Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SHISHKABOB posted:

She became friends with coyote because it pissed off eglamore and the court, which owns. She became friends with ysengrin out of compassion, which also owns. They both suffer from issues about self-image. Hiding parts of themselves behind a facade.

Yup, behind that awful manipulation, emotional blackmail and memory stealing, Coyote is just a nice guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Iceclaw posted:

Yup, behind that awful manipulation, emotional blackmail and memory stealing, Coyote is just a nice guy!

I think shish was referring to ysengrin more, there

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww, I love Red and Ayilu. They're fun. I hope they haven't been written out of the comic!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Aww, I love Red and Ayilu. They're fun. I hope they haven't been written out of the comic!

it's exceedingly unlikely that this is the last we'll ever seen of them, given that the faerie's role in the court's operations still hasn't been explained. friendship is definitely over with annie, though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Potato Salad posted:

Have we actually seen Elgamore use anything other than a sword?

He knocked the gently caress out of Jack's dad that one time.

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's exceedingly unlikely that this is the last we'll ever seen of them, given that the faerie's role in the court's operations still hasn't been explained. friendship is definitely over with annie, though

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 17, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iceclaw posted:

Coyote is a fun guy, not a nice guy. It's great hanging out with him at parties, but he'll eat you the second he gets bored.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also pretty much just as equally Coyote's fault.

That really isn't much of a defense

"Aha yes but this other person was ALSO a prick makes u think"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Missing some reference to "burning bridges" for av/post combo

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There've been hints of it around the Reynardine/medium stuff but I'm expecting one of the next shoes to drop will be the front-and-centering of that Surma actually was a pretty manipulative, awful person

Did she let Anthony know that having a baby would kill her before or after she got pregnant?

Surma: "Oh, I don't think I ever mentioned that once I give birth, I'll slowly fade away and die through a years-long process that you'll suffer through every second of. You're cool with that, right?"

Tony: "But... I've already worked out every aspect of our future together. It's on a spreadsheet and everything!"

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

That really isn't much of a defense

"Aha yes but this other person was ALSO a prick makes u think"

Who is defending anybody.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

Did she let Anthony know that having a baby would kill her before or after she got pregnant?

Surma: "Oh, I don't think I ever mentioned that once I give birth, I'll slowly fade away and die through a years-long process that you'll suffer through every second of. You're cool with that, right?"

Tony: "But... I've already worked out every aspect of our future together. It's on a spreadsheet and everything!"

As Tony tells it: She told him, but he was certain he was such a good doctor that he'd be able to figure out a way to save her.

(Also, Surma's flaws have already been illustrated. We don't need to have a chapter where a character broadly eulogizes "attention, Surma was a terrible person and here's why".)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Surma hasn't had that much screen time. I'd imagine her flaws will come to the fore whenever we get the explanation of what happened between her, Eglamore, and Tony.

Which might be coming up fairly soon if we continue to deal with the emotional fallout of the Jeanne stuff.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Ditocoaf posted:

As Tony tells it: She told him, but he was certain he was such a good doctor that he'd be able to figure out a way to save her.

(Also, Surma's flaws have already been illustrated. We don't need to have a chapter where a character broadly eulogizes "attention, Surma was a terrible person and here's why".)

I'd gotten the impression that the /only/ reason Antimony knew her mother at all is because of Tony's medical expertise; that in all previous cases, the mother died during, or immediately after childbirth.

I also suspect that what the psychopomps demanded from Antimony was a rejection of something Tony did/is doing/will do to potentially /fix/ the issue of issue with Antimony. So "You belong to us now" is not "You get us souls when we ask," but instead "You return to the way things were, and die in childbirth, as the Rules intended."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

maltesh posted:

I'd gotten the impression that the /only/ reason Antimony knew her mother at all is because of Tony's medical expertise; that in all previous cases, the mother died during, or immediately after childbirth.

I also suspect that what the psychopomps demanded from Antimony was a rejection of something Tony did/is doing/will do to potentially /fix/ the issue of issue with Antimony. So "You belong to us now" is not "You get us souls when we ask," but instead "You return to the way things were, and die in childbirth, as the Rules intended."

I don't think this is correct. Nothing we've learned about Surma's condition indicated that it was out of the ordinary, or that Tony had even the slightest measure of success in saving her.

Some sources: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=804
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=818
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=819

All of this seems to me to imply that they knew Surma would linger after birth and eventually die once Annie grew old enough and inherited all of her fire.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

"Rectum? drat near killed 'em!"

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
"If it wasn't for that horse, blah blah blah you know the rest"

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

This looks like it'll be... interesting :magical:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wow, Tony's gonna lose a leg now too, huh?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What a nice court you have there.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There was literally a whole arc after the whole 'dad is back and mean' thing entirely about how it pushed Antimony to grow as a person, expressed through a literal struggle and reconciliation with her repressed inner nature. There were, like, extended lectures from wolf dad about how she needs to grow up and how she has already done so, which she took to heart and acted on, and a subplot about coming to terms with the fact that her dad is another flawed human being too.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Also lol at complaining about how Annie hasn't evinced growth from this when the only possible way to cram that in would be... a last-panel text box that reassures you with an editorial voice directly explaining that yup, she grew from this? Like, if you need that kind of ego-stroking to deal with your ~fave character~ suffering some troubles it might be a sign you've vested too much of yourself in this dumb webcom.

I don't know, has she really grown as a person? When Tony came back and stuck her in a box for a year because of her cheating, she intentionally cut herself off from her emotions, and eventually she took them back. How has her relationship with her father changed since then? She's willing to live her own life instead of harming herself to appeal to him, I guess. What did she learn? Not to cheat on schoolwork, and maybe not to hide the truth from herself and others. But here she is again, saying that she didn't want the court to find out about their ghost-hunting.

I think what bigstupidjellyfish is getting at, or at least how I read it, is that Annie often has these problems, but we never see the end results. Theoretically, she's learned a lot about growing up and dealing with people and so on, but in practice, she just gets in trouble, and we presume those detentions improve her. It's not a question of whether the Jeanne thing was good or bad, but whether we see any growth reflected in her behavior. Being less impulsive, maybe. Not trying to lie to others. Showing any sort of understanding of others' feelings. Chapters usually end when we get to that part, and then wahey! It's Coyote!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I don't know, has she really grown as a person? When Tony came back and stuck her in a box for a year because of her cheating, she intentionally cut herself off from her emotions, and eventually she took them back. How has her relationship with her father changed since then? She's willing to live her own life instead of harming herself to appeal to him, I guess. What did she learn? Not to cheat on schoolwork, and maybe not to hide the truth from herself and others. But here she is again, saying that she didn't want the court to find out about their ghost-hunting.

I think what bigstupidjellyfish is getting at, or at least how I read it, is that Annie often has these problems, but we never see the end results. Theoretically, she's learned a lot about growing up and dealing with people and so on, but in practice, she just gets in trouble, and we presume those detentions improve her. It's not a question of whether the Jeanne thing was good or bad, but whether we see any growth reflected in her behavior. Being less impulsive, maybe. Not trying to lie to others. Showing any sort of understanding of others' feelings. Chapters usually end when we get to that part, and then wahey! It's Coyote!

Go back and read the comic at earlier times and compare to present times. I have my own opinion about it, but there's ways to look at this objectively using evidence.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh boy

Oh no

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looks like this will be a very :getin: chapter.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Coyote? I love that guy.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Coyote golf outing!

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

The coyote says " AWOOOOO YIP YIP YIP!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
J'entend le loup, le renard et le coyote,
J'entend le loup et le renard chanter

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

SHISHKABOB posted:

But it all turns out great! Smitty had a fuckin sword through his chest.

It was actually a dagger, not a sword :goonsay:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hremsfeld posted:

it's pretty gauche of you to be a pedant about that

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

:golfclap:

Stop making me feel like an old man, dammit, that wasn't from that long ago.
e: Dans la vallée, hé ho, d'Annan la li la la.

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 20, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's pretty gauche of you to be a pedant about that

I'm mainly gauche tbh

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Not very adroit of you to say. :v:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
A main gauche...?!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

EmmyOk posted:

I'm mainly gauche tbh

No wonder you love Red so much.

Cat Mattress posted:

Explain please.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cavelcade posted:

Explain please.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Jument_de_Michao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vx63PZ0flo

Le fantôme de la Jeanne et son petit copain,
sont passés dans l'Ether et ne bloquent plus rien

Coyote viendra et quand Coyote viendra,
le fantôme de la Jeanne on le regrettera

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 21, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hremsfeld posted:

A very abstract parry if I must say.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Surma would linger after birth and eventually die once Annie grew old enough and inherited all of her fire.

In other words...

HEIR OF FIRE DESTROYED

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

A very abstract parry if I must say.

't was a sharp retort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
And then Coyote said, "I have a bone to pick with you! :haw:"