Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

NOICE.

GHQ
Toyota pickups, LAND 121 G-Wagons, MAN 7.5t and 10t trucks.
M1A1 SA, Bushmaster PMV, Puma IFV, CV9030, Boxer CRV, M104 Wolverine AVLB, M1 ABV, and M88A2 Hercules.

And a Eurocopter Tiger ARH.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 21, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kommando posted:

NOICE.

GHQ
Toyota pickups, LAND 121 G-Wagons, MAN 7.5t and 10t trucks.
M1A1 SA, Bushmaster PMV, Puma IFV, CV9030, Boxer CRV, M104 Wolverine AVLB, M1 ABV, and M88A2 Hercules.

And a Eurocopter Tiger ARH.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I only got the ones that GHQ have already made. And spent way over what I should, I just went nuts speculating. They don't have an AMV35. :(

Now I'm going to make little dioramas of possible future forces loving up some technicals and put them on my desk.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can't wait for little Bushmasters.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Go listen to the first part of Revolutions Podcast while you paint your mans. It's about the ECW, which can also fit the category of a revolution at some point in its history. It's made by the same guy that made the History of Rome podcast and is pretty good.

http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fish and Chimps posted:

Go listen to the first part of Revolutions Podcast while you paint your mans. It's about the ECW, which can also fit the category of a revolution at some point in its history. It's made by the same guy that made the History of Rome podcast and is pretty good.

http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/

Hello new painting audio - I was listening to mostly Tabletop Minions recently because that guy has a nice radio voice that just blurs into the background, but this seems a little more on-point.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
ECW is cool but TYW is probably a lot cooler in every factor bar one for a Brit grog. We can leave our houses, travel no more than 30mins and walk a ECW battlefield pretty easily for the most part.
Reminds me I was persuaded to buy some 28mm ECW dudes, but I think I'd rather do it in 6mm. Then again I've got a load of unpainted 15mm Scots covenanters lying about somewhere

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Also I think a few of you will get a kick out of this

https://reportingtheenglishcivilwar.wordpress.com

A site posting newspaper reports from ECW

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

vintagepurple posted:

The english and the conflicts they were involved in are kinda overrepresented in rules/models, I think. The TYW being typically presented as a fun spinoff for your ECW dudes is the prime example though.

That, and "Early Napoleonic Wars = Peninsular, Late Napoleonic Wars = Waterloo. Oh, and maybe there were some fights in Germany?".

Oh, and maybe there were other people than English on the coalition side of Waterloo? Ah, you must mean the Scots!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well to be fair, the UK has largely dominated the war gaming world in terms of output for the last 50 years. It's no surprise that people are going to be more interested in conflicts they may have some local or personal attachment to.
Saying that, the ACW is Curiously popular here. I've even seen ACW reenactments in the UK

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Serotonin posted:

Saying that, the ACW is Curiously popular here. I've even seen ACW reenactments in the UK
:confused:

Along similar lines, I once had a hispanic co-worker opine that "Americans celebrating Cinco de Mayo is analogous to Canadians celebrating Gettysburg Day."

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Flames of War being so popular here in Germany (anecdotally, anyway) always seemed strange to me in a society that generally discourages anyone who seems to be maybe just a bit too into the Wehrmacht. Like, any desire I may have to get into historical wargaming (at least WW2-era) like that tends to get tempered by the fact that there's a pretty good chance that I'd eventually run into legitimate neo-Nazis while playing.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Drone posted:

Flames of War being so popular here in Germany (anecdotally, anyway) always seemed strange to me in a society that generally discourages anyone who seems to be maybe just a bit too into the Wehrmacht. Like, any desire I may have to get into historical wargaming (at least WW2-era) like that tends to get tempered by the fact that there's a pretty good chance that I'd eventually run into legitimate neo-Nazis while playing.

I've run into them but admittedly only once at a really groggy old-guy wargamers club. The crowd at the pub is a bit younger and I've never met a nazi there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

I've run into them but admittedly only once at a really groggy old-guy wargamers club. The crowd at the pub is a bit younger and I've never met a nazi there.

Yeah, my experiences from Sweden is that you're far more likely to meet an actual fascist if you play 40K than historicals.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
We have one in Denmark that's very into the Italians, of all things. He'll be there on the regular forums, spewing his garbage about the gallant misunderstood Italian soldier, or how the rules representing them just don't get how great they actually were at fighting them and how they should be buffed all around.

Pretty strange dude.

At least he's not the guy that wears sweatpants at tournaments, and tugs his penis when he gets agitated by an important dice roll. :gonk:

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serotonin posted:

Well to be fair, the UK has largely dominated the war gaming world in terms of output for the last 50 years. It's no surprise that people are going to be more interested in conflicts they may have some local or personal attachment to.

It's definitely understandable, just kinda funny. It also seems like ACW, Samurai, and roman poo poo transcend time and space to be popular everywhere. Those and nazis.

QED: warlord makes plastic britons but no dedicated plastic carthaginians or their mercs.

vintagepurple fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 21, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, my experiences from Sweden is that you're far more likely to meet an actual fascist if you play 40K than historicals.

40k is really unfortunate because one of it's major themes is parodying and making fun of fascism. The Imperium is a comical caricature poking fun at the absurdities of fascism. The primary protagonists of the setting are genetically modified übermensch super-soldiers obsessed with the "purity" of their "gene-seed", and planetary genocide is basically their favorite past-time. Their hatred and fear of the "other" is so rabidly fanatical that they'd make your average SS-Obersturmführer look like a calm, thoughtful, and reasonable person.

The problem is that a large part of the fanbase doesn't "get" it. They've grown up with Imperial propaganda posters, and just really like the hyper-exaggerated fascist imagery and themes of the Imperium. The problem is then further exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the people working on the IP are this way, as well, so a lot of 40k fiction these days is basically fascist daydreaming without a shred of self-awareness or irony. Authoritarians are just too dumb to recognize when they're making fun of. They don't roll with the punches, they absorb them. The best example of this is alt-right dickheads appropriating 40k propaganda and applying it to real life politics.

Historical wargaming is always accompanied by at least a passing interest in the history, as well, which is why crypto-fascists and neonazis are a lot rarer than in 40k circles.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 21, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Geisladisk posted:

40k is really unfortunate because one of it's major themes is parodying and making fun of fascism. The Imperium is a comical caricature poking fun at the absurdities of fascism. The primary protagonists of the setting are genetically modified übermensch super-soldiers obsessed with the "purity" of their "gene-seed", and planetary genocide is basically their favorite past-time.

The problem is that a large part of the fanbase doesn't "get" it. They've grown up with Imperial propaganda posters, and just really like the hyper-exaggerated fascist imagery and themes of the Imperium. The problem is then further exacerbated by the fact that a lot of the people working on the IP are this way, as well, so a lot of 40k fiction these days is basically fascist daydreaming without a shred of self-awareness or irony. Authoritarians are just too dumb to recognize when they're making fun of. They don't roll with the punches, they absorb them. The best example of this is alt-right dickheads appropriating 40k propaganda and applying it to real life politics.

Historical wargaming is always accompanied by at least a passing interest in the history, as well, which is why crypto-fascists and neonazis are a lot rarer than in 40k circles.

This would all be true if Games Workshop themselves hadn't drunk that particular Kool-Aid sometime in the late 90s. 40k hasn't been satirical for quite some time now, and it's not entirely because the customers are too thick to understand -- it's that the producer actively encourages this kind of cryptofascism.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, I touched on that, too - A lot of the current staff are a part of that group of people who grew up with 40k's parody of fascist imagery. The people who started the joke to begin with are all gone, and the people who got it are mostly gone. What you are left with is a bunch of people in their 30s and 40s who have been inundated with fascist imagery for most of their adult lives, and have absorbed it uncritically. By no means am I trying to wash GW's hands of this.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

The detail on these GHQ models is unreal.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

:confused:

Along similar lines, I once had a hispanic co-worker opine that "Americans celebrating Cinco de Mayo is analogous to Canadians celebrating Gettysburg Day."

If Americans celebrated both Canada Day and Gettysburg we could have a nice 4 day holiday period right at the beginning of summer. I'm all for it. Canada can join in too, it'd be great.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Kommando posted:

Aw poo poo, I guess I'm into 6mm moderns now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm going to say it again, someone should start a 1-to-1 Fistful of TOWs force so I don't have to do it myself/so I can get visual inspiration.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I was also really surprised by the detail on the 6mm ghq models.

Here is my finished writeup of all the stuff I finished for our SP game at AdeptiCon :

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-road-to-adepticon-french-and-indian.html

Previews

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

muggins posted:

I was also really surprised by the detail on the 6mm ghq models.

Here is my finished writeup of all the stuff I finished for our SP game at AdeptiCon :

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-road-to-adepticon-french-and-indian.html

Previews

I liked going through all of your writeups. How did you find the stone mountain paint compared to the Vallejo/Coat D'Arms?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Thanks! Coat D'Arms paint is actually pretty thin, but that's nice because you can layer it.

Stone Mountain was much thicker, but mostly I purchased it because they have dedicated native American and African American flesh colors. I liked it also because it comes in a big dropper and it seems like you get a ton of paint for your money.

Obviously I still love Vallejo - it is probably the thickest of the three. Black grey supremacy

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Get your hands off my Space Marines!

I mean, I would like Imperium of Man to be less incompetent and wasteful, but the writers have no sense of scale, and tend to bloat that.

I can't want for Imperium to be a communist paradise, because then it wouldn't be Imperium.

And if you tried to "fix" imperium, you'd end up with Tau or Yet Another US-in-Space Federation, which would earn your setting and game Nobody Cares About Your Star Trek Plagiarism Prize (and zero money).

Tolkienism is not nearly as harmful to fantasy as Good Guy Feferations are for sci-fi. Look, we're good and friendly with everyone outside of designated evil aliens! Lets us show you our gray-blue ships!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I just want to say this thread is without a doubt the best discussion thread in SA at the moment. A+ would [not]shitpost again.

JcDent posted:

Get your hands off my Space Marines!

I mean, I would like Imperium of Man to be less incompetent and wasteful, but the writers have no sense of scale, and tend to bloat that.

I can't want for Imperium to be a communist paradise, because then it wouldn't be Imperium.

And if you tried to "fix" imperium, you'd end up with Tau or Yet Another US-in-Space Federation, which would earn your setting and game Nobody Cares About Your Star Trek Plagiarism Prize (and zero money).

Tolkienism is not nearly as harmful to fantasy as Good Guy Feferations are for sci-fi. Look, we're good and friendly with everyone outside of designated evil aliens! Lets us show you our gray-blue ships!

Did you take a wrong turn, friend? Around here this is the imperial guard:

these are the marines:

this is the onlyfederation that matters:

We have got your communists though...

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah I honestly I don't really post in any other threads

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I just want to say this thread is without a doubt the best discussion thread in SA at the moment. A+ would [not]shitpost again.
As much as I'd like to agree, I can't. If you haven't yet, then take a look. It is a work of pure goon glory.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm already close to giving up on TOWs 3 1:1, since even looking up how many people were in a US mechanized infantry squad in 1986 and then translating that to how to base them for a game is proving to be a pain in the rear end.

I'll have to order like 5 books and revisit this later when I have more time.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just give up. I'm working on a Soviet regiment and it's still 18 STANDS of infantry. Fuuuuck doing those 1:1.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just give up. I'm working on a Soviet regiment and it's still 18 STANDS of infantry. Fuuuuck doing those 1:1.

I still like the idea, but I think you're right. Reading Muggins' blog has me really wanting to do some AWI stuff for Sharpe's anyway and that's a small, doable project instead of an insane undertaking.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

FoW has soviet units where your core picks are two groups of 21 stands of 15mm infantry :negative:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I just checked and in my laziness I have already done 9 stands of infantry. Most of them are ATGMs, AGLs or deployed MGs so it's just two dudes per stand, but even a full stand is just three guys breaking down a BMP/BTR's mans into logical sub groups around the squad RPG and MG. The other two dudes in the squad stayed with the vehicle as driver and commander, in all the sources I've found so far.

ETA: this guy has done a lot of good work on various formations, but his own experience is with the British army of the period so he understandably goes into way more detail there. It's a good resource anyways.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My first issue was that the sources I found said a Mech Infantry platoon had a command and 3 squads, and then the rulebook says to split platoons into just three squads so I've already got to decide if/how to deal with that, and then figure out how to apply whatever I choose consistently across the whole company.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Phone posting' apologies if these are all screwed up:

At least they pack up easy!
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/jQSRvGA

Soviet armor WIP
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ut5iM8l

British armor WIP
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/c3xsEa8

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kommando posted:

GHQ pics are what made me decide to be a 6mm collector. They're loving great.