Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Those are cool. I want to do a typology series soon.

Did you talk to any of the ice fishermen who used/owned those shacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

thank you! yeah, there were 2 guys there drinking beer and watching for those little flags on wooden poles you see in the first set to pop up. seems like a nice lifestyle. we talked for a bit and they warned us where not to step. of course, I ended up putting one foot through the ice and had to bail.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Vernazza by alkanphel, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Well, I hope I did good. I just bought a late model Pentax 67 with the later 105mm 2.8 for $650 bucks. I was really on the fence for a 67 or a C330, but lust finally won over. I will be broke after I buy some Portra 400 and black & white off Amazon, so I'll have to hold off on getting a light meter. Guess it's sunny 16 for awhile or lug around an extra camera. So worried It's gonna get here and be a pile of junk or need all kinds of work right off the bat:

Please feel free to flame my worries and call me a moran.

Edit: Apparently the big wooden dick handle is not cool?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Choicecut posted:

Well, I hope I did good. I just bought a late model Pentax 67 with the later 105mm 2.8 for $650 bucks. I was really on the fence for a 67 or a C330, but lust finally won over. I will be broke after I buy some Portra 400 and black & white off Amazon, so I'll have to hold off on getting a light meter. Guess it's sunny 16 for awhile or lug around an extra camera. So worried It's gonna get here and be a pile of junk or need all kinds of work right off the bat:

Please feel free to flame my worries and call me a moran.

Edit: Apparently the big wooden dick handle is not cool?

You can get metering prisms for these, and you should.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this works well enough with any free app you can find on your phone that supports it.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

VelociBacon posted:

You can get metering prisms for these, and you should.

I may get one down the road when the budget permits. Are they pretty accurate?

iSheep posted:

this works well enough with any free app you can find on your phone that supports it.

I didn't even know they made these!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Choicecut posted:

I may get one down the road when the budget permits. Are they pretty accurate?

They are but they're matrix only.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Use a phone light meter app, shoot Portra and overexpose a little.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

My stupid secret is that I use a light meter app even though I could buy a real light meter or get a metered prism. The phone is just always there anyway.

It figures the reading differently for the front and rear cameras. Between those two, I can generally get a good exposure - in daytime or indoor light, at least.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Took the 4x5 plunge. Picking up a shen-hao ptb45 + nikkor 150mm f/5.6 later in the week.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Atlanta Marriott Perimeter - Kodak Medalist - Porta 160 rerolled.

This Medalist actually saw service during WW2, and badly needs a CLA.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Thoogsby posted:

Took the 4x5 plunge. Picking up a shen-hao ptb45 + nikkor 150mm f/5.6 later in the week.

What's up new to 4x5 buddy :homebrew::hf: :homebrew:

I just got a Graphic View II monorail which I posted about earlier (maybe in the gear thread?). It's bulky but not nearly as cumbersome as I thought. I'll be able to haul it around without too much difficulty.

It's fitted with an old Graflex back and only came with one film holder. Before I check ebay, does anyone have any Graflex holders they'd be willing to sell for next to nothing? These are the ones with the slots down the side.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Would the experienced and discerning 4x5 shooter prefer a linhof master technika, or a chamonix? Or is there much of a difference?

Also, has anyone here ever hosed with any kind of Mamiya Press?

And, how about the handling differences between an RB67 and an RZ? Are the RZ bodies appreciably lighter or easier to handle?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Also, has anyone here ever hosed with any kind of Mamiya Press?
I used a Mamiya Press Universal with a film and a polaroid back for a while. They weigh about 5 pounds/2kg and are a bit cumbersome, but that 100mm 2.8 is incredible.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

And, how about the handling differences between an RB67 and an RZ? Are the RZ bodies appreciably lighter or easier to handle?

I wouldn't describe an RZ as light in any context really. It's heavier than the 4x5s you mentioned. The RZ has some decent grip accessories but it's still huge for 6x7.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

what makes you want to go to 4x5?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

The Chamonix is way lighter than the Linhof.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

what makes you want to go to 4x5?

Oh, I'm not even close to actually going 4x5. I barely compose anything worth keeping on 20-25% of the roll film I shoot. Just curious.

*The rest of this post is an unfocused digression*

But, I've thought about 6x9 roll film on field cameras. Like everyone says, they can be lighter than SLRs like the RB/Z.

Also just still weighing all of the options for wide angles (horizontal angle of view greater than 65 degrees). I think a rangefinder or view camera of some sort is going to be where I end up with that. Not an SLR.

I really like the sharpness of my current RB lenses, but the options aren't great for FL's shorter than the 65.

Weight doesn't bother me, but it's conspicuous, and maybe not as benign-looking as a field camera. (Got hassled by security guards just for being SXSW-adjacent with the RB today). So even though I could migrate to RZ and pick up the good RZ 50, it would still be a pain on the street.

So why haven't I just gotten an SWC? I swear that the lenses just render with too much contrast for my taste. Older single-coated Fujinons, older Mamiya TLR and newer Mamiya RF lenses appeal more to my tastes. I think. It's weird that Mamiya RF lenses seem to have a kind of glow to them, where the colors and contrast are subdued, but their microcontrast and sharpness is very high.

I would be on a C330 Pro S right now, but 55 isn't wide enough on 6x6.

I would have a Mamiya 7, but I'm not sure I want to blow $2500 on gear sight-unseen from Japan.

Mamiya Press might be old and weird enough. I would hope that the 50 is superior to later SLR 50s.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You could buy the 38 or 40 for hasselblad 500cm

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

You could buy the 38 or 40 for hasselblad 500cm

The 38mm is the SWC lens but there is a 40mm for the 500cm.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh, I'm not even close to actually going 4x5. I barely compose anything worth keeping on 20-25% of the roll film I shoot. Just curious.

*The rest of this post is an unfocused digression*

But, I've thought about 6x9 roll film on field cameras. Like everyone says, they can be lighter than SLRs like the RB/Z.

Also just still weighing all of the options for wide angles (horizontal angle of view greater than 65 degrees). I think a rangefinder or view camera of some sort is going to be where I end up with that. Not an SLR.

I really like the sharpness of my current RB lenses, but the options aren't great for FL's shorter than the 65.

Weight doesn't bother me, but it's conspicuous, and maybe not as benign-looking as a field camera. (Got hassled by security guards just for being SXSW-adjacent with the RB today). So even though I could migrate to RZ and pick up the good RZ 50, it would still be a pain on the street.

So why haven't I just gotten an SWC? I swear that the lenses just render with too much contrast for my taste. Older single-coated Fujinons, older Mamiya TLR and newer Mamiya RF lenses appeal more to my tastes. I think. It's weird that Mamiya RF lenses seem to have a kind of glow to them, where the colors and contrast are subdued, but their microcontrast and sharpness is very high.

I would be on a C330 Pro S right now, but 55 isn't wide enough on 6x6.

I would have a Mamiya 7, but I'm not sure I want to blow $2500 on gear sight-unseen from Japan.

Mamiya Press might be old and weird enough. I would hope that the 50 is superior to later SLR 50s.

Buy my RZ (about half a pound than the RB, by the way), use your RB lenses on it, and buy a Sekor-Z 50mm ULD. :mrgw:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I like the RZ.

Edit: Wide is more important to me than format right now; I'm thinking I'll either buy a GS645W (for portability and quick, easy use), OM-2n with 24mm (same), RZ + 50mm (possible intergoon purchase here), or cap off all future photography gear purchases this year and buy a Mamiya 7 + 50mm and hope it really is the absolute loving poo poo.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 16, 2017

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

What are you shooting that you need that wide of a field of view?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Buildings, alleys, trails, rocks, caves, doorways, interiors; street-level stuff. I'm trying to document an urban creek. It runs a couple of miles through a built-up CBD, in a cut that's 15-20' below street level in some places. Also want to do some interior shots of high-rise lobbies in the same area.

I say I need a view wider than 65 degrees, but really, 90 degrees is maybe too wide. 75 to 85 degrees is the ideal range I'm looking for. Another reason I haven't just grabbed an SWC.

The RB 65 is just almost wide enough. It's pretty big, though. Ideally, I'd get something that's wider and lighter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Buildings, alleys, trails, rocks, caves, doorways, interiors; street-level stuff. I'm trying to document an urban creek. It runs a couple of miles through a built-up CBD, in a cut that's 15-20' below street level in some places. Also want to do some interior shots of high-rise lobbies in the same area.

I say I need a view wider than 65 degrees, but really, 90 degrees is maybe too wide. 75 to 85 degrees is the ideal range I'm looking for. Another reason I haven't just grabbed an SWC.

The RB 65 is just almost wide enough. It's pretty big, though. Ideally, I'd get something that's wider and lighter.

This looks a lot like the inside of a military base.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I'm literally making GBS threads my pants right now! I just picked up a Mamiya C330 and all kinds of goodies with a blue dot 80mm for 125 bucks. I've only had the Pentax for like a week and have only put 1 roll through it when the deal popped up from a friend of a friend. I couldn't pass it up. Now I can suck at two medium format cameras!

Waiting on my developer/fixer to come in so I can develop the roll I put through the Pentax (finally trying to develop my own B&W,99% positive I will gently caress it up). First impressions are, "wow this is loving heavy", and, "wow this is loving huge". I'm not a fan of the mesh? circle prism deal for focusing (I don't know what it's called), but i can get used to it. I'm kind of shocked it doesn't have the split prism type focusing my Nikon cameras have. I Also broke down and picked up a Sekonic L-308 light meter. I tried out some of the light meter apps on my phone after you guys suggested them, but my phone is an old Note 3 that sucks poo poo and it wasn't working very well. :(

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 18, 2017

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Good job bro you now have the same equipment as me so I expect to see some rad photos ASAP.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
It's hard to truly gently caress up developing black and white.

It's easy to recover from your mistakes.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

elgarbo posted:

I expect to see some radbad photos ASAP.

I do too.

Wild EEPROM posted:

It's hard to truly gently caress up developing black and white.

It's easy to recover from your mistakes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

This looks a lot like the inside of a military base.

That was basically what I was thinking when I took it. It's a runoff detention area underneath a county office parking garage, so it is government contractor architecture.

I wasn't completely happy with the lab's color on this scan.

The stairwell picture I posted before was largely the same kind of concrete on the same day, but my own color correction produced a much bluer image on that one.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Kurnell by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

That was basically what I was thinking when I took it. It's a runoff detention area underneath a county office parking garage, so it is government contractor architecture.

I wasn't completely happy with the lab's color on this scan.

The stairwell picture I posted before was largely the same kind of concrete on the same day, but my own color correction produced a much bluer image on that one.

so do your own color instead of expecting your lab to do it right

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I'm refurbishing a Yashica Mat and figured that since its going to be spread all over my desk in parts anyway I might as well flock the interior which I heard, from the internet, helps with glare and ghosting on that model when a bright light source is anywhere near the field of view. Before I try doing that though I wanted to test it out on something expendable in case I get sticky crap and black fibers all over the inside of it. Lubitels are expendable right? Let's put lipstick on this pig.

This is actually looks smooth and sexy without a flash pointed right at it.

This ended up being easier than I expected. Just cut out a big enough chunk to cover a side and trim, fit, trim, fit until it was nice and snug. Dampen the adhesive back of the material and you can move it around until the moisture dries. Then its stuck forever. The hump on the right side was a pain, but that's just about all that was troublesome. Replaced the questionable light seals while I was at it because why not? The original seals are black yarn held in by something that looks and smells like carpenter's glue. I'm betting on the Lubitel having lose enough tolerances than none of the material is actually occluding the light path, its only about half a millimeter thick. I'm going to torture a roll of T-Max to death by pointing it at the sun and headlights over the next few days to see. I used this flocking material which people apparently use in telescopes.

Did all my lens hoods while I'm at it because the minimum order for that material is enough to flock the inside of the hubble. No idea if its beneficial to hood performance or not but looks like a great way to attract lots of dust!

Anyone else done this to an old timey camera and had good results?

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 20, 2017

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I've not reflocked a camera before but I've certainly pulled out my fair share of decomposing light seal foam from old Soviet cameras. On a TLR obviously it's not an issue but a lot of SLRs need the mirror bumper replacing as well as the foam around the prism.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
Flocked my MAT before it committed suicide, did wonders for the flaring and loss of contrast when the sun was nearby, even without a lens hood.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Sutherland by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
My first roll of 120 and first time developing film turned out successful I think. I am really happy with the results for my first go around. I wish I would have took the dive years ago! All of the images except for 3 were family stuff, but my wife and I are working on some boudoir type images that I would love some feedback on. This is my first time trying to pose anyone, so I would be super appreciative of your opinions. Obviously these are NSFW.

I was also curious why there was so much grain on these. I like the way they look, but seemed super grainy. Is that just the result of the Ultrafine Extreme 400 cheap film?

NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW
[url=]pic 1[/url]

[url=]pic 2[/url]

[url=]pic 3[/url]
NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW NSFW

Edit:I changed my mind about having those public. :(

Choicecut fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 23, 2017