Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

id be happy with something realistic and nearly complete, and also something that hasn't been started and is a colossal undertaking with unbelievably large scope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Mortimer

Written meaning "this has been designed and written and needs someone to put it in game"

I will definitely check that out, I'm a misc quest designer normally but how are you handling the faction quests? All generally by one person to keep a constant tone/character development or splitting it out?
Relayed the credit adjustment. We don't really "handle" faction quests at the moment. The quest leads are no longer around, and I guess whatever works?
One person would probably be ideal, but if it's several people, the onus would be on the second quester to get the tone right.

Stuporstar posted:

Thanks for the links. This is awesome! I have been using the UESP map as a reference, and now I'm kind of dreading checking what I've done so far against it and having to redo a bunch of stuff. I hope you guys haven't moved a lot of mountains, because I've drawn enough of them to get hand cramps for life--though I've only just started working my way down from the east, and haven't drawn in much yet from the maps not released.

Yeah, got some good news. The UESP map has been updated (landscape mostly).
The bad news is that I keep making the Gridmap by MK I Eyeball and MK II Construction Set, so I keep finding these little plantations and manors all over the goddamn place. It keeps getting updated.
After yesterday's meeting (notes are here), the planning is something like this:

id be happy with something realistic and nearly complete, and also something that hasn't been started and is a colossal undertaking with unbelievably large scope

I'll just leave this here.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Slightly relevant to TR, but what were pre-TR landscape mods like? Mainly thinking of Silgrad Tower and Wizard Islands or whatever that was. I actually had the former in my load order at one point, but when I started modding, it was too much for my computer and Morrowind ran at like 8 FPS with 5 minute load times in Balmora. By the time I got a new one, I accepted that TR would eventually get to that region and didn't bother with it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Atrayonis posted:

:stare: Is this implying what I think it's implying

Man this is gonna be such a good century for morrowind mods!!!

e. Also what's the status of Almalexia, if you don't mind me asking?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Atrayonis posted:

Oh drat.
:q::fh:

Has anyone done a land size comparison of TR to other TES games yet?

Node fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 14, 2017

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

HAT FETISH posted:

:stare: Is this implying what I think it's implying

Man this is gonna be such a good century for morrowind mods!!!

e. Also what's the status of Almalexia, if you don't mind me asking?
No, it was a joke. "Realistic and nearly complete" is pretty much the opposite of what a new Black Marsh mod would be.
The mod exists, just only as a brown landscape plugin on two individual PCs and as a "dummy" province mod to coordinate lore and Tamriel_Data assets. Maybe we'll turn that into a real thing when TR and PT are done and retirement is boring.

Almalexia is still pending redoing. .

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 14, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I know Vvardenfell by itself is less than 10 mi2, Skyrim is ~15, Oblivion is ~20, and Daggerfall is ~60 thousand.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

is Skyrim really smaller than Oblivion? Huh. That's what happens when you actually design landscape as opposed to using a generator I guess

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

is Skyrim really smaller than Oblivion? Huh. That's what happens when you actually design landscape as opposed to using a generator I guess

Yeah it didn't feel smaller at all to me too. That surprises me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To me skyrim does feel incredibly small. I actually did a walk to unlock a few waypoints around the map near the beginning last time i played. the big cities for each region, it was an amazingly brief experience. the tutorial feels longer than a walk from whiterun to anywhere else.

Another part is bullshit like being made to climb a mountain that pads out the world if you follow the main story or any of the 'big' questlines like the guilds and brotherhood.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Oblivion felt much smaller because you could see the Imperial city from about a third of the entire map. It's kind of neat from a 'oh I guess White-Gold Tower's a really handy thing I bet people actually living here would be able to navigate with,' but really terrible in an actual game you want to create the illusion of large spaces with.

Morrowind suffers from this a bit with Red Mountain when you have distant land too.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 14, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You actually can see the High Hrothgar monastery from a good portion of Skyrim, it's just that it's a very unobtrusive structure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't mind seeing Red Mountain from everywhere because the island is a volcano and Death Mountain itself is actually a hostile, sprawling and hazardous area. White Gold Tower is just a giant empty static that doesn't even have a roof and contains one small conference room with some wooden chairs, and seeing it from everywhere is just a reminder of that.

I think in a broader sense there's a difference in how it feels, between being able to see your ultimate goal/focus as a reminder and just being able to see a kind of lovely model of the main town in the game that you go back to all the time anyway. it's kind of like the new Zelda where you can see Hyrule Castle from pretty much anywhere but it's clearly a horrible place surrounded by evil fog, and you can see Death Mountain from anywhere but going near it results in you bursting into flames. Seeing them taunts you and makes you want to explore the rest of the world, prepare and get stronger

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah that's all definitely true.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So I installed Chocolate Pack, and I really just want to play with everything it recommends, but one mod has enforced entrance requirements for the guilds, which means my Dunmer battlemage is too weak in both magic and combat to join either guild, which I think is going to make it harder to advance. I'm okay with not immediately becoming an OP god king but the guilds provide a lot of early XP and a place to sleep at night. What do?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

horse mans posted:

So I installed Chocolate Pack, and I really just want to play with everything it recommends, but one mod has enforced entrance requirements for the guilds, which means my Dunmer battlemage is too weak in both magic and combat to join either guild, which I think is going to make it harder to advance. I'm okay with not immediately becoming an OP god king but the guilds provide a lot of early XP and a place to sleep at night. What do?

You'll be fine, it's rp as heck. That's what you get for being a Jack of all trades

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

You'll be fine, it's rp as heck. That's what you get for being a Jack of all trades

I'm just always bothered by mods like Skyrim Requiem which decide that the only way to get through a game is to specialize in one area. It really locks out a ton of playable options. I don't want to be the best sword master in all the land, I want to use a mix of tactics.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

horse mans posted:

I'm just always bothered by mods like Skyrim Requiem which decide that the only way to get through a game is to specialize in one area. It really locks out a ton of playable options. I don't want to be the best sword master in all the land, I want to use a mix of tactics.

the requirements aren't THAT strict, you have to ask yourself "should I be archmage and not know a lot about magic" if the answer is "sure why not" then don't install it, it's your game

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Scrawl committed distant land to openmw

:toot:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

:getin:

This is going to be so goddamn good.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:flashfap: finally.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://imgur.com/a/6yzrm
http://imgur.com/a/HqYhK

quote:

Performance is very good. I can render the whole island at 90 fps.

It dynamically adjusts the detail of the terrain based on distance, which iirc MGE does not do. I'm sure in the future there will be more knobs to adjust the LOD system. It doesn't render distant objects yet.
-from reddit
:vince:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Hmm, distant land but not distant statics yet. Still, that's one more step towards parity with modded vanilla, and better performance on top is the frosting on the cake.

OpenMW should not release until MWSE functionality, at least, is present.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

OpenMW should not release until MWSE functionality, at least, is present.

I don't think you know what 1.0 means

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't think you know what 1.0 means

1.0 means feature parity with vanilla. My point is that I'd still pick vanilla Morrowind over OpenMW until MWSE, at least, is integrated.

Unless they've changed it, of course.

Granted, it will probably take a few weeks at most to get MWSE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mwse sucks

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
MWSE is hip and cool (pretty much all of Fliggerty's old mods are worth using and they all need MWSE) and this OpenMW news is excellent news!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I thought one of the points of openMW was it you wouldn't need MWSE any more - it'd have a better implementation of the same kind of functionality.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Entropy238 posted:

I thought one of the points of openMW was it you wouldn't need MWSE any more - it'd have a better implementation of the same kind of functionality.

MWSE exists and there are tons of mods that use it, so if OpenMW wants people who use these mods to make the move from vanilla to OpenMW, they'll have to support MWSE's scripting functions.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cat Mattress posted:

MWSE exists and there are tons of mods that use it, so if OpenMW wants people who use these mods to make the move from vanilla to OpenMW, they'll have to support MWSE's scripting functions.

Both arguments are accurate.

You can probably just provide an interface for MWSE commands and under the hood handle it in a much more efficient way.

Still not as good as writing an OpenMW native solution but better than Morrowind and backwards compatible.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I wonder how hard it will be to make a new item type in OpenMW. The fact that flowers etc. weren't their own type like in Oblivion was one of the things that was holding me back from making an autoharvest mod. That and a lack of scripting knowhow.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Death Zebra posted:

I wonder how hard it will be to make a new item type in OpenMW. The fact that flowers etc. weren't their own type like in Oblivion was one of the things that was holding me back from making an autoharvest mod. That and a lack of scripting knowhow.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43140/
??

plants are a subset of container
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/blob/master/apps/openmw/mwclass/container.cpp

you can make your own class if you want but that's a lot of work, hope you know c++

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is it planned that openCS will be a much more powerful/low level tool than the original construction set? Being able to edit and add new spell effects and damage types would be sweet.

Edit: I'm thinking spears doing piercing damage, maces doing blunt damage and enemies having different kinds of resistances

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 15, 2017

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I know about Graphic Herbalism and use it. I meant something that harvests every alchemy ingredient within a certain range like the Nehrim mod, The Holy Hand Scythe of Antioch. Come to think of it, I was just attempting to port that. I was attempting to have an item with a script to activate every alchemy container within range and let Graphic Herbalism take care of the rest. I failed to activate even one container however and gave up.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Rot is currently working on integrating the Telvanni factions (Mainland/Vvardenfell). This is a bit difficult since the Mainland Telvanni are already a mess (like Dral, he shouldn't be around anymore).

WIP file is here if anyone wants to test/feed back feedback.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

almalexia: well what do we have here?
vivec: this, almalexia, is a weapon that was used to slay an official of the tribunal church not 10 minutes ago. sotha sil, a fine mer, i might add--you work fast, n'wah!
nerevarine: you know i just got off the boat
almalexia: well its a good thing we picked you up and retrieved the murder weapon
nerevarine: that's not mine!
vivec: dont bullshit me, s'wit!
almalexia: yeah, dont bullshit him, s'wit!
nerevarine: the gently caress you want from me this time?
vivec: when we want you, we'll find you. in the meantime, try not to slay anymore officials of the church.
nerevarine: y'all can't leave me here, this is ballas turf!
vivec: i thought you said you was innocent? that you don't bang?

*dumps nerevarine in ballas hood*

vivec: see you 'round like the wheel, fetcher! hahaha!
nerevarine: aw poo poo, here we go again. worst place in the world, rolling heights, balmora. i aint represented the guild in years, but the ballas won't give a poo poo.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Never thought I'd get a video game tatt, but here we are. Love how this turned out

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Nice. Come to think of it, a Morrowind tattoo is probably the only kind of tattoo I would want to get. I was never nerdy enough to learn Daedric though, what does it say?

Edit: Has there been a 'shop of Edward Norton with the swastika replaced by an Oblivion rune? There should be.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 21, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

smokyprogg posted:

Never thought I'd get a video game tatt, but here we are. Love how this turned out

"Duty Gravity Piety"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I was never nerdy enough to learn Daedric though, what does it say?

Sky Shadowing posted:

"Duty Gravity Piety"

This guy knows what's up/is nerdy enough