Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

Lesnick is in a weird monkey's paw deal where he has to keep consuming Wing Commander content in order to save his vision and general health. Under this scenario, his behavior makes sense.

Imagine if you will. A man who finds that he is miraculously cured of blindness by the terrible writing of a bad game franchise.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as Quake 2 and as expensive as Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It is the middle ground between scam and dream, between design document and promise, and it lies between the pit of a conman's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Citizen Zone.

Spoiler Alert The twist ending is that constant exposure to the healing power of wing commander has caused his cells to reproduce so much he is 700lbs of tumor and the morale is he shouldn't have been devoted to his cure and instead should have lived life being cured.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

But does that require constant attention and staring at a screen? I mean, I've digitized VHS into DVD before and short of making sure tracking was ok, I pretty much just set it and walked away until done.

I'm not defending him or attacking you. I'm just saying that whatever other gripes you or others may have with him or other CIG people, saying that he's utilizing backer money to sit in front of a TV for 200 hours might be a little too cantankerous.

I'm trying to think what he could be doing at CIG and since he's not bullshitting people anymore maybe he's helping with the refunds or prepare the next sale.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

While I'm waiting for Linkedin to get its poo poo together and actually email me my confirm code (after the whole website was having tunneling failure), I'm watching a little Youtube on Nier: Automata. Looks cool as poo poo, but the open world sandbox looks empty. They made the cardinal mistake; you have to make your sandbox world feel like it organically exists on its own. This philosophy makes the environment fun to gently caress around in, even if you aren't engaged in game goals. So far, it looks like Nier's world only exists to explicitly serve the game.

So many open world games make this mistake, and it's one thing GTA has always gotten right. Two disappointments (both old as gently caress now) that immediately come to mind are "True Crime: LA", and "The Getaway". Both games had very decent mechanics, but the world was just completely dead. This is also why Saint's Row bored the poo poo out of me. In GTA, they make a world environment that lives and breathes on its own, then fit the game into it. That's why it's fun to just run around and gently caress with poo poo in every GTA game, for hours and days, and often boring in most other open world games. One of the directors/producers stated in an interview that they explicitly make their game worlds self-living like this.

It's just another thing CIG is certainly going to get wrong, but, to be fair, almost everyone else gets this wrong too.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

I have access to the information just as well as you do.

Another Derek alt account confirmed

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

XK posted:

While I'm waiting for Linkedin to get its poo poo together and actually email me my confirm code (after the whole website was having tunneling failure), I'm watching a little Youtube on Nier: Automata. Looks cool as poo poo, but the open world sandbox looks empty. They made the cardinal mistake; you have to make your sandbox world feel like it organically exists on its own. This philosophy makes the environment fun to gently caress around in, even if you aren't engaged in game goals. So far, it looks like Nier's world only exists to explicitly serve the game.

So many open world games make this mistake, and it's one thing GTA has always gotten right. Two disappointments (both old as gently caress now) that immediately come to mind are "True Crime: LA", and "The Getaway". Both games had very decent mechanics, but the world was just completely dead. This is also why Saint's Row bored the poo poo out of me. In GTA, they make a world environment that lives and breathes on its own, then fit the game into it. That's why it's fun to just run around and gently caress with poo poo in every GTA game, for hours and days, and often boring in most other open world games. One of the directors/producers stated in an interview that they explicitly make their game worlds self-living like this.

It's just another thing CIG is certainly going to get wrong, but, to be fair, almost everyone else gets this wrong too.

A lot of MMOs fall into this trap too. This is one thing that WoW got right, the world feels alive. Contrast with SWToR or even GW2, the world look pretty but you get the feelimg that the mobs are just there so that heroes can kill them. Tatooine was the worst zone for this, a big desert with packs of mobs just standing there.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Warhawk109 posted:

I would like to know just how much Croberts pays himself and his wife. That is probably too much transparency though. Best to just leave backers in the dark about that.

If you don't think sandi is getting paid more than crobs, lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

It's the reason I hate most open world games, it's all "SIXTEEN TIMES BIGGER THAN THE LAST ONE" and the loving map size only makes more apparent the number of times they had to go "gently caress gently caress we have another square kilometer of wasteland to fill, let's copy all the sidequests from the last one and divide the storyline between them"

It's like with dicks, size might matter but unless it's filled up with content you're gonna have to suck my oval office instead of eh someone finish this analogy for me.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

someone finish this analogy for me.

videogames bad

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Gravity_Storm posted:

A lot of MMOs fall into this trap too. This is one thing that WoW got right, the world feels alive. Contrast with SWToR or even GW2, the world look pretty but you get the feelimg that the mobs are just there so that heroes can kill them. Tatooine was the worst zone for this, a big desert with packs of mobs just standing there.

Kind of? I find it odd that you can find pockets of evil creatures stranded in the middle of otherwise settled areas. Sort of like programmed monster closets, but bigger and with no walls. With the evil just chilling in there, just waiting for good guys to show up.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
so me:a is okay but goddamn the humans look like morrow tour levels of poo poo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

Obviously they are archering Robert's creative vision.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheAgent posted:

How is this possible? EA did loads of really expensive mocap and that's literally all you need to have good animations, right?

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Lladre posted:

Wait. ME:A released? Since when?

Apparently today, but at the rate it's downloading from PSN it is going to be a contest as to whether or not it downloads first or Star Citizen gets released...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It's the reason I hate most open world games, it's all "SIXTEEN TIMES BIGGER THAN THE LAST ONE" and the loving map size only makes more apparent the number of times they had to go "gently caress gently caress we have another square kilometer of wasteland to fill, let's copy all the sidequests from the last one and divide the storyline between them"

It's like with dicks, size might matter but unless it's filled up with content you're gonna have to suck my oval office instead of eh someone finish this analogy for me.

When you make an open world sandbox game, the thing that makes it feel good is when the player always has the choice between playing the game story, or playing the world. I can't count how many locations I've come across in GTA games where I wondered why that area was there. No story line poo poo ever happened there, and there was nothing important, but I could punch a dude, start a fight, have cops show up, steal a bike, ride into the ocean, grab a yacht, 30 minutes later I'm hunting in the woods or dive bombing a 747 at a military base.

It's not an easy thing to pull off, though. You have to explicitly make it part of the design process. GTA4 was probably the worst of the GTA series at it. There were too many completely dead areas where it was completely obvious they never came up with anything to throw into them. The highways on the north end of the map, and all the northwest neighborhoods, and the east, and pretty much all over. The living locations were scattershot, and most of them involved high speed driving to have fun. I think that's the reason why GTA4 often is called the weakest entry in the series. There just weren't enough opportunities to play the world.

I remember spending hours in the second to top floor of a parking garage in GTA3, sniping cops with a rocket launcher, then trying to escape. I think I spent more time doing that than playing the storyline.

Still no Linkedin mail. Irritated.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

So you're lying then. Figures.

Aside from the fact that I've never ever claimed to have access to any information of the sort.

You never quit lying, and that's what makes you - you. I'm glad of it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A reminder, please go vote for my dumb dog over here and consider toxxing to donate to some really rad animal charities over here

I've been renovating a house all week and I can't help but think about Star Citizen when I find a really janky terrible fix someone put in place ten years ago. It's a problem.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Not often a post on the official forums makes me really lol but this one got me.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 21, 2017

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

A reminder, please go vote for my dumb dog over here and consider toxxing to donate to some really rad animal charities over here

I've been renovating a house all week and I can't help but think about Star Citizen when I find a really janky terrible fix someone put in place ten years ago. It's a problem.

Currently in 3rd, not far from 2nd. 1st looks like a hard get. Get voting people.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not often a post on the official makes me really lol but this one got me.

Star Citizen: Too much money has been invested for it to be a con

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not often a post on the official forums makes me really lol but this one got me.

This is a weird evolution.

"Star Citizen can not fail, It can only be failed"

Has now turned into

"Star Citizen can not fail, it can only be failed, and even if people fail it it won't fail because it can just find other people who won't fail it or think it's a failure because it was failed. So it won't fail."

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

How is this possible? EA did loads of really expensive mocap and that's literally all you need to have good animations, right?
ben lesnick as the krogan vanguard
chris roberts as the handwavey, fast talking salarian
sandi gardiner as the turian soldier
disco lando as the lame human with beard

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Welcome to my world.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Star Citizen: Too much money has been invested for it to be a con

I also like how the 'verse will collapse faster than expected if funding slows. Like some sort of Madoff/Hawking money space theory poo poo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

Currently in 3rd, not far from 2nd. 1st looks like a hard get. Get voting people.

Yeah I think Loukanikos has up and run off with it, but Kai's holding his own at least, which is cool.

DapperDon posted:

Welcome to my world.

Sucks man. It'll be done soon, next weekend hopefully, and then maybe I can relax and get caught up on space games nonsense. Could be worse I guess - at least I'm not Grover

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah I think Loukanikos has up and run off with it, but Kai's holding his own at least, which is cool.

Sucks man. It'll be done soon, next weekend hopefully, and then maybe I can relax and get caught up on space games nonsense. Could be worse I guess - at least I'm not Grover

It's bullshit that they are using dog's that they don't even own or exist like that cartoon one. Something fuckey going on there.

I have about 10 more years to go before I can retire from fixing other peoples fuckups. So I try to get my spaceman boogey on whenever I can.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

bunnyscrum is best scrum

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D_Smart posted:

So you're lying then. Figures.

Aside from the fact that I've never ever claimed to have access to any information of the sort.
He's not lying, he's just being a retarded pedant over the fact that anybody earning a large amount of money invariably launders it so their on-the-book salary is as low as possible.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ortwin is paid $5 a year salary

He is heavily invested in shares of space ship jpegs , which according to latest polls can only go up up up !!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

He's not lying, he's just being a retarded pedant over the fact that anybody earning a large amount of money invariably launders it so their on-the-book salary is as low as possible.

:lesnick: gets paid in ships, moma just hasn't factored in the four times increase, enabling :lesnick: to make major bucks post release.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hate to break it to the deluded guy, but the vocal minorities in the mess that is SC are the following:

1. Those waiting for it to fail.

and...

2. Those who think it will succeed.

Both groups are minorities in the grand scheme of numbers involved with SC.The 'insane over-optimists' always claimed that there was only one minority (us), and it's good and funny everytime they spout it as it shows just how poo poo they are are judging very simple things at a glance.

I wonder what the mostly silent actual majority would think of all this. (ever wonder why most people who get refunds are previously unheard of? Most of them seem to come from the silent majority)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 21, 2017

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

ManofManyAliases posted:

But does that require constant attention and staring at a screen? I mean, I've digitized VHS into DVD before and short of making sure tracking was ok, I pretty much just set it and walked away until done.

Ben said he was "tired" after digitizing the tapes. So I imagine it was a lot more involved than "set it and forget it."

Edit: paying the taxxe

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ComfyPants posted:

Ben said he was "tired" after digitizing the tapes. So I imagine it was a lot more involved than "set it and forget it."

Good Bengal Catte. :)

They are awesome cattes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pack it up derekailures, SQ42 and the AI is almost done.

And I have more proof than MoMA, look!

Iron-Cast!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/60kiwz/spreadsheet_of_original_funding_goals/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ComfyPants posted:

Ben gets tired waving

So are these tapes part of the junk pile he bought with crowd funded money , or is this a totally separate pile of junk?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

trucutru posted:

Iron-Cast!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/60kiwz/spreadsheet_of_original_funding_goals/

I thought the music stuff was done, or is Chris still forcing that one dude to redo everything over and over again?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

trucutru posted:

Iron-Cast!

Not listed

Anything related to gameplay

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

trucutru posted:

Iron-Cast!

"100 star systems- started"

Well, I guess 0.1% progress is a "start"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
3.0 status update.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/844333927145791489

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

trucutru posted:

Iron-Cast!

"Advanced AI activities" such as being a doctor or vandal, are "near complete" when they were just figuring out how to make people sit down at a table.