Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
But other than that most of Danny's stories are pretty bad until we get to the Brubaker/Fraction era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

But other than that most of Danny's stories are pretty bad until we get to the Brubaker/Fraction era.

But before that he was pretty awesome as a hero for hire

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

But before that he was pretty awesome as a hero for hire

I meant to say his solo stories, sorry!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rhyno posted:

Are those collected in TPBs?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Are those collected in TPBs?

The Bru/Fraction? Oh yeah, in trade and biggy hardcovers.

e: Or just get this.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 20, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Power Man & Iron Fist have a couple Epic Collections and was supposed to be released in the Omnibus format in time for Defenders but the roll back on Omni's appears to have killed it. There's also two collections of the 1997 series that's uh, kind of lovely.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Comixology held a big sale that unfortunately ended yesterday. Like the show itself, the concept of it is beyond stupid, because people have barely finished watching it, and I only discovered the sale a few hours before it ended, when I looked to buy some IF comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

^^^^^Nope I just bought em like five minutes ago.

FYI there's a huge Iron Fist sale on at Comixology and you can pick up the entire Immortal IF run + the Five Weapons collection for less than $25 bucks. Last day for it too!

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=15982&lang=1

How was Kaare Andrew's Living Weapon run?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

How was Kaare Andrew's Living Weapon run?

Started looking cool then got lovely real fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The new solo IF book launches wednesday, hopefully it doesn't suck!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm 20 minutes into episode 5 of IF and I just can't take this poo poo anymore. That takeout dinner scene was loving horrible. Clunky dialogue, horrible characterization. How Colleen goes from repulsed to attracted to this creep is beyond me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I enjoy literally every character in Iron Fist but Danny.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm 20 minutes into episode 5 of IF and I just can't take this poo poo anymore. That takeout dinner scene was loving horrible. Clunky dialogue, horrible characterization. How Colleen goes from repulsed to attracted to this creep is beyond me.

That actually is explained, but it takes like 5 more episodes.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

howe_sam posted:

I enjoy literally every character in Iron Fist but Danny.

Show should have been Meet the Meachums, with Danny as the wacky neighbor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

StumblyWumbly posted:

Show should have been Meet the Meachums, with Danny as the wacky neighbor.

I love how Harold is all "Aw Ward you tried to kill me, I'm so proud of you son. :3:"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Flash writers realize all their mistakes and are working to make the next season not so bad? The long national nightmare that is Barry Allen's stupidity may be over.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TwoPair posted:

Flash writers realize all their mistakes and are working to make the next season not so bad? The long national nightmare that is Barry Allen's stupidity may be over.

There has been an article that was along the lines of "Flash writers realize where they went wrong. Get ready for next season! It's won't be poo poo!" at the end of every season since season 2.

I'll wait and see.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There has been an article that was along the lines of "Flash writers realize where they went wrong. Get ready for next season! It's won't be poo poo!" at the end of every season since season 2.

I'll wait and see.

I hear this season of Smallville is gonna be the one where it gets good.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I guess I thought that Supergirl was going to be a musical episode, and not 2 minutes of the Music Meister zipping off to Flash country right before the credits booooooooo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From a reddit post claiming that IF has the greatest disparity between critics and fans.

Few obvious warnings are:
-this is a sum of up or down ratings, not a 2 star vs 8 star rating. So a kind of thumbs down is no different from a mega thumbs down here
-lol internet polls
-obviously there is no objective measure of quality

I'm wondering how much the initial negative reviews of the show drove down expectations. Around here at least, this show seems to be getting a lot less flack than JJ or DDs2, though most of the discussion about it is about how it's not as bad as all the critics said. No one is saying it's great, and there seems to be a consensus that it's the worst of the four, but not by a huge margin. I've seen opinions here and elsewhere from people that really like it and really hate it, but most people seem to think it's fine, not great but not horrible (which is an odd place for a consensus to land on the internet where everything is either amazing or horrendous, especially w/r/t to genre stuff) I wonder if there were no reviews before hand if fans would be more critical of it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 21, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Rotten Tomatoes is generally a metric for how accessible a movie is, not how great it is. I can't remember who it was who came to that conclusion, but I think it's a pretty convenient way to use RT.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

zoux posted:

From a reddit post claiming that IF has the greatest disparity between critics and fans.

-this is a sum of up or down ratings, not a 2 star vs 8 star rating. So a kind of thumbs down is no different from a mega thumbs down here
-lol internet polls

I'm wondering how much the initial negative reviews of the show drove down expectations. Around here at least, this show seems to be getting a lot less flack than JJ or DDs2, though most of the discussion about it is about how it's not as bad as all the critics said. No one is saying it's great, and there seems to be a consensus that it's the worst of the four, but not by a huge margin. I've seen opinions here and elsewhere from people that really like it and really hate it, but most people seem to think it's fine, not great but not horrible (which is an odd place for a consensus to land on the internet where everything is either amazing or horrendous, especially w/r/t to genre stuff) I wonder if there were no reviews before hand if fans would be more critical of it.

Part of the disparity is probably that the reviewers only got the first 6 episodes and this is the first Netflix series where the back half is actually much better than the first half.

It's still definitely the worst of the Marvel Netflix shows, but it has a really bad opening episode or two and then levels off before it takes off. Other than the first 1-2 episodes, it never gets really bad but rarely gets really amazing either.

I think that, in a weird way, this is the first time that the Netflix shared universe really hurt a show by not being more like the MCU.

They tried to keep Iron Fist much more grounded, but it probably would have been more interesting if they just went full "Doctor Strange - Magic is real - Alternate dimension dragon" and ran with it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

Rotten Tomatoes is generally a metric for how accessible a movie is, not how great it is. I can't remember who it was who came to that conclusion, but I think it's a pretty convenient way to use RT.

I'm not holding up RT as some ideal rating system, I'm just using it as an example of the disparity between initial critic reviews and the general fan reaction. I think regardless of one's opinion of IF (I haven't even seen it yet, so I don't have a dog in the fight) one can agree there's a pretty big gap between critic and fans in this case. I'm just curious if it's an issue of expectations, or maybe the fact that they only screened the first six episodes or what.

One thing I've noticed from TV critics with respect to shows on streaming platforms that are released all at once, is that critics seem to hold these shows to pacing standards and story structures set by commercial television, based around a once-a-week viewing model. I've seen so many articles decrying the death of the "episode" in favor of pacing and narrative made with the expectation that you're watching the whole show within a week. I feel like a lot of these streaming shows are behind the eight ball with some of these critics who are judging them by a different standard than what they're going for.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think we lack good TV critics in general. I think it's fair to say that this is some of the worst TV from a writing and directing perspective, but the actual experience of watching the show isn't tantamount to torture.

It's Netflix and it's superheroes, so a lot of people just want to know whether they'll be able to sit through the entire show, and I feel like more reviewers should answer that question.

It's fine to discuss to which extent it's great art (it sure as gently caress is not), but it's watchable garbage - and honestly more tolerable than the later CW seasons running on fumes.

And let's be honest, this show demonstrates a general trend in Marvelflix shows that we would be remiss not to point out, and as god-awful as IF is, many of its sins are Marvel, Netflix and Hollywood's.

As you also point to, some critics are probably extra cross for having to binge x episodes of a terrible TV show as opposed the weekly drip of a garbage show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

-lol internet polls

I think nerds and superhero fans (repeating myself, haha) have low standards as long as they are getting what they want, more superhero fare.

People will still defend Smallville here.

Fans as a whole were never going to totally hate on IF, no matter how bad it was going to turn out. You just have to pick people who you respect to listen to when spending your valuable free time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah I think it boils down to the various things already said.

Critics didn't get the whole show, and the back half is a bit better than the first few episodes.
People can be mobilized to vote in internet polls for dumb reasons very easily.
Geek fans are incredibly close minded and put up huge blinders for things they have already decided they want to like and they will not tolerate dissenting opinions.

That said, Iron Fist does not deserve a 19% score by a long shot. It was no where near as bad as Batman v Superman. I'd think high 60s would be fair. Maybe very low 70s.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I think it boils down to the various things already said.

Critics didn't get the whole show, and the back half is a bit better than the first few episodes.
People can be mobilized to vote in internet polls for dumb reasons very easily.
Geek fans are incredibly close minded and put up huge blinders for things they have already decided they want to like and they will not tolerate dissenting opinions.

That said, Iron Fist does not deserve a 19% score by a long shot. It was no where near as bad as Batman v Superman. I'd think high 60s would be fair. Maybe very low 70s.

RT % scores are not a score on the quality of the show.

It is the percentage of reviews that are "fresh" or generally positive.

A show where 100% of the reviews were "it was okay, but probably not worth your time unless you are a fan." will have a score of 0% and lower than a show where 95% of the reviews say, "This was an abomination unto god and the worst piece of media ever created." and 5% say, "I thought it was decent."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'll wait and see.

This is only season 3.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

One thing I've noticed from TV critics with respect to shows on streaming platforms that are released all at once, is that critics seem to hold these shows to pacing standards and story structures set by commercial television, based around a once-a-week viewing model. I've seen so many articles decrying the death of the "episode" in favor of pacing and narrative made with the expectation that you're watching the whole show within a week. I feel like a lot of these streaming shows are behind the eight ball with some of these critics who are judging them by a different standard than what they're going for.

When you have 13 episodes, all of which are nearly or over an hour long, you shouldn't wait until episode 6 or 7 to get to the good stuff.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

This is only season 3.

And tbf they actually did fix a bunch of problems with season 2, it's just that season 2 was a dumpster fire of problems

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Aphrodite posted:

This is only season 3.

I know, but there has been some version of "Don't worry guys! We've heard you and if you stick around, then I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!" coming from the show every couple of months for the last year or so.

Just insert [next season, season break, crossover event, etc] as the one thing that shows we totally get it now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

When you have 13 episodes, all of which are nearly or over an hour long, you shouldn't wait until episode 6 or 7 to get to the good stuff.

I do think that a lot of the shows have pacing issues with respect to their season long arcs, I think that if the Marvel shows were 6 or 7 episodes total most of the most common complaints about them would go away. They kind of tried a fix like this for Luke Cage and DD s2, but what we had were 2 outstanding arcs and 2 bad arcs. I think the two-arcs-per-season model has merit, you just need a way to mesh them organically and, well, come up with better arcs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/kassyapple/status/844227499882172416

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That's loving amazing. He couldn't be bothered to not even use the incorrect, improper term for Asian.

Basically, "I'm not racist, but..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comic book creator, not the show creator.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

There is no loving way that's a real quote. I need a source for that because holy loving poo poo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dexo posted:

There is no loving way that's a real quote. I need a source for that because holy loving poo poo.

That's from the 77-year old co-writer of the original Iron Fist comic and not someone who worked on the show. The tweet headline is misleading.

But it is a real quote.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also worth noting is that not every senior citizen is actually racist, and that plenty of 20 somethings say things just as bad or worse than that quote.

Just pointing that out in case him being 77 is seen as some kind of excuse.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Am I going to be the first to provide the link?

quote:

On the other hand, if they had decided to make Iron Fist an Asian, that would have been fine with me, too. I wouldn’t have cared. I didn’t consider myself the safeguard of some kind of Caucasian literary standard or anything like that. But I would have found it easier to write about a Caucasian, so that’s one reason I probably did it. If somebody had suggested, “You want to make it so he’s Asian?” Well, we could have done that too.

You should read the entire thing, since it's too easy to take out of context quotes (like the above one). The impression I get he cares about the core concept of Iron Fist, not so much if the main character ends up being asian (oriental?), black, woman, alien...

But now we can see why Marvel wasn't that keen on having creators associated to their characters. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kal-L posted:

Am I going to be the first to provide the link?

You should read the entire thing, since it's too easy to take out of context quotes (like the above one). The impression I get he cares about the core concept of Iron Fist, not so much if the main character ends up being asian (oriental?), black, woman, alien...

But now we can see why Marvel wasn't that keen on having creators associated to their characters. v:v:v

The whole quote is a bit better, but he really could have just said the second half and made a perfectly valid point, without, you know... saying the other stuff.