Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Intruder posted:

Ray Allen: roleplayer

His best role playing was as Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

one of thems an mvp from a championship contender the other is a roleplayer from a good eastern conference team

one of them is in his prime the other was 37 when he joined the heat

also one of them went to a 73 win team the other...didnt

lotta huge, glaring, obvious differences

Nevermind the fact that KG and Pierce were traded literally the next offseason. That team was on the decline, everyone on the planet knew it.

How many games does Ray Allen swing on that 12-13 celtics team. 3? They go 44-38 and still lose in the first round?

Intruder posted:

I mean, he was the 4th option and came off the bench. That's pretty decidedly a role player.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

Nevermind the fact that KG and Pierce were traded literally the next offseason. That team was on the decline, everyone on the planet knew it.

Except for one man...

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who are the Sonics? is that a d-league team?

one of my favorite memories of 2012 finals

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

Brolander posted:

To me, that's preposterous. Almond butter, things of that nature

Just want to say I am still laughing about this a day later.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
They're still never getting the Sonics back and that makes me smile every time :)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

There's really not many better examples of a roleplayer than Ray Allen was on that team. What are you getting at?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

They're still never getting the Sonics back and that makes me smile every time :)

you are incapable of feeling anything resembling joy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is this cool dude named Bradley Beal, you might have heard of him

I have but I don't see any evidence he's better than Wall. He hits a very good percentage of the shots Wall creates for him I guess, and is less completely reliant on Wall than everyone else on the team. He's noticeably worse at everything but shooting though, especially defense where he's downright bad.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Space Camp fuckup posted:

you are incapable of feeling anything resembling joy

He is extremely joyous about swipe right night

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Intruder posted:

7th highest usage rate on the celtics his last year, his usage rate actually went up on the heat and i think you would be hard pressed to claim he wasnt a roleplayer on the heat, where he got more shots than he did on the celtics. So yeah, he was a roleplayer

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

RCarr posted:

There's really not many better examples of a roleplayer than Ray Allen was on that team. What are you getting at?

I suppose by that age

Ring chasing is so much more palatable when it's a guy in his late 30s doing it I guess

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I've been searching high and low for that clip of Stern showing up to the press conference for letting everyone know Seattle wasn't getting the Kings and said "I'll make this quick, I've got a playoff game in OKC to get to"

I've only heard about it and never seen it so maybe it was something someone just made up

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

idk if ringchasing even covers it, durant was already on a team you would join to ringchase, he left to chase them slightly better, mostly by destroying the team he was just on

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is it possible he didn't want to be in Oklahoma anymore.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Intruder posted:

Ring chasing is so much more palatable when it's a guy in his late 30s doing it I guess

I mean, yeah. If you know you only have 1 or 2 more good years left and decide to take a reduced role to get a ring, that is fine. When your in your prime and you leave a contending team because you don't think you can beat them, you'll probably get accused of some cowardice.

I mean, I mostly don't care, free agency is free agency, do what you want. But you should also understand that there might be a reaction.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Nah he's a bitch

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

The people of OK should petition neo-Andrew Jackson to Trail of Tears his rear end back there.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also Ray Allen already helped Boston get a ring

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

euphronius posted:

remove the basketball from it entirely.

I'm Kevin Durant, superstar. I had one season in a major American city when I was 19, then I spent ages 20-27 living in Oklahoma City while traveling all over and seeing what my peers get to enjoy all the time.

I can sign up for years more of that.

OR

I can move to San Francisco with all the other millenials and have first access to fund 30 of the next potential unicorn startups with just one of my game checks.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Also I was trying to find out what that 'that's preposterous' quote was from and all I could find was this https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/212767135901024256?lang=en

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ketchup vs catsup posted:

remove the basketball from it entirely.

I'm Kevin Durant, superstar. I had one season in a major American city when I was 19, then I spent ages 20-27 living in Oklahoma City while traveling all over and seeing what my peers get to enjoy all the time.

I can sign up for years more of that.

OR

I can move to San Francisco with all the other millenials and have first access to fund 30 of the next potential unicorn startups with just one of my game checks.

agreed, thats why we will have yet another lakers/knicks finals this year

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

agreed, thats why we will have yet another lakers/knicks finals this year

Yes but when you add the basketball back into it you get A) the lakers organization and B) the knicks organization.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Yes but when you add the basketball back into it you get A) the lakers organization and B) the knicks organization.

its almost like that part is the only part that matters

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah, the fact that San Francisco is a better city to be rich in probably has little to do with his decision. It probably helped, but ultimately he went there because they had a better basketball club.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, the fact that San Francisco is a better city to be rich in probably has little to do with his decision. It probably helped, but ultimately he went there because they had a better basketball club.

Right, I mean we had people fighting there way to Cleveland. City market doesn't mean a lot when you can spend your off-time wherever in the world you want to spend it. I'm not saying it has no weight in a decision, but it's pretty far down the list.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Also I was trying to find out what that 'that's preposterous' quote was from and all I could find was this https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/212767135901024256?lang=en

Yeah, that is the quote. It's one of the best all time tweets.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Stephen A. introduced me to the word "bloviate."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that is the quote. It's one of the best all time tweets.

Oh OK I thought it was referencing a thing he actually said

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Oh OK I thought it was referencing a thing he actually said

I mean, you have to listen to SAS on purpose to know, but the tone is so pitch perfect it may as well be a direct quote.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcJPJ7KpPqo

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jerry Krause died, which means MJ will be pissing on his grave in about two weeks

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

xbilkis posted:

Jerry Krause died, which means MJ will be pissing on his grave in about two weeks

wait what seriously.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-jerry-krause-obit-spt-0322-20170321-story.html

Yup, looks real

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Shirley Temple-flavored Jolly Ranchers.

yes please.

I think the team I actually hated the most as a kid was the Jordan Bulls. I remember playing a pickup game at recess where me and two kids were the "Lakers" vs like 14 kids who picked the bulls because that's how we decided to split it

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Basketball Reference's MVP tracker (which just tries to predict likelihood based on priors) puts Wall at 10th. It doesn't automatically discount the players on the Warriors, though, which is happening in almost every conversation about the award.

I don't really object to that, but it is funny. If everyone forgot Golden State's record last year and Kevin Durant's home last year he'd absolutely be in that top group of players.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Chairchucker posted:

it's the best tweet of all time and i laugh at it all the time. fun

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dexo posted:

wait what seriously.

Family member confirmed to the ChiTribune according to Woj.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Stagger_Lee posted:

Basketball Reference's MVP tracker (which just tries to predict likelihood based on priors) puts Wall at 10th. It doesn't automatically discount the players on the Warriors, though, which is happening in almost every conversation about the award.

I don't really object to that, but it is funny. If everyone forgot Golden State's record last year and Kevin Durant's home last year he'd absolutely be in that top group of players.

I don't think a guy who only plays 59/82 games would win the MVP, especially if those games were missed at the end. If Durant didn't get hurt he'd for sure be in the conversation, even with the GSW headwind.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Yeah, that's right. Somehow forgot he was done for the regular season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's still baffling to me that the NBA moved a franchise from Seattle to Oklahoma City and that it made no sense for any reason other than nepotism and corruption in oil billionaires (and that one guy who obviously killed himself rather than face indictment).

Like I don't even have a problem with Oklahoma City, I've been there a few times since I moved to the South, and I like it, but there's really no justification for moving a franchise from Seattle (one of the top cities in the United States) to there. It was like some kind of confluence of the NBA wanting to punish Seattle for the arena issues and finding a bunch of rich assholes who were willing to be the villains to steal the team? I don't know.

Other than their poo poo logo and colors, the Thunder have been a great addition to the NBA over the last few years, but it still feels weird to have a city like Seattle not having a team (and I think KC and their super cool arena should get one too).

• Locked thread