Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

OFS talked about that.

It's because the starters are apparently two-stage trash with mega evolutions.

My bad. I still question the decision, with what I already said. It seems strange that they would try to change the balance on something that was already balanced, and has been the same exact way since the beginning, particularly when the game sticks to other conventions, like an early low level evolution bug and bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Tired Moritz posted:

Only 2 legendaries. That's surprising.

Oh there were plans. But they got C&D'd before they put them in.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
The Starters just having one evolution kinda pisses me off there. That isn't interesting or unique, that's just bad game design since it makes the Starters basically weaker compared to the actual Starters.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Dexie posted:

This thing is adorable and could see it being an actual Pokemon.

It looks like a digimon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Pyro Jack posted:

The Starters just having one evolution kinda pisses me off there. That isn't interesting or unique, that's just bad game design since it makes the Starters basically weaker compared to the actual Starters.

They're on par or stronger, so it's actually a dumb balancing mechanic especially since you get them at level 27.

Starter final stats always vary a little, but the gen 5 starters for instance are all 528 while the gen 6 & 7 starters are 535. Gen 1 had a slight range from like 520 to 535. And so on

The non-mega forms are 530 on the grass starter to 550 on sheep's starter. Balance!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Making the starters of your dumb fanhack also the Magikarps of your dumb fanhack is not a good idea! In fact, that's the exact opposite of what they're meant to be! They start out stronger than the other pokemon with advantageous typing, then as the game goes on they get more in line with the other pokemon until you eventually have a balanced team of six. Any point where you have to coddle your starter misses the point of it being your starter!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

rannum posted:

The non-mega forms are 530 on the grass starter to 550 on sheep's starter. Balance!

why do they hate the grass starter so much

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh, hey, did you think that there being 5 referenced legendaries not in the game was stupid enough? That's just the tip of the iceberg, as one of the legendary trios here is in the game... with only two members.

gently caress this stupid poo poo.

Also, they really don't get what the starters represent. How many kids got through R/B with just their super overlevelled starter? I know I certainly did. Hell, up until B/W every game I played my team was just my starter, a couple HM slaves and the box legendary for kicks. And I still got through them all an anemic two stage starter who relies on mega evolving (you know, that thing added so older mons could be more relevant without completely changing them?) is absurd, even if they end up as strong as third stages anyways.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

magikid posted:

I feel like when people want dark and edgy, what they're actually looking for is atmospheric. A heavy atmosphere can stir up emotions subtly and make you feel uneasy without resorting to cringeworthy "mature" topics or some kind of deathmetal bloodfest. I think atmospheric games are what inspire these guys, but when you don't know how to interpret that you end up with the latter two.

Atmospheric is Ocarina of Time. Dark and edgy is Shadow the Hedgehog.
I agree with this, and also think that a lot of people confuse "deep", as in mature and thought-provoking, with "dark", as in grim, bloody, and generally obnoxiously edgy, and they think the two words are synonymous. This leads to them discounting the plot of games with a lighter tone as simple fluff pieces incapable of depth or maturity, while hailing games whose characters are just walking masses of tragedy tropes as mature. From what I've seen of the plot of Pokemon Black & White, for example, it seems to be a reasonably deep analysis of the concept of Pokemon slavery that still manages to fit within the series' lighthearted motif. Uranium's plot seems at first glance more like a "paint-by-numbers" which hits all of the required plot beats for a generic grimdark plot but doesn't really provoke much thought or discussion. Granted, OFS has been protecting our fragile little minds from the true nature of Uranium's plot, so I don't really know all of the text, but I can't imagine it gets better than what we have seen.

Schubalts posted:

It's a trade evolution.
Oh, I guess that's how the "Link" in the name makes sense? The name doesn't exactly have much to do with ghosts or Pokeballs.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That gif of Cameron prattling on and on isn't even the worst instance of :words: in this game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Oh, I guess that's how the "Link" in the name makes sense? The name doesn't exactly have much to do with ghosts or Pokeballs.

It's because it has a chain :ms:

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dexie posted:

This thing is adorable and could see it being an actual Pokemon.

It's evolution is perfect and my friend and like one of the few legit good designs in this game and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

rannum posted:

So not only is the Grass starter the only one that does not start with a STAB skill AND the one that's most likely to straight up break the game on one of the core gameplay modes, but it's also straight up the weakest of the three overall?

Man, whoever made this game just really doesn't like Grass types.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

So not only is the Grass starter the only one that does not start with a STAB skill AND the one that's most likely to straight up break the game on one of the core gameplay modes, but it's also straight up the weakest of the three overall?

Man, whoever made this game just really doesn't like Grass types.

It ends up grass/steel so I'm betting that was done as an attempt to balance it out a little bit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Pokemon Sage art, now I go look it up, looks totally better than this. Like it's male-female are different Pokemon/combo Pokemon are Romeo and Juliet jokes.

Except for our sweet sweet DRAGONTRACTOR

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 22, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Genocyber posted:

It ends up grass/steel so I'm betting that was done as an attempt to balance it out a little bit.

Metalynx is kinda like Ferrothorn, if it traded its ability and a bit of its buffness for instant recovery and better offensive presence.

Ferrothorn is not quite the sort of design you look to when making a starter. A lot of its assets don't quite work for a storyline run.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I remember trying to use Ferrothorn in my black 2 run just because I thought it was cool. It was pretty painful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Metalynx is kinda like Ferrothorn, if it traded its ability and a bit of its buffness for instant recovery and better offensive presence.
That sounds amazing in competitive, and awful in storyline.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I had a read through of the Pokemon Sage pokedex, and I can't find a single one that would feel out of place in a real Pokemon game. Sure, there is some overlap, but for a project to create a new dex from the ground up there's bound to be some rehashed concepts.

Sorta puts how bad Uranium is into perspective, really.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bloody Pom posted:

I had a read through of the Pokemon Sage pokedex, and I can't find a single one that would feel out of place in a real Pokemon game. Sure, there is some overlap, but for a project to create a new dex from the ground up there's bound to be some rehashed concepts.

I was thinking just that. Nothing feels TOO outlandish and the design concepts that are a bit off the beaten track are still ones you could reasonably see.

Sorry DRAGONTRACTOR but you're just a bit too Digimon for my Pokemon game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

The creator like the evolution lines of "Small cute thing-bigger less cute thing-big badass thing" a whole lot.

Can't really blame him I guess.

Adorable.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 22, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Sorry DRAGONTRACTOR but you're just a bit too Digimon for my Pokemon game.

A little Digimon is okay imo. Xygarde is pretty rad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SSNeoman posted:

The creator like the evolution lines of "Small cute thing-bigger less cute thing-big badass thing" a whole lot.

Can't really blame him I guess.

Adorable.

I wish Phlask and Peppit were actual Pokemon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

rannum posted:

Except they're not really trash? Taking a look at the wiki they have 530-550 BST, that's higher than several actual starters' final forms.

Considering you get them at level 27 that's a pretty sizable stat different compared with the rest of the pokemon, I imagine.

Who gives a poo poo about their end stats? The starter being a two-stage pokemon is a terrible decision from a gameplay standpoint.

The starters in official games level up where they do to give the player a reasonable power spike right when their starters start trailing behind in power and let the games start throwing out stronger encounters. They then evolve again later to give them another stat boost to make them viable for endgame threats. Starters are starters because you can count on them being reliably strong without destroying the challenge curve.

OFS talks about this in the update, too. For the past 11-13 levels or so the starter has been completely useless to him. It doesn't really matter that it gets its final stats early if leveling stickleg dogfish is a complete chore because it's too weak to take on the middleweight threats it's expected to encounter in the late teens to late twenties. When people call out Uranium on bad game design, this is one of the reasons why.

Also finhead thundersharkpony's design is complete trash. The weird stick legs look terrible and from the front it looks like someone stapled Arceus's legs and a shark tail to a Dratini, then painted a lightning bolt on the side to make it go faster. The grass line's design is admittedly worse (flowers for leopard spots is cute but liepard does the look better). At least fire yoshi is sort-of alright looking? A fire raptor's pretty cool.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 22, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Specifically, Zapmander fell off at the exact point official starters would be evolving, when levels hit the teens.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, to be honest, there's no reason for the starters to only have two 'normal' forms other than for the creator to try and be different for whatever reason. it serves no actual purpose other than to be weird compared to the official games. not to mention that there's already actual starters that have 3 forms along with a mega

it's pointless, more or less

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Who gives a poo poo about their end stats? The starter being a two-stage pokemon is a terrible decision from a gameplay standpoint.

The starters in official games level up where they do to give the player a reasonable power spike right when their starters start trailing behind in power and let the games start throwing out stronger encounters. They then evolve again later to give them another stat boost to make them viable for endgame threats. Starters are starters because you can count on them being reliably strong without destroying the challenge curve.

OFS talks about this in the update, too. For the past 11-13 levels or so the starter has been completely useless to him. It doesn't really matter that it gets its final stats early if leveling stickleg dogfish is a complete chore because it's too weak to take on the middleweight threats it's expected to encounter in the late teens to late twenties. When people call out Uranium on bad game design, this is one of the reasons why.

I misread your post about the end result being weaker, rather than the bad design of having a weak starter during its midteens and going against the whole shtick of starter pokemon. Which I agree are bad! I was at first more looking at the bad design of giving you those stats at your late 20s on a starter rather than a gimmick like magikarp/feebas/wimpod.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PMush Perfect posted:

That sounds amazing in competitive, and awful in storyline.

I looked back at this, and Metalynx lacks entry hazards and Thunder Wave, and Leaf Blade/Meteor Mash are more reliable than Power Whip/Gyro Ball but Ferrothorn wins on raw oomph there. I had forgotten Ferrothorn's base attack is as high as it is.

Synthesis is a big change though, and while it doesn't hit as hard with its STABs, access to Earthquake does let it do something about fires and steels whereas Ferrothorn is completely at their mercy. I could see it as an alternative to Ferrothron for a team that has its entry hazards elsewhere. It could take a bit of heat for Nihilego, since it resists 3 of Nihilego's weaknesses and Nihilego is really good at making Charizard die, for example.

Mega Evolution is useless, though.

E: I have to consider Uranium's new pokemon as they apply to competitive play in isolation, as though they're one thing being injected, instead of the whole dex being jammed in. There is some real poo poo in there that makes considering Ferrothorn alternatives seem quaint.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 22, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

rannum posted:

I misread your post about the end result being weaker, rather than the bad design of having a weak starter during its midteens and going against the whole shtick of starter pokemon. Which I agree are bad! I was at first more looking at the bad design of giving you those stats at your late 20s on a starter rather than a gimmick like magikarp/feebas/wimpod.

Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear the first time. My reaction was just a visceral one based on the level-curve experiments GameFreak did back in G/S/C. Totodile evolving at 18 felt rough when Cindaquil evolved at 14 and Chikorita evolved at 16. The fact that you get Feraligatr at 30 didn't quite compensate for those extra 2-4 levels of midgame weakness, while Typhlosion wasn't really hurt by not evolving until level 36 because that's about when you need the third stage power-spike.

And then I imagined those 2-4 levels were stretched out to 10 in a game that already expects you to grind heavily to even try to stay competitive.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

In terms of starter talk, I feel like making the starters Magikarp-esque in terms of growth--as someone else said earlier--was the wrong way to go in terms of making Uranium a more-difficult-than-average Pokemon game, from a design perspective.

Assuming making a Pokemon game that is above-average and fair in its difficulty is the primary goal, I do wonder what alternative approaches to the typical starter formula would be viable design decisions. Off the top of my head, I think it may be interesting to design starters like Jeigan archetypes from Fire Emblem, where they start off super strong and useful, but due to poor stat-growths end up less than useful. This might encourage solid team-building and proper investment in the playerbase of this hypothetical "hard-mode" Pokemon game.

Fake Edit: That being said, I feel like Gen V might've gone down this path a little, as that's the only generation I specifically remember dumping my starter in the PC before I even finished all the gyms. Those starters never seemed especially strong to me.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear the first time. My reaction was just a visceral one based on the level-curve experiments GameFreak did back in G/S/C. Totodile evolving at 18 felt rough when Cindaquil evolved at 14 and Chikorita evolved at 16. The fact that you get Feraligatr at 30 didn't quite compensate for those extra 2-4 levels of midgame weakness, while Typhlosion wasn't really hurt by not evolving until level 36 because that's about when you need the third stage power-spike.

And then I imagined those 2-4 levels were stretched out to 10 in a game that already expects you to grind heavily to even try to stay competitive.

Not only grind heavily, but more inefficiently. I'm basing this off the original Blue/Red games, but note that one of the first places you go is Viridian Forest. Which contains the Caterpie-Metapod/Weedle-Kakuna lines.So not only do you get a new set of pokemon to catch/ grind on, but it's a set that both evolve around level 8. And instead of the evolutions being incredibly dangerous forms with extra stats, they're big sacks of HP and defence. So not only are they safe, easy fights, but they're giving you the XP of an evolved form. In Uranium? No such luck. You're grinding on the same pokemon for most of the game, and only now are we seeing evolved forms, so the XP curve is messed up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Posts like this are half of why I read OFS LPs.

Bydoless
Feb 25, 2017

Cooperate? Surrender the Forums you call "cooperate?"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

By the way, of the five legendary Pokemon in this, only two are actually fully implemented. The rest exist in the data but are in incomplete states.

NINE YEARS

Did they pull a Duke Nukem Forever? They probably redesigned the game every time some new official Pokemon games came out in order to integrate their new Pokemon, moves, and mechanics changes into Uranium.

... Or maybe the Pokemon Essentials engine is so crap that it takes them hours just to test poo poo and that they got so sick of it that they 'released' it just to get it off their backs before they look like a bunch of Ulillillias.

Bydoless fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 22, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Johnny Joestar posted:

also, to be honest, there's no reason for the starters to only have two 'normal' forms other than for the creator to try and be different for whatever reason. it serves no actual purpose other than to be weird compared to the official games. not to mention that there's already actual starters that have 3 forms along with a mega

it's pointless, more or less

I expect that they only designed three forms, then later decided they had to have mega forms and didn't want to go back to design another form.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

To be fair, they're completely independent, it's not like developing a Pokemon fangame pays the rent. Most fangames also take a very long time to complete for this reason. Not that I'm defending the game's quality.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Herr Tog posted:

this thread is officially a goon project now. someone please redo the starters now thank you

I fixed Baaschaf.

Plus his Alola variant.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's a part of me that wants to rip open this game's code, and try to rearrange the parts into something actually playable, but there's no way that it's worth the effort.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

Fake Edit: That being said, I feel like Gen V might've gone down this path a little, as that's the only generation I specifically remember dumping my starter in the PC before I even finished all the gyms. Those starters never seemed especially strong to me.

Eh, the Unova starters have the same approximate stat totals as the rest, but the stat spreads are real bad. Like, Samurott would be amazing in game if it were actually a samurai otter and dumped its special attack into speed/defense, and Emboar is basically a worse Darmanitan.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

SSNeoman posted:

Adorable.

This thing is adorable and I love it. Little ghost/flask thing? Hell yeah! I'd name mine Marie Curie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Eh, the Unova starters have the same approximate stat totals as the rest, but the stat spreads are real bad. Like, Samurott would be amazing in game if it were actually a samurai otter and dumped its special attack into speed/defense, and Emboar is basically a worse Darmanitan.
For something so slow, Emboar has some really lovely defensive stats. 110 base HP isn't really enough to make up for 65/65 on a fully-evolved Starter. Even just plunking off a few points in Speed and SpAtk to split between the defenses would help.

Also, make it heavier because Heavy Slam is already a terrible signature move without it being stuck on something that can't get above 40 BP on anything heavier than loving Crobat.

• Locked thread