Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

My students would always go on about how Bruce Lee was a great Chinese person do you know him he is very faymurs, but if he was from Hong Kong doesn't that mean he's actually British?

he's also a quarter german, something like that. Not that that means jack poo poo but I wonder how they would take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My students would always go on about how Bruce Lee was a great Chinese person do you know him he is very faymurs, but if he was from Hong Kong doesn't that mean he's actually British?

He's actually American, jus soli reigns supreme.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

99% of what western people with access to the Internet "know" about Bruce Lee is untrue, so you really can't blame Mainlanders for believing that he was a pure Han superman who exhibited all the characteristics of a true Chinese patriot.

Then again, most of those "martial arts people" moved on from ole Bruce and have latched on to the fairy tale figure, "IP Man" who killed 37 Japanese Karate masters. . .

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Modest Mao posted:

he's also a quarter german, something like that. Not that that means jack poo poo but I wonder how they would take it

Portuguese.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blistex posted:

99% of what western people with access to the Internet "know" about Bruce Lee is untrue, so you really can't blame Mainlanders for believing that he was a pure Han superman who exhibited all the characteristics of a true Chinese patriot.

Then again, most of those "martial arts people" moved on from ole Bruce and have latched on to the fairy tale figure, "IP Man" who killed 37 Japanese Karate masters. . .

People actually think ip man actually happened as if the japanese wouldnt simply execute him the moment he embarrassed them.
its hard to take chinese historical movies seriously at all when poo poo like this is so popular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsoclIAN7Dg
I cant find it but a japanese devil gets ripped in half vertically like mortal kombat in this show

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 19, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fauxtool posted:

People actually think ip man actually happened as if the japanese wouldnt simply execute him the moment he embarrassed them.
its hard to take chinese historical movies seriously at all when poo poo like this is so popular

The Korean do kill all Japanese/North Koreans are so much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2kt4ilUTEU

I had watched this on the plane drat it was ridiculously entertaining. It's so bad it's good.

It has Mac Arthur play Liam Nesson.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

That's actually me fighting my way through the morning rush at the train station.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I have learned that the way Chinese use the English word "sick" is very different than how other people use it.

Non-Chinese usage of "sick":
Puking
Diarrhea
Anticipation of puking or diarrhea
Actual illness
AIDS
Viral or bacterial infection
Influenza
Actual fever
Allergic reaction
Cancer
-
Disgust at something
Pretending so you don't have to go work
Totally rad tricks on your mountain bike

Chinese usage of "sick":
Tired
Anemia
Temporary runny nose from being outside in cold weather
Cough from polluted air corroding lungs
Smoking all day
Too much air conditioning today
Qi imbalance
Bad weather outside
Headache
Menstrual cramps
Lethargy
"The pharmacist with the 2-month internet certificate told me I was sick to sell me useless pills"
Ghosts
Bad smells
Walked by an African
A foreigner sneezed within 100m of me (never mind the Chinese sneezing in my open mouth on the bus)
The Japanese

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just been in the bank. There were a pair of women in the queue in front of me depositing bricks of rmb (I'm in HK, we don't use rmb). I'd say each brick was at least 10,000rmb abd there were at least 12 bricks. One was asking the other (in English, for some reason) what a company director is. The other was explaining. The rmb was in 3 small plastic carrier bags like you get from a book shop. Since your bags get x-rayed at the border, even if you are walking across, I'm guessing they taped the bags to themselves to get them across.

There is a deposit threshold above which the bank has to report a large deposit, but of course rmb mules always deposit just below that.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If anyone who reads this thread works in a bank, I'd love to know how you'd react to two older-middle-age ladies who don't speak the main local language depositing five-figure amounts in foreign currency from plastic bags, and not at the business/premier account counter, just in a standard current account.

E: dressed like typical aunties, not businesspeople, and around lunchtime, not right at opening or close of business

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Anime China.jpg

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

simplefish posted:

If anyone who reads this thread works in a bank, I'd love to know how you'd react to two older-middle-age ladies who don't speak the main local language depositing five-figure amounts in foreign currency from plastic bags, and not at the business/premier account counter, just in a standard current account.

But they spoke English :britain:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

http://shanghaiist.com/2017/03/20/toilet_paper_theft_cameras.php

quote:

In an attempt to wipe out crime, the public bathrooms at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing have been equipped with sophisticated face recognition technology that will properly allocate a reasonable number of toilet paper squares to each visitor.

Earlier this month, a Beijing Evening News undercover investigation discovered that locals were frequenting the four-star toilets inside the Temple of Heaven park in order to snatch up as much toilet paper as they could possibly carry. Causing each restroom to use up over 30 rolls of toilet paper each day.

stealing_toilet_paper5.jpg

stealing_toilet_paper4.jpg

Tired of dealing with locals' poo poo, face recognition systems have been installed at three restrooms inside the park. In order to get toilet paper, visitors must remove their glasses and hat, and have their faces scanned by a high definition camera. Afterward, they are issued a 60-cm long piece of toilet paper by the wall-mounted machine. The whole thing takes just three seconds.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

when China rules the world

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how accurate is the hit video game "sleeping dogs"

if its pretty close im gonna go to hong kong

haier if you like gta 5 you should play sleeping dogs its good

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man!

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Its a very accurate depiction of life as a red pole in the Sun On Yee.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

the North Point area was pretty spot on I thought, the rest wasn't really crowded enough so it felt more like a European city

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I played Shadowrun: Hong Kong before I went to Hong Kong. Real Hong Kong wasn't a lot like in the game.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why not just hire a guard to distribute it

that also seems like an insufficient amount of tp

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Relin posted:

why not just hire a guard to distribute it

that also seems like an insufficient amount of tp

According to a different article I read they still put regular rolls in the stalls too, because some people are uncomfortable with the scanner. So basically this ensures that there is still some TP left even if the thieving granny squad has just rolled through.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It definitely felt like Hong Kong. The areas around the map did mimic the areas they are based off quite well. Not enough people in a lot of places. No MTR. Minibus drivers can almost be as aggressive as you driving one(LOL at parking properly to pick someone up).

Everyone knows Kung Fu for some reason. Part of the ending is an accurate depiction of an open meat market.

If you go be prepared to be walking alot and bring Google maps.

DookieSandwich posted:

Its a very accurate depiction of life as a red pole in the Sun On Yee.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Grevling posted:

I played Shadowrun: Hong Kong before I went to Hong Kong. Real Hong Kong wasn't a lot like in the game.

But as a counterpoint, the Filipina Nanny Mafia deserves its own game.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Paladin posted:

But as a counterpoint, the Filipina Nanny Mafia deserves its own game.

That reminds me, the first time you experience a Sunday in Hong Kong it's kinda freaky.

Suddenly the streets are lined with thousands of Southeast Asian women sitting on flattened boxes.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I couldn't get over my ex-gf's family's "domestic helper". At least her dad didn't mince words and called her his maid. No one has a maid where I come from, so I felt weird about it. Her sister and her American husband also brought theirs along to help take care of their kid.

Many of them definitely get exploited by their employers too.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Stink Billyums posted:

That reminds me, the first time you experience a Sunday in Hong Kong it's kinda freaky.

Suddenly the streets are lined with thousands of Southeast Asian women sitting on flattened boxes.

Uh, why? They have a day off but no money or anywhere to go?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\

Outrail posted:

Uh, why? They have a day off but no money or anywhere to go?

Yeah pretty much.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

oohhboy posted:

Everyone knows Kung Fu for some reason. Part of the ending is an accurate depiction of an open meat market.

What, that thing with the ice chipper?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
hey Haier i need your indian food appraisal skills

several of the offices in the area where i work have a bunch of Indian employees, and therefore a market appeared for tiffins

would you say 25rmb is a fair price in Shanghai for a veg meal

LentThem fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 21, 2017

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
I finished the chapter on children during the Great Leap Forward. I knew it was going to be bad, but like every chapter in the book, I didn't know it was going to be this bad. As I have two young children myself, imagining the horrors described in the book happening to my progeny turned my stomach, and after each page I wanted to stop reading and skip the whole chapter. I forced myself through it. Be warned, if you have kids you may not want to read the next few paragraphs.

Women were pushed out of their traditional caregiver role into industry, and children were often literally left to fend for themselves. There were state-run kindergartens, but it's better if you imagine them as "buildings we shoved a bunch of toddlers into after ripping them out of the arms of their mothers and then locked the door". If there was even a door. Or a roof. Children were burned when hot kettles fell on them. They walked around in poo poo for the day because there was nobody to change their diapers, or their attendant didn't give a gently caress. Attendants regularly beat and tortured children in their care to maintain order. The crowded and filthy conditions also meant extremely high rates of disease among children.

Now let's talk food. Remember, thanks to Mao, there is literally no food in China. Hell, in some cities half the newborn babies died because their mothers had no extra calories to produce milk. In previous posts I mentioned how farmers would literally eat their straw roofs because it was organic material, so this isn't hyperbole; grain is actually being exported to show off how awesome and advanced China is. Unless you're a Party member or a cadre, there's a food ration for you if you're lucky and nothing if you're not.

The children were not.

Food meant for these "kindergartens" was eaten by the people in charge. While the children cried at the pain in their empty bellies, the school directors shoved the kids' rations into sacks and carried it home to share with friends. Older children were put to work. One boy scavenged some roots to eat during his shift, so he received bamboo-fingernail torture. An 8-year-old stole a handful of rice, so the local Party official beat him to death. A 12-year old stole from the collective canteen, so the adults in the village held his head underwater until he drowned. And the worst, the worst loving thing, is sometimes they made the parents do it. In one Hunan village, a boy stole a handful of grain. The Party boss ordered his father to bury him alive. Imagine digging a hole for your terrified son, forcing him into it, and shovelling the dirt back up. You have to push him down as he tries to escape. He begs you, he cries for help, his absolute trust in you, his father, who has cared for him all his life, being shattered. He screams, pleads for you to stop as you shovel more dirt into the mouth of your own son while the Party officials laugh and joke around you.

Once again, I wish this was exaggeration. It is not. The father died of grief a few days later.

If the family was lucky enough to get food (which they often sent the children to queue up for in those long lines), children fought each other for scraps of ration. Boys always got more, of course, while desperate girls withered away. Some parents killed their own children rather than see them slowly starve to death. Others just withheld rations for their young children. Some parents took their kids for "walks in the mountains" to look for food, then abandoned the children in the forest. Sometimes children were left with a sibling, but often the older sibling would turn on the younger, beating them to death to take their clothes or shoes. Some parents left the village to illegally seek work in the cities, so of loving course the remaining villagers would lock up the kids in a room and let them starve to death.

About to start the next chapter on Women. Surely they'll hold up half the sky, right, and not suffer from any kind of abuse as patriarchy is swept away by the tide of revolution!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You warned it was bad and it's worse than I imagined.

Mao definitely earned his place next to Hitler in hell.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I've started reading it as well after reading excerpts by Imperialist Dog and holy poo poo.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
what book is this

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8410925-mao-s-great-famine

Many reviewers describe it as "very difficult" to read through and they're not talking about the complexity of the prose.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's easy to follow, albeit horrifying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Imperialist Dog posted:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8410925-mao-s-great-famine

Many reviewers describe it as "very difficult" to read through and they're not talking about the complexity of the prose.

and tankies on SA think mao was good lol

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jose posted:

and tankies on SA think mao was good lol

communists in tyool 2017 have brain problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

maoism is 70% good, 30% mao