Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

keep touchin' that poop reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Reddit is an excellent PTaaS provider

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Browser vendors should establish an html standard for password UI and have hooks for pw managers instead of the lovely code injection and scraping that's done now

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Malcolm XML posted:

Browser vendors should establish an html standard for password UI and have hooks for pw managers instead of the lovely code injection and scraping that's done now

Funny enough, Android O just put out an API for this. Lastpass and similar managers of its ilk have been screen scraping and injecting autofills on Android login screens.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

also:

quote:

Unsurprisingly passwords are stored in plain text and trivial to get out of the database due to verbose logging.
Tried comparing the field password to an integer
Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '********' to data type int.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i wonder if they know they're going to be arrested

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Raere posted:

I don't understand why password managers are so bad. Shouldn't they be relatively straightforward to make with some competent security people on your team? I understand that antivirus software is pretty complex so there are secfucks abound, but password managers shouldn't be that complex.

I'm very reluctant to describe anything security-related as "relatively straightforward", even with competent security people around, particularly not password managers which are surely huge targets.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
‪a neat article about hacking tractors for fun and profit
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 22, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

god drat that is some draconian poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's gonna be pretty cyberpunk when the entire north american farming community simultaneously shuts down because farmers have been installing the equivalent of ~*wEEdGoKu420*~_xda.rom from some rando in eastern europe on their equipment

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/844312124541186048

please tavis don't hurt 'em

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

pretty cool that farmers appreciate the importance of free software imo

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ6wSei-NJU&t=63s

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i almost replied to him with that scene but i didn't feel like hitting up frinkiac

(very apt tho)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

weird extra character on the end there in iOS

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
the farming and software industries standing shoulder to shoulder against the dmca. farmers have earned a lot of goodwill from me today. i will take up their causes alongside my own. i am now in favour of loving cows or whatever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chris Knight posted:

if it's not in the original url i'm gonna blame it on phonepostin

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Chris Knight posted:

Same for Anroid, just gives me some weird 404 horse.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

fisting by many posted:

keepass solves #2

you can set up a vault file/key file combination if you're worried about dropping your thumbstick and having your passwords stolen or w/e

I was going to come back to this post because I thought you had recommended lastpass and then I saw all this lastpass madness. Keepass was my original plan so I suppose I'll stick wit hit.

Does anybody know a service to help mitigate the impact of identity theft if it already happened? I was still hoping to help out my coworker, and I am terrified it'll happen to me some day. It was from a breach to his medical insurance company, and there's not much one can do about that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i think impact mitigation tends to just be checking for credit applications in your name and acting accordingly, take a look at https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0235-identity-theft-protection-services

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

crazysim posted:

Funny enough, Android O just put out an API for this. Lastpass and similar managers of its ilk have been screen scraping and injecting autofills on Android login screens.

the pwsafe app creates an IME so you can have it enter them for you without them ever appearing on screen or any other weird fuckery other than switching keyboard but they make _that_ easy because lol android

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was going to come back to this post because I thought you had recommended lastpass and then I saw all this lastpass madness. Keepass was my original plan so I suppose I'll stick wit hit.

Does anybody know a service to help mitigate the impact of identity theft if it already happened? I was still hoping to help out my coworker, and I am terrified it'll happen to me some day. It was from a breach to his medical insurance company, and there's not much one can do about that.

Was waiting for someone else to answer, but if you haven't yet, freeze your credit with all 3 major credit bureaus if you haven't already.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

is this /r/programming or /r/scatplay?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

it's gonna be pretty cyberpunk when the entire north american farming community simultaneously shuts down because farmers have been installing the equivalent of ~*wEEdGoKu420*~_xda.rom from some rando in eastern europe on their equipment

personally, i find it far more cyberpunk that you buy a tractor, but it's not actually yours, it's only licensed to you for its lifetime, with a 10 billion page eula

honestly, it's just as shady as the ukrainian firmware, and it's a great ticking bomb they brought on themselves.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
it's also funny because the repair restrictions are completely illegal and unenforceable in several other states, usually on the basis of laws originally intended for high end sports cars

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's immoral as gently caress and I hope they get sued.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

unlocking your tractors speed limit is badass

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hifi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEJHrmliVQw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hifi posted:

in the mid 90s i was in 4h with a guy who routinely had points deducted in the tractor driving competitions for driving too fast. i thought it was bullshit humblebragging until one event where i handled the score sheets and yup, jj lost 5 points for "excessive speed" though to be fair to the judges in that one he was basically drifting the tractor around some of the corners

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

in the mid 90s i was in 4h with a guy who routinely had points deducted in the tractor driving competitions for driving too fast. i thought it was bullshit humblebragging until one event where i handled the score sheets and yup, jj lost 5 points for "excessive speed" though to be fair to the judges in that one he was basically drifting the tractor around some of the corners

yeah we wouldn't want our stupid farmer games to be exciting, gotta obey the posted speed limits and tractor in an orderly fashion

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we all agree that the cryptographic link between the touch sensor and the secure enclave is a good thing, right?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

infernal machines posted:

your farm is locked until you pay 5 bitcoin

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah we wouldn't want our stupid farmer games to be exciting, gotta obey the posted speed limits and tractor in an orderly fashion

drifting a traction engine seems like kind of an affront to their existence

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

xPanda posted:

drifting a traction engine seems like kind of an affront to their existence

i think that's really what displeased the judges and this was their only way to express it

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Phoenixan posted:

your farm is locked until you pay 5 bitcoin

Freemium really is creeping in everywhere isn't it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

we all agree that the cryptographic link between the touch sensor and the secure enclave is a good thing, right?

what does it do?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Truga posted:

what does it do?

interferes with your Right To Repair

also prevents TouchID MITM attacks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Volmarias posted:

Freemium really is creeping in everywhere isn't it

farmville was the proof of concept

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pseudorandom name posted:

also prevents TouchID MITM attacks

just loving lol if you use a fingerprint sensor to log into a device, anyone with a modern phone can lift yours thanks to the high res cameras packed into them these days.

here, have a poc: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/researchers-steal-fingerprints-from-peace-sign-photos-20170116-gtss3e.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on a slightly more serious note, maybe don't have the touchid sensor be a part of the screen so people can get their phones fixed.

• Locked thread