Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It was interesting when they mentioned how Katia, despite having the mind of his/her previous male self, no longer feels attraction to women due to having a female body.

She also claims she would rather die than marry a man, though. So I guess she's asexual now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'd be curious to see how human fighters/mages would fare against Kumoko at various stages in her development, because I have a feeling that by the time she ever encounters more humans she'll be virtually unbeatable.

Yeah, for that we'd have to go on stat-blocks alone, and that's a pretty bad judge when humans can be extremely versatile in spell-casting ability.

Silver2195 posted:

She also claims she would rather die than marry a man, though. So I guess she's asexual now?

It's a very minor point, and I may have misinterpreted the translation, but a later chapter claims back on Earth he was always hitting on a certain girl in a really flashy and obnoxious way because he was maybe-gay and didn't want to face it / didn't want anyone to find out. And this may be why he ended up a girl in the new world.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I get the impression from her interactions with Shun at the academy (for example her weird reaction to the Saint girl tightly grasping his hands) that she feels attraction towards Shun. While her previous male self being gay is a more likely explanation, I find the idea of a straight man being transported into a straight woman's body and correspondingly being attracted to men kind of interesting as a concept.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, usually when gender swaps are in isekai stories it is very obviously going for titillating otaku-bait but kumoko has been very restrained about the subject.

also lol at sue's appearance. i didn't realize that her yandere was right on the surface.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So it seems like Kumoko is kinda a sociopath, but what's interesting is that she mentions that she also doesn't seem to have had an aversion to murder even when she was a human in Japan. I could understand if her becoming a monster and getting some of those evil-sounding skills made her have no conscience, but it's kind of surprising if she was always a sociopath.

edit: Does it ever explain what Kumoko realized when her Taboo reached level 10 and she flipped out (don't tell me what the reason is, I'm just curious if it's revealed or not)?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 21, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are two related reasons for that, but both are pretty big spoilers.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read Chapter K2 and I get the impression Katia/Kanata wasn't gay in his previous life, because he mentions not caring about women's bodies being a change he experienced (and if he were gay he would have also not cared about them in his previous life, so it wouldn't be anything new).

Normally I don't like gender bender elements in stories, but for some reason this one doesn't bother me much. I think it's because it's usually meant to be something titillating, but I don't get that feeling from this.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Volume 4 of the novel includes a timeline

notable events:

Year 840: Kumoko is born
841: Shun and the other human classmates are born.

Ronant encounters Kumoko in the Labyrinth.
Kumoko leaves the Labyrinth.

842: Kumoko appears in Sariela.
Sariela is wiped out in the war.

843: Fragments of the nightmare appear

845: "Sword Demon" appears, is driven away by Ronant

847: Appraisal ceremony for Shun&Co

848: Fey (Novel exclusive character) is born

851: Shun&Co start going to the School

856: Human-Demon war

Also, since scans for volume 5 are out now

Cover
Poor Mera looks a lot more like a Demon Lord than the actual Demon Lord

:3:
Fei (novel exclusive Dragon character, in human form)
Hugo vs Oka-sensei at the battle for the Elf Village
Sophia
Ariel
Arachne
Mera gets turned into a vampire
Potimas attacks Arachne-Kumoko
The battle didn't quite go as Potimas expected
Gloria
Cyborg-Potimas

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isn't a complete mystery since characters sometimes act on that knowledge, but the story has always been deliberately vague about exactly what taboo 10 teaches people.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tamba posted:

Potimas attacks Arachne-Kumoko

i like that one. the human torso looks kinda blank and the gross spider face is way more expressive.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Ms. Oka just explained the nature of the world to Shun/Katia and I'm still not sure how that would justify wanting to murder all humans and demons. I assume there's some sort of good reason, though.

edit: Ah Jesus it's 3:00am, this story is pretty addictive

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Tamba posted:

Also, since scans for volume 5 are out now
The battle didn't quite go as Potimas expected
Cyborg-Potimas

Please tell me that's a GBE on his arm and there's going to be a BLAME! crossover at some point.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Er, this feels incredibly sudden, but that smartphone thing is getting an anime in July: http://isesuma-anime.jp/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I tried reading that and it was not particularly good! The whole premise is supposed to be that he uses a smart phone to accomplish things in a fantasy world, but he also randomly has above average physical abilities and ~super rare~ magic talents (because of course). I mean, at least stick to the premise of making the smart phone his only ability!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

at least stick to the premise

You're asking too much of our poor authors.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how his smart phone had a map of the fantasy world. I mean I guess God, being God, is capable of digitizing all that information and putting it into Google Maps or whatever, but it still felt kinda silly.

It also bugged me how he didn't look up "modern clothes-making technology/methods" in Google and work with the fashion dude to become rich and successful. Would have been a more interesting story than killing monsters with a harem of girls or whatever.

edit: "I Became a Fashion Designer in Another World" is my proposed WN concept if any aspiring authors are reading this thread!

edit2: You know, when you think about it there are a bunch of jobs that would be vastly more useful in a medieval setting than being a programmer or whatever, but these stories need to be tailored to their audience I guess.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 21, 2017

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
In Release That Witch, the protagonist discovers a girl with magical fire generating powers. He immediately teaches her smelting and welding and they start producing steam engines and guns. Now he's got her making machining tools so he can have the peasants mass produce steam engines and guns.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: You know, when you think about it there are a bunch of jobs that would be vastly more useful in a medieval setting than being a programmer or whatever, but these stories need to be tailored to their audience I guess.

Maybe Ascendance of a Bookworm? I haven't read all of it, but Blastron, the same guy translating Kumoko, is translating that. It's about a girl who was obsessed with books, to the point where she died when an earthquake happened and all her books fell off the shelves and crushed her. She woke up in a medieval world, the daughter of peasants, and now her big quest is to find a way to make books, since they're currently exceedingly rare and really only owned by Nobles. At the point Blastron is at, she's still figuring out how to cheaply and reliably produce paper, but I imagine by the end of the story she'll have worked her way up to a Gutenberg press or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bobulus posted:

Maybe Ascendance of a Bookworm? I haven't read all of it, but Blastron, the same guy translating Kumoko, is translating that. It's about a girl who was obsessed with books, to the point where she died when an earthquake happened and all her books fell off the shelves and crushed her. She woke up in a medieval world, the daughter of peasants, and now her big quest is to find a way to make books, since they're currently exceedingly rare and really only owned by Nobles. At the point Blastron is at, she's still figuring out how to cheaply and reliably produce paper, but I imagine by the end of the story she'll have worked her way up to a Gutenberg press or something.

Ascendance of a Bookworm is wonderful, but the protagonist in it doesn't really bring any particular skill with her other than perhaps "having a good memory and having read a bunch of books."

I'm mostly referring to isekai stories where the character has some sort of special skill/item that gives them a huge advantage in the new world. Like there was one where someone could cast spells by writing kanji and another where spells were casting by read manga (I'm pretty sure this was actually a thing).

Ascendance of a Bookworm is good largely because the protagonist doesn't suddenly become super rich and powerful or have any unusual abilities.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm is good largely because the protagonist doesn't suddenly become super rich and powerful or have any unusual abilities.

I've only read the first part, but she's already made more money than her father is going to earn in his whole life, and she does in fact have unusual abilities

Tamba fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 22, 2017

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Apparently Hakomari is getting an English release. I'm buying the heck out of it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Even though the protagonist in Kumoko is an interesting character, I really don't like her as a person and kinda root for whoever ends up going against her in the future. I think it's mostly that I just don't really like antisocial protagonists and her internal monologues/dialogues ends up coming off more unhinged than funny/goofy. The Ascendance of a Bookworm protagonist is also kinda antisocial, but she seems to be developing into a more well-rounded, social person over time. Kumoko almost feels like a villain origin story or something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The reveals about Kumoko after she completely breaks the game are some of the stupidest parts of spiderquest.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Did a fan or official translation ever come out for that light novel about the guy trapped in an mmo with his mom?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Did a fan or official translation ever come out for that light novel about the guy trapped in an mmo with his mom?

I think only about 5 chapters have been done of that.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Wow that's really a thing? What. I don't even :psyduck:

why

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is his mom way more capable than him?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was a bit of a debate in some thread here about how it seemed potentially skeevy but only like 2 chapters had been translated. it is also a breakout hit for some reason? i haven't read it, though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

edit: "I Became a Fashion Designer in Another World" is my proposed WN concept if any aspiring authors are reading this thread!

Please hear my proposal for light novel, it is called "Skelebones Has No Libido, RIP Harem!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Please hear my proposal for light novel, it is called "Skelebones Has No Libido, RIP Harem!"

overlord already exists, though

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

If by "more capable" you mean her normal attacks hit all enemies two times for full damage.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/tsuujou-kougeki-ga-zentai-kougeki-de-ni-kai-kougeki-no-okaa-san-wa-suki-desu-ka/

Or are we talking about a different LN series where a mother and son reincarnate?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that title seems like a pun that doesn't translate well

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It flows off the tongue a bit better, but there's not really any pun, I'm pretty sure.

Kind of on that note, the web novel abyss goes so much deeper if you're reading raws. When you complain about all the terrible web novels out there, remember that for the most part it's only the top 5% cream of the crop that stuff that even sees a translator touch it.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, blew through Kumoko over the past few nights and...it feels like the author skipped an arc. I was expecting the Arachne arc to last longer. Finally, she can communicate verbally (and poorly too) and then she becomes a god.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

She's still terrible at communication.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Synthbuttrange posted:

She's still terrible at communication.

And that would've totally led to more trouble for her, as things tend to.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So right now I'm at the part in Kumoko where she just got pseudo-killed by the Origin Taratect, respawned, and the mage dude visited her.

Do the plot threads with the other classmates ever go anywhere? In a way I find them more interesting because it's sort of a foregone conclusion that Kumoko will defeat any enemies she goes up against. Even though the Origin Taratect is stronger right now, she just needs to take it over (which is already in the works). It also seems like more plot happens in the chapters covering other characters, and I'm reading this more for the overarching plot than "Kumoko becomes stronger" shenanigans.

I think probably the biggest indicator that Kumoko is kinda crazy and can't interact normally with regular humans/humanoids is the fact that she has no problem with eating people.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 24, 2017

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Do the plot threads with the other classmates ever go anywhere? In a way I find them more interesting because it's sort of a foregone conclusion that Kumoko will defeat any enemies she goes up against.

Without spoilers: It does go somewhere, and Kumoko's role in the story will change pretty shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

So right now I'm at the part in Kumoko where she just got pseudo-killed by the Origin Taratect, respawned, and the mage dude visited her.

Do the plot threads with the other classmates ever go anywhere? In a way I find them more interesting because it's sort of a foregone conclusion that Kumoko will defeat any enemies she goes up against. Even though the Origin Taratect is stronger right now, she just needs to take it over (which is already in the works). It also seems like more plot happens in the chapters covering other characters, and I'm reading this more for the overarching plot than "Kumoko becomes stronger" shenanigans.

I think probably the biggest indicator that Kumoko is kinda crazy and can't interact normally with regular humans/humanoids is the fact that she has no problem with eating people.

there was a lot of speculation here about what was gonna happen when turb0's translations reached that point, mostly based on those demon war council chapters. mine was very wrong, and i don't think anyone else was correct either.

thankfully, no one did that fake speculation based on reading ahead bullshit.