Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

spectralent posted:

That looks really cool!

...What is it? :downs:

That's a province map, 5392 unique RGB values arranged in a way as to allow EU4 to render it as a world. They're a pain in the rear end, even with the script I wrote to handle most of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

StealthArcher posted:

That's a province map, 5392 unique RGB values arranged in a way as to allow EU4 to render it as a world. They're a pain in the rear end, even with the script I wrote to handle most of the work.

Oh, I know of that (I've been trying to mod HOI in a similar way and it's such a PITA :negative:) I just don't know what map it is.

Is your script just a colour-picker that picks an RGB you haven't used before?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

spectralent posted:

Oh, I know of that (I've been trying to mod HOI in a similar way and it's such a PITA :negative:) I just don't know what map it is.

Is your script just a colour-picker that picks an RGB you haven't used before?

Oh :downs:. Well, it's not Earth, that's for sure, it's a world of the writer's design. As for the script, no, after I looked at the values for EU4's vanilla map it seems that me and whomever at PDox makes these came up with the same solution, a large number of cycling colors that increment the R or B value by one every time they come up again, with them organized by the Green value which is never changed. Hence none of the colors can ever be the same and you can have an easy increment loop to generate colors. Paradox definitely did a much larger number of cycles than my 32 though, and it probably would've saved me time checking for loose pixels :negative:. But in the end, she's a finished huge rear end map, and I intend to fix the script up to be a lot more useful and then release it for use. Couldn't hurt.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Got a game of Aztecs going which managed to pass all religious reforms by around 1520, before Spain was spotted colonising on the Mexican coast. I started conquering in that direction to westernize, we sort of met in the middle and I got the jump into westernization. Not enough to launch me into Great Power status but enough for big fish, little pond in Central America. Obviously picked up Defensive for my first idea because I forsaw a lot of knock down, drawn out fights with the colonisers and the early point in Religious because I wanted to maintain Nahautl instead of jumping ship for Catholicism. It sort of helped that Portugal jumped Kiche and force-converted them.

Anyway conquered the swathe of Mexican native countries while their military was tech levels below. At this point I noticed I was getting boxed in: New Spain reached the other coast and Brittany was being rather active below Panama. Took a look at the diplo treaties and it turns out Spain had a PU with Portugal who had active military presence in their colony nations (New Spain..never had cash to buy units ever I think and Spanish Louisiana had a token force for the longest time) including the entirety of the Caribbean. And guess who's best buddies with Brittany? :suicide:

Cue first war for some dumb coastal region by Spain and getting eventually swarmed under by a few 20-30k stacks with my puny 22k force limit. Surrendered quickly for nominal losses and my army pretty much intact. To get more money I conquered the rest of the natives I had left because of problems with keeping up on religious unity and coring. And I started casting around for allies against this stupid colonizer bloc. France and England were rivals but they weren't interested in some aztecs from across the sea and barely had any presence nearby. USA formed off of Scottish Florida and some bits north and I courted them but then I also tried for Cherokee which managed to reform and hold their own. Cherokee was in a defensive war against USA so they turned around and called me in but didn't need my help at all (not that I could provide any, money was tight and had no fleet).

I was biding my time to bash Brittany because their armies weren't as big as Spain's, who at this point integrated Portugal and was swole as gently caress. Except Spain never really fought any big wars I could take advantage of in that time that Brittany was distracted by the South American natives. And so the second war starts for Honduras..and Cherokee just got their teeth kicked in by the Caraibas colony and peaced out early. Feels like I'm screwed but we'll see if I can keep the big armies split and inch my way to white peace. Thankfully I have equal military tech (at the cost of unbalanced research augh) but having a long coast, both sides enemy territory and not enough forts to hold them off is going to make it really difficult.

Was fun up until this moment. Now it's interesting but I'm growing more inclined to restart with the knowledge I've got now.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Oh :downs:. Well, it's not Earth, that's for sure, it's a world of the writer's design.

It looks suspiciously like the Warcraft world, or what I remember of it.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Technowolf posted:

It looks suspiciously like the Warcraft world, or what I remember of it.

The writer is a fan of WC, but seeing as he gave me an outline and left the details to me, a person who played WCII and nothing else, it's probably by accident.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

StealthArcher posted:

Oh :downs:. Well, it's not Earth, that's for sure, it's a world of the writer's design. As for the script, no, after I looked at the values for EU4's vanilla map it seems that me and whomever at PDox makes these came up with the same solution, a large number of cycling colors that increment the R or B value by one every time they come up again, with them organized by the Green value which is never changed. Hence none of the colors can ever be the same and you can have an easy increment loop to generate colors. Paradox definitely did a much larger number of cycles than my 32 though, and it probably would've saved me time checking for loose pixels :negative:. But in the end, she's a finished huge rear end map, and I intend to fix the script up to be a lot more useful and then release it for use. Couldn't hurt.

Yeah, if you did release it it'd sure be useful. I think the gist of HOI4 map mods is the same, so it'd save me a ton of time compared to my current method of "keep a list of what RGBs you used".

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
If I'm not retarded (there is always the possibility), and if I can afford 8 colonies at a time maximum AND have a settler rate of 200 settlers/month, then in 30 years I should be able to only colonize around 50-60 provinces... right? I'm not counting the bonus% colonists give to growth.

I have to settle 100 provinces. I ragequit when doing this math a few days ago because it means I hosed up a First Come, First Serve run bad.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Node posted:

If I'm not retarded (there is always the possibility), and if I can afford 8 colonies at a time maximum AND have a settler rate of 200 settlers/month, then in 30 years I should be able to only colonize around 50-60 provinces... right? I'm not counting the bonus% colonists give to growth.

I have to settle 100 provinces. I ragequit when doing this math a few days ago because it means I hosed up a First Come, First Serve run bad.

You get a fifth of a colony per month per colonist, you have 12 months in a year, 30 years total, 8 colonists

.2 * 12 * 30 * 8 = 576 provinces

e: long story short, sorry about your retardation

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Probably means 200 per year

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

And don't forget about the time required to send the colonists.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Do you actually need to have them completely colonized? Might be worth considering racking up loans to have a bunch of only-started colonies in order to finish it off.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You can also factor in the bonus settlers chance, it's +3 settlers per year on average for every +1%.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Settler rate is always given as per year in game.

Travel time for a colonist is, iirc, from your capital. So move it near where your empties are, the settler rate only relies on a colony existing, so shuffle them and loan it the gently caress up.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Probably means 200 per year

That makes a lot more sense

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Arrhythmia posted:

That makes a lot more sense

Uhhh, yeah. Year. It's still okay to call me retarded though. Your number 576 divided by 12 gives me 48, which means gently caress You, Buddy! You failed!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

As mentioned earlier, you don't need them to be full colonies for the achievement.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jay Rust posted:

As mentioned earlier, you don't need them to be full colonies for the achievement.

True. Would I be able to stay afloat if I colonized every single province at once? The price increases quadratically after 4, and I wonder if I can survive before bankruptcy. I'm not optimistic.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 21, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
The other kicker is that if you only need them colonized with 1 settler minimum, just kick the maintenance down until it's +1 per year and go hog wild.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How many actual colonists do you have? At that point, travel time is going to be your biggest problem.

I did some not-very-exact math and came to the conclusion that you can probably pull it off if you can muster close to a million ducats between loans, your war chest, and debasing currency, by just colonising as normal for now and then going ham in the last year or so.

E: I didn't consider lowering colonial maintenance, so doing that would drastically reduce the amount of money required. If you're at +200 now, shouldn't you still be positive even at minimum maintenance?

Jabor fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 21, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Playstation 4 posted:

The other kicker is that if you only need them colonized with 1 settler minimum, just kick the maintenance down until it's +1 per year and go hog wild.

Oh gently caress, I hadn't even considered that. I'll try it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dev Diary out

So this alone would literally make me buy the expansion if it was the only feature included. We saw the menu with the "these countries will accept an alliance/marriage/vassalization", but the new thing is this:

quote:

Improve Relations is our Leftmost tab and allows for the automation of improving relations via your diplomats. There are 5 rules which you can assign diplomats to work themselves to the bone over.

Target Neighbouring Countries
Target your own Subjects
Target nations who have Aggressive Expansion towards you
Target Allies
Target Threatening nations
Once assigned to a task, your diplomats will work to boost relations with relevant nations. Once they raise a nation to +100 improved relations, they will automatically move on to another. they won't return to improve relations with an already-improved nation unless it falls below +80 improved relations unless they have nothing better to do.

The automated diplomats also have some logic of their own for who they target. They will recognize "hopeless" attempts to improve relations with nations who already have irredeemably low opinion of your nation and will judge nations based on strength and distance from you when placating threatening nations.

As someone who keeps forgetting to use half my diplomats half the time, woah.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That is the quality of life kind of improvement they should be working on

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I gotta say, coming from CK2 to EUIV, there's so many things in EUIV. Like, you have corruption and inflation which both kinda represent economy problems. Stability, prestige, and legitimacy are all kinda face/good governance. Mercantilism exists as well which does something and I don't really know what but it has pluses so I assume it's making some difference, but it's different to trade power. And on top of that, you have monarch points, which are all of those things but also technology. I've probably forgotten some of the dials, but CK2 definitely feels like a much "cleaner" game, even if some of the things in it are kinda byzantine (yuk yuk).

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

spectralent posted:

I gotta say, coming from CK2 to EUIV, there's so many things in EUIV. Like, you have corruption and inflation which both kinda represent economy problems. Stability, prestige, and legitimacy are all kinda face/good governance. Mercantilism exists as well which does something and I don't really know what but it has pluses so I assume it's making some difference, but it's different to trade power. And on top of that, you have monarch points, which are all of those things but also technology. I've probably forgotten some of the dials, but CK2 definitely feels like a much "cleaner" game, even if some of the things in it are kinda byzantine (yuk yuk).

Well, to give a quick rundown as I've understood them:

Inflation correlates to our world with blunt ease, it is, as you said, an economic phenomenon resulting in money having less value, represented through price increases.

Corruption is more of a measurement of a states ability to function in good faith, people are acting according to law, and not embezzling, bribing or otherwise having to constantly grease wheels to get anything done. It's represented through an effect similar to inflation, but for your Monarch Points, or better described, Bureaucratic Capacity. Basically, when you tech up in EUIV, your nation isn't so much actually inventing something so much as it is forcing the nation to a new way of doing something pertaining to its Domestic (ADM), Foreign (DIP), or Military policies.

For the second group,

Stability represents a civilian faith in the governments function, higher stability being a natural trust in the state's well meaning, lower a constant distrust that it has any clue what it's up to.

Prestige is kinda odd, but best described as a celebrity status of sorts, the "Do not gently caress with" sign. Results in you getting what you want, looking real cool, and your followers (soldiers) really love being there for you.

Legitimacy is something you should have some idea of from CK2, basically, your first and second estate's opinions of "is this guy a real Hapsburg" ( insert whatever Dumb Monarch name). Bastards have less, bad rulers who gently caress things up have less.

Mercantilism was better when it was a tradeoff of better control of your products and trade nodes, with considerably less in non controlled.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

EU4 is better by far because my wars don't end when my king dies

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Senor Dog posted:

EU4 is better by far because my wars don't end when my king dies

That's the thing. A lot of mechanics (wars, alliances, truces, CBs, trade, foreign relations, ...) are so much simpler and more intuitive in EU4. Yeah there's a bunch of numbers to juggle around and they could probably get rid of some, but overall things are simpler, and as far as gameplay is concerned it seems like the better game to me. CK2 feels like more of a simulation, and it does a great job at it, but sometimes I just want to conquer the Balkans without micromanaging my court.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

spectralent posted:

CK2 represents a simpler age, so of course it would be simpler :agesilaus:

To be serious, yeah that's partially because there are a lot of mechanics that have been added over time, and partially because the game really is trying to simulate a more complicated political economy, which requires additional layers of abstraction and interconnection between modifiers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I prefer EU4 to CK2 because in spite of the large amount of numbers you have to worry about and tacked-on features from all of its expansions, it actually feels a lot more streamlined to me. CK2 was getting pretty bloated too last time I played and it has an absolute poo poo-ton more meaningless dilemmas and events. And don't even get me started on the education popups

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
CK2 doesn't feel like a simulation in the slightest, it's completely wacky nonsense with the very vaguest veneer of medieval history on top. It's like 1066 And All That come to life. The one aspect of CK2 that I would really like to see in EU4 at this point is that the major players in your kingdom aren't necessarily abstracted, but are actual characters who must factor into the player's calculations. Be a great way to touch up the estate mechanic if they ever felt the need.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

skasion posted:

CK2 doesn't feel like a simulation in the slightest, it's completely wacky nonsense with the very vaguest veneer of medieval history on top. It's like 1066 And All That come to life. The one aspect of CK2 that I would really like to see in EU4 at this point is that the major players in your kingdom aren't necessarily abstracted, but are actual characters who must factor into the player's calculations. Be a great way to touch up the estate mechanic if they ever felt the need.

I just meant "more" of one :v: When I play CK2 I feel compelled to play slower and more methodically, thinking about the consequences of my actions in more realistic terms than just game mechanics. That may just be cause I'm more experienced at EU4, but they feel like very different games to me.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jazerus posted:

CK2 represents a simpler age, so of course it would be simpler :agesilaus:

To be serious, yeah that's partially because there are a lot of mechanics that have been added over time, and partially because the game really is trying to simulate a more complicated political economy, which requires additional layers of abstraction and interconnection between modifiers.

I feel like they could probably condense things down a bit while keeping the fact it's more complex, though. I still don't really understand how trade works (I become a world trade power by killing everyone else in the zone :toot:)

That said, I feel like I enjoy EUIV a lot more. I'm definitely more into the crusading bit of CK2 than I am tactical marriage action. If I can't get a claim somewhere in about five years I get antsy.

Though I should stress I like CK2, it's a matter of degrees.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 21, 2017

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

canepazzo posted:

Dev Diary out

So this alone would literally make me buy the expansion if it was the only feature included. We saw the menu with the "these countries will accept an alliance/marriage/vassalization", but the new thing is this:

:drat: this is an amazing feature

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

spectralent posted:

I feel like they could probably condense things down a bit while keeping the fact it's more complex, though. I still don't really understand how trade works (I become a world trade power by killing everyone else in the zone :toot:)

That said, I feel like I enjoy EUIV a lot more. I'm definitely more into the crusading bit of CK2 than I am tactical marriage action. If I can't get a claim somewhere in about five years I get antsy.

Though I should stress I like CK2, it's a matter of degrees.

I recently started a new CK2 game after a few months break, and every start is... bloated to say the least.

Without even unpausing, on most starts, the notification bar can easily have 10-15 popups that require attention, and if playing Ironman, it's not like you can even save after the busywork, you have to re-do it every single time. It doesn't get that much better during the game, as you have tons of things to keep track of.

Having so much poo poo to do outside of wars was always part of the attraction to me, and what it had over EU games, but I feel like 1-2 expansions ago we passed some critical mass of features piled on, that makes the game feel unwieldy. Reminds me of those pictures of an Arkham Horror game when fully deployed with all expansions.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

canepazzo posted:

Dev Diary out

Oh good, the feature that would make Mandate of Heaven worth it even if it costed like $100. And it's somehow even better than expected.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Edit: Wrong thread.

Macros are good.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Apparently according to Andrzej2 you are all wrong:

If you guys like this feature so much maybe you should just play on observer mode. It will have similar result. You are all disgrace for true strategy players, you don't want to use your brain and expect game to not only tell you everything but also perform many actions automatically.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnoHito posted:

Oh good, the feature that would make Mandate of Heaven worth it even if it costed like $100. And it's somehow even better than expected.
If it doesnt streamline Spy Network creation or claim fabrication I think it is a great feature that still found a way to fall short.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Apparently according to Andrzej2 you are all wrong:

If you guys like this feature so much maybe you should just play on observer mode. It will have similar result. You are all disgrace for true strategy players, you don't want to use your brain and expect game to not only tell you everything but also perform many actions automatically.

Almost like we want to play a national leader with delegations instead of Stalin keeping it all to ourselves and doing a shittastic job.

10 bucks says the pdox forumer is either a tankie or a nazi, but then he's on the pdox forums so...

E: Also, loving lol, expect the game to tell us things HEAVEN loving FORBID. This motherfucker still has a stick up his rear end from when Carnival of Lust was cancelled the jibbering fuckwit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all these features rule, but also, the ages system... :mrwhite:

• Locked thread