Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, I could definitely stick the textures on my SSD. Thanks for the info.

Also, it looks like the maps are actually larger than the base texture in your example of the power armor frame... for some reason?

Sooo, I'm guessing that it probably is possible to just ditch them all, grab the texture, and have higher resolution textures that are about 1/4 the size or smaller than the DLC's size with very little drop in quality. Gonna have to give that a shot today, assuming I can get the DLC downloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Midnight Voyager posted:

The more "better feral" mods I see, the more I like the vanilla. It's like they're growing on me just by comparison.

I like their animations fine. Ideally, I'd want feral ghouls shaped more like the normal ones but animating like ferals.

Yeah, this basically sums up my feelings about the base games Ghouls.

I'd love a proper Ghoul overhaul mod that not only fixes the constistancy between the younger common ferals and pre-feral ghouls models, but it'd be nice if we got more variety in appearince too. Set up there is a good example of what I meant.

They should keep the really old locked away Ghouls and the Irridiated versions, they work. I just don't buy the common ferals being Ghouls of the last century gone bad.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I took a break from FO4 to give Skyrim SE a whirl and I've come back to a problem very few other people seem to be having. I can't change the colour of anything in the character creator or choose styles of nose/eyes/facial hair etc. I can change hairstyles and scuplt things, but my options are pretty limited. Excessive Googling turned up a few solutions like getting rid of Texture Optimisation Project, uninstalling/reinstalling and verifying the game cache, installing LooksMenu, and visiting the facial reconstruction doctor. But nothing has worked so far. Here's my ridiculous load order, which has been run through several iterations of LOOT:

GameMode=Fallout4

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
DLC_MainMenu.esm=1
Snap'n Build.esm=1
SimSettlements.esm=1
SettlementKeywords.esm=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
CROSS_CosmeticFramework.esm=1
More Armor Slots - All Dlc.esp=1
Layerable Apparel.esp=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
CigaretteInMouth.esp=1
CommonwealthSurvivalist.esp=1
DX Courser X-92 Power Suit.esp=1
CROSS_Gear.esp=1
CROSS_Jetpack.esp=1
Dark Drifter.esp=1
Eli_ArmourCollection.esp=1
Faction Battlecoats.esp=1
KelloggArm.esp=1
Minuteman_CB.esp=1
NanoArmor.esp=1
NanoArmor_AWKCR_AE.esp=1
Rangergearnew.esp=1
wkz_plunketts_duster.esp=1
ShadowedSynthArmor.esp=1
StealthSuit.esp=1
Evermarch - Casual Wanderer.esp=1
The Rebel.esp=1
WastelandFashion.esp=1
Wasteland Sniper by Hothtrooper44.esp=1
EasyLockpicking.esp=1
CROSS_Uni_Scarf.esp=1
Invisiblyhunter.esp=1
EFF.esp=1
Companion Infinite Ammo.esp=1
Armor_Mods_Expanded_v1b2.esp=1
FSC- Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
Craftable Armor Size - Fix Material Requirements.esp=1
Rebuilt_SeriesPrewarHouses.esp=1
WorkshopRearranged.esp=1
RichMerchants.esp=1
Art Gallery.esp=1
Pack3 - Poster - BetterBeds.esp=1
BetterGenerators.esp=1
DD_I_Ran_Out_Of_Funny_Names.esp=1
ArcadeMachine.esp=1
PerkChartPoster.esp=1
DD_Columnsandstuff_1_0.esp=1
Crafting Workbench.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Automatron DLC.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp=1
Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp=1
dinoshelf.esp=1
dinoshelf_extra_ammo.esp=1
dinoshelf_half.esp=1
dinoshelf_retex-dark.esp=1
dinoshelf_retex.esp=1
DogBed.esp=1
Femsheppings Minimalist Homewares.esp=1
WeaponDisplays.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-Collectibles.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-AID-Weightless.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-Patch-DLC03.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-Patch-DLC01.esp=1
Fusebox Generator.esp=1
Friffy_Fixed Rugs.esp=1
MYLadyKillerBed.esp=1
Evan_Modular Kitchen.esp=1
DD_bobblehead_stands.esp=1
Northland Diggers.esp=1
OCDispenser.esp=1
Power Conduits and Pylons - Increased Radius.esp=1
PoweredDoorsVanilla.esp=1
BetterJunkFences.esp=1
DD_All_the_COncrete.esp=1
TurretBallCN.esp=1
Unpowered Spotlight.esp=1
Siles - Vault Poster - All.esp=1
Wall Oil Lamps.esp=1
Water Sources Expanded.esp=1
Workshop_Planters.esp=1
XnjguyFilledMods_AIO.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-LITE-Audio.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-Performance-Fog.esp=1
WET Clearer.esp=1
EasyHacking.esp=1
Locksmith.esp=1
LongerPowerLines3x.esp=1
Cannabis Commonwealth.esp=1
CHKJunk.esp=1
FunctionalDisplays-MISC-Weightless.esp=1
Minutemenoverhaul.esp=1
EndorsCustomCombatArmor.esp=1
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_Decal_All.esp=1
My_Minutemen.esp=1
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_AE.esp=1
Craftable Armor Size.esp=1
Build High - Expanded Settlements.esp=1
CROSS_PlasRail.esp=1
SkibsWeaponsMerged-AWKCR.esp=1
UniqueUniques.esp=1
Mercenary.esp=1
WestTekTacticalOptics.esp=1
Zimonja_Scrappable.esp=1
Wastelanders XM2076 by giggity12345.esp=1
WM Chinese Assault Rifle - Standalone.esp=1
CorvalhoWidowShotgun.esp=1
WoodenPrefabsExtended.esp=1
CraftableAmmo.esp=1
CraftableAmmo_plus.esp=1
DOOMMerged.esp=1
Assaultron Junk Parts.esp=1
Assaultron Junk Parts No Comp.esp=1
CBBE.esp=1
dD-Enhanced Blood Basic.esp=1
BetterSettlers.esp=1
BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp=1
SettlersRename.esp=1
WW_PATCH_ENG.esp=1
FH_PATCH.esp=1
VW_PATCH.esp=1
CW_PATCH.esp=1
DLC_SK_Patch.esp=1
Lore Friendly Posters.esp=1
WastelandWorkshopPatch.esp=1
AdvBubbleTurretSet.esp=1
AdvSettleTurretSet.esp=1
BuildableBurningCampfires.esp=1
Business Settlements.esp=1
BusinessSettlements-SKPatch.esp=1
DD_TRUMP_2016_MAKE_MODDING_GREAT_AGAIN.esp=1
FilledBrahminFeedTroughs.esp=1
SkjAlert_DLC01+.esp=1
SkjAlert_DLC02+.esp=1
SkjAlert_RS+.esp=1
SMH.esp=1
Lower Damage Requirement For XP.esp=1
Friffy_Holstered Weapons.esp=1
ImmersiveVendors.esp=1
ScrapDeadThings.esp=1
SSEX.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Ballistic Weave.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - No Crafting Perks.esp=1
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Power Armor Carry Capacity.esp=1
LegendaryModification.esp=1
LegendaryModification2LM.esp=1
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp=1
LegendaryModificationCSA.esp=1
LegendaryModificationGroknak.esp=1
EndorsCustomCombatArmor_CAS.esp=1
FallComplete.esp=1
keyNuker.esp=1
AlienAssaultRifle.esp=1
Extended weapon mods.esp=1
APMKV.esp=1
Fusion Gun.esp=1
mjp_PTRS41ATR.esp=1
LK05.esp=1
Family Mauser.esp=1
DesertEagle50AE.esp=1
ModularKalash.esp=1
BattleRifle.esp=1
Glock20.esp=1
HeroesRevolver.esp=1
M14.esp=1
M4A1.esp=1
m82a.esp=1
mk14.esp=1
No Lowered Suppressor and Bayonet Range.esp=1
PlasmaArsenal.esp=1
PlasmaSword.esp=1
Homing Fatman.esp=1
TheDude.esp=1
M2216.esp=1
M9.esp=1
WaltherP38.esp=1
WO-L96.esp=1
WO-M82.esp=1
Colt1911.esp=1
GaussRifleMk2.esp=1
tumbajamba Advanced Engineering.esp=1
GaussRifleMk2 - tAE - AWKCR.esp=1
P220.esp=1
FOX Coat.esp=1
OCDecorator.esp=1
DLC_OCD_Patch.esp=1
AlternateSettlements.esp=1
PWR.esp=1
Wasteland Ranger Outfit.esp=1
LooksMenu.esp=1
Bozar.esp=1
MercTroublemaker.esp=1
ClassicSniper.esp=1
QuazSilentMarksmanOutfit.esp=1
WET.esp=1
P99.esp=1
G3.esp=1
M1911.esp=1
SpetnazRifle.esp=1
WO-ScarH.esp=1
WO-G3.esp=1
WO-USAS.esp=1
WO-AK47.esp=1
WO-G20.esp=1
Wasteland Ordnance Merged.esp=1
Explorer's outfit.esp=1
Scavenged NCR Armor.esp=1
WorkshopRearranged_LoreFriendlyPosters_Patch.esp=1
WorkshopRearranged_SnB_Patch.esp=1
Special Forces Armor.esp=1
Special Forces Jetpack.esp=1
Lots More Male Hairstyles.esp=1

Anyone got any ideas? I pretty much only play for the character/settlement customisation.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd love a proper Ghoul overhaul mod that not only fixes the constistancy between the younger common ferals and pre-feral ghouls models, but it'd be nice if we got more variety in appearince too. Set up there is a good example of what I meant.

They should keep the really old locked away Ghouls and the Irridiated versions, they work. I just don't buy the common ferals being Ghouls of the last century gone bad.

There are actually some feral ghouls in post war outfits, but they aren't too common. It would be a good project to rig some of the existing armor and outfits to the feral model and see how it works, or even try to see what happens if you give a regular skeleton their animations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I've seen them but the effect is sort of spoiled as well they only picked what two outfits for males and that one dress for females?

I'd rather they kept the rags or just damaged armor look now. Still better than that weird Ghoul retexture mod which for some reason has naked male Ghouls and running at you with their junk flapping about.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

7seven7 posted:

I took a break from FO4 to give Skyrim SE a whirl and I've come back to a problem very few other people seem to be having. I can't change the colour of anything in the character creator or choose styles of nose/eyes/facial hair etc. I can change hairstyles and scuplt things, but my options are pretty limited. Excessive Googling turned up a few solutions like getting rid of Texture Optimisation Project, uninstalling/reinstalling and verifying the game cache, installing LooksMenu, and visiting the facial reconstruction doctor. But nothing has worked so far. Here's my ridiculous load order, which has been run through several iterations of LOOT:

GameMode=Fallout4

Anyone got any ideas? I pretty much only play for the character/settlement customisation.

looksmenu is good, also grab the assets pack. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14171/

bad news though : settler rename (don't call me settler) is bugged and causes the MQ to gently caress up at some point.

staberind fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 21, 2017

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

There's a mod that adds "slave" clothes that wasn't really my thing, but it would work pretty well for a variety in ghoul rags if they were human-shaped.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

After messing around in the CK, it looks like the Feral Ghoul and Human skeletons are different enough that the animations poo poo themselves, which is sad, but I expected it.

In brighter news, I had a look at the high resolution texture pack, and it looks like the specular and normal maps really are just higher resolution versions of the originals, so I'm pretty sure at this point that just ditching them is the right call. The pack also introduces a number of alternative colors. I'm looking at the bloatfly right now and there are two new variations of the texture, along with a new gloss map for one of them (which, again, looks like it can be downsized dramatically with almost no visual degradation).

I'm going to spend the next few hours extracting the the files I want from the .bsa's, and downsizing any new maps accordingly. Also, I'm pretty sure that it'll be possible to make higher resolution versions of existing recolors by using overlays, so I'm going to look into doing that as well.

e: lmfao this is a 2.7 mb file:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 21, 2017

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

turn off the TV posted:

After messing around in the CK, it looks like the Feral Ghoul and Human skeletons are different enough that the animations poo poo themselves, which is sad, but I expected it.

That sucks, i was thinking we can dump the feral meshes and I can use zbrush to mangle regular ghoul bodies & heads a little, then use bodyslide to make a bunch of outfits for them, retexture and bingo : goon variety.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

That sucks, i was thinking we can dump the feral meshes and I can use zbrush to mangle regular ghoul bodies & heads a little, then use bodyslide to make a bunch of outfits for them, retexture and bingo : goon variety.

From having messed around with the creation kit,

Races have a skeleton, a set of animations, and a "skin," which is stored as a .nif file, and I don't have anything to open that with, so I'm unsure as to exactly what it is. I downloaded M130's creature's mod, which mostly just contorts vanilla creatures onto different vanilla skeletons, and each of his creature's have a custom skin .nif. For the human skeleton, pretty much every single outfit counts as a specific skin, so I'm guessing that someone with the know how could create skins that fit the feral ghouls out of certain outfits.

e: The HD DLC Holotape normal is 5 mb? Why the gently caress?

e: The texture for the INSIDE of the pipboy, which you cannot even see, is FIVE times larger than the Pipboy itself??? That texture's normal is TEN times bigger than the Pipboy??????????

??????????

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 21, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

e: The HD DLC Holotape normal is 5 mb? Why the gently caress?

e: The texture for the INSIDE of the pipboy, which you cannot even see, is FIVE times larger than the Pipboy itself??? That texture's normal is TEN times bigger than the Pipboy??????????

??????????
:allears:
It's like Bethesda looked back at those grass meshes from Oblivion that had way too many polygons and thought to themselves: "We can do better. We can be the worst at optimizing our poo poo".

Forget about the file size, why would the inside of the pipboy even have a texture at all that's loaded into memory?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Raygereio posted:

:allears:
It's like Bethesda looked back at those grass meshes from Oblivion that had way too many polygons and thought to themselves: "We can do better. We can be the worst at optimizing our poo poo".

Forget about the file size, why would the inside of the pipboy even have a texture at all that's loaded into memory?

It's visible when you first see the model. In the original game it's 512x512, a footprint of 171 kb.

The high resolution DLC's interior is 4k. Its footprint is 10mb.

The high resolution DLC interior's normal and specular maps are 8k. Their footprint is 40 mb.

Original filsize of the pipboy folder in the high resolution DLC: 100mb.

With duplicated textures removed and downscaling on the absurd, it's 26mb.

:thumbsup:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
the .nif is a mesh, the kf is the motion attached to the skeleton, the skeleton tells the nif/mesh how/what to move, did you have a look at this all in nifskope?
reason being : nifskope has an animation playback. http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope

Have a look at it, its not like blender and all that, its way simpler, more of a nif viewer, with the ability to adjust things by scale, x, y & z placement of separate things.

I'm hungry, wish a buckethead would show up, etc, so, I will be back in a bit, I'll open up the ghoul meshes in nifskope and have a poke about.

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 21, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

the .nif is a mesh, the kf is the motion attached to the skeleton, the skeleton tells the nif/mesh how/what to move, did you have a look at this all in nifskope?

Nope, I don't have nifskope. I have no clue how to do any 3D editing so I don't think I'd be able to figure anything out by looking at it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Got a playthrough of Horizon going, after a bit of the early missions and preparing settlements I realized I was basically on a clock before I died from full rads from just eating and drinking and made the long journey to diamond city.
Made it across a bridge while being shot at by raiders from both sides and made it to diamond city during a radstorm with 90% of my healthbar red and 18 HP left with no healing items left, spent 710 of the 740 caps I made just going to the doctor.

Are doctors going to be my main way to cure rads? are all the empty or damaged stimpacks just junk items or is there a recipe somewhere to fix them up?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

To be fair to Bethesda about the HD pack, they know that the sizes for the textures are dumb, that's why they downscaled them to reasonable sizes for the retail release. The HD texture pack is an optional thing, and I'm sure it's just all of their assets at the size they were created, which makes a lot of sense.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

aniviron posted:

To be fair to Bethesda about the HD pack, they know that the sizes for the textures are dumb, that's why they downscaled them to reasonable sizes for the retail release. The HD texture pack is an optional thing, and I'm sure it's just all of their assets at the size they were created, which makes a lot of sense.

Maybe, but some textures (like the vault suit) are the same size as they are in vanilla, while others can be 10x larger. It doesn't seem completely consistent. Why design the Vault 11 suit to be 2k, and then make the baby clothes that you see one time in the entire game 4k?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
FN P90 by The Shiny Haxorus

:fap::fap::fap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49amJWeiOWQ

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

Maybe, but some textures (like the vault suit) are the same size as they are in vanilla, while others can be 10x larger. It doesn't seem completely consistent. Why design the Vault 11 suit to be 2k, and then make the baby clothes that you see one time in the entire game 4k?

I'd guess that the vault suit was designed really early on in development. Things can be inconsistent for really dumb reasons like that, and I assume that's what happened. I would very much doubt that they would release a weird mishmash of resolutions like this if they had all 4k images or some other consistent standard. Bethesda has never really been known for their texture fidelity, after all.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got the Plastic90, some textures appear to make it look rusty....?

By the way. I don't have a 4k monitor, but chucked the pa textures in regardless, they look pretty nice.
the texture pack is still uploading, so, sorry for the delay.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

I got the Plastic90, some textures appear to make it look rusty....?

By the way. I don't have a 4k monitor, but chucked the pa textures in regardless, they look pretty nice.
the texture pack is still uploading, so, sorry for the delay.

Only the T60 and the T45 have higher resolution textures, but all of them have higher resolution normal and specular maps. It's kind of disappointing.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah,I'm upscaling stuff like the frame & upper armours, faffing with them in gimp a little, might change the green mold on the brohoof of steers paintjobs to something more beige, or cum.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyb8etpu1wt6usn/PowerArmor.7z?dl=0

Thanks for all your patience and sorry it took so long.

I will go have a look at synth n' combat armour next

I'll unpack the lot and put up sets of 4096 I Find

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 22, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I got FO4 basically 6-ish months ago, started piling up mods as is standard for Bethsoft games, then promptly lost interest. I tried getting back into it this week but I'm just irritated by the wild inconsistency in enemy "bullet sponginess". Like, I'll be fighting raiders which go down in 2 well placed head shots, then the raider boss comes in and barely has 50% health after unloading 10 bullets into his head. (Not that they all hit home, but yeah.) I don't use VATS, I just play this like a pretty princess simulator with a (bad) FPS minigame.

I tried uninstalling Arbitration (or at least, the damage part) and it seemed to help a little, but shooting in this game still loving sucks, especially after having beaten DOOM 2016 on Nightmare. I installed Weapon Balance Overhaul and apart from that, I don't think I have any mods left that affect gameplay:

code:
# This file was automatically generated by Mod Organizer.
Fallout4.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
ArmorKeywords.esm
TrueStormsFO4.esm
ConcealedArmor.esm
Arbitration - Resources.esm
CBBE.esp
AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
Eli_Accessories.esp
Eli_RuggedOutfits.esp
Eli_AlecusRogueHD.esp
Eli_Gunslinger.esp
Eli_ArmourCollection.esp
Eli_Steampunk Gunslinger.esp
el_AgentOutfit.esp
WET.esp
TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsets.esp
TrueStormsFO4-GlowingSeaExtraRads.esp
DarkerNights.esp
DarkerNightsDetection.esp
RaiderOverhaul.esp
ConcealedArmor.esp
Arbitration - Button Lowered Weapons.esp
Arbitration - Better Combat AI.esp
Arbitration - Reduced Grenade Spam.esp
WBO.esp
Weapons of Fate.esp
WBO-Weapons of Fate.esp
CriticalHitsOutsideofVATS.esp
keyNuker.esp
Binary Speech Checks V.4.esp
ClassicSniper.esp
My_Minutemen.esp
Docile Radstags.esp
Is there some magic mod that will make the enemies more consistent?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

From what I understand Horizon tones down the HP scaling quite a bit.

However, I don't know of any mod currently released that straight up removes HP and damage scaling. It's something that I would love to do, assuming that I ever get around to it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Another bad thing with the wildy varying enemy levels within individual groups is that it affects their damage dealing too so you'll get situations where one guy's shots will just plink right off you but his buddy next to him with a stock pipe gun will tear your power-armored rear end apart lmao.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Any mods that mess with enemy level scaling or the weapon damage mechanics are just asking for trouble. Most of them are not well-balanced at all, or the mod author has weird ideas about how things ought to work.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Entropic posted:

Any mods that mess with enemy level scaling or the weapon damage mechanics are just asking for trouble. Most of them are not well-balanced at all, or the mod author has weird ideas about how things ought to work.

What I would like to do is just make NPCs scale in the quality of their armor, weapons, accuracy, and combat style, while making creatures scale based only on DR.

I'd also like to attempt creating distinct combat styles and applying them to specific roles and weapon types. For example, creating an NPC archetype that has lower cover usage, much higher attack rates, heavier armor, and giving them all high ammo capacity weapons, in the hopes that they would be able to keep the player suppressed while other NPCs flanked or closed distance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hey how about some interesting Nexus mods I found? already that nice looking P90 has been mentioned so I'll just drop the others here:

FAMAS Assault Rifle

Gunners Reskinned Into Talon Company

Bleeding Effect Overhaul

Albino Radmongrel Dogmeat

The Screaming Eagle Rocket Launcher, TF2 style Rocket Jumping

Breakable Locks gives you the skill to try and risk opening things by shooting them open.

Circle Of Steel is a BOS style stealth coat themed sort of Outfit.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

staberind posted:

looksmenu is good, also grab the assets pack. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14171/

bad news though : settler rename (don't call me settler) is bugged and causes the MQ to gently caress up at some point.

Thanks - I'll get rid of Settler Rename, but I already have LooksMenu and the problem still persists. I tried playing anyway and I can't rename my weapons either, so I'm thinking perhaps it might be a problem with DEF_UI. Has anyone come across this?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

:mrwhite:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

staberind posted:

might change the green mold on the brohoof of steers paintjobs to something more beige, or cum.

:yikes:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

turn off the TV posted:

What I would like to do is just make NPCs scale in the quality of their armor, weapons, accuracy, and combat style, while making creatures scale based only on DR.

I'd also like to attempt creating distinct combat styles and applying them to specific roles and weapon types. For example, creating an NPC archetype that has lower cover usage, much higher attack rates, heavier armor, and giving them all high ammo capacity weapons, in the hopes that they would be able to keep the player suppressed while other NPCs flanked or closed distance.

That's allegedly what some recent raider overall does, called CROOKS or something, but I've never tried it because it also turns them all into GTA gangbangers

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Entropic posted:

Well the vanilla game isn't very balanced in the first place, how bad could it get? :v:

Maybe I should just min/max a better build. But so many of the perks use dumb VATS, there's not much in the high end that's very appealing otherwise. My kingdom for a Fallout 4 SPERG. :saddowns:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

e: Also, here are some cool mods:

Subsurface scattering for super mutants
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/19874/

Mod that turns the Commonwealth into a desert
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22868/

I speak Japanese only
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/22944/

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's allegedly what some recent raider overall does, called CROOKS or something, but I've never tried it because it also turns them all into GTA gangbangers

Uh yeah, what the gently caress. You sure weren't kidding.

From doing a little bit of testing, you can really make a huge impact on what an NPC does by fiddling with their Combat Style. That's what most of the big Skyrim combat AI mods end up doing.

My basic idea is more or less this:

AI becomes more aggressive, more accurate, and uses more cover as the player levels up. However, smarter NPCs don't replace all the terrible, stupid and poorly equipped ones, they just become more common as you gain in levels. So you're always going to be running into smarter opponents throughout the game, but the average skill is going to increase as time goes on.

I'd like to make four different combat style groups:

Heavies, which have poor accuracy, a very low chance of using cover, and a very high chance of firing their weapons. They are equipped with weapons which have large magazines and utilize heavy armor. They use the dueling combat method, with a low circle multiplier and a moderate fallback multiplier.

Marksmen, which have excellent accuracy, a very high chance of using cover, and a lower chance of firing their weapons. They would have small magazine, high accuracy semi-auto, and rarely automatic, weapons and would wear light armor. They use the flanking combat method, with a high flanking distance, low variance and long stalk time.

Riflemen, which have average accuracy, a high chance of using cover, and an average chance of firing their weapons. They would use standard automatic and semi-auto rifles, with medium armor. They would use the flanking combat method, with an average flank distance, variance, and a shorter stalk time.

Assaults, which have poor accuracy, a moderate chance of using cover, and an average chance of firing their weapons. They would use close range weapons, like melee, shotguns and submachine guns, and would wear light armor. They would use the dueling combat method, with a high circle and low fallback multipliers.

This would create a few pretty distinct NPC opponent types. Heavy gunners to keep the player suppressed, marksmen to flank and engage from long range, riflemen to engage and flank from close to medium range, and gap closers to try and bypass cover.

I'd also like to have distinct combat styles for different factions. The BoS and Gunners, for example, would have a higher chance of using cover, higher accuracy, and a lower chance of attacking. Raiders would be middle of the pack. Super mutants would have a much higher chance of attacking, use cover much less often, and would be pretty inaccurate.

Equipment would also vary highly between factions. Raiders and super mutants would primarily use post-war hand made weapons, the BoS would have more of an emphasis on pre-war and energy weapons, while the Gunners would use lots of pre-war ballistics.

I would also probably try to make a perk overhaul to go along with all this, aiming to remove any and all damage scaling and refocus combat skills to improve weapon handling. Commando improves recoil control, Rifleman improves sway while aiming down the sights, etc. The idea would be to introduce more powerful weapons and armor earlier, but to gate them behind perks. You'd still be able to use a 5.56 assault rifle at level 1, for example, but it would be incredibly difficult to use it effectively. This would also require a weapon and modification rebalance, but that's something I want to do anyways.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 23, 2017

ErrorlessErik
Jun 27, 2008
I would love a no damage and hp scaling mod.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

7seven7 posted:

Thanks - I'll get rid of Settler Rename, but I already have LooksMenu and the problem still persists. I tried playing anyway and I can't rename my weapons either, so I'm thinking perhaps it might be a problem with DEF_UI. Has anyone come across this?

I've had plenty of issues with def ui, never an issue with being unable to fiddle with appearance, what i linked was a pack that goes with looksmenu and offers more options.
All I can suggest at the moment is disable half your mods, see if that works, etc.

turn off the TV posted:

My basic idea is more or less this:

AI becomes more aggressive, more accurate, and uses more cover as the player levels up. However, smarter NPCs don't replace all the terrible, stupid and poorly equipped ones, they just become more common as you gain in levels. So you're always going to be running into smarter opponents throughout the game, but the average skill is going to increase as time goes on.

I'd like to make four different combat style groups:

That looks great, however, what about melee and grenades?
do enemies aim for fusion cores in power armour?
Power armour really needs some work as well, considering you can practically live in it from the start of the game, enemies having the ability to crit, ie : hit a poorly armoured joint or whatever, and damage the armour a lot more, affecting mobility & finer motor skills.
it should be able to withstand most small arms fire, and shotgun, unless there are slugs. but anti material rifles should wreck them, with a second shot on the same part killing you. spitting you out of the armour suddenly like an automatic ejector seat, I'd Imagine a well maintained PA would offer total protection from enviromental hazards, up to mirelurk snot, but be obliterated by a mini nuke, SM suicides and so on.
Adjusting the Jet packs so they can only be used when all armour uses weight reduction mods, (even with the continuous flight mods) would be smart as well.

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 23, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

staberind posted:

That looks great, however, what about melee and grenades?
do enemies aim for fusion cores in power armour?
Power armour really needs some work as well, considering you can practically live in it from the start of the game, enemies having the ability to crit, ie : hit a poorly armoured joint or whatever, and damage the armour a lot more, affecting mobility & finer motor skills.
it should be able to withstand most small arms fire, and shotgun, unless there are slugs. but anti material rifles should wreck them, with a second shot on the same part killing you. spitting you out of the armour suddenly like an automatic ejector seat, I'd Imagine a well maintained PA would offer total protection from enviromental hazards, up to mirelurk snot, but be obliterated by a mini nuke, SM suicides and so on.
Adjusting the Jet packs so they can only be used when all armour uses weight reduction mods, (even with the continuous flight mods) would be smart as well.

Melee guys would fall under the assault class, but if that doesn't work out in testing I'd just make them their own thing.

I would probably give grenades to the Heavy combat style, or maybe every class. I haven't thought about that one too much.

As for power armor, I have a few ideas as to how to balance it.

Removing most instances of fusion cores sold by merchants.

Gating armor piece repairs with one of the armorer, science, or blacksmith perks.

Greatly increasing the amount of rarer materials needed to repair PA, and increasing this amount as the armor is upgraded.

I would like to use the DT mod, or some form of it, to balance all weapons and armor around. With this system it would be possible to give PA pieces very high DT and lower HP, so that basic attacks still damage PA pieces a small amount, but high caliber AP weapons that bypass much of the DT will absolutely murder the armor and the player.

I'm not 100% sure on whether or not it would be possible to add a cripple system for PA (assuming it doesn't currently exist and I've just forgotten about it), and I'm also unaware of how the jet pack actually functions, but those are pretty good ideas as well.

I have also thought about how to balance regular armor and outfits, and I've been meaning to look into if the Skyrim weight speed penalty still exists. If possible I would like to have the player move slower in heavy armor, to reload/aim down sights/switch weapons more slowly with heavy armor, and possibly have an aimed accuracy penalty. These penalties would be reduced through various perks, so as the player advances in the game they will be able to more practically use heavy armor, which would coincidentally allow it to be introduced much earlier in the game, and allow NPCs to have better outfits from the get go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I like those ideas, sort of reminds me of the Far Cry game but with a little more RPG depth. If you can pull it off I'd certainly download.

Also speaking of concepts that never get touched on, last time I was saddened by Feral Ghouls this time I got to talk about the Minutemen. From what I can tell the germ of the idea was there, a post apocalyptic revolutionary war militia using scrap improvised tech but it seems they didn't seem to get as much development time. Three or four outfits, a fortress and the laser musket. Oh and the sword to I guess :geno:.

Which is a shame because if you actually know a bit about clothing, weapons and military uniforms of that era like I do a whole oppotunity was missed. And it isn't even the developers doing this, every mod overhaul of the faction turns them into a Cold War/CIvilwarpunk style faction instead (one of those overhauls is pretty good content wise to be fair!). I understand model work at the moment for modding is a pain in the dick but I am still saddened by the lack of people being original as we could have gotten a crazy mad max punk revolutionary war faction but instead some really half assed reinactors who's spokesman is only liked for a terrible terrible bug.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you want someone to make a Minutemen shako mod just say it! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

If you want someone to make a Minutemen shako mod just say it! :argh:

It'd be nice if somebody would sit down and made some really nice gun powder era uniforms for the Minutemen, complete with fancy head gear at least. I am also pissed we never got a Plasma Blunderbus or Laser Flintlock pistol too.