Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

We have no legs to stand on criticizing AT-AT troop transports when we have Ospreys.

Imagine being the largest defence contractor for the galactic empire. Osprey mark 40000, carrying thousands of stormtroopers to their deaths at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

MariusLecter posted:

We have no legs to stand on criticizing AT-AT troop transports when we have Ospreys.

Or F-35's not being able to be fuelled because it's too hot. And then conducting your war in the desert.

Or fly them off carriers without melting the deck in the process.

Or buying 2 brand new carriers and having no planes to use on them.

Or going to war with a shovel that has a hole in it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drunken Baker posted:

From what I remember most heavy armour dudes didn't even kill each other. They'd just beat the other guy senseless and some little gremlin guy would run in with a scythe that could hook under the armoured plates and slit the exhausted dude's throat.

Knights were valuable prisoners too. You usually had to be fairly wealthy to be a knight, so you could be good for a ransom if you were taken alive.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Full plate armour isn't really that heavy and the guys wearing it would have almost always been professional career soldiers whose lives were pretty much training to beat people up. A clumsy 30 second brawl ending with both fighters passing out and being knifed by peasants wouldn't have been common.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know how there's the whole "Errol Flynn fencing" thing in classic Hollywood movies where most of the fight was the guys aiming at each other's swords rather than at each other and Basil Rathbone had to make him look good?

Well, in a more recent movie, which I think (disclaimer: no background in fencing whatsoever) has an otherwise really well-choreographed swordfight - I'm thinking about Rob Roy - there's one split-second bit in the middle of the fight where Tim Roth obligingly raises his sword up for Liam Neeson to hit it. It sort of annoys me when the rest of the duel is good because ever since it was pointed out to me I can't help but notice it.

(It's at about 5.10 in this video.)

Young Tim Roth could have played a great Balthier from FFXII.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

sassassin posted:

Full plate armour isn't really that heavy and the guys wearing it would have almost always been professional career soldiers whose lives were pretty much training to beat people up. A clumsy 30 second brawl ending with both fighters passing out and being knifed by peasants wouldn't have been common.

That doesn't change the fact that getting knocked down during a fight is pretty bad news though. Plate has a pretty variable weight depending on the exact style but a typical suit weighs like 70 pounds or so I think, so if you go down and end up with another heavy dude who also has that 70 pound armour adding extra weight and also he's trying to jam a knife into your eye things are bad for you.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

This super depends on era. Maille hauberks were pretty heavy but by the time of Renaissance plate armor the weight for a full suit was more 30-40 lbs, distributed intelligently across the body to minimize impact on movement. Look at this video; in that type of armor it's pretty easy to climb ladders, tumble, get up from the ground, etc. You can do cartwheels in gothic full plate without too much difficulty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q

e: not to say that being knocked to the ground in combat wouldn't be a bad situation no matter what you're wearing

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 14:58 on Mar 21, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Wasn't there a lot of testicle kicking involved in real life swordfights? Who wouldn't want to see a Braveheart-like epic where an army of guys are kicking another army of guys in the balls to set up a killing blow?

Brienne vs. The Hound in GoT was basically this, except after the crotch kicking one of them manages to bash the other with a rock and they fall down a hill. As far as TV fights go it seemed pretty realistic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

synthetik posted:

Young Tim Roth could have played a great Balthier from FFXII.

Haha, never noticed that before. :D

Somehow, though, I think there's bits in that movie where John Hurt actually manages to come off as even slimier than Roth.

jabby posted:

Brienne vs. The Hound in GoT was basically this, except after the crotch kicking one of them manages to bash the other with a rock and they fall down a hill. As far as TV fights go it seemed pretty realistic.

Rory McCann told Gwendoline Christie to hit him in the balls for real when they filmed the fight to make it look better.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

HookedOnChthonics posted:

This super depends on era. Maille hauberks were pretty heavy but by the time of Renaissance plate armor the weight for a full suit was more 30-40 lbs, distributed intelligently across the body to minimize impact on movement. Look at this video; in that type of armor it's pretty easy to climb ladders, tumble, get up from the ground, etc. You can do cartwheels in gothic full plate without too much difficulty.

e: not to say that being knocked to the ground in combat wouldn't be a bad situation no matter what you're wearing

I liked move no.4, where the guy grabs his opponent by the dick to take him down. Also, I now really wanna see an MMA division with armoured fighters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm partial to the MORDHAU which is where you say gently caress this, turn your greatsword around, and hit the other guy in the head with the hilt like it was a mace. It means "Murder blow".

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Lot of medieval combat nerds in this thread.

Everything I know I learned from playing Knight Games on my C-64.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

New Dark Souls lookin' good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

jabby posted:

As far as TV fights go it seemed pretty realistic.

I imagine everyone knows about the fight in Deadwood where it's two fat fellas just punching each other in the dick until one of them gouges out the other dudes eye.

Thanks for setting me straight on the goblin man and the scythe thing though. Swear down, the picture I saw in my history book (about 20 years ago, so take this with a grain of salt) showed some hunchback reaping dudes necks like it was no big deal. It was pretty metal.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm partial to the MORDHAU which is where you say gently caress this, turn your greatsword around, and hit the other guy in the head with the hilt like it was a mace. It means "Murder blow".

Yeah I was thinking of that one. I'm imagining it being developed like this:
:v: No, Barnard, the pointy end faces the other way!
:downs: *Brutally bludgeon s opponent to death with pommel*
:v: Uh, OK, guess that works too!

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Also, I now really wanna see an MMA division with armoured fighters

This is 100% a thing by the way.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Magnus Manfist posted:

:eyepop:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Magnus Manfist posted:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Phanatic posted:

:jebstare:

I assume some fan didn't just make that up and it's actually in one of the books somewhere.

There are giant technical books you can find for every piece of technology in Star Wars.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=star+wars+technical

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:black101:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Schubalts posted:

There are giant technical books you can find for every piece of technology in Star Wars.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=star+wars+technical

some of them were written just to win internet arguments

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Taeke posted:

Reminds me. gently caress movies and tv shows where they get the language wrong, and I'm not talking about the accent or whatever, but the actual language. It's frankly insulting.

I'm Dutch and it happens way too often that I see something set in Amsterdam or whatever and the people speak German or Danish or whatever. Most recent example I saw was the spy thriller/dark comedy series Patriot, where the protagonist is supposed to be in Amsterdam (filmed somewhere else, I think Luxembourg, but I'll allow it) and he's told off by a cop. It wasn't anywhere near Dutch, didn't even sound like it. At least they got it right in a later episode.

Sense8 thankfully did it right. Haven't seen Trainspotting 2 yet, hopefully it won't disappoint.

Patriot was mostly taking place in Luxembourg and those parts were filmed in Luxembourg. :confused:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Schubalts posted:

https://youtu.be/FVzc20Bm8Xo

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Mar 21, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Rory McCann told Gwendoline Christie to hit him in the balls for real when they filmed the fight to make it look better.

I'd've done the same tbqh

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-47_airspeeder

:jebstare:

I assume some fan didn't just make that up and it's actually in one of the books somewhere.

I'm glad Grover's still finding work.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They're gonna gouge and scratch the gently caress out of that floor in that gear.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

My IIMM gripe is seeing really wussy slaps and stomach punches. The actor knows it's coming and they are getting paid - just take a gut punch or a slap for real. The other person doesn't have to really wind up with it, but at least make contact.

\/ That would be fine if it worked. It often looks poo poo.

Gromit has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Mar 22, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could also just do acting instead

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Just take a gut punch no big deal. No that wasn't quite right let's do it again. The camera guy hosed up - again! That extra is in the wrong place - again! *2 hours later* Stop crying - again!!!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

All that armor and the fight still ends because they break each others exposed fingers at the same time.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Patriot was mostly taking place in Luxembourg and those parts were filmed in Luxembourg. :confused:

Before he takes on the assignment to go to Luxembourg, he's wasting away getting high, becomes bffs with that singer, sings overly accurate songs and rides mechanical bulls. That all happens, supposedly, in Amsterdam, but they filmed those scenes in Luxembourg. I don't particularly mind that, budget constraints and all that, but at least have the cop speak Dutch to him.

He doesn't go to Luxembourg until after his brother picks him up, he spends a couple days home with his wife and his dad, and then goes to apply for the piping job.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also remember that "Just taking a gut punch" killed Houdini due to bad timing. Noone wants Actors to do something that stupid and end up dying in the middle of a shoot because their costar was a split second too fast on his cue and hit the other guy when he wasn't ready.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's frequently spit buckets on set for actors to use between takes of scenes where they're eating, and eating's a hell of a lot more tolerable than getting punched

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

flatluigi posted:

There's frequently spit buckets on set for actors to use between takes of scenes where they're eating, and eating's a hell of a lot more tolerable than getting punched

Speaking of, I hate it when people drink out of cups that are obviously empty. It never looks convincing. Just spit that poo poo into a bucket between takes, it creates jobs too because someone has to empty those buckets. I bet that's what Best Boys do.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
In the new Beauty and the Beast there's a whole scene where the CGI teapot pours tea into her son, a CGI teacup, for Belle to drink. Emma Watson does some of the worst empty-cup acting I've ever seen, even though it's the only thing in frame.

Other than that, the movie was fine

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

BioEnchanted posted:

Also remember that "Just taking a gut punch" killed Houdini due to bad timing. Noone wants Actors to do something that stupid and end up dying in the middle of a shoot because their costar was a split second too fast on his cue and hit the other guy when he wasn't ready.

Yes, because actors prepared for a light punch is so dangerous. Are you frightened of dying when you play fight with your friends? Did that guy in GoT mentioned earlier expect to explode when he took a nut shot?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gromit posted:

Yes, because actors prepared for a light punch is so dangerous. Are you frightened of dying when you play fight with your friends? Did that guy in GoT mentioned earlier expect to explode when he took a nut shot?

So what are asking for, light punches that will never hurt, even accidentally, or real ones?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gromit posted:

I would never voluntarily take a nut shot, because gently caress testicular torsion to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Beauty and the Beast IMM:

Harpsichord guy is missing teeth when he becomes human (as a harpsichord he spat keys at villagers). But in the very next scene his teeth are perfectly fine.

They make the Enchantress this deus ex machina in the story by having her stick around to do stuff like save Maurice. I mean I dunno, maybe if the beast was such rear end in a top hat he'd let Maurice get left to his fate like that maybe he wasn't ready to have the curse lifted?