Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Saros posted:

make sure to set a high tolerance for casualties.

That really should be the only available setting in a WW1 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Corps Command

Good news: we crossed the river and made it into Bois de Blob without casualties. Bad news, it's almost certain the enemy knows we're there due to that engineering company we tangled with. However, this presents us with an opportunity: They'll have to dedicate forces to repel our incursion into the south, meaning we can flip the board on them with a northern advance. I've discussed the plan with the division commanders, and they've made posts to that effect, but I'm codifying the orders here now.

In short, we are going to have both divisions cooperate on an assault on Foret de Effyaders. Specific brigade movements will follow in the division commanders' orders, and I'll give them room to breathe by not specifying too much, but a rough idea follows:

Sniper, your autonomous artillery will enter in northern CC on turn 53 and move to roughly that pink dot. From there you'll be able to fire on the areas of FdE marked in red, and I want some pre-planned fire missions hitting the forest in advance of our assault. Steinrokkan, I'd like your engineers to start building defences on our side of the southern bridge, to prevent the enemy from getting any funny ideas about it. One of the infantry brigades will arrive on turn 53 as well, also in northern CC; the teal arrow designates their advance, Aphid will have further orders for that brigade. 2nd Bavarian Brigade, once reinforced, will take the path designated by the purple arrow. 4bde will go south and, most likely, into BdB to assist 3bde (white arrow). Forces in BdB will then, ideally, advance on FdE, hopefully while avoiding enemy (white and gold arrows). Personally, I would like 3bde, once FdE is secure, to take the northern road and continue to advance west, but this will depend on the evolving situation. Aphid has two brigades deploying immediately, as well; I'd like one advancing on the north to help the assault there (red arrow, tentative) while the other advances in the south; this brigade will NOT go to the fighting in the north, or to Stethoscope, but to and across the southern bridge. After crossing, they will advance westwards, hugging the very southernmost edge of the map as closely as they can, to slip past BEF defences while they are focussed on our northern assault. It will take them a while to reach the bridge and the situation might have changed by the time they get there, so they should keep in mind their orders might change. An idea of their path is marked by the grey arrow. Ideally, we create a situation where every time the BEF commits their forces in one direction, a new threat appears in the other.

I understand this map is kind of a clusterfuck of arrows, it's to illustrate the general thrust of the plan, which your division commanders will elaborate on.

Trin, the green X is where I'd like our scout plane to go at the start of this phase.

Also, we have that third division appearing at nightfall, guys. We need to recruit, get on it.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

nice. not that I'm drawing orders yet, chain of command and all that, but just to keep the conversation going, I should expect some erections of some sort on 2bde's path across the central ford to fde, right? anything to be done aside from letting the troops take their time getting through it?

I believe we've been told that indirect arty has a chance of destroying erections, but given our limited firepower and shells I doubt it's a good use of those resources. I imagine that's for later in the war

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

"oystertoadfish" posted:

I believe we've been told that indirect arty has a chance of destroying erections

Disagree.

But I agree, I'm not keen to try to clear wire with my guns. On my way home now, will draft up some barrage plans.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'll take a look at the rules again after work, I probably misremembered. anyway we agree it's academic for now

also don't forget that those engineers in the blob shot first. I'm glad we didn't have to suffer the indignity of losing a cavalry company to them before they were neutralized

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 21, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So, first, there are no engineers attached to the incoming division? None at all?

Second, I assume that since we are on the move everywhere, there's no need for engineering projects right now.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Flesnolk/Saros, have you done the math on what turn the attack should kick off at? Fathis / teal bde should be in position around turn 56ish?

Stein, do you have your guys set to remove that wire on the western side of the southern bridge?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

steinrokkan posted:

So, first, there are no engineers attached to the incoming division? None at all?

Second, I assume that since we are on the move everywhere, there's no need for engineering projects right now.

Wire somewhere that it can cost the other side a turn or two might still be useful. Give the fighting corps a chance to concentrate firepower without being as concerned about their flanks.

Or fall-back trenches. This is WWI.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

More engineers will arrive with the second division.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

LLsix, Cokerpilot, Ikasuhito, are you guys keen for brigades in the third division? (Or indeed, to command the division?)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

steinrokkan posted:

Tear up the wire on the southern bridge?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Possibly some roadblocks where armored cars might appear as well.

Thought: Perhaps the engineers could spend time to 'turn around' the enemy wiring so that friendlies can pass through it. The real life equivalent would be guys mapping it, changing the lanes through it to suit the friendlies and confound the enemies. The advantage being that minimal or no wiring supplies are used since the majority is already there. Obviously this is something Trin would have to approve.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2017

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

LLsix, Cokerpilot, Ikasuhito, are you guys keen for brigades in the third division? (Or indeed, to command the division?)

Isn't Cokerpilot a brigadier in this coming division?

Also, belay the scout plane order. Put it over the northern fords instead.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Short version is yes kickoff time is 1200 to allow go/no-go if poo poo goes pearshaped.

Cavalry Bde orders:

2 Bde:

Remain in Tallis Douche until your reinforcements arrive. At 1200 you are ordered to assault over central Ford D into the Foret de Effayers regardless of reinforcement status. After its SE section is cleared of enemy troops you are to proceed along to its western edge and establish a defensive perimeter.

3 Bde:

Hold position until 11:30 making sure to stay in defensive stance unless you spot enemies to charge, if Trin will allow you swap your southern MG and the BC chit without losing defensive stance do so. At 11:30
move to the northern edge of BdB and at 1200 charge the expected positions in Effayers Forest. After the fighting there is done move west to occupy western positions on Effay Forest.

4 Bde:

Move south and cross our sneaky bridge before moving up to occupy the vacant trenches. At 1130 move north with 3bde to the northern edge of BdB then at 1200 charge the expected positions there. After the fighting there is done move west to occupy western positions on Effay Forest.

I expect all brigades to set a high casualty tolerance and give orders to avoid barbed wire where it is known to be.

ENGINEERS:
(I am now directly controling the cavalry engineers.)

Have one engineer stay at the south bridge and place wire blocking it as shown, then dig trenches northwards back 1'' from the river on the east bank as shown.

The other takes a cautious route north to (in yellow) Tallis Douche with orders to follow behind 2bde when they charge and clear any erections/wire blocking the central ford before taking up a position concealed in the Effy forest (Red arrow).

Artillery requests
A barrage starting asap targeting the SE corner of Effy forest and less targeting the bit where the northern road meets Effy forest (probably pickets there?)

My cav should reach the forest during movement of the 1230-1300 turn so fire must cease before 1230.

Saros fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 23, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

1. Enter the Area in the Chemin Creux in battle formation and follow it until the crossroads.

2. Leave the Chemin Creux and occupy Ferme Inutile. Remain in the farm at all times at this stage.

Wait until 1200 if you reach the farm after 1200, immediately proceed with step 3.

3. At 1200 (turn 57) change to Attack Stance, cross ford C and move into the Foret d'Effyaders.

4. If no resistance is encountered, advance to the western edge and assume defensive stance.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Turn and move directly towards enemy
When attacking the enemy,use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Attempt to maintain Battle Formation :

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 21, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Isn't Cokerpilot a brigadier in this coming division?

Also, belay the scout plane order. Put it over the northern fords instead.

OK, I hadn't heard. In that case he's the 88th (Slightly pinkish) brigade.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Fathis don't deploy in marching formation you lose more time shaking out of it than you gain distance wise, it's faster to just be in combat order the whole way.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I figured I had enough time anyways since I'm waiting til 1200 but ok I'll change that.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

OK, I hadn't heard. In that case he's the 88th (Slightly pinkish) brigade.

Isn't that raffytaffy? I'm going by the google doc.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders, Saxon Infantry Division :siren:

Division HQ is to set up in Stethoscope.

89bde (Fathis Munk)
89bde has been designated as the brigade to enter the map via Chemin Creux. Upon arrival, they are to move towards the western border of Ferme Inutile and halt there if they arrive before 12:00. At 12:00, or upon arrival, if they arrive after 12:00, they are to attack towards the SE corner of Foret de Effyaders via crossing C.

86bde (Added Space)
86bde is the first brigade to enter from the eastern map edge. It is to use the northern road. It is to advance west into Ferme Inutile and cross the river via crossing B to assault Foret de Effyaders.

87bde (Capfalcon)
87 bde is the second brigade to enter from the eastern map edge. It is to use the southern road. It is to advance west towards the southern bridge, crossing it and continuing west hugging the southern map edge. Upon sighting enemy it is to wheel towards them and switch to defend. Otherwise it is to halt on the Southeastern corner of Saucisson facing west and switch to defend.

88bde (Raffytaffy)
88 bde is the third brigade to enter from the eastern map edge. It is to use the southern road. It is to advance west towards the southern bridge, crossing it and continuing west hugging the southern map edge. Upon sighting enemy it is to wheel towards them and switch to defend. Otherwise it is to halt on the Southeastern corner of Saucisson facing north and switch to defend.

Divisional Library

Click the link below for a post with orders that Trin liked a lot, so if you get stuck you can use that as a rough guide on what needs to be in there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post469398076

Click the link below for a compilation by Jaguars! of important rules posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38#post470531365

Click the link below for a pic of the command-approved infantry fighting formation:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809300&pagenumber=38#post470554394

We have noticed that we have a significant firepower advantage over the enemy so we encourage all SaxonD brigadiers to set standing orders to engage with rifle fire rather than charging.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 21, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Raffytaffy was the guy who accidentally spoilered himself by looking at the enemy thread. (He's actually unbanned as of last turn) But I haven't seen him post in this thread at all, so I'd rather have someone who I know is active there and he can have a brigade from the third echelon if he's still lurking.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

He's been hanging in the chat so he's active and if he's legal we should be set. I have no opinion but we gotta clear this up asap before we end up with a bde just chilling with ä Schälchn Heeßn Saxon: a bowl of hot (stuff) - a cup of coffee due to lack of orders.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Fine by me, as long as someone posts some orders at some point.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Alternate suggestion for engineers:

Trin has confirmed that forces in the marked position will be able to spot into the Valley while maintaining the advantages of forest cover. A trenchline there would give us a commanding view of approaching forces from that direction, to be sure, while maintaining our own cover.

Also would be great to have 3rd Brigade move up.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

You also require someone to look after and order your artillery; this could be someone who's already in the game doubling up, or someone without an existing command.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Arty is sniper4625

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Correct. Trin, I believe at some point you expressed a preference for turn numbers over times?

I know it's easier to plan in times, so brigadiers, in future if you have important timings, include the turn number as well as the time. 1200 will be turn 57, I believe.

Aphid - don't forget your division commander.

Brigadiers in the woods, make sure that your movements after you gain the woods aren't on top of one another.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Move the brigade south out of Stethoscope down to the bridge crossing over the river, cross over the river and advance up to the trenches before Bois de Blob and occupy them. Stay in battle order the whole time.

At 1130 move north to the northern edge of Blois de Blob.

At 1200 charge the expected BEF position in Foret de Effayders.

If the fight is successful move west and take up positions on the western edge of Effayders taking up positions as shown in the below image.

Standing Orders

When sighting an enemy in attack stance, turn to face and launch Cavalry Charge

When attacking the enemy,use rifle fire followed by close combat

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy

Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Navigate around any spotted wire or other obstacles.

Battle Formation

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 22, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
For reference, this is what 12 50px squares looks like on the map.

(I'm using the full size map, please correct me if wrong Trin)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 21, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

RAFFY TAFFY, brigadier RAFFY TAFFY, if you want to play this round please post. You are currently tapped as commander of 88bde and would have to put in orders asap. To be on the safe side, is someone here willing to take over the command in case raffy taffy has not posted by the time I get off work tomorrow?

Jaguars! posted:

Aphid - don't forget your division commander.

Yiiikes. Thanks.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
I am sorry have some one else step in if they are ready.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

RaffyTaffy posted:

Ok thanks!

First interested person to read this just edit your name in the google doc and start banging out your bde orders

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 21, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

RaffyTaffy posted:

Are you good to play in one of the brigades in the third echelon? They're the ones that will arrive at 2000 game time, so you'd be playing from early next week, probably.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

For reference, this is what 12 50px squares looks like on the map.

(I'm using the full size map, please correct me if wrong Trin)

Pretty please drop a couple of those on the northern road intersection with the forest.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sniper4625 posted:

Alternate suggestion for engineers:

Trin has confirmed that forces in the marked position will be able to spot into the Valley while maintaining the advantages of forest cover. A trenchline there would give us a commanding view of approaching forces from that direction, to be sure, while maintaining our own cover.

Also would be great to have 3rd Brigade move up.

It's also the direction from which British reinforcements are liable to come and shoot any loitering units in the area.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

did trin say something about if indirect fire fell within 2" of a friend and a enemy he'd roll dice to decide who if anybody got hit? does that imply that indirect fire has a splash damage effect outside its 50px target box? still haven't looked up the rules.

does anybody think dismounted infantry would be more effective than mounted at attacking forests? I'm guessing not. how about for defense? I argued that it would be better to dismount last orders phase, and kev i think argued that it wouldn't, but the enemy didn't put that too the test last night - what do people with more experience think? I'll write up the orders later tonight

pretty awesome that we shouldn't need an extension on the deadline, the relatively high and seemingly sufficient amount of activity itt gladdens my cold German piscine heart

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

More likely that it's a dice roll to see which, if any, units near the targets get hit. I suspect it will miss a lot.

Infantry don't have mounts! If you're talking Cavalry, dismounting to defend is fine as long as there is some time to allow them to dismount.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 21, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

did trin say something about if indirect fire fell within 2" of a friend and a enemy he'd roll dice to decide who if anybody got hit? does that imply that indirect fire has a splash damage effect outside its 50px target box? still haven't looked up the rules.

does anybody think dismounted infantry would be more effective than mounted at attacking forests? I'm guessing not. how about for defense? I argued that it would be better to dismount last orders phase, and kev i think argued that it wouldn't, but the enemy didn't put that too the test last night - what do people with more experience think? I'll write up the orders later tonight

pretty awesome that we shouldn't need an extension on the deadline, the relatively high and seemingly sufficient amount of activity itt gladdens my cold German piscine heart

I'll have to check for more details later but one big change with dismounting is that you would move at the speed of a footman which is 8" while staying mounted means we move 12". Longer you have to travel the more time the enemy gets to shoot at you.

I think infantry also fire before cavalry but I will have to check that.

Edit: Yes infantry fire before cavalry but seeing as how stationary units fire before moving units as the attacker it won't matter to us anyway.

The only other benefit would be out in the open if you dismounted you would be harder to spot but in cover like we were it won't have any real effect.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 21, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

did trin say something about if indirect fire fell within 2" of a friend and a enemy he'd roll dice to decide who if anybody got hit?

Yes; this is the price for me not paying attention to whether the LOS of your artillery battery which is trying to lay down overhead fire from 40" away is blocked to its target or not.

quote:

does that imply that indirect fire has a splash damage effect outside its 50px target box?

No, although it's a reasonable inference; if there are no friendlies within 2", the fire automatically lands on the target box. It's a bit gamey, but it achieves the object while being simple to adjudicate. (The target box is approximately 100 yards by 100 yards, which was the range to which indirect fire was generally expected to be accurate: the possibility of it missing the target box and landing on nothing is modelled by the attack roll.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

All brigade commanders participating in the effy forest attack

Please be aware that we are flying the spotter plane over the assault zone to try spot any entrenchments or wire. Please give orders that instruct your need to go around any spotted wire if at all possible.

• Locked thread