Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah, people tend to overlook how badly a single app can gently caress up your phone even without root or any crazy "keep the screen on at full brightness, also be able to turn the flash on at will" privileges. An app like facebook that does a lot of background data transfer and keeps the phone awake for longer than it has any right to will chew through your battery at an astonishing rate (especially over mobile data) and can make it look like your poo poo's defective or getting old.
I got yelled at in the prepaid thread for saying the FB Messenger app is a piece of poo poo, which it is. But it tanked my battery last time it had one of its many bugs and I missed my alarm :emo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Whilst it has definitely had its problems in the past ( I had a weekend away where it was draining my battery faster than I could charge it), it's been good for a long while now

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Smythe posted:

My Nexus 6P works flawlessly and has never encountered any bugs or hardware problems. I think it's likely you've installed some bad software and/or are holding it very wrong.

I have very few apps installed at the moment and every single one of them was also installed in my previous phone (also running 7.1.1) and a Nexus 7 without any such issue.

While I have no explanation for the wakelocks or timeout, the hosed-up gamma is just how the stock display - with AB - works. Maybe you don't notice it, maybe you don't care, but it's there even in your flawless, perfect snowflake of a phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mods?????

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Skarsnik posted:

Whilst it has definitely had its problems in the past ( I had a weekend away where it was draining my battery faster than I could charge it), it's been good for a long while now

Yeah. gently caress the main app though. Getting rid of that is the best thing I ever did. Ads every third post can eat poo poo.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

seravid posted:

I have very few apps installed at the moment and every single one of them was also installed in my previous phone (also running 7.1.1) and a Nexus 7 without any such issue.

While I have no explanation for the wakelocks or timeout, the hosed-up gamma is just how the stock display - with AB - works. Maybe you don't notice it, maybe you don't care, but it's there even in your flawless, perfect snowflake of a phone.

Software updates never break an app and cause it to mutate into battery cancer no sir.

Also on the Google Home Reminder subject. While you can't set a reminder, change exactly what you were going to say, but change "Reminder" to "Alarm" and hey, it works (kinda)! :downsgun:

Pretty much akin to using the string around the finger method at that point.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

EdEddnEddy posted:

Software updates never break an app and cause it to mutate into battery cancer no sir.

Previous phone and N7 are still active, still have those same few apps (plus some more from the new owner) installed and up to date: no wakelocks, no timeout troubles.

Speaking of, the timeout thing has actually been okay for the past couple days; haven't had to restart the phone yet.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My Nexus 5X has been doing a thing for about a week now where it just freezes up completely, including the screen refusing to turn off, and the only recourse I can find is holding the power until the thing reboots. I'm not 100%, but it seems to usually be when I'm going back into Google Play Music after a long delay-- like listening to music while I drive somewhere, turn off the music and walk around for an hour, then get back in the car and start the music back up.

The only whiff of this I can find after repeated searching is some people claiming it to be a precursor to getting hosed by a boot loop.

On a scale of gently caress to gently caress, how worried should I be here?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's always a good idea to have recent backups

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Oh, FFS.

https://twitter.com/OlofKindgren/status/843949755986313216

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Does she like your 6P?

That should still get updates for another year or more at least and be on par with Pixel updates.

If it is too big then go with something else, but the 6P really isn't a bad option if you get one new still which can be found for less thant $400 for the 32G model.

We settled tentatively on the Moto z play, partly because it's $0 on contract (and some of the carriers are seriously lacking in selection).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Best post I've ever seen in this thread.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

There was an update to messenger a couple of months ago that tanked everyone's battery for a few weeks until they fixed it. It was about then I just gave up on both their apps permanently, I just use Metal now.

I'd give Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite a go but you're not allowed to install those if you live in the west. :toot:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Mar 21, 2017

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

I liked this zinger from The Verge's article on Bixby, Samsung's new AI assistant:

Everyone is betting big on these things, and I really don't get it. Using a voice activated assistant in public is extremely awkward, especially if you have to repeat yourself if it doesn't understand what you asked (which is a lot). From the Creative Strategies study:

quote:

only 1.3 percent at work and 6 percent in public [percentage of people who use their AI assistants in these situations].
So yeah, it's amazing if you're by yourself at home?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blue Train posted:

It's always a good idea to have recent backups

Maybe Google will finally get around to adding an automatic backup system.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Arcanen posted:

To be fair, it's great at home with the exception of the single account limitation.

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe Google will finally get around to adding an automatic backup system.

It's like 90% there if my Pixel setup was anything to go by but really it's so ridiculous there isn't an iTunes-like app where you can backup and restore a device, or move to a new device. It's lovely that the OEMs have to roll their own (which of course only work from that OEM's device to another) and it would be trivial to actually do but loving Google...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My 6P has put up a notification asking me to set up Trusted Voice about 3-4 times per day for the past week or so. I do not want to do this. I keep swiping it away, and I've gone into the Smart Lock settings to make sure something wasn't toggled on.

How the gently caress can I stop this? I'm bone stock 7.1.1 March patch level.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My 5x has been doing the same thing. Fairly annoying.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
The March security update hit my phone last night but it seems to only be security related. When is the patch that fixes the Pixel's shoddy Bluetooth going to be delivered?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

MikeJF posted:

There was an update to messenger a couple of months ago that tanked everyone's battery for a few weeks until they fixed it. It was about then I just gave up on both their apps permanently, I just use Metal now.

I'd give Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite a go but you're not allowed to install those if you live in the west. :toot:

Get them from apkmirror?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Arcanen posted:

Everyone is betting big on these things, and I really don't get it. Using a voice activated assistant in public is extremely awkward, especially if you have to repeat yourself if it doesn't understand what you asked (which is a lot). From the Creative Strategies study:

I think part of the hope is that it will become more socially acceptable with use.

So, the more people who use them and the more they're exposed to them and the better the recognition tech gets the more pervasive their use will become...or at least that's the plan. Whether it pans out or not is another story.

That being said, I use Assistant/Now a lot. Just not when there's other people in my immediate surroundings. I spend a lot of time in situations where I'm around people but they're far enough away and/or busy enough that I have the perceived privacy I need to use a voice assistant. Think in my office or walking down the street. No one knows if you're on a phone call or talking to the little AI person in your phone.

Also used a lot in the car.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Get them from apkmirror?

Eh, then I'd have to babysit updates and I really can't be bothered.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does anyone know how to turn off this notification from the Google App?

I take the train every day so I don't give a poo poo about traffic. I have all the poo poo turned off in Google Maps and in the Google App. I don't have any cards or anything, and I reset that data long ago.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I guess some people have crooked camera bumps on their OnePlus 3T
https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/60bhtr/colette_edition/

:lol: OnePlus

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please don't buy a OnePlus phone

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please don't buy a OnePlus phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I guess some people have crooked camera bumps on their OnePlus 3T
https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/60bhtr/colette_edition/

:lol: OnePlus

Yeah but did you see all the RAM?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm writing this message from oneplus phone. My camera cover is straight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

I'm writing this message from oneplus phone. My camera cover is straight.

"My Note7 is totally fine, I'm going to keep using it, it's so fast and pretty and great!"

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Early Android O announcements are going out. Looks like mainly under-the-hood kind of stuff. I think we'll get a buggy as poo poo developer image today with a better one by the time I/O rolls around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dev image is already live

https://developer.android.com/preview/download.html#flashable-images

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

"My Note7 is totally fine, I'm going to keep using it, it's so fast and pretty and great!"

https://www.note7rebels.com

https://twitter.com/note7rebels?lang=en

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/27/samsung-galaxy-note-7-rebels-who-refuse-the-recall.html

:911:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aaahaha this is real

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They should've used the Mass Effect font.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wonder if they will finally give in and swap their timebomb with a Refurb Note 7 that Samsung was planning on selling with the "new" new batteries?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

CLAM DOWN posted:

"The pixel is backordered 3 months, the mic isn't soldered in, and the bluetooth is poo poo but it's the only phone anyone should buy"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

"The pixel is backordered 3 months, the mic isn't soldered in, and the bluetooth is poo poo but it's the only phone anyone should buy"

Yeah, that's pretty comparable to phones that explode.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

To be fair, only a small fraction of phones have the mic issue, and Bluetooth has been poo poo on all Nexus phones forever. But hey, you should buy the most RAM you can find, that will fix everything!!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lots of ram or not, even with 3-4GB does anyone else have any luck with apps actually staying loaded as you switch between them?

Going from something like google messenger, to a single loaded chrome tab, to facebook, seems to always reload the stupid Facebook app (loosing whatever you may have been looking at in the timeline, shuffling it so you will never find what you wanted to see ever again) and after a period of time with any past app running, the phone slows down untill you kill it. (Say if you leave a game up in the background, or some webpage that does have a lot of ad crap running all over it in Chrome.

It just seems like Android still cannot multi/background task even with memory that makes even a modest computer look small, yet a 2GB Atom powered Windows 10 tablet is a better multitasker than Android.

What gives? If I don't clear my recent apps list, any phone I have used just becomes a sluggish mess and has to reload whatever is in that list anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

To be fair, present day if you're going to buy the Pixel at this point and not either wait for the Galaxy S8 series, or the next Pixel you're making a pretty silly decision.