Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Ginette Reno posted:

He's like as gimmick as early career Ovechkin for me. He does the same thing every time and you know it's coming but you just can't stop him because his speed is so insane. If he works on his shot like Sid did and becomes a better goalscorer the sky is the limit.

If only this new young dude was more like Sidney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Ties weren't bad and the NHL is really never going to fix "no one scores anymore" huh
They could try!

Ties were good though.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

yellowcar posted:

no truck nuts

6/10

You should at least give him a 7 for a the sugar skull.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ties are for soccer.

We must deal in absolutes. :colbert:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
all losses are equal, but some losses are more equal than others

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I will never understand how anyone could be satisfied with ties as an outcome of a competitive sporting event

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The overtime loser point matters more on the level of each game, letting teams go all-out rather than trying to defend. Part of why 3v3 is so great is the situation it always comes in.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the only time I'm annoyed by ties in sports is on last second buzzer beater type goals, unless it's my team that's scoring, then its great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If ties or the shootout is an unforgivable sin, just do what they do in the playoffs. OT lasts until someone scores and no points are handed out until then.

Don't like long games? Score better, scrub. :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ginette Reno posted:

He's like as gimmick as early career Ovechkin for me. He does the same thing every time and you know it's coming but you just can't stop him because his speed is so insane. If he works on his shot like Sid did and becomes a better goalscorer the sky is the limit.

tbh since he relies so much on his speed I'm worried that a significant injury or just aging a bit down the road is going to really hurt his ability and production, BUT that's also just me being contrary

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

tbh since he relies so much on his speed I'm worried that a significant injury or just aging a bit down the road is going to really hurt his ability and production, BUT that's also just me being contrary

agreed, which is largely why he will never, ever, not in a million years, no sir, be as good as crosby. also sid is way more handsome

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
P.s. Have we mentioned Crosby?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I will never understand how anyone could be satisfied with ties as an outcome of a competitive sporting event

Because it is more fairly reflective of the teams' relative ability than the same game with a coinflip at the end to assign an extra point.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Crosby's the best player in the league so I don't see why people shouldn't be compared to him

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

His hands are pretty ridiculous too. He'll be fine. Plus even if he lost a step he'd just be blindingly fast instead of holy gently caress fast.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ginette Reno posted:

His hands are pretty ridiculous too. He'll be fine. Plus even if he lost a step he'd just be blindingly fast instead of holy gently caress fast.

yah the difference between "best player in the league" and "star player" though

on the other hand oh well it's not like I have any stake in it because the Rangers will never have a "best player in the league" on their team ever

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

Crosby's the best player in the league so I don't see why people shouldn't be compared to him

The Penguins are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think Crosby himself lost a good bit of speed when he got hurt in his 3rd season.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think Crosby himself lost a good bit of speed when he got hurt in his 3rd season.

I don't think he lost it so much as he realized if he kept skating balls to the wall like that all the time he'd end up injured more often than not (which is true.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzELjc9mtA

(Runs through wall.)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Crosby is the smartest player in the league and top notch at basically every other skill even if isn't the fastest he's still plenty fast

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

If he's so good why can't he beat Kane in points?!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because Crosby asks permission first and Kane takes what he wants.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Because it is more fairly reflective of the teams' relative ability than the same game with a coinflip at the end to assign an extra point.

Yeah I'm not arguing in favor of an extra point. I just find the idea of a sporting event ending in a tie to be dissatisfying, and orthogonal to the whole purpose of sports, which is to separate winners & losers, not to measure teams' relative abilities as accurately as possible (it is not, after all, the Corsi Hockey League).

I agree though that the shootout is almost, if not as dissatisfying as a tie. 3v3 feels like the perfect compromise in terms of being able to quickly determine a winner while still relying on something resembling normal hockey gameplay. I have a feeling if they extended 3v3 to 10 minutes and if that went unresolved the game would end in a tie with no points awarded, we would see very few if any ties and we would see a lot of fun and exciting overtimes.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Aurora posted:

If he's so good why can't he beat Kane in points?!

i got some bad news for you

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

e: not an emptyquote

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/844340452052619266

owns

AAB fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 22, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do Crosby's forearms look like Popeye's?

Because I think they'd need to be to get that much velocity with a move like that.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Yeah I'm not arguing in favor of an extra point. I just find the idea of a sporting event ending in a tie to be dissatisfying, and orthogonal to the whole purpose of sports, which is to separate winners & losers, not to measure teams' relative abilities as accurately as possible (it is not, after all, the Corsi Hockey League).

I agree though that the shootout is almost, if not as dissatisfying as a tie. 3v3 feels like the perfect compromise in terms of being able to quickly determine a winner while still relying on something resembling normal hockey gameplay. I have a feeling if they extended 3v3 to 10 minutes and if that went unresolved the game would end in a tie with no points awarded, we would see very few if any ties and we would see a lot of fun and exciting overtimes.

Why should you separate winners and losers when both teams are losers and tie?

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I never really see that many players help control/defend the puck with their free arm like Crosby, I guess it's harder than it looks?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carver posted:

I never really see that many players help control/defend the puck with their free arm like Crosby, I guess it's harder than it looks?

Well imagine digging a hole with a shovel in one hand. You can do it, but your agility and strength is going to suck.

Crosby's good enough to make it work anyways.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sharing from the other thread - Sid caught a stick in the chompers.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
How happy would Washington be If Boston fell out of the playoffs and the Lightning sneak into the 2nd wildcard? I hear they really like to play the Lightning, almost as much as the Rangers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

xzzy posted:

Well imagine digging a hole with a shovel in one hand. You can do it, but your agility and strength is going to suck.

Crosby's good enough to make it work anyways.

you gotta use your feet. i understand this metaphor

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Carver posted:

Buff does it a lot, especially on wraparounds. but he's huge so its a little different.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Reporter asks Ovechkin in the locker room about Oshie's 30th goal this season. He smiles and says, "Chaching!"

Your updated Metro standings:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 22, 2017

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Lightning lose three in a row to bestow a sense of self-confidence to the rest of the wildcard candidates.

And then we got em right where we want em

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

at least you aren't playing the yotes or the canucks if you make the playoffs

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
N: Wings gonna gently caress themselves out of a good draft spot.
V: Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
This is when we win the draft lottery, right?

• Locked thread