Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

whaley posted:

Hahahaha "if you like plastic"

On this special edition of Cribs: Goon Lairs:

*gestures smugly toward my solid mahogany Switch dock*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love plastic

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My dock is slightly bent (there's like a 2mm gap if I stand a ruler up beside it) but my screen's fine. I'm assuming those who are scratching their screens are trickshotting their Switch into the dock or something. Even if my Switch develops scratches eventually, who cares? They're on the bezel.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

"Well if I don't see it it's not a problem!"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Norns posted:

This is how most people live their lives.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

As long as your official Nintendo accessory is only scratching your bezel who cares right?!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Well not everyone cares about these things.

Also it's not happening to everyone.

Also if it is (potentially) happening to you, you can get your defective dock replaced.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
If you scratch your bezel alone you're scratching with Hitler.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pixaal posted:

It's intended to protect the screen

Hmm

pixaal posted:

cat might use it as a scratching post

Hmmmm

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Norns posted:

"If its happening to a few people it must be happening to everyone and therefore be universally bad"

Oh man, this strawman is gonna catch fire if we're not careful.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Shouting people down when they have an issue because you don't is loving stupid.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Norns posted:

Shouting people down when they have an issue because you don't is loving stupid.

Nah it rules.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It's your own fault for bending your dock

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Norns posted:

People can get their docks replaced if they're defective. That has been said multiple times by multiple people. "They should get rid of the front of the dock" is a dumb argument that deserves to be made fun of.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Idk I think the dock is pretty loving ugly. I'm just going to order a usb c extension and hide the thing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Norns posted:

Idk I think the dock is pretty loving ugly. I'm just going to order a usb c extension and hide the thing.

Cool. Thanks for letting us know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Mahoning posted:

It's a message board you loving dick

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Mahoning posted:

why are you so defensive about literally everything

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is Nintendo CS offering screen repair on scratched units, or just the replacement dock?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

HyperPuma posted:

why are you so defensive about literally everything

+

Norns posted:

It's a message board you loving dick

People can talk about the broken docks that they have without others getting defensive. This is a message board to talk about experiences positive and negative.

Something not happening to you does not mean it doesn't happen. This is not directed at Mahoning, but rather people getting overly defensive about their new gaming system. You can love it, but accept that there have been some terrible flaws that others are experiencing if not personally you.

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 21, 2017

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

so uh, anyway..

I am now 3/4 dungeons through Zelda, and it's fantastic. When I'm done, what is the goon consensus on Shovel Knight vs Binding of Isaac? I've had both strongly reccomended to me by people whose video game opinions I trust.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Earth Table posted:

so uh, anyway..

I am now 3/4 dungeons through Zelda, and it's fantastic. When I'm done, what is the goon consensus on Shovel Knight vs Binding of Isaac? I've had both strongly reccomended to me by people whose video game opinions I trust.

Both are great but they aren't similar at all.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Small. Serviceable. Plastic. $70 w/ tax.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Mahoning posted:

Other than a few people who have gotten scratches or whatever, I don't know how people complain about the dock. I've heard how it's cheap and light and too plastic-y....what? I mean I set mine up on March 3rd and it hasn't moved a centimeter from where I set it up. I've popped the Switch in and out of it probably a hundred times already. Are people like picking the dock up and.....playing with it or something?

It seems like a perfectly functional piece of hardware. I've never even had trouble docking it, which prior to release I was almost positive that it would take a bit of wiggling back and forth to get it perfectly right, but I was wrong. It just......works.

its probably because the docks for the 3ds's and the wii u pad somehow all solved the screen scratching problem which got unsolved for the switch. they also used pins instead of a port! its a shame things stepped backwards from such heady days

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Earth Table posted:

so uh, anyway..

Shovel Knight is amazing. Especially if you've not played it on any other systems like me. You should get the big version because it has three campaigns and will eventually get another one absolutely free!

I am eagerly awaiting Binding of Isaac. It's a game I really enjoy that is best played portable. The switch version will be the definitive version for the time being as it has every expansion and a few more tweaks and bugfixes than the PC.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I know they are not similar but I am just looking for something to play before the re release of one of my favorite games of all time, Mario Kart 8. :3:

Both look really fun and ideal for the Switch's portable/console nature. Shovel Knight's aesthetics certainly appeal to me more at a glance, though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

its probably because the docks for the 3ds's and the wii u pad somehow all solved the screen scratching problem which got unsolved for the switch. they also used pins instead of a port! its a shame things stepped backwards from such heady days

the charging dock for the 3DS has nothing to do with the screen scratching problem that comes from closing it. Like, why would it? You close the clamshell and set in the charger and that's it. It doesn't even tough the screen, which is still in danger of being scuffed by the bottom one to this day.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I want an Isaac physical copy for the Zelda styled instruction book.

I've been all digital for ages. I really like the switch cases and horrible tasting cartridges though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

the charging dock for the 3DS has nothing to do with the screen scratching problem that comes from closing it. Like, why would it? You close the clamshell and set in the charger and that's it. It doesn't even tough the screen, which is still in danger of being scuffed by the top one to this day.

thats not what i meant, i meant that a 3ds or wii u style cradle for the switch would have 0 chance of ever scratching the screen, because they dont have the weird bits covering the whole device. another plus wouldve been letting the device elegantly charge while in a tabletop mode as the screen would be visible which you can do with the wii u gamepad in its dock. its strange they didnt just do that again and instead introduced an issue that never needed to exist.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Wii U gamepad's charging cradle does a very poor job of holding the thing securely. It's absolutely the last thing that they should have emulated.

As for the 3DS one, it would have left it vulnerable to things falling on top of it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I don't understand things falling on your switch? Do things commonly fall on your entertainment center?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Wii U gamepad's charging cradle does a very poor job of holding the thing securely. It's absolutely the last thing that they should have emulated.

As for the 3DS one, it would have left it vulnerable to things falling on top of it.

you can improve that without covering the screen and the entire device and being able to use the tabletop mode while charging while also eliminating the scratched screen issue 100% would be worth it. in fact theres really 0 reason not to have done that, its just a better solution from every possible angle

also the reason for the wii u being not entirely secure (never really noticed but we'll go with it) is it uses pins. if you kept the port as it works now instead of using pins that would fix the secure problem entirely

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Norns posted:

I want an Isaac physical copy for the Zelda styled instruction book.

I've been all digital for ages. I really like the switch cases and horrible tasting cartridges though.

The instruction booklet pushed me over the edge to get it physically.

I put on my glass screen protector and it looks beautiful. Not a single spec of dust either.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

you can improve that without covering the screen and the entire device and being able to use the tabletop mode while charging while also eliminating the scratched screen issue 100% would be worth it. in fact theres really 0 reason not to have done that, its just a better solution from every possible angle

also the reason for the wii u being not entirely secure (never really noticed but we'll go with it) is it uses pins. even if you kept the port as it works now instead of using pins that would fix the secure problem entirely

You can achieve the same goal as using the table top mode while charging using the AC adapter included in the package.

The only thing you lose is dual screen play on a home device, which the public pretty much told them they didn't want anyway. And honestly, playing with the console while it sits in the dock sounds pretty drat awkward.

quote:

I don't understand things falling on your switch? Do things commonly fall on your entertainment center?

It's a worthwhile thing to want to protect I think, especially when things have the potential to be knocked over on shelves all the time.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's a worthwhile thing to want to protect I think, especially when things have the potential to be knocked over on shelves all the time.

Sounds like ya'll need to stop letting bulls into your china shops

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

You can achieve the same goal as using the table top mode while charging using the AC adapter included in the package.

The only thing you lose is dual screen play on a home device, which the public pretty much told them they didn't want anyway. And honestly, playing with the console while it sits in the dock sounds pretty drat awkward.

it would be literally the kickstand mode except it can actually charge while you use it and would be more secure than the kickstand how is that not a positive lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Maybe he lives in Japan where they have an earthquake every day. Or in New York where a cabby always shouts "Whatsamatta You?" And knocks your things over.

Or in a tiny apartment where an elevated train goes by hourly to demonstrate to the home viewer that you are poor.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Is your world black and white? Do you often wonder "there has got to be a better way?"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

it would be literally the kickstand mode except it can actually charge while you use it and would be more secure than the kickstand how is that not a positive lol

Mostly in that you can't leave it in a convenient position without disconnecting it from the television.

But yeah, I love how "a production issue that's easily handled and replaced and is affecting a small amount of users" is a statement that deserves to be treated like a gamebreaking issue affecting the majority of console owners, and yet "things can get knocked onto other things on a shelf rather easily" is worthy of mockery and something that would only befall the incompetent or people living in poor or unlikely living conditions.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TFRazorsaw posted:

Do you dock your TV too? Or protect anything else around your entertainment center?

• Locked thread