Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Aerdan posted:

...No, Aspyr just hosed up.

I have the same problem in the Windows version. No idea how to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Are we going to get replacements for the "We are protected" game? If not we probably should just restart it, 7 turns isn't all that long.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aerdan posted:

...No, Aspyr just hosed up.

I didn't know Australia was known as the Lucky Country.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

FlyTB20C posted:

That was obviously a very strong caravel. Excellent work.

This game is so wacky, but I am still enjoying starting a new game and playing until I get bored, over and over.

Whenever I read history books I often picture events as if they happened in a game of Civ. This comment reminded me of a chapter from this book about the Ottoman siege of Constantinople where four Genoese carracks were making a run for the city to relieve the defenders.

The defending Ottoman fleet consisted of about a hundred galleys of various sizes, and after surrounding the four carracks (immobilizing them after the wind died) and bombarding them for hours they were still unable to board them. The galleys were very low in the water and the carracks had tall sides, and the Genoese were superior in pretty much every aspect of naval warfare. It was a classic case of Caravel beating Galley writ large.

Eventually the wind picked up again and the carracks made it into the city. It’s a great book and so much of the narrative of the siege fits neatly into a Civ context (the logistics of manufacturing and transporting bombards to attack the city walls was another memorable one).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magil Zeal posted:

I didn't know Australia was known as the Lucky Country.

It has to be ironic, like Greenland.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

And they will offer you their entire treasury for peace in 20 turns.

But if you keep declining their offer, they might stop offering it to you after a while and then you have to navigate the fairly counterintuitive diplomacy screen to negotiate it for yourself :v:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Me: "How much for open borders?"
AI: "Ivory, wine and 256 gold."
Me: "How about 1 gold per turn?"
AI: "Deal."

This has been mostly my experience.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dragongem posted:

Are we going to get replacements for the "We are protected" game? If not we probably should just restart it, 7 turns isn't all that long.

I'm not actually sure we can swap someone back in if they just drop out. So, I'm happy to restart the game. That cool with everyone else?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fine with me. (I hosed up a district placement anyway)

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I'm ok with it, also. I'll take my turns in a few minutes. I hope we can rolling these games again, since I was having great fun planning all my cities. :unsmith:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
OK, that's a quorum; all you need to do is quit the game and I'll start another one this afternoon or tomorrow morning sometime.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Yeah it's Persia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIhkrcFIVow

UA:Satrapies Free trade route when Political Philosophy is unlocked and a bonus to internal trade routes
UU: Immortal A ranged attack and higher combat defense than the normal swordsman
UI: Pairidaeza Gives Gold, Culture, and Appeal with bonuses for adjacent districts and city centers. Yields increase with tech and civic tree progression

Cyrus's UA :Fall of Babylon After declaring a surprise war all Persian units get bonus movement and takes less of a diplomatic penalty for declaring surprise war.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
For like what one turn?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

SHISHKABOB posted:

For like what one turn?

It doesn't say

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Maybe you get to blitz until you reach Paris.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
More trade routes and internal trade route bonuses sound pretty strong to me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fhqwhgads posted:

A ranged swordsman sounds absolutely insane!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

SirKibbles posted:

UI: Pairidaeza Gives Gold, Culture, and Appeal with bonuses for adjacent districts and city centers. Yields increase with tech and civic tree progression

They have to buff the Chateau now, right?

Right??

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well at least its not yet another white European colony.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Well, it's only one route, and trade routes aren't the monsters they used to be (they're basically a wildcard worker you can move around in terms of yields it feels). I'm more interested in...

Taear posted:

A ranged swordsman sounds absolutely insane!

Yeah, this. Holy poo poo, this. You're gonna get your immortals and then eat your nearest 1-2 neighbors and win on sheer size as Cyrus.

The Human Crouton posted:

They have to buff the Chateau now, right?

Right??

They don't HAVE to...they should though.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Looks like they're continuing the trend of making each new civ more ludicrously strong than the last.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I'm sure the answer is no, but:

Does anyone have any inklings/expectations of these DLCs being included in a full expansion in the future? I haven't DL'ed any of them yet, but am tempted to get Cyrus.

5 bux each isn't much at all, but we're soon up to 20 bux for them all, and after I already paid full price for the game...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Civilization V was released September 21, 2010.
The first thing that collected DLC was the Game of the Year Edition released September 27, 2010; it had all the Cradle of Civilization map packs, Babylon, Spain, Inca, Polynesia, and the digital soundtrack, but was missing the Explorer's Map Pack, Wonders of the Ancient World, Denmark, and Korea.
The second thing that collected DLC was the Gold Edition released February 12, 2013; it had all the DLC up to Korea (the last at the time) and the Gods & Kings expansion.
The last thing that collected DLC was the Complete Edition released February 4, 2014; it had all the DLC including the Scrambled Continents/Nations packs and both expansions. It is also in bundle form on Steam, which will fill in gaps at reduced cost.

The only specific DLC to be included in an expansion was Spain in Gods & Kings, and that was part of a Double pack with the Inca. Ethiopia from Gods & Kings was also included in Brave New World.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I don't think I should be able to demand every single lux and strategic resource along with all gold and most of the GPT of every single civ. But it is drat hillarious to constantly see rebels pop up as the cities revolt under them all.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Tanners posted:

Looks like they're continuing the trend of making each new civ more ludicrously strong than the last.

Power creep sells, always has.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tanners posted:

I don't know if Persia tops Australia but it certainly seems stronger than many base game Civs. On the other hand the ranged swordsmen will probably make it super good in competitive multiplayer.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope this is included in the Deluxe Edition extras. I've been waiting for Persia since release.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
No need to worry.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogama posted:

No need to worry.

Oh, neat. Also, huh, if Macedonia is the other civ in that like that data people found suggests, then both civs they add in that are going to be led by people with the title "the Great" (since Macedonia's obviously going to be led by Alexander). Fun.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Civ should add Eurovision as a cultural wonder like the Olympic games for 5. Please do procedural generated videos of Eurovision craziness

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Goodpancakes posted:

Civ should add Eurovision as a cultural wonder like the Olympic games for 5. Please do procedural generated videos of Eurovision craziness

world project: eurovision
- reward based on placement in resources contributed
- can be re-issued every time the world congress convenes
1st place: cultural output reduced by 100%. tourism output doubled for countries with internet.
2nd place: cultural output reduced by 80%. tourism output increased by 50% for countries with internet.
3rd place: cultural output reduced by 50%. tourism output increased by 20% for countries with internet.
contributed 0 hammers: if you have researched the internet, you generate negative culture until the next eurovision

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least that's an argument to finally bring in a proper Finland civ.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The White Dragon posted:

world project: eurovision
- reward based on placement in resources contributed
- can be re-issued every time the world congress convenes
1st place: cultural output reduced by 100%. tourism output doubled for countries with internet.
2nd place: cultural output reduced by 80%. tourism output increased by 50% for countries with internet.
3rd place: cultural output reduced by 50%. tourism output increased by 20% for countries with internet.
contributed 0 hammers: if you have researched the internet, you generate negative culture until the next eurovision

Woohoo negative culture! :911:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
We knew it was coming, but that sure was fast!
Macedon is the other Civ of the Double Pack, led by Alexander the Great.

Civ Ability: Hellenistic Fusion- When they conquer a city, they get bonuses based on the districts present.
Civ Unique Unit: Hypaspist- Replaces Swordsmen. Get a combat bonus attacking Districts and extra support bonuses.
Civ Unique Building: Basilikoi Paides. Yields science when non-civilian units are built in the city, and gives bonuses to training certain military units.
Leader Unique Ability: To the World's End- Macedon incurs less war weariness.
Leader Unique Unit: Hetairoi- Replaces Horseman. Gets a free promotion.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 22, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A very war-oriented Civ, that's for sure. The descriptions are way too vague to guess at just how powerful he'll be, but Macedon led by Alexander seems to be the most conquest-focused Civ in the game yet.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 22, 2017

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

alex looking slick AF

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Hogama posted:

No need to worry.

I look forward to the PYDT games breaking for another 3 weeks. :smith:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogama posted:

We knew it was coming, but that sure was fast!
Macedon is the other Civ of the Double Pack, led by Alexander the Great.

Civ Ability: Hellenistic Fusion- When they conquer a city, they get bonuses based on the districts present.
Civ Unique Unit: Hypaspist- Replaces Swordsmen. Get a combat bonus attacking Districts and extra support bonuses.
Civ Unique Building: Basilikoi Paides. Yields science when non-civilian units are built in the city, and gives bonuses to training certain military units.
Leader Unique Ability: To the World's End- Macedon incurs less war weariness.
Leader Unique Unit: Hetairoi- Replaces Horseman. Gets a free promotion.

Well hey, looks like I was right. Also wow, they seem pretty powerful. I'm wondering how they'll compare to the other war civs; Persia seems like they might win out early on due to the Immortals, but less war weariness is going to be good forever.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Is the PBEM dead again?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We only need Bizantium to have Three Greeces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker