Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
After all that worrying about the stream as a defensive barrier we cross almost unopposed and are now in a position to cross in force. Clear the wire, move up the men, bring on the artillery (at last)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah we gotta move fast, the earlier we know that we are having problems the faster we can do something about it. Of my brigadiers I've only had Fathis Munk confirm still being active so far, so 89bde is going to be the first on the map.

If you are one of SaxonD's brigadiers check in itt so I know you're still around!

Flesnolk, my first idea is to throw the first two infantry bdes into the trenches around Steth and Douche so we can move up the cav into the bridgehead, is that basically okay? Next two brigades can either

1. attack towards the central crossings, with cav from the bridgehead trying to arrive at the same time and outflank any defenders
2. advance into the bridgehead so the cav can push further west while the lines are still fluid

Attacking towards the central crossings from the south and the east gives us the chance to envelop an enemy force and maybe get a favorable casualty ratio as a result so I think I'd prefer that one.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

*Command Structure* *Roll20 table* *Pre-turn checklist*
*Movement, cover and spotting* *Firing and combat* *Firing demo*
*Billy bonus* *Writing orders*
*Example orders* *Brigades, Fatigue, New terrain, indirect fire, engineer times, new hill spotting* *Trenches and terrain*
Arrows! Formations! Conditionals! Standing Orders!

40th Saxon Div organisation:
Commander: Aphid_licker

86th Brigade: I provisionally allocated this to Addedspace.
87th:Capnfalcon - Haven't seen much of this guy, better make an appearance soon if he wants to keep it. No, actually, he has posted more than I thought. All good to go.
88th: Raffytaffy - Needs replacement
89th: Fathis Munk - Good to go.

People I know are active and available:
Cokerpilot
LLSix
Ikasuhito

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 21, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'd love for 3rd if possible to get into a position where they could see into the Vallee and the Central Road, especially if the bulk of them can remain hidden in the forest to do so. Would give us ample warning of oncoming reinforcements in the center and south of the map, which would then information whether we choose to hit the center or keep pushing West.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm here.

I'm worried about two places - the southern road entering the Vallee, where reinforcements are likely to show up next turn, and the eastern edge of the Effayders Forest, where the enemy is likely dug in. Our advance cavalry should probably try to either observe or hit one of those spots.

I'm thinking my brigade could march in from the southern road to Steth, go into attack mode, and link up with the brigade coming in from the north. We'd then have a nice concentration of forces to hit a target next round.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah we gotta move fast, the earlier we know that we are having problems the faster we can do something about it. Of my brigadiers I've only had Fathis Munk confirm still being active so far, so 89bde is going to be the first on the map.

If you are one of SaxonD's brigadiers check in itt so I know you're still around!

Flesnolk, my first idea is to throw the first two infantry bdes into the trenches around Steth and Douche so we can move up the cav into the bridgehead, is that basically okay? Next two brigades can either

1. attack towards the central crossings, with cav from the bridgehead trying to arrive at the same time and outflank any defenders
2. advance into the bridgehead so the cav can push further west while the lines are still fluid

Attacking towards the central crossings from the south and the east gives us the chance to envelop an enemy force and maybe get a favorable casualty ratio as a result so I think I'd prefer that one.

NB I am in class right now and will possibly change my mind as I reassess the situation. I don't feel we should try the fords, I feel you should get as many of your men across that southern bridge as fast as you can and stick to that edge to the best of your ability as you advance westwards. This might be me wanting to take advantage of the opening we've found before it gets plugged up however.

ALSO, WE HAVE A THIRD DIVISION ARRIVING AT NIGHTFALL AND NOBODY TO COMMAND IT. STAFF OFFICERS, LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN A COMMAND. OTHERS, GO FORTH AND RECRUIT.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Added Space posted:

I'm here.

I'm worried about two places - the southern road entering the Vallee, where reinforcements are likely to show up next turn, and the eastern edge of the Effayders Forest, where the enemy is likely dug in. Our advance cavalry should probably try to either observe or hit one of those spots.

I'm thinking my brigade could march in from the southern road to Steth, go into attack mode, and link up with the brigade coming in from the north. We'd then have a nice concentration of forces to hit a target next round.

I like this idea IF we're able to actually do it. Trin said a brigade can come in from the northern end of CC, didn't say anything about the south.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Flesnolk posted:

I like this idea IF we're able to actually do it. Trin said a brigade can come in from the northern end of CC, didn't say anything about the south.

I meant the south-east road off La Dand. It will take pretty much the full round to march in and form up from there

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Oh! That is a concern, yes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We gotta be careful not to overextend, they are likely reinforcing on a similar schedule as we are. That's why I liked throwing cav and inf at a common target and gaining the entire river, shorter line and possibly more favorable force balance because we killed a brigade watching that bridge. We can talk it over tomorrow, I'm off to bed.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Capturing an entire river for the sake of a shorter line? I don't follow.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
86th Saxons Green Brigade Draft Orders

Enter in marching formation on the southeastern road, proceeding directly to Stethoscope. Reform into the standard infantry attack formation. Link up with DivCom and await further orders.

Standing Orders

If orders end near a trench and there are no enemies in attack range, jump into that trench.
If an enemy is spotted on the march, assume attack formation and engage.
Use rifles to attack
If the enemy retreats, reform and move to the nearest safe cover
Break off at 50% casualties

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Barring a convincing case to let that go forwards, I feel I'd prefer you to take your brigade across the southern bridge. Saros' 3bde will need help, and I feel we have an opportunity to crack the Brits wide open.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Not wanting to be rude, but as Corps commander you should be concentrating on goals as posture of the Korps as a whole, tasking out your divisions and thinking about the big picture of the enemy's capabilities and limitations, not picking on the positioning of individual brigades. It's not necessarily just what's happening right now, but I feel that there's been a lot of micromanaging through the whole upper command these first few turns, tbh.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The advice is appreciated. I've been concerned about aligning things as needed for my strategy but I can ease up.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No biggie ;) Let me put it this way. In one sentence per division, what do you want your divisions to focus on this game day? (And to a lesser extent, during the next game day.) IMO, that's probably what we most want to know from you right now.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Question for Trin

A very close reading of the map suggests that the Bois de Blob extends just barely into the zone granting observation of the Vallee (and vice versa, but the forest would negate.) Valid interpretation, or overly hopeful reading? Would be an ideal place for entrenchment as an OP.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

87th Saxons Division's COMPLETELY ORIGINAL ORDERS DO NOT STEAL

Enter in marching formation on the eastern road, proceeding directly to Stethoscope. Reform into the standard infantry attack formation. Link up with DivCom and await further orders.

Standing Orders

If orders end near a trench and there are no enemies in attack range, jump into that trench.
If an enemy is spotted on the march, assume attack formation and engage.
Use rifles to attack
If the enemy retreats, reform and move to the nearest safe cover
Break off at 50% casualties

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

:psyduck: What just happened?

The Brits built an entire defensive line and then left it completely unmanned? Where are they?

Are they in the Northern forest?

Do the Brits have any other companies on the map?

Should we push into the Suaccisson Vallee and see what's there? I mean, may as well see how close they're going to let us get to Effyaders, right?

Fake Edit: Need a plan on where to send the scout plane since we get one every day.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

good point on the plane. we'll have three daylight turns, this being the first, in which to use it, right? we might want to hold onto it for a later phase - or we might not? i feel like we don't even know enough to confidently direct the plane - although we could just hit a big intersection and hope to see some movement. i don't think the plane can see into cover.

for some sort of reference, here's about how many inches it is by road between the various towns, bridges, fords, and intersections. don't take it as gospel, trin has not attempted to follow inch-perfect movements so far and promises never to do so, but it might help people answer questions like 'can my brigade make it to the bois de blob before a hypothetical infantry brigade coming from [various possible entente spawn points]?'

edit: also, here's jaguars!' post about how far you need to be going before the one-turn penalty associated with starting in marching order and switching to battle is worth the speedier movement:

Jaguars! posted:

• Marches only happen if you request them ,and only on roads. If you move off the road, you go into a combat formation.
  • March move bonus is an extra 50% movement and it takes one turn to get into or out of formation.
  • You can start in march formation when your brigade arrives on the map, saving a turn forming up.

Infantry move 8" in combat formation. In march they move 12". If we compare the distances moved each turn, including turns spent getting into and out of formation:
code:
Turn                   : 1  2   3   4   5   6   7
Combat formation       : 8  16  24  32  40  52  60 
March (from 1st turn)  : 12 24  36  36             (last turn shaking out into combat formation)
March (into and out of): 0  12  24  36  48  60  60 (1st turn forming up, last shaking out)
TL:DR is if you are on the board and have a long distance to go, it's not worth it unless it's more than 60" away and will take 7 turns. If you're entering the board in march and don't have to waste time forming up, then it's worthwhile for anything longer than 36"/4 turns away.

Cavalry on a road move at 16" (12" on open ground) and a cavbde in march formation can move 24"*. so again:
code:
Turn                   : 1  2   3   4   5   6   
Combat formation       : 16 32  48  64  80  96  
March (from 1st turn)  : 24 48  48             (last turn shaking out into combat formation)
March (into and out of): 0  24  48  72  96  96  (1st turn forming up, last shaking out)
So cav reinforcements are probably worth marching to the front lines, if you're on the board already you shouldn't bother unless you're moving for more than 6 turns.

it looks like infantry entering the map from the eastern edge benefit from marching before they even cross the river west of la dand. the brigade entering from the north on the CC might benefit from entering in battle formation, though, depending on what we want them to do

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 21, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

No biggie ;) Let me put it this way. In one sentence per division, what do you want your divisions to focus on this game day? (And to a lesser extent, during the next game day.) IMO, that's probably what we most want to know from you right now.

Hrmmmmm. Ideally I want both divisions moving to exploit the opening we've created in the south as quickly as possible, establishing a foothold on the opposite side of the stream and continuing to push west. By all means have some elements protecting our flanks, but, for example, if we could get one cav and one infantry bde across the stream before that one engineer's friends show up, we'd be in a pretty good position.

As for the scout plane, let me get back to that tomorrow. Unsure when and where would be best to deploy it.

Edit: Saros, how viable would it be to have 3bde sneak out of BdB and into the depression? They probably know we're here - best case scenario I can imagine is they only know their engineer disappeared, worst case scenario they know exactly where we are (or, at least, that we're in BdB) and how we got there. I might prefer we slip past any enemy moving to clear that wood, but let me know if it is or isn't a viable play.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 21, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

:psyduck: What just happened?

The Brits built an entire defensive line and then left it completely unmanned? Where are they?

Are they in the Northern forest?

Do the Brits have any other companies on the map?

Should we push into the Suaccisson Vallee and see what's there? I mean, may as well see how close they're going to let us get to Effyaders, right?

Fake Edit: Need a plan on where to send the scout plane since we get one every day.

They most certainly built that stuff ahead of time for their reinforcements. Now that we can camp those positions, however, even if those reinforcements are still coming, we are in a good position to trash them, and move in with our own overwhelming force.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Guys chill with the orders for a second, we don't even have unit compositions or entry locations yet. Also those box formations are rather bad for combat, half your riflemen won't be able to engage.

That said absolutely the top priority should be getting infantry over the river line, I'm going to pull as much of my cavalry over as possible but I won't be able to hold against enemy infantry brigades.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Reinforcements map:

A division consists of four infantry brigades; a brigade is the same size as last round except with two mortars instead of one. Two infantry brigades will enter the map immediately, and two more on Turn 53. One of the brigades that enters on Turn 53 may do so from the northern end of the Chemin Creux. Additionally, 8 cavalry companies will enter the map and reinforce 2nd Brigade.

There is also an autonomous artillery brigade organised into a single group of 12 7.7cm Feldkanonen. It enters on Turn 53 and may use the Chemin Creux. Guns travel on-road at 12" in single file. Here is a reminder of the rules for indirect fire.

Your artillery may still use direct fire according to the rules, and is still subject to the rules about limbering and unlimbering. However, it may also use indirect fire when directed to do so. Indirect fire range is currently 40". All guns in a brigade must fire at once, and target an area equivalent to the number of chits in the brigade. (So, a brigade with one gun targets a 50px single-chit sized square; a brigade with four guns can arrange four 50px target squares however it likes; a brigade with eight guns can arrange eight squares, and so on.)

I say again for emphasis, all guns in a brigade will fire at once when using indirect fire.

Friendly fire is possible when using Indirect Fire. If units from opposing sides are within 2" of the target, I will determine who, if anyone, gets hit by the fire. Guns using Indirect Fire must still have 2" of clearance in order to fire over the head of friendly units.

Ordered Fire

An artillery brigade may use Ordered Fire on any turn when it is unlimbered. The relevant Artillery Commander selects a point to be targeted (subject to a Change of Orders roll if required) and the turn on which the guns should fire, and as long as the orders get through, the guns will open fire on that point.

Supporting Fire

An artillery brigade may be set to Supporting Fire by its commander. When another brigade spots the enemy, they will send a message to the artillery, and the artillery may then target and use Indirect Fire against the enemy companies. This is subject to the same 8"/16"/24" (and etc.) time lag as for a Change of Orders. The closer you put your guns to the infantry, the quicker they respond, but the more likely they are to be overrun by an enemy breakthrough. Once the message gets through, the artillery spots the enemy as though they were positioned in place of the spotting company/companies.

Limited Ammunition

Owing to the difficulty of supply, the shortfall in munitions manufacture, and the prolific use of shells already in the war, your artillery brigades are limited to no more than 24 indirect fire missions per day. There is, at present, no limit on the number of Direct Fire missions you may use. Your ammunition comes up at 0800 each day.

Standing Orders

The following standing orders apply to artillery brigades (if the Artillery Commander can think of anything else that should be SOs and not conditionals, I'll take suggestions). As before, bold indicates the default, and italics alternatives.

Override Ordered Fire to support friendly brigades?
Yes
No

By default, a brigade cancels any orders to use Ordered Fire on a turn when it is informed that an infantry brigade needs supporting fire.

Minimum number of fire missions remaining to use Supporting Fire

This allows you to control whether the artillery should automatically use Supporting Fire until it runs out of ammunition, or conserve a certain number of fire missions for use during the remainder of the day.

Break off automatically when enemy companies are Spotted within
16"
12"
8"
4"

This allows you to control when the guns should break off to avoid being overrun by another lunatic brigadier on a horse. An artillery brigade that breaks off or retreats suppressed cannot then use Ordered Fire until it gets new orders, but it will attempt to unlimber after breaking off, and then continues using Supporting or Direct Fire until the end of the update. When guns break off or retreat suppressed, they may limber and move immediately, on the same turn.

When multiple requests for support are received, favour requests from
Nearest brigade
Brigade spotting most enemies
[INSERT BRIGADE NUMBER HERE] Brigade

This helps me clarify who should get support if your guns get requests from multiple brigades. Along the same lines...

When two brigades issue requests for support
Support one brigade with all guns
Split in half and support both brigades with half strength

I am still trying to figure out whether it'd be too difficult to keep track of everything if I let you split that 12-gun brigade in half. This standing order is the compromise; if it works, I'll let you have more flexibility; if not, I may have to revoke it. In any case, you can only support a maximum of two brigades at one time.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hey Trin you said the Div HQ was in Stethoscope, is it in telephone contact with corps or did the fighting sever the telephone lines?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah guys hold off a second with brigade orders until the division has orders from corps, Flesnolk wasn't sure how to play this last we heard. Once I have orders I'll make an official order post for the brigades. It is important to order one's orders in orderly order.

The Prussian Standard infantry fighting formation was a line of infantry out front, a line of infantry and MGs behind that in direct contact, and two inches behind that bde HQ and arty assets, which in this iteration is just the two mortars.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 21, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
The big guns! :getin:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I kind of feel bad for those engineers we just gunned down there.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cokerpilot posted:

I kind of feel bad for those engineers we just gunned down there.

They didn't have their visas, the territory of the Empire is inviolate.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Okay so our deployment zone has hardly moved and we have troops at around the halfway point of the map. It will take a good amount of time to get our infantry in position to achieve anything much so it's up to the cavalry to hold the fort for now. I expect that some BEF infantry are going to be moving up and they likely know we are *somewhere* in BdB so i'm planning to pull as much cavalry power as I can together and make a stand.

Further assumptions are that their infantry will probably arrive in BdB before we can get ours there and they probably have some cavalry around somewhere as wall as a couple of Armored Cars. This means our Cav in BdB are likely going to be outgunned and outnumbered even if we get a second Bde there.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 21, 2017

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
You know It dawns on me that thanks to night time line of sight we literately could have trotted right by any British troops in those woods and not seen them. Might there still be an engineer in the woods? I think from where we are positioned we won't see them if they come from the north until they are right no top of us. Though the might still think we are in that trench.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Paging Aphid to the Roll20, Aphid we have a plan we need your input on as it requires your arty and co-operation.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Aphid, get on Roll20 when you can so we can coordinate what the divisions are doing. I'll have no spats between the Saxons and Bavarians ruining unit cohesion in my corps. :V

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, the entante has to know third is there.

However, we should change our focus since arty is coming from the north. We can position and unlimber this round while infantry moves up and 2nd cav reinforces. That means next round we can hit the foret with an artillery bombardment and 5 brigades. That has to be stronger than anything they have in there.

If we keep moving south we'll be feeding brigades in one at a time, which invites defeat in detail.

I really only have one choice for movement next round, but can anyone suggest a better formation?

Added Space fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 21, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sorry, I was out running, and by running I mean inspecting a liberated wine cellar. I'll be right over.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hey, uh timing wise I'd have to type up orders in the next 6 hours if I want to be able to submit something before the deadline tomorrow since I'm EUTZ and will need to sleep/work afterwards.

Also these are my first orders so it'll probs take me a bit longer and I don't want to rush it tomorrow morning before going to work :sun:

E: I'll drop into the roll20 when I get home in about an hour.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's possible that with their knowledge of the southern prong, they will move their forces to counter it, allowing a smooth push in the north. So I would agree that given circumstances, making an attempt at a northern offensive while southern cavalry ties up the enemy makes sense.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Anyway the plan seems to be coming together. We are going to co-ordinate an assault on Effy Forest. Roughly 0800-1200 everyone gets into position and at 1200 3 cav bde and the northern arriving infantry descend upon the SE corner while the arty shells the poo poo out of it.

Cav brigadeer's I will have specific orders for you this evening. Whoever is in charge of the northern CC arriving infantry and arty are also needed for this so please report in or hit up the roll20.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 21, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

Hey, uh timing wise I'd have to type up orders in the next 6 hours if I want to be able to submit something before the deadline tomorrow since I'm EUTZ and will need to sleep/work afterwards.

Also these are my first orders so it'll probs take me a bit longer and I don't want to rush it tomorrow morning before going to work :sun:

E: I'll drop into the roll20 when I get home in about an hour.

I'm going to make this official later but unofficially, so you can start writing, you will enter the map via the North end of Chemin Creux and advance west, attacking Foret de Effyaders across the river supported by divisional artillery and cav from the South.

Click the link below for a post with orders that Trin liked a lot, so if you get stuck you can use that as a rough guide on what needs to be in there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post469398076

Click the link below for a compilation by Jaguars! of important rules posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post470531365

Click the link below for a pic of the command-approved infantry fighting formation:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&pagenumber=38#post470554394

We have noticed that we have a significant firepower advantage over the enemy so we encourage all SaxonD brigadiers to set standing orders to engage with rifle fire rather than charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Fathis the most important part is you to order your troops to move to the edge of the inutille farm (so they are concealed) then wait for 1200hrs. At 1200 order them to advance across ford C and attack the presumed enemy position in Effayers Forest. Artillery should be falling on the forest boundaries until at least 1pm to cover your advance.

Get on Roll20 if you can and make sure to set a high tolerance for casualties.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 21, 2017

• Locked thread