Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Azran posted:

I could swear the only instance of censorship I know of (the one in Gargomon's first appearance) was also in the LA dub, weird. It's been a long time since I watched halfway through the series (the channel broadcasting it here never finished the run) so yeah, faulty memory and all that. What kind of changes were made to the crests, by the way?

Joe's went from Sincerity (or Faith, whatever you want to translate it to, it's Sincerity in the Latin American dub) to Reliability, Mimi's went from Purity to Sincerity, causing no end of confusion between people who are accustomed to different dubs.

Not to mention how the Perfect level became Ultimate despite an Ultimate level existing, so that Ultimate became Mega, which is so confusing that I just don't use Ultimate for any level to avoid it. And then Appmon added its own Ultimate level, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well, Appmon's is "Kiwami" as opposed to "Kyūkyokutai", so I imagine it's far less confusing for Japanese speaks.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The English names of the levels are a leftover from before the anime launched. In the western version of the original virtual pets, they called it ultimate because it was the highest level you could get to. They didn't keep the individual name changes though, like devimon to darkmon or monzaemon to teddymon (which honestly would have made more sense for the English dub)

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
From WtW

quote:

Collecting Digimon products has lately been mostly importing, which can get pricey...but we finally have some new products coming soon in North America!

Zag Toys will be releasing a set of their Domez collectibles themed after Digimon Adventure.

These are nice and small collectible figures that you can use as a desk toy, or put on a shelf.

The Digimon Domez will come blindpacked and include Agumon, Gabumon, Biyomon, Tentomon, Palmon, Gomamon, Patamon, and Gatomon. In addition there will be a chase figure of Greymon (we only have a silhouette image of him below.)

Each Domez is 3 inches tall, with a diameter of 2.5 inches, with the character inside the clear dome (the figure doesn't come out of the dome.)

They can also stack and attach together (and to the other lines of Domez.)

The Digimon Domez blind-packs have an MSRP of $4.99

The Domez will start off in Hot Topic on March 24th, and continue to FYE, Newbury Comics, Gamestop, and Five Below on March 27th. Other stores should stock them shortly after that. A few people have reported that a number of Hot Topics (and possibly other stores) already have them now, so you may want to check yourself if you want to get them now.

Also, later in the Spring, there will be a line of Digimon Adventure plush toys. We have an image of early versions via a photo from UCC Distributing of their booth at the recent New York Toy Fair. Zag Toys has told us these are non-finalized designs on display and won't necessarily be the final product.

I want that Greymon plushie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the proportions on most of those are hard to look at.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Gatomon had the Cotton Hill treatment, apparently.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so apparently someone asked Kenji Watanabe, the current head of the brand, whether Jesmon's name actually came from "Jesus".

It doesn't. It's just an acronym that coincidentally sounds similar.

What the acronym stands for however is unknown.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TFRazorsaw posted:

so apparently someone asked Kenji Watanabe, the current head of the brand, whether Jesmon's name actually came from "Jesus".

It doesn't. It's just an acronym that coincidentally sounds similar.

What the acronym stands for however is unknown.

I feel like this is a dodge, considering it literally digivolves from a Digimon called Savior.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Saver, Saber, Savior. It's kind of a toss up and the Japanese writing doesn't really match how savior is written in Japanese.

In short this entire line is a mess, romanization wise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also he literally has the Holy Trinity as an attack/motif

That is totally a dodge

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Except they're the three musketeers, not the holy trinity.

I mean, digimon is never subtle about their religious influences. I mean, one of their monsters is literally freaking Buddha. Christianity isn't taboo in Japan, so there's really no reason why they'd even bother dodging in the first place.

His answer even recognized the "Jesus" thing as a happy accident. I think he's serious.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
apparently buddhamon is a real thing, but NOT a real digimon, very disappointed

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I was referring to Shakamon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

New Appmon key art

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Zubamon evos have been revealed

http://digimon.net/cat-digimon-dictionary/06-ha/blitzgreymon/index.html

http://digimon.net/cat-digimon-dictionary/02-ka/cresgarurumon/index.html

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I haven't seen anything that says those two evolve from Zubamon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That's because they're not, they're more likely related to Omegamon Alter-B as its profile in the international version of Digimon World: Next Order states that it was originally an Omegamon Alter-S that was mixed with Black Digitron by someone, lost its mind, and became berserk.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/843140229112381440
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/843140985525694464
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/843142327493251073
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/843144653582999552

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems this time the starters will be Tentomon, Gotsumon and Betamon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
did they give any impressions of a release date?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Digimon stands for digital monsters

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

mandatory lesbian posted:

did they give any impressions of a release date?

Most we know is "2017". Likely late 2017, considering we don't have anything more specific.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I don't believe you.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Yes?

What brought that on Hitler?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Burkion posted:

Yes?

What brought that on Hitler?

digimons are the champions

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I've finally decided to get into this franchise and was just curious, are any of the movies canon (that is, are directly referenced in the shows proper) to the series or do they mostly just stand by themselves? If they are, where exactly would be the proper placement for them?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 20, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

So I've finally decided to get into this franchise and was just curious, are any of the movies canon (that is, are directly referenced in the shows proper) to the series or do they mostly just stand by themselves? If they are, where exactly would be the proper placement for them?

So the only ones I know are canon for sure

The first movie is basically a prologue for season 1. By that I mean, the first Japanese movie. It's like, the first 20 minutes of the first American movie.

The second movie is canon as well, it takes place after Adventure but before Adventure 02. This would be the best segment of the American movie.

The third movie is non canon and might be more incomprehensible in Japanese than it is in English.

The fourth movie...might be canon? Maybe? Maaaaaybe? If it is, it's after Adventure 02. Tri would come after that, and has done nothing to answer that question.

The two Tamer movies ...MIGHT be canon? I think the Locomon one is. If the Locomon one is, it's after Tamers

After that I don't know

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

The first movie is a prequel to Adventure, so it's canon.

The second movie is set after Adventure but before 02, so it's canon as well.

The third and first 02 movie doesn't line up with the series at all, but Wallace shows up in 02 drama CDs and the movie is used as a basis for spin off media so it's dubiously considered canon.

The fourth movie is set post-02 and while Tri doesn't really say anything about it there's nothing that contradicts anything. It's canon.

The first Tamers movie doesn't quite line up with the show but Takato's cousin shows up later on so it's canon.

The Frontier movie isn't canon to its series at all, but you can make it work if you squint and don't wonder why a character doesn't seem to visibly be carrying a certain mcguffin.

Savers' movie doesn't fit in anywhere at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So basically only the Prequel movie and Our War Game really count in terms of the overall series, that's about what I figured. Is the Digimon Tri movie series worth watching?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

As much as anything else, but no one can really say for sure there till it's done. It's canon, though, and the producers have said repeatedly it's going to explain how the world of the 02 epilogue came about.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I should point out that while the second Tamers movie isn't technically canon, as it had no involvement from Chiaki Konaka and it contradicts the Drama CD that serves as the proper epilogue to the series and was made by him, I still consider it the actual finale of Tamers and the drama CD non-canon because gently caress, the poor kids went through far too much to not get their happy ending. Sometimes, you just have to accept the author is wrong, and this is one of those times.

Also Tri has been pretty good but it's somewhat slow-paced and the last movie was not as good as the rest. It's still worth a watch, but with two movies to go we don't know if it'll drop the ball by the end.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Tri has been pretty good but it's somewhat slow-paced and the last movie was not as good as the rest. It's still worth a watch, but with two movies to go we don't know if it'll drop the ball by the end.

I would say about 40% of Tri has felt like balls being dropped, despite my still liking it. I think part of the issue is that it's paced as six movies, but we likely won't get any real answers until the last one. It almost feels like they've stretched the last movie or two out, and then rushed the endings, instead of fixing the pacing to feel more natural.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I should point out that while the second Tamers movie isn't technically canon, as it had no involvement from Chiaki Konaka and it contradicts the Drama CD that serves as the proper epilogue to the series and was made by him, I still consider it the actual finale of Tamers and the drama CD non-canon because gently caress, the poor kids went through far too much to not get their happy ending. Sometimes, you just have to accept the author is wrong, and this is one of those times.

wrong, bitch

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
WHere is what is canon to me

If I can personally partake in it and enjoy it, I will consider it canon.

So gently caress the Drama CDs that only ever came out in Japan.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Well that's nice and good but not what affects things at the end of the day.

It's not like Konaka had any lack of appreciation for the movie. He acknowledged it and even praised it, and that CD has a musical nod to Ruki's song form it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Seems this time the starters will be Tentomon, Gotsumon and Betamon

With them already trademarking it in Europe gives me some hope that they might try a unified world release of some sort? Or is this too optimistic? Localization confirmed anyway so yay.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ffvr0

First video footage.

Confirms Lunamon, Rexmon, Volcamon, and Raptordramon.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Burkion posted:

WHere is what is canon to me

If I can personally partake in it and enjoy it, I will consider it canon.

So gently caress the Drama CDs that only ever came out in Japan.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Where do Summer Wars fall into canon?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Where do Summer Wars fall into canon?

The fallen hero timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I read a bunch of the dramas when I couldn't sleep earlier this month and they are 99% terrible. The other 1% is the Tamers epilogue even though a buncha nerds are trying to interpret it as referencing the Wonderswan games.
Tri has made some odd decisions but ignoring the dramas was a good one.