Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

Bomb future crash sites to prevent illicit salvage.

That's what the military does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

quote:

An FAA study concluded that from May 1973 to April 1996 unapproved parts contributed to 174 aircraft accidents and minor incidents, causing 39 injuries and 17 fatalities. None of the involved accidents and incidents in the study involved major commercial airlines. Some critics, including William Cohen, a member of the U.S. Senate from Maine, argued that the FAA may have understated the role of unapproved parts of some accidents because the agency did not want to take the responsibility of regulating the aircraft parts industry. James Frisbee, who retired in 1992 as the quality control head of Northwest Airlines, argued that unapproved parts may have been a factor in more accidents than the numbers stated on U.S. federal accident and incident records.[5]

I like the fact the guy who was head of quality control was named Frisbee, after the finest of flying machines.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I mean, have you ever seen a Frisbee make a bad landing? Those things ate indestructible.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The guy that more or less invented the Frisbee was a USAAF P-47 pilot and eventual POW. Thanks for sending me down that wiki-hole.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

The guy that more or less invented the Frisbee was a USAAF P-47 pilot and eventual POW. Thanks for sending me down that wiki-hole.

The guy who invented the much-superior Aerobie also invented the finest coffee preparation device known to mankind, the Aeropress.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

I mean, have you ever seen a Frisbee make a bad landing? Those things ate indestructible.

Not quite so indestructible to a commercial lawn mower if it lands right in its path, but I digress.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The guy who invented the much-superior Aerobie also invented the finest coffee preparation device known to mankind, the Aeropress.

Wow, holy poo poo. That guy is like a reverse Thomas Midgley.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

But how does he compare to Lonnie Johnson?

Resume:
1978–85: Worked for USAF and NASA engineering nuclear systems for long-range probe spacecraft
1985-present: Invented the Super Soaker and made 73 million dollars

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Resume:
1978–85: Worked for USAF and NASA engineering nuclear systems for long-range probe spacecraft

That guy loving rules.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Sagebrush posted:

Resume:

Let's not forget he applied those principles to foam projectiles and invented the Nerf Gun as well.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PainterofCrap posted:

Let's not forget he applied those principles to foam projectiles and invented the Nerf Gun as well.

Midjack posted:

That guy loving rules.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Our local fisheries protection agency is threatening to spend £2.4 million on a new patrol boat and so for a laugh I suggested to a client that they get a Combat Caravan to add to the EXs they're getting for their taxi/charter ops, contracting it out for fisheries/borders/law enforcement duties... they're adding a new page to their new brochure now.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Coffee nerd buddy :reject::respek::reject:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

They found the rotor.

It landed pretty close to some houses.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That story sure propelled to the top.

Props guys!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

That story sure propelled to the top.

Props guys!

I’m not a fan of these puns.

They’re just not proper.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I thrust this community to achieve lift on these topics, and not downforce them to negativity. You may want to vary your pitch accordingly, Platystemon.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Please stop making posts with the word prop in them

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Elsa posted:

Screw you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elsa posted:

This thread would be shafted.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Elsa posted:

Sounds like we struck a chord.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Elsa posted:

Such a harsh angle of attack

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Alright that's enough puns for now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Adiabatic posted:

Can we rhyme like our brains have the runs, you cow?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Adiabatic posted:

Is there a minimum separation you're looking for between puns

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
http://www.essexlive.news/nikki-willis-and-thomas-putt/story-30219492-detail/story.html

A combination of making dangerous modifications, cold still weather and the engine running while the car was stationary all contributed to the deaths of two young people in Chelmsford.

Nikki Willis, 23, of Fox Crescent, Chelmsford, and Thomas Putt, 20, of Wren Close, Leigh-on-Sea, were found inside a Ford Fiesta that had been altered by Thomas himself.
Later tests found the car was emitting levels of carbon monoxide that were 1,000 times that of a factory-standard vehicle when it was left idling with the pair inside on Monday December 5.

An inquest held today, March 21, heard how Tom, an apprentice with Ford, had made several modifications to his car, including adding vents to the bonnet and removing the catalytic converter to improve the car's performance. A car enthusiast, Tom would carry out these repairs and well as modifications to his car, which caused carbon monoxide to leak into the vehicle.

Intake vents that were meant to allow fresh air into the car were found to have pumped the poisonous fumes into the car.

DI Kirby, who ran the investigation said it was a warning that making modifications, irrespective of how experienced you think you are can have unintended consequences. He said: "It is fair to say there were a series of events that came together and that led to the tragic incident taking place. A combination of modification, cold still weather and the engine running while the car was stationary all contributed to what happened that night During our enquiries we carried out tests to the car and found that modifications had been made.

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you're exposed to high levels. Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 50 deaths. After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin. When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body's cells and tissue to fail and die.

Previous work to modify the car had ultimately led to exhaust fumes leaking under the bonnet.

These fume escaped through the vents which had been cut into the bonnet and which were drawn back into car via the heating system.

"So even if you think you know what you are doing there can be unintended consequences."

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Why do you have a gas warner? Coming from EMS I have thought about buying one a few times, bu the price + recurring 3 year cost is just too much.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SEKCobra posted:

Why do you have a gas warner? Coming from EMS I have thought about buying one a few times, bu the price + recurring 3 year cost is just too much.

Me? I don't, that's the article.

But my parents who have gas central heating spent literally $20 on one from Amazon and that is their house protected. I'd suggest that anyone who uses any flame bigger than a candle in in their house without one of these is a bit silly.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

spog posted:

But my parents who have gas central heating spent literally $20 on one from Amazon and that is their house protected. I'd suggest that anyone who uses any flame bigger than a candle in in their house without one of these is a bit silly.

Yeah, I don't know how I missed that.

Well a portable gas warner is a lot more expensive than a CO warner to stick somewhere.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

CO alarms are required by law here. The local Fire Department hands out cheapo plugin Kiddie ones for free.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:barf:

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

wonder where all those pistons ended up

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

Souvenirs for the spectators, it's kind of like a t-shirt cannon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shhh, they're in a better place now.

the concession stand.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

That's what you get for rolling coal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

That's what you get for rolling coal.

If only.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Low Earth Orbit

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least it fixed the stupid visor.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Another mechanical failure: I bought some cheap Chinese struts for my wife's Matrix. I know now how dumb that was. The bolt holes for the main lower mounts are about 1/8" too small. How do you gently caress that up!?

Anyways, I decided to toss them in the garbage and ordered some full kits. I'm done with swapping springs, and cheaping out really burned me this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Get yourself an electric impact and a friend to compress the spring enough by hand to get the top nut threaded. Cuts a lot of time off.