'll continue to use the pound with a view to adopting out own currency when the time is right," and when currency was such a talking point last time that you'd hope they'd at least have given a bit of thought to a better answer

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Congrats to No Winning the indyref again in a record 00:00:00 time. Done before it was even a thing.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
Pushing for the pound the day after conference so there's no vote/rebellion in the party on it. Gotta hand it to the leadership, that takes some balls.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Leggsy posted:

Pushing for the pound the day after conference so there's no vote/rebellion in the party on it. Gotta hand it to the leadership, that takes some balls.

If you replace your brain with balls then sure.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

Oh absolutely, I think it's a moronic idea. Especially considering the leadership are undermining the commission they set up to examine currency options. Hopefully they tell the leadership to go gently caress themselves and support an Independent currency.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
A rebellion against the SNP leadership from within the SNP is as likely as a currency union with the UK.

The reason why the SNP struggles to present a compelling case for currency and other such issues is simply that the current situation is - economically - far better than their alternative.

Having said that, they'd be better served picking one option and hammering on it than attempting to present a buffet of choices.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

Speaking as an actual member of the SNP, the party isn't as uniform on issues as you'd probably think (See: Alex Neil on Brexit).

The one thing we all agree on is that Scotland should be independent. How an independent Scotland should look is something that is constantly debated within the lower reaches (aka the vast majority) of the party.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
When does this commission report back?

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

When it's done I guess. Although there have been rumblings of a falling out between the chair Andrew Wilson and the SNP leadership.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-economics-guru-warns-independent-10028721

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-a7630621.html

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
well it is called the pound sterling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pissflaps posted:

Good luck with that one.

OH! MY! GOD!

When will these loving people learn? I swear to god. It was their loving unconvincing, wishy-washy-yet-insistent position on "IT'S OOR POOND" that had a pretty large part to play in the last referendum being lost, or not being closer. But no, lets just wheel out Nicola with the same tired argument.

Either we launch a Scottish Pound or we accept the Euro, which we'll have to if we want to join the EU anyway. But good luck selling that, because at this point most people think that unless you're Germany, membership of the Euro is not a great idea.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
The first thing I ever posted like four years ago when I found there was a thread on Scottish independence was basically "Scotland couldn't keep the pound, that obviously can't work and will never happen".

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

They think it seems low risk to the electorate. There were quite a few questions answered in a similar way last time, using variations on "Don't worry that will be the same as it is now". The monarchy was one example. People are more likely to.go for a less dramatic change.

It gives me pause because it suggests they haven't properly engaged with a big issues. Currency was used as a stick by the union campaign but what impact it had by itself overall I have no idea. The wider theme of unconsidered risk was important though.

Edit: Indie campaigners was curemcy one you heard on doorsteps?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The Scottish Krone.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
From a complete layman's perspective, it seems logical that if two unions have their own separate currency, and you are removing yourself from one union in favour of the other, you would make the respective switch of currency as well. I understand the viewpoint that it's "our" currency not "the UK's", but it seems trivial with a ready-made alternative laying in wait.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sterling is definitely the UK's currency in terms of both ownership and use.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Sterling is definitely the UK's currency in terms of both ownership and use.

But not the Steling pound.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Niric posted:

Framing it in terms of ownership is really dumb: I mean, not only is it economically illiterate but it didn't even work the first time around. It's especially odd when there's option of just saying "we'll continue to use the pound with a view to adopting out own currency when the time is right," and when currency was such a talking point last time that you'd hope they'd at least have given a bit of thought to a better answer

It's worse than that. The main argument for independence this time is so Scotland won't be tethered to the UK economy after it gets torpedoed by Turbo Nutter Brexit. Keeping the British currency is doing exactly what independence is intended to prevent.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Plenty of places just use the dollar as a currency, just use that

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

my hobby is taking back control of our destiny by letting the UK/the EU control our monetary policy. that's very good, to me.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Yorkshiremen are a pretty good medium of exchange imo and the restrictive window that is campaigning season in the north of England will help to prevent runaway inflation.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

TomViolence posted:

Yorkshiremen are a pretty good medium of exchange imo and the restrictive window that is campaigning season in the north of England will help to prevent runaway inflation.
bit inconvenient to store in your wallet, though

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

TomViolence posted:

They also have the advantage of being clearly identifiable, since anyone coming within earshot will be informed loudly and likely repeatedly that the currency is, in fact, from Yorkshire

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Niric posted:

They also have the advantage of being clearly identifiable, since anyone coming within earshot will be informed loudly and likely repeatedly that the currency is, in fact, from Yorkshire

Yorkshirehoolin is a nice thought

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Odd development

https://twitter.com/hopenothate/status/843834413960101890

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

quote:

Dowson described himself as “nihilist”

Intriguing.

I mean, say what you want about National Soc-

quote:

has made his name and living for over 30 years fronting various bodies campaigning against abortion and gay groups.

In the last decade Dowson has cemented his profile as a hard-line Ulster Unionist helping finance controversial and confrontational far-right British political parties

Now working and living in Budapest, Hungary, Dowson has once more linked up with former BNP leader Nick Griffin to help support a number of central and eastern European far-right militias.

Dowson was given a three-month suspended jail sentence for offences linked to union flag protests in Northern Ireland.

He remains a “firm believer” in the “Union”

believed a free and Independent Scotland “would protect us from the excesses of Muslim domination

"If I believe in something, you know me, I’ll go for it full blast"

his planned intercession would be based on “patriotism, sense and survival.”

Oh.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Someone's not checked who the foreign minister is recently, have they.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I think he's trying to support it so "all those migrants and moslims will flock to Scotland instead of Engarland & Britons will be free"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://athousandflowers.net/2017/03/20/fash-for-indy-leading-far-right-figure-says-he-will-be-backing-scottish-independence-100/

quote:

Regular readers of this blog may be familiar with the name Jim Dowson. Originally from Lanarkshire, he is the hard-right Christian loyalist who, over the years, has made a name for himself associating with – and pumping money into – an alarming assortment of fascist fronts. From militant anti-abortion groups, the Belfast flag protests of 2012, the success of the late-2000s BNP, to the brief emergence of Britain First, Dowson has been there, quietly pulling the strings.

More recently, he has been co-ordinating armed militias in eastern Europe to “hunt down” refugees, and he was profiled in the New York Times in December as the man behind a “constellation of websites” pushing out pro-Trump “fake news” to an audience, he claimed, of millions. Long viewed as the “invisible man” of Britain’s far-right, Dowson was recently ranked as Britain’s most influential far-right figure by campaigners Hope Not Hate.

Now, it has emerged, there is more one line that Dowson can add to his ever expanding CV: campaigner for Scottish independence.

Over the weekend, Dowson was speaking at a far-right conference in Hungary, where he currently spends much of his time. Outside the event, he made the surprise revelation to journalists from Hope Not Hate that he will be “backing Scottish independence 100%” and intends to put his militant anti-immigration agenda at the heart of his campaign.

The justification for this is, apparently, that England is already “stuffed”, that independence will protect Scotland from “Muslim domination”, and that the emergence of a new country will see a huge change in its political landscape – one that, evidently, he thinks he can take advantage of.

The notion of an intolerant side to Scottish nationalism is one of that some No supporters tried desperately to make come alive ahead of the 2014 referendum. That point of discussion blew up again recently following Sadiq Khan’s misguided comments comparing Scottish nationalism to racism. It was, and remains, a largely baseless argument, although that is a mix of both accident and design.

Ever since fascism first emerged as a political force in the 1920s, its Scottish incarnation has always been deeply tied to British nationalism and loyalism. That can, in fact, partially explain the total failure of fascist organisations to gain any serious ground in Scotland over the decades; any marginal success has been on the coat-tails of loyalism, rather than in its own right.

Jim Dowson is many things, but he is not stupid. His overnight conversion to Scottish independence is not a result of a sudden disavowal of his hardline unionism, but is merely a tactic in his wider game of sowing division and furthering anti-immigrant sentiment in Scotland.

It would be easy to scoff, but it’s a move with some logic behind it. Dowson has seen a large, populist movement that has engaged hundreds of thousands of ordinary Scots. There is an embedded distrust of traditional institutions and the mainstream media within it and a celebrated dependence on social media and antagonistic bloggers. These are not necessarily negatives, but Dowson clearly sees an opportunity.

His speech to a 2015 international far-right conference in Russia now, in view of the US elections, seem prescient: “We have the ability to take a video from today and put it in half of every single household in the USA, where these people can for the first time learn the truth, because their own media tell lies, they tell lies about Russia… We have to use popular culture to reach into the living rooms of the youth of America, of Britain, France, Germany, and bring them in. said. Then we can get them the message.”

Certainly, there are plenty of Yes voters who are open to anti-immigration politics. A Panelbase poll from earlier this year showed 38% of Yes voters agreeing with a (albeit loaded) statement that there is “a problem with too much immigration in Scotland.” This rose to 56% among 2014 No voters.

A recent Herald/BMG poll showed “Yes leavers” – those who voted to leave the EU in 2016 and also supported Yes in 2014 – say that immigration is the biggest single issue facing Scotland today (at 23%, compared to 2% of Yes remainers). Does Dowson see a captive audience?

Fascism in Scotland has tied itself to unionism for decades with minimal success. There are already far more capable institutions fulfilling the role of patriotic marching organisations that put the union to the fore of their ideology. The danger is that Dowson and his ilk pour their resources into hijacking sections of a pro-independence movement that has never allowed anti-immigrant sentiment to gain any traction.

Nicola Sturgeon put standing up for migrants at the heart of her SNP conference speech on Saturday and the Yes movement has continually emphasised its inclusive vision of independence. But it would be foolish to overlook that large sections of the Scottish population are still open to racist, anti-immigrant ideas, even if they haven’t yet found an electoral outlet for them, and there is no room for complacency now that one of Europe’s leading fascists has stated his intention to capitalise on that. Many forces will be trying to shape a new Scotland post-indy, and we need to ensure Dowson is kept as far away as possible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The preponderance of credulous, zealous and gullible people within the ranks of Scottish Nationalism makes it a juicy target.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Did anyone see this yesterday at Central Station? Couple getting hitched after Glasgow train station proposal.

Not to my tastes, but fair play. The main thing though, who goes on a first date to a station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

"we met here on our first date…"
presumably they met at the station before heading to the proper venue for the date. it's convenient.