Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chin Strap posted:

Apparently according to Andrzej2 you are all wrong:

If you guys like this feature so much maybe you should just play on observer mode. It will have similar result. You are all disgrace for true strategy players, you don't want to use your brain and expect game to not only tell you everything but also perform many actions automatically.

If you don't mod the game's UI to look like a Windows 95 spreadsheet then you are simply a casual console kiddie who cannot wrap your tiny mind around True Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

oddium posted:

all these features rule, but also, the ages system... :mrwhite:

Ages don't look too bad at least, and it might help the issue I have with the game where people remain hegemons for hundreds of years when in reality empires rise and fall.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Someone once suggested in this thread that Idea groups should expire over time (maybe you keep the capstone?) as a way to reward long term strategic planning and make the way you play your nation varied and interesting over the course of a game, and I still think it's an awesome idea, even if it will never happen in this iteration. Ages seem a bit of a kludge by comparision

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Chin Strap posted:

If you guys like this feature so much maybe you should just play on observer mode. It will have similar result. You are all disgrace for true strategy players, you don't want to use your brain and expect game to not only tell you everything but also perform many actions automatically.

I was really excited to see the new diplomacy macro but I don't want to be a disgrace to true strategy players :ohdear:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

spectralent posted:

Ages don't look too bad at least, and it might help the issue I have with the game where people remain hegemons for hundreds of years when in reality empires rise and fall.

How will it do that? I thought the ages system was "fulfill minor quest & get minor bonus" with some rule/cb unlocks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Fuligin posted:

Someone once suggested in this thread that Idea groups should expire over time (maybe you keep the capstone?) as a way to reward long term strategic planning and make the way you play your nation varied and interesting over the course of a game, and I still think it's an awesome idea, even if it will never happen in this iteration. Ages seem a bit of a kludge by comparision

I think this is a little problematic; some things make sense but some stuff, in particular diplomats/missionaries/colonists, are how you scale up the amount of stuff you can do with the growing size of the world and your empire. Granted, losing them would make relations, conversion and colonisation much harder and would lead to declines, but it'd feel janky to have an empire with global trade and awareness of the whole world getting worse at communicating despite all the progress in that area at the very least. Maybe tie them to technology, or have idea groups be repeatable so having a big empire became a constant investment?

Fintilgin posted:

How will it do that? I thought the ages system was "fulfill minor quest & get minor bonus" with some rule/cb unlocks.

Yeah, but it also favours a couple of nations in that area, which could allow for countries that've been lagging to come to the fore in their golden eras, and lose it when the next guy's time to shine comes and take their toys or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Dev Diary out

So this alone would literally make me buy the expansion if it was the only feature included. We saw the menu with the "these countries will accept an alliance/marriage/vassalization", but the new thing is this:

As someone who keeps forgetting to use half my diplomats half the time, woah.

Holy poo poo it's even better than I thought it would be.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

AnoHito posted:

Oh good, the feature that would make Mandate of Heaven worth it even if it costed like $100. And it's somehow even better than expected.

Don't give them any ideas...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Protip for managing estates: don't let them get over 70% influence unless you have an easy way to reduce it. You might think you're safe as long as you stay under 80%, but going over 70% makes you eligible for events where you have to choose between either giving them even more influence and getting a nasty penalty, or pissing them off really bad.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Having an estate at 80% or slightly more is also kind of fine, because the crisis metre tied to it ticks up very slowly, at 1% per month. Odds are, one of their influence-giving modifiers is going to expire before the crisis actually happens. Still, it pays to be careful.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
https://www.reddit.com/r/eu4/comments/60hkcw/help_better_than_napoleon_i_stopped_paying_for_my/?ref=share&ref_source=link

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Didn't realize that Louis XVI had a reddit account.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Jay Rust posted:

Having an estate at 80% or slightly more is also kind of fine, because the crisis metre tied to it ticks up very slowly, at 1% per month. Odds are, one of their influence-giving modifiers is going to expire before the crisis actually happens. Still, it pays to be careful.

Remember, you can also revoke territory from an estate to reduce their influence, let the crisis drop back down to a tolerable level, and then give them their land back. You just need to manage loyalty, then, but it's not a huge issue usually.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Unfortunately it looks like that guy did it on purpose. Still funny though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If it doesnt streamline Spy Network creation or claim fabrication I think it is a great feature that still found a way to fall short.

This could still happen; in this dev diary there were immediately a bunch of replies asking if they were going to automate spy network creation and/or claims fabrication, and none of the devs responded to those posts but did respond to others. So it's possible that we'll get either automated covert actions or a simplified covert actions interface.

But as of right now, there's no Covert tab in the screenshot for the new Diplomacy UI. From left to right, the icons match what we already have for the current diplomacy menu: Relations, Alliance, Influence, Dynastic, Economic, Papal, HRE, and Great Power. Access and Covert icons are missing from the new UI, so possibly they'll get new tabs that just aren't included yet or those actions are being lumped into these other tabs. It'd be pretty weird to build new UIs for all of the other Diplomatic categories and not these two. Personally I think it would make sense to put Access actions under Alliance, but it looks to me like the UI is definitely not done yet anyway, so who knows

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
edit: As Portugal, I declared on Granada. I got Castille to join by promising them land. Instead, I vassalized Granada. But Castille doesn't care? This seems wrong.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If it doesnt streamline Spy Network creation or claim fabrication I think it is a great feature that still found a way to fall short.

Eh, I still feel better managing this myself. I would be interested in some army automation, though. Late game can be a slog.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ages should hopefully allow places like Persia to spring to life somewhat lik history, which will be cool I think.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's like that wint tweet except with forts instead of candles.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Didn't Johan already say they were automating some espionage stuff? Specifically spies getting discovered will no longer boot the diplomat out of the country and force you to manually resend them, they just won't build any network until a couple months have passed.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Isn't it kind of hosed up that you can give away all your allies' land in a coalition war? As Tunis I just took 8 or so provinces from Castile and Aragon and somehow aggroed half of Europe. I was worried, but then I saw that Venice was coalition leader and I could just give it five provinces it wanted from the Ottomans, plus releasing a couple of nations in the poor desert.

No consequences other than a tooltip saying -10 trust with the Ottomans for separate peace, which I'm not sure even happened. :geno:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, a bit lol. They might fix that at some point though, abusing allies used to be even worse.

So, how exactly do you disband the HRE? In my Byzantium game there's been an unusually strong reformation, but with Catholic as the official faith still, so the electorships slowly got forced onto OPMS. Who I gradually force converted to Orthodox over the course of the game in separate peaces, until a couple of decades ago when I got the last one- so there were no electors left, just the emperor, which is France. Well, I just ate up the last of France's European possessions and forced them down into their colonies in Africa, and the little HRE button in the corner disappeared, but... there still seems to be an HRE. I didn't get the achievement either. Do I have to clear them out of Africa? I was trying hard to make this my first Europe-only game but I guess I'll do that if I have to.

edit: oh, the button just came back. I think since there was a regency it disappeared for a bit. Still, I'd have thought since they're no longer European, it'd force the HRE to disband. Do I need to reduce the number of princes or something?

edit 2: ah crap, I just looked it up. I needed to leave 1 elector alive? That's kind of annoying.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 22, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
You have to occupy the capitals of the emperor and the electors to click the Dismantle HRE button. If there are no electors remaining you can't dismantle it the normal way because the emperor becomes hereditary in that situation. In your case it looks like you'd have to fully annex France to make the HRE stop existing.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh, I didn't realize there was just a straight up button for it, I thought it was automatic. I could have probably done it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mandalay posted:

edit: As Portugal, I declared on Granada. I got Castille to join by promising them land. Instead, I vassalized Granada. But Castille doesn't care? This seems wrong.

Eh, I still feel better managing this myself. I would be interested in some army automation, though. Late game can be a slog.

When you promise land, you're actually just promising that you'll give them an appropriate amount of land compared to the amount of land that you're annexing. What's deemed "appropriate" by them is determined by their war participation. You're not annexing anything, so they're satisfied (yes, the nation becoming your vassal is like you took the land, but whatever). They would also be satisfied if you just took War Reps, Humiliated Granada, forced Granada to break a bunch of treaties and release nations, etc

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Redmark posted:

Isn't it kind of hosed up that you can give away all your allies' land in a coalition war? As Tunis I just took 8 or so provinces from Castile and Aragon and somehow aggroed half of Europe. I was worried, but then I saw that Venice was coalition leader and I could just give it five provinces it wanted from the Ottomans, plus releasing a couple of nations in the poor desert.

No consequences other than a tooltip saying -10 trust with the Ottomans for separate peace, which I'm not sure even happened. :geno:

Yeah, I'm fine with the ability to sell out your allies, but it really should give you some kind of massive relations/trust hit with them unless you also make some comparable concessions.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with the ability to sell out your allies, but it really should give you some kind of massive relations/trust hit with them unless you also make some comparable concessions.

Really should be a massive trust hit with all your allies, and a lesser one with other neighboring countries. "I'm not going to help that fucker, he gave away half of his other ally's land in the last war."

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Chin Strap posted:

Really should be a massive trust hit with all your allies, and a lesser one with other neighboring countries. "I'm not going to help that fucker, he gave away half of his other ally's land in the last war."

-50 Trust to all alllies, -100 to any sold out, -80 (2 decay) relations, -1 Dip Rep

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

QuarkJets posted:

When you promise land, you're actually just promising that you'll give them an appropriate amount of land compared to the amount of land that you're annexing. What's deemed "appropriate" by them is determined by their war participation. You're not annexing anything, so they're satisfied (yes, the nation becoming your vassal is like you took the land, but whatever). They would also be satisfied if you just took War Reps, Humiliated Granada, forced Granada to break a bunch of treaties and release nations, etc

Your explanation makes sense. I was able to exploit my ally by first annexing land in a separate peace with Morocco--and then secondly vassaling the senior war partner Granada. All while calling in Castile with the promise of land.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, you can always take stuff from the junior participants in a war and your allies never give a poo poo. It's a pretty solid exploit, especially in the HRE, where you can call in a huge ally with a promise of land, annex some stuff from junior participants, and then just white peace with your original target (or take money and humiliate or whatever).

QuarkJets posted:

Allies once upon didn't care about War Reps now, but they do now. Rest still holds though.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Thanks for the explanation. I had another opaque diplomatic experience:

I was unable to vassalize the war target--the game would only let my ally (junior partner France) do so.

I was Portugal, leading the war, called in my ally France. There was only one opposing party, Brittany. Brittany was occupied 2/3 by me, 1/3 by France. When it was 2/3 occupied by me, the game let me pick vassalization by me as an option. But when France won its siege of the capital, the game wouldn't let me be the liege to its vassal--only France. Odd.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Mandalay posted:

I was Portugal, leading the war, called in my ally France. There was only one opposing party, Brittany. Brittany was occupied 2/3 by me, 1/3 by France. When it was 2/3 occupied by me, the game let me pick vassalization by me as an option. But when France won its siege of the capital, the game wouldn't let me be the liege to its vassal--only France. Odd.

Only the capital occupier can take vassalization in peace, similar to taking provinces. Sucks when your ally has interest in the capital province and doesn't hand it over to you. Its important to rush that province so you own the siege.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Suppose I want my Sunni nation to adopt the one true faith, Coptic Christianity. What's the most efficient way to go about it, assuming I already control a Coptic province? Right now I have a rebel stack very slowly converting my land, but it's slow going. Is this the best way? Should I be retaking the rebel land once they convert a province?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Suppose I want my Sunni nation to adopt the one true faith, Coptic Christianity. What's the most efficient way to go about it, assuming I already control a Coptic province? Right now I have a rebel stack very slowly converting my land, but it's slow going. Is this the best way? Should I be retaking the rebel land once they convert a province?

Piss off the Dhimmi, grant all the provinces you can to them. Hire some mercs or bring a small army in to liberate those provinces after the 12 month wait time is over. After you liberate, take the province away from the Dhimmi and each province you do this in will spawn rebels.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Also, go to war if you can once you have a nice number of rebels built up. They can't enforce demands while at war so they'll keep converting for you, thus avoiding a long period of low religious unity.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i wish you could tell war allies hey maybe stand in this provence instead of just directing provences to siege

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

deathbagel posted:

Piss off the Dhimmi, grant all the provinces you can to them. Hire some mercs or bring a small army in to liberate those provinces after the 12 month wait time is over. After you liberate, take the province away from the Dhimmi and each province you do this in will spawn rebels.
So let reliogus rebels occupy a province (converting it), then wait twelve months and re-occupy the province, then grant the province to the Dhimmi. Then revoke the Dhimmi from the province and more religous rebels will spawn to convert more of your land to their faith?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
My Burgundy Conquest run was super fun. I got an early PU on France and ended up having to eat most of Austria before I could vassalize the rump state in 1740. I had Russia and Bohemia with my dynasty, but no luck on inheriting due to those assholes declaring war days before dying heirless and being my allies so I didn't want to declare on them.

Any other medium countries that have fun runs like that? It was a nice break from France, Spain, Poland, Muscovy, Brandenburg, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

deathbagel posted:

Ahh, this is the trick I needed to speed things along. Thank you.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Chump Farts posted:

My Burgundy Conquest run was super fun. I got an early PU on France and ended up having to eat most of Austria before I could vassalize the rump state in 1740.

That's not a medium country run at all, that's an overpowered blobbing. Try Ethiopia, but expanding south and east. You get to beat up on all of your neighbors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Getting a PU with France when going for Burgundian Conquest is basically cheating

• Locked thread