Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

When a radio station has a soundclip like "This is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull," yet that station hasn't played a single Jethro Tull song in nearly 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

YeahTubaMike posted:

People who ask you for your opinion, and then don't let you have one.

They're only asking you so they can tell you their super-cool very interesting opinions anyway.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yo rear end is grass posted:

When a radio station has a soundclip like "This is Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull," yet that station hasn't played a single Jethro Tull song in nearly 20 years.

What kind of station with that clip doesn't have Aqualung in regular rotation?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Henchman of Santa posted:

What kind of station with that clip doesn't have Aqualung in regular rotation?

Not every station is building up Blue Magic.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who get so caught up in canon they can't just enjoy their show. Oh! That's not accurate, it should be X! You can't just change a character's Y like that! In the extended universe novels, Z did A, but here they have Z doing B and some other letter is doing A now! Aaaah! AAAAUGHHH!!

I feel extra irritated by one person I work with who basically acts like a canon gatekeeper, albeit coming off as a bridge troll asking questions three. One unfortunate co-worker watched Star Wars for the first time in her life, and decided this would be an excellent conversation to have with The Gatekeeper. It took over a week for me to stop hearing his critical harangue in the background, as he expounded upon every tired Star Wars grognardism, from why the prequels were trash to why Disney ignoring the trillion extant novels was literally destroying the franchise. She looked like she wanted to bolt every time, but had nowhere to go. He'd stop at her workstation to harass her for having the temerity to like Jar-Jar Binks. Meanwhile, she and I were having some nice "oh yeah, this and that were cool :)" sorts of chats.

Recently, she started watching Star Trek. I was just like, hey, maybe give Jay Sherman a miss and just chat with me about it. Full agreement.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Pastry of the Year posted:

You're not making the most of this. You could come up behind people and say EXCUSE ME! YOU KNOW WHY I STOPPED YOU TODAY?

and they'd be like NO

and you'd say CHECK OUT MY BOOTS

and they'd be like UM, AM I IN TROUBLE OR SOMETHING

and you'd be all THAT DEPENDS, DO YOU LIKE MY BOOTS?

You could take it from there. Most authority figures coast on their shoes, so, at the very least you get to learn someone's birthday.

I picture it like...
Bean Shadow: PULLOVER!
some dude: No, it's a cardigan, but thanks for noticing!
some other dude: Yeah! Killer boots, man!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I heart bacon posted:

I picture it like...
Bean Shadow: PULLOVER!
some dude: No, it's a cardigan, but thanks for noticing!
some other dude: Yeah! Killer boots, man!

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
My peeves for the day:

I got assigned a new task at work yesterday, which is basically easy grunt-work: filling in a spreadsheet with values from several other spreadsheets. Fine. But when I met with the boss lady about it yesterday, she spent about 5 minutes describing the task, and about 20 minutes hunting down the various spreadsheets in the most disorganized folders ever.

"Oh I think its this one you have to use.....oh no. Not that one. Maybe this one? Oh no, that's not it either. Hmmmm. Maybe this one? Oh...there is a later version of this one here. Oh, and this one....or is it that one?"

Man. She ended up getting frustrated and just shared the whole file system with me, and now I've already spent like 45 minutes trying to hunt down the correct files again! Is a little bit of organization too much to ask for?

Another peeve: public spitting. Ew. Just no. Why do people do this? I just don't get it. I don't think I've ever had so much spit in my mouth that I just had to hork a giant loogie at the bus stop. This isn't exactly chewing tobacco country (thank christ, I couldn't handle it)

Finally: I take the bus to work, and there are about 5 separate bus lines I can take, because they all go to the big bus depot which is like the next stop after my stop. However, all five of these busses arrive within two minutes or so of each other, so if I miss one, I basically end up missing them all. I don't understand why they need so many busses driving on the same route in a big cluster instead of just spacing them out 5 minutes or so. The first bus in the pack is always slammed, and then the next few are totally empty. loving stupid.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
When I'm listening to the radio and it cuts the song off early. And not like final couple notes in the closing guitar solo early, but 'the singer is still going' early.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Streaming video that lags and you get stuck in a situation where the video keeps (slowly) streaming but no audio at all comes through. Either transmit both or wait for it to buffer, advancing the video without sound is the worst thing you can do and nobody could possibly want that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Customers, or people doing business on the phone, that don't get that some letters sound alike over the phone, and that I've never met them before, and I don't know how their name is spelled - both resulting in them getting super angry.

I had to look up Ruby Johnson a while back. After letting he know I couldn't find one that matched her birthday or address a few times, I asked if she spelled it any certain way, and after an annoy sigh, she say, "R-U-B-B-E-E!" How do you get through daily life without instantly spelling that every time?

More recently, I was entering the address for a customer who lives on what I eventually learned is "Dodd" street. But it went kind of like this:

Customer: "The street address is 123 [?]o[?][?] Street"
- I don't know if this is Dog street, or Bog street, or Dobb street or what.
Me: "I'm sorry, D's and B's sound a lot alike over the phone, are those D's as in Delta or B's as in Bravo?"
C: "...... It's [?]o[?][?] Street. '[?]o[?][?]' "
Me: "Still, I apologize, are you saying D as in David/Dog/Domino? B as in Baby/Barbecue? G as in Golf/Grandpa? Would you mind going letter by letter with me?"
C: ".........[?]o[?][?]!! [?]!!! [?]!!!"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I once had someone start spelling their name over the phone with "M as in empire". :ughh: I mean, thankfully, they weren't difficult to hear, but still.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Once on the phone I got flustered and said "P as in Pseudonym"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always like the Dara O'Brian bit about the phonetic alphabet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XfIFjCwUBI

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Captain Lavender posted:

Customers, or people doing business on the phone, that don't get that some letters sound alike over the phone, and that I've never met them before, and I don't know how their name is spelled - both resulting in them getting super angry.

I had to look up Ruby Johnson a while back. After letting he know I couldn't find one that matched her birthday or address a few times, I asked if she spelled it any certain way, and after an annoy sigh, she say, "R-U-B-B-E-E!" How do you get through daily life without instantly spelling that every time?

More recently, I was entering the address for a customer who lives on what I eventually learned is "Dodd" street. But it went kind of like this:

Customer: "The street address is 123 [?]o[?][?] Street"
- I don't know if this is Dog street, or Bog street, or Dobb street or what.
Me: "I'm sorry, D's and B's sound a lot alike over the phone, are those D's as in Delta or B's as in Bravo?"
C: "...... It's [?]o[?][?] Street. '[?]o[?][?]' "
Me: "Still, I apologize, are you saying D as in David/Dog/Domino? B as in Baby/Barbecue? G as in Golf/Grandpa? Would you mind going letter by letter with me?"
C: ".........[?]o[?][?]!! [?]!!! [?]!!!"

Ugh this just gave me terrible anxiety flashbacks to when I used to work at a pharmacy. Imagine this, not only with names, but also drug names (which people usually only know about 1/3 of the time anyways).

Or:

"I want a refill of my small white pill!"

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I'm convinced there's a big joke at my expense where everyone on TV fake-struggles with saying "Worcestershire sauce" to see if I'll notice. Well, here you go you bastards. Stop it.

Also TV: an ad promises to help with your "aching, swollen joint pain". It's either "aching, swollen joints" or "joint pain" but not both - pain is an abstract concept and in itself cannot ache or swell!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I always like the Dara O'Brian bit about the phonetic alphabet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XfIFjCwUBI

Spelling alphabet :eng101:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Intoluene posted:

Spelling alphabet :eng101:

Look, if we don't know what's in it, how can you expect us to know what it's called?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Googling it, most sources seem to agree it's called the NATO Phonetic Alphabet :colbert:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It bugs me when someone acts like they're the in-group of a group they're tangentially related to at best.

Like if someone asks about a mysterious aspect of a mental illness, and someone with an undergraduate degree in psychology will say, "Well, we don't quite know yet, but research is [etc]". Same deal re: astronomers, climate scientists.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

On the other side: people who don't believe you when you are one of those things. I get a lot of patronizing "yeah ok" reactions when I say what I do. I think people expect astronomers to all be old eccentric types and they can't imagine why anyone young would choose to do that for a living.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Why do you do it? Genuine question, I think being a professional astronomer is cool as gently caress.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
Agreed, and I bet a lot of dumb people don't know the difference between an astronomer and an astrologer

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

genetic_knockout posted:

Agreed, and I bet a lot of dumb people don't know the difference between an astronomer and an astrologer

Speaking of pet peeves... :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Why do you do it? Genuine question, I think being a professional astronomer is cool as gently caress.

It's a question I ask myself all the time. I guess getting poorly paid for working very long hours seemed appealing to me in college.

And yes, I get asked to comment on peoples' horoscope all the time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
No love discovering the untold truths of faraway stars? :eng99: But I guess you do some kind of boring data analysis, just a guess! The stars, they are out there regardless.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There is that aspect but it tends to get buried under the stress of constantly publishing papers while simultaneously sending out research proposals begging somebody to pay me next year.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If someone does get it mixed up with astrology and asks for a reading, just throw all morals out the window, charge them first then make poo poo up :haw:.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Writer Cath posted:

When I'm listening to the radio and it cuts the song off early. And not like final couple notes in the closing guitar solo early, but 'the singer is still going' early.

That was especially irritating when making a mix tape off of the radio as a kid and the DJ would break in early during a song I waited all day to record.

Thank God for MP3s. Kids today are so lucky. I would have loved to have access to thousands of songs on one device as a kid.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I played some kind of "beings from beyond the stars" wizard in D&D once and the DM asked if he was more of an astronomer or an astrologer, and I was like "... it's a fantasy game, even if you assume it's exactly like the historical middle ages, is there a relevant difference?"

That's my pet peeve by the way: people who get way too much into "historical accuracy" when it comes to fantasy games.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I don't know if my ear holes are just super tiny, or what, but I can't seem to get earbuds to stay in. If they're not randomly jerked out by getting caught on something, they just slowly slide out over the course of my workout or whatnot.

I even ordered extra-small earbuds and they still won't stay in!...maybe my ear holes are too large?!

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I don't know if my ear holes are just super tiny, or what, but I can't seem to get earbuds to stay in. If they're not randomly jerked out by getting caught on something, they just slowly slide out over the course of my workout or whatnot.

I even ordered extra-small earbuds and they still won't stay in!...maybe my ear holes are too large?!

I have the same problem. Apple earbuds stay in but tend to hurt. It's difficult to find the old earbuds, the ones that were flat and round and didn't have rubber. So I've been using headphones.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

They always provide at least a few different sizes of cup things but none of them fit right. They either fall out or hurt after a short amount of time. I used to have a pair of sony ones that fit perfectly but I broke those years ago and haven't been able to find a good pair since.

Over the ear headphones are better in many ways (especially if you need something with a microphone too), but good luck wearing those in public without looking silly. I guess beats or whatever are more fashionable but I still think people walking around on the street with those look out of place.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I'm fine with looking silly, but I get so sweaty during my workouts that they'd probably slide off my head. I guess the alternative is to go without music, which I already do when I'm running outdoors, but the radio they play at the gym is just awful. If I have to hear "Closer" and that song about single moms again, I might lose my mind.

Edit: and now I went and got the single mom song stuck in my head and that's my most current pet peeve now.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Do they still sell those "athletic" earbuds that wrap around your ear? I use an old pair when I go running and they stay in place just fine.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

BioEnchanted posted:

If someone does get it mixed up with astrology and asks for a reading, just throw all morals out the window, charge them first then make poo poo up :haw:.

So just like any other astrologer, then?

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I still think people walking around on the street with those look out of place.

Pet peeve: people looking at me when I'm walking and I never know if it's the headphones or my face has exploded or I'm just real weird looking :mad: it makes me self conscious!!!! How have you not learned how to subtly look at someone so they don't notice, in your whole life, adult person? Nobody really looks when I wear them running tho.

Ear buds give me ear infections which would also make me peevish if it wasn't outweighed by the excellent fact nobody ever talks to you with headphones on

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Peeve: getting screwed on game prices because I live in Australia, no loving way am I paying $90 for mass effect Andromeda. The upside I guess is by the time it's cheaper it will have probably received a number of bug fixes.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

teenytinymouse posted:

nobody ever talks to you with headphones on

This is true. They'll ramble on and on when earbuds are in, but don't bother if they see headphones. Why are earbuds that much harder to understand? It's not difficult to see that someone is using them.

How to talk to someone with headphones / earbuds on: Don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bean_shadow posted:

This is true. They'll ramble on and on when earbuds are in, but don't bother if they see headphones. Why are earbuds that much harder to understand? It's not difficult to see that someone is using them.

How to talk to someone with headphones / earbuds on: Don't.
"Hey there what are you reading??"

AAAAH go away