Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

Im not sure the rural population is any better. People are people. 1 person, one vote. I hope thats not too radical for you.

To be fair shillary knew the rules and hosed up anyway.

Lol, 1 person 1 vote, okay the whites all vote to ship the blacks to Africa now what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Oh boy, national policy should totally be dictated by groups of people that totally believe any day now, those manufacturing jobs were you walk in with a firm handshake and have a job for life are going to come back.

They should at least have their problems addressed instead of sneered at by elites and their cocksucking lackeys and the EC assured that's going to happen. Working as intended. No change needed.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I took think people living in Viola Wisconsin should have a more representative vote than someone living in the most populated, economically strong, and educated areas.

Some how a black man with a funny name got these rural Wisconsin racists to vote for him. I wonder how???

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Toadvine posted:

consistently downtrodden groups can be manipulated by greedy types to act against their own best interests

You're either dumb or vindictive if you think 60 million Americans are innately bigoted rather than desperate and mislead

They are innately bigoted and mislead, and choose to be mislead, want to be mislead and only want to deal with people who mislead them.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Lol, 1 person 1 vote, okay the whites all vote to ship the blacks to Africa now what

Well you see I only mean 1 person 1 vote when it personally benefits me and all those other protections against mob rule that I like should stay in place.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

They are innately bigoted and mislead, and choose to be mislead, want to be mislead and only want to deal with people who mislead them.

But enough about the Democrats and their voters.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

You seem like team progressive but who exactlY are you trying to help if you think half of voting America is immune to progress?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

They should at least have their problems addressed instead of sneered at by elites and their cocksucking lackeys and the EC assured that's going to happen. Working as intended. No change needed.

Their concerns were addressed during the election "those jobs are never coming back, how about cheaper education?". Meanwhile Trump said those jobs will be bigly and everyone voted for the retarded option. So that's why their concerns shouldn't matter, because they can't accept reality.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Toadvine posted:

You seem like team progressive but who exactlY are you trying to help if you think half of voting America is immune to progress?

the other half that didn't choose to shoot themselves in the foot.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Their concerns were addressed during the election "those jobs are never coming back, how about cheaper education?". Meanwhile Trump said those jobs will be bigly and everyone voted for the retarded option. So that's why their concerns shouldn't matter, because they can't accept reality.

trump won and you're still raging about the poopular vote

maybe you should accept reality :grin:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Who can guess why they voted against the party that told them "tough poo poo, maybe your kids will have cheaper school" when they are dying of poverty and addiction?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Mordor She Wrote posted:

the other half that didn't choose to shoot themselves in the foot.

I hate to break this to you, but the only people who shot themselves more in the foot this time around than the Trumpsters are the DNC.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

This is a failure of the democrats to craft a persuasive message and you're blaming the public for not being persuaded. Politics is funny that way, you gotta convince people.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Who can guess why they voted against the party that told them "tough poo poo, maybe your kids will have cheaper school" when they are dying of poverty and addiction?

Well now they'll die of poverty and addiction and so will their kids and they won't even have a chance for a decent education, so I guess the Republicans have their voting base set for the next century.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Thats kind of a ridiculous argument because the intended counter to mob rule was a voter property qualification.

Do you think some people should have more votes than others?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The plight of people stupid enough to want more jobs should be ignored. More jobs to make more crap for more people to buy is what got America an addict mentality, swapping that for heroin is just the free market in action.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A voting system would ideally represent the actual distribution of power. It was created so instead of people going to war to determine who gets what, they would instead count how much power everyone has and predict what would happen if a war took place and then just skip the war and go straight to the aftermath of the hypothetical war. This way there is less death and destruction. So the ideal voting system for a given scenario depends on the power of the different factions. For example if the city folks outnumbered the rural folks 1000:1, but the city folks only had pistols, while the rural folks had nukes, then the ideal voting system would put most of the power in the hands of the rural folks.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The idea of the pro-trump crowd for the left is that they should surrender and help trump which is really dumb.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

Thats kind of a ridiculous argument because the intended counter to mob rule was a voter property qualification.

Do you think some people should have more votes than others?

It's not 1 vote per person, that's majority rule which is unstable.

Dude if you want it like that we should switch the UN to a popular vote so the world will be run by India and China and gently caress places like Sweden.

Do you see how loving stupid that is

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Anyone who is pro-popular vote should tell me why it would be smart to have the UN decided by China and India's population and how that might gently caress things up immensely

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

u become thankful u dont' live ina democracy more like democrazy haha nice

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

qkkl posted:

A voting system would ideally represent the actual distribution of power. It was created so instead of people going to war to determine who gets what, they would instead count how much power everyone has and predict what would happen if a war took place and then just skip the war and go straight to the aftermath of the hypothetical war. This way there is less death and destruction. So the ideal voting system for a given scenario depends on the power of the different factions. For example if the city folks outnumbered the rural folks 1000:1, but the city folks only had pistols, while the rural folks had nukes, then the ideal voting system would put most of the power in the hands of the rural folks.

wow thanks 4 copypasting my fallout 4 review on steam

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Honestly the hope is that you diversify the rural areas by developing industries there. If you create jobs in the rural areas, people of all colors will move there and the electoral college won't seem so wacky

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's not 1 vote per person, that's majority rule which is unstable.

Dude if you want it like that we should switch the UN to a popular vote so the world will be run by India and China and gently caress places like Sweden.

Do you see how loving stupid that is

So you like New York republicans and Texas democrats being disenfranchised in presidential elections?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Honestly the hope is that you diversify the rural areas by developing industries there. If you create jobs in the rural areas, people of all colors will move there and the electoral college won't seem so wacky

Hmm yes, everyone is going to open up multiple plants for all the small towns across the U.S with livable wages with a diverse series of labor options for everyon...hahahahah

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

So you like New York republicans and Texas democrats being disenfranchised in presidential elections?

Would a popular vote work for a representative body like the UN? And if not, what is the difference

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

I prefer the combo of state/popular vote the EC uses instead of a direct mob vote. It only hurts progressives when they run super lovely candidates and if punishing the Dems for running Clinton is the end result then full steam ahead. Every election is the Dem's to lose and somehow they manage at least half the time by their own doing.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Mordor She Wrote posted:

and that's why obama won

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Would a popular vote work for a representative body like the UN? And if not, what is the difference

The UN is designed a bit differently and has a different role from the US government. The UN is not a world government. If the US presidential elections worked like UN assembly resolutions, it would be pretty dumb, I think. The reason why the most powerful countries have veto power, for example, is because such a body would not have the most influential powers in it. It is an entirely different thing from the USG. The UN assembly is more about building consensus than about governance, which is why it does this.

I prefer the combo of state/popular vote the EC uses instead of a direct mob vote. It only hurts progressives when they run super lovely candidates and if punishing the Dems for running Clinton is the end result then full steam ahead. Every election is the Dem's to lose and somehow they manage at least half the time by their own doing.

Why would republican votes in NY and democratic votes in TX mattering result in mob rule? Are these populations in particular bad for the country? The EC basically heavily rewards voters in states big enough to matter(many rural states don't matter, even if they're contested, because 3 EC votes are worthless) that are really close. Why is winner-take-all in these situations the superior option? I'm not talking about one election or another- as I said before, everyone goes into these elections knowing the rules. I'm just wondering what the virtue is here. Genuinely curious.

I can point out a lot of counter examples to the notion that the EC protects interests that are otherwise vulnerable(the Senate, for example, is much more effective if you're trying to empower West Virginians and North Dakotans).

For example, in a proportional EC system, the Republican votes in California would actually matter- not every vote in that state would go to democrats. It would be the other way around in many other states. People are talking about how the country would be dominated by LA and NY, but in all honesty it would even things out a lot more. Rural people would still disproportionately have some EC votes, and the margins might be small enough that the 3 WV electors matter some day.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 21, 2017

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

rezatahs posted:

trump won and you're still raging about the poopular vote

maybe you should accept reality :grin:

#Hillarywouldhavewon

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

I'm just wondering what the virtue is here.

The city votes for more money, the city gets more money, more people move into the city, the city votes for more money, the city gets more money, more people move into the city, rinse repeat

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

The city votes for more money, the city gets more money, more people move into the city, the city votes for more money, the city gets more money, more people move into the city, rinse repeat

The cities would no longer controll all of their states' EC in a proportional method though. New York would send both R and D electors in a presidential election. It would broaden campaigning as improving the margins in solidly oppositional states would amount to something now.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

The cities would no longer controll all of their states' EC in a proportional method though. New York would send both R and D electors in a presidential election.

It's not about party affiliation it's about voting for self-interests.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It's not about party affiliation it's about voting for self-interests.

So why are rural voters' self interest more important than urban voters' self interest? Why would rural votes in NY State mattering make the urbanites stronger?

Also, why wouldn't rural voters just vote themselves in more money and devastate the urban areas like this?

It feels like i'm talking with a brick wall here.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Panzeh posted:

So why are rural voters' self interest more important than urban voters' self interest? Why would rural votes in NY State mattering make the urbanites stronger?

Also, why wouldn't rural voters just vote themselves in more money and devastate the urban areas like this?

They're not more important, they just shouldn't be bulldozed by the mob.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

They're not more important, they just shouldn't be bulldozed by the mob.

However, their EC votes in upstate New York are currently being 'bulldozed' by the 'mob'. Why is that just? It's the same for rural california, urban Texas, urban Georgia.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

They're not more important, they just shouldn't be beholden to actual democracy

ftfy

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

The UN is designed a bit differently and has a different role from the US government. The UN is not a world government. If the US presidential elections worked like UN assembly resolutions, it would be pretty dumb, I think. The reason why the most powerful countries have veto power, for example, is because such a body would not have the most influential powers in it. It is an entirely different thing from the USG. The UN assembly is more about building consensus than about governance, which is why it does this.

Why would republican votes in NY and democratic votes in TX mattering result in mob rule? Are these populations in particular bad for the country? The EC basically heavily rewards voters in states big enough to matter(many rural states don't matter, even if they're contested, because 3 EC votes are worthless) that are really close. Why is winner-take-all in these situations the superior option? I'm not talking about one election or another- as I said before, everyone goes into these elections knowing the rules. I'm just wondering what the virtue is here. Genuinely curious.

I can point out a lot of counter examples to the notion that the EC protects interests that are otherwise vulnerable(the Senate, for example, is much more effective if you're trying to empower West Virginians and North Dakotans).

For example, in a proportional EC system, the Republican votes in California would actually matter- not every vote in that state would go to democrats. It would be the other way around in many other states. People are talking about how the country would be dominated by LA and NY, but in all honesty it would even things out a lot more. Rural people would still disproportionately have some EC votes, and the margins might be small enough that the 3 WV electors matter some day.

The EC ensures a minimum amount of influence and power a state can exert on the Executive election regardless of population and a maximum limit as well. In a system where so much is delegated to state governments who face challenges unique to them, it's a good thing to not let a state get entirely ignored in favor of more populous areas or to let one get so populous and powerful that it dictates the policies of entire regions it has nothing to do with. It also allows states experiencing problems others would rather not address (hello, rust belt) to influence the election more when their populations get riled and start defecting. This is a good thing since politicians have to pay attention to those areas instead of just shoring up more support in already friendly areas to keep them marginalized. You want an electoral process where the Executive branch has to appeal to as wide a group as possible.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Sparta was a democracy and they had a system where the underclass would be murdered during a festival for fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Panzeh posted:

However, their EC votes in upstate New York are currently being 'bulldozed' by the 'mob'. Why is that just? It's the same for rural california, urban Texas, urban Georgia.

None of those groups have their own state government pursuing an agenda or representing them. It's chopped up by state because that's how the entire government works. Splitting the country up into ideological fiefdoms isn't the answer, especially when doing so runs counter to the entire system we have in place for managing our country at the state level.

• Locked thread