Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

SteelNeuron posted:

Oh boy. Where do I start. You really think I developed this in isolation?

There has been dev involvement since day one. Various devs have criticised, in great detail, mechanics that go all the way back to October, when the god looked like this. Ever since we had an experimental branch, every new mechanic was met with a lot of discussion and scrutiny. I was told to renounce to several mechanics because they didn't fit crawl's philosophy, and I did. The god has been through dozens of iterations to fit the arbitrary but understandable restrictions that the devs brought up.

When the god got added to trunk it wasn't one dev randomly hitting the merge button, it involved an open survey in crawl-ref-discuss and lots of ##crawl-dev discussion. At no point was wall jump raised as a problem then.

Yikes.. yeah that's a problem, sorry that you had to find out this level of involvement had changed through a commit log. :(

e: Also I noticed some of the tavern posts; if things get heated posts will simply be deleted TBH, there's enough of a cautionary tale already so I think your goal has been achieved. I would take a break and wrap things up there later if absolutely needed.

apple fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

They're all gone...

SteelNeuron, when you make your game, I don't think there's a single person itt who isn't going to buy it. Count me in.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I agree that there probably should be something that lays out what to expect after submitting a contribution. There is this document for describing the general process for contributions. Pass your post or a condensed paragraph by ##crawl-dev and see if something can get added to that document under an Expectations banner or something similar.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Whenever people start talking about "visions" in their videogame while the community wails and gnashes teeth about changes being unfun it usually means the devs need to crawl back out from inside their own assholes.

Unless the goal is to make a game only they want to play.

Well, you usually design a game either for money (design for the players) or for fun (design for yourself). So, technically that last sentence is correct? It's kind of hard to define because developers are also usually a rotating pool from players in this case. That's why they usually refer to and interpret additions through the design philosophy first over just adding because it is fun.

I know there was some collaboration, but since October and this wasn't brought up as an issue at all? I really feel sorry for you hearing that. I haven't looked at the IRC logs or mailing archive, but it looks like MarvinPA was the one who pushed the commit that changed it so he might have been the one to bring up the topic (and the other devs agreed); how much collaboration did he provide? I'm asking because the issue might have been brought up by someone who wasn't following the project until it was merged, and only then noticed the issue (that others may have considered less troublesome until pointed out and discussed).

SteelNeuron
Feb 23, 2017

Floodkiller posted:

I know there was some collaboration, but since October and this wasn't brought up as an issue at all? I really feel sorry for you hearing that. I haven't looked at the IRC logs or mailing archive, but it looks like MarvinPA was the one who pushed the commit that changed it so he might have been the one to bring up the topic (and the other devs agreed); how much collaboration did he provide?

The most, really. This is the detail at which he reviewed the god's mechanics, to give you an idea, and that's way earlier than the merge. I'm unironically thankful for this, he helped a lot. If you take a look at this review in particular, I acted upon everything he brought up. That's why I don't get the sudden lack of communication.

Floodkiller posted:

I'm asking because the issue might have been brought up by someone who wasn't following the project until it was merged, and only then noticed the issue (that others may have considered less troublesome until pointed out and discussed).

Yep, that someone is minmay.

SteelNeuron fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 21, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I genuinely don't understand the thought process behind the change, and I again wonder why something that was almost universally praised is being made less fun.
this is the only place where it was almost universally praised, SA is not actually all of or even most of crawl discussion

Samog posted:

was wjc even good in extended
as someone who did extended with pre-nerf wjc, yes, extremely

wiggling back and forth of everything to slow them also applies to hell lords/pan lords and I killed everything very very easily. Serpent's Lash also always very very good

Darox posted:

Paging IronicDongz, I have some Beogh questions.
If you gift an orc follower an unbranded weapon, will Beogh eventually upgrade it with a brand? Will gifted items get upgraded at all? I've had a severe shortage of branded polearms in my game and several chump warlords with axes/swords.

Also I rolled snake and swamp and I'm worried about my orcs getting slaughtered by AoE poison damage, how bad is it really?
I have not seen Beogh give followers brands. I wouldn't worry about it to much though, definitely prioritize giving them any polearm(especially 1H) over waiting for a better one.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

SteelNeuron posted:

Yep, that someone is minmay.

Not surprising. That guy is honestly a piece of poo poo. I've gone into the crawl chat a few times and he does his best to belittle and drive out any new or "fun" players.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't have much to say about the WJC changes aside from expressing some disappointment that the slowing was removed without having a compensatory change in place to go. I know there was some talk about extending the Distraction mechanic to the rest of the god's abilities, and making Lunge work off that. I'm concerned that stripping slow without having that extension in place to go will end up having the current iteration languish -- especially since the dev team tends to be conservative about adding mechanics. Work-in-progress and all, though.

If you prefer an older version of the game, go ahead and play that! We have a version system for a reason, and older versions of Crawl are still hosted and available for download. I also want to remind people that the devs encourage people to fork Crawl. This game is open source: go ahead and take advantage of that.

SteelNeuron, I think I said this before to you, but I encourage you to work on your own projects! You have a lot of ideas that I find really interesting, that will have trouble finding compatibility with Crawl which is at this point a very old game with a lot of established precedent and history. Breaking off and working on your own roguelike (for example) gives you a lot of room to experiment and try out stuff that would never fly in Crawl. If you do, I'm looking forward to your posts in SA's roguelikes thread or /r/roguelikes (or /roguelikedev).

edit: mistaken on my memory of previous WJC conversation

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 21, 2017

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't have much to say about the WJC changes aside from expressing some disappointment that the slowing was removed without having a compensatory change in place to go. I know there was some talk about extending the Distraction mechanic to the rest of the god's abilities, and making Lunge work off that. I'm concerned that stripping slow without having that extension in place to go will end up having the current iteration languish -- especially since the dev team tends to be conservative about adding mechanics. Work-in-progress and all, though.

If you prefer an older version of the game, go ahead and play that! We have a version system for a reason, and older versions of Crawl are still hosted and available for download. I also want to remind people that the devs encourage people to fork Crawl. This game is open source: go ahead and take advantage of that.

SteelNeuron, I think I said this before to you, but I encourage you to work on your own projects! You have a lot of ideas that I find really interesting, that will have trouble finding compatibility with Crawl which is at this point a very old game with a lot of established precedent and history. Breaking off and working on your own roguelike (for example) gives you a lot of room to experiment and try out stuff that would never fly in Crawl. If you do, I'm looking forward to your posts in SA's roguelikes thread or /r/roguelikes (or /roguelikedev).

You're a good dev and thank you for posting and hanging around in this thread.

That is all.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Not surprising. That guy is honestly a piece of poo poo. I've gone into the crawl chat a few times and he does his best to belittle and drive out any new or "fun" players.

The most true post in this thread. Minmay is generally the worst person to interact with in the crawl chatroom. Very toxic to the game in general it seems from this.

Unimpressed posted:

They're all gone...

SteelNeuron, when you make your game, I don't think there's a single person itt who isn't going to buy it. Count me in.

This took, SteelNeuron, keep on working, you have ideas that are rooted in fun rather than tradition. Crawl used to be like that too and it was great.

apple
May 18, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

I agree that there probably should be something that lays out what to expect after submitting a contribution. There is this document for describing the general process for contributions. Pass your post or a condensed paragraph by ##crawl-dev and see if something can get added to that document under an Expectations banner or something similar.

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but it's actually really depressing/draining just to follow this whole ordeal. I post here in SA mostly because it's a fun diversion alongside playing Crawl when I get the itch. Diving into Crawl IRC to persuade a group of devs to add something even if it's trivial sounds like a lot of work, more than I'm willing to put. I realize that their mailing list and IRC is the dev team's comfort zone and that's okay.

e: Also I'm not sure now is a good time to bring something like that up anyway, it's probably best to let the dust settle on the matter

apple fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 21, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

apple posted:

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but it's actually really depressing/draining just to follow this whole ordeal.

I wrote something about this earlier in the thread:

SKULL.GIF posted:

A couple thoughts after reading the last few pages:

I want to caution against getting too worked up about Crawl becoming too hard. I've noticed that SA discussion, in the years I've been reading it, has a habit of reinforcing everyone else's negative opinions about a game (or another piece of media) and everyone gets worked up and starts thinking that the game really going completely loving awful to poo poo. This isn't something I see in other spaces that discuss Crawl. A lot of these removals that people are bemoaning mattered a lot less, in the long term of Crawl, than the posts discussing them made it seem.

I think it's still applicable today.

apple posted:

I post here in SA mostly because it's a fun diversion alongside playing Crawl when I get the itch. Diving into Crawl IRC to persuade a group of devs to add something even if it's trivial sounds like a lot of work, more than I'm willing to put. I realize that their mailing list and IRC is the dev team's comfort zone and that's okay.

e: Also I'm not sure now is a good time to bring something like that up anyway, it's probably best to let the dust settle on the matter

Apple, if you submit or make a PR that expands on process.txt to explain what happens/what to expect after the contribution is added to Crawl then I'd be happy to merge it into that file. The process for getting minor edits and updates into the game is pretty casual, really. If it's a markedly better improvement, or if it's something that reasonably clears things up then a dev will go ahead and add it in without a second thought. Mechanics changes or content additions get more scrutiny.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Whatever happened to that one "let's just go fuckin crazy and give each species crazy cool poo poo to do" branch, it was called circus animals or something?

apple
May 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it's still applicable today.

Well, it's not just SA I've been following TBF, I've been following a combination of SA, Tavern and the commit logs ever since WJC got on trunk and feedback started coming in. I don't let the nasty comments here or elsewhere shape my mood or opinion on the game. How the whole situation is panning out is pretty lovely; there are no winners here and even as a bystander I feel bad because I like Crawl and I also like that there's people coming out of the woodwork with fresh ideas. Obviously there was a communication breakdown somewhere and seeing the result of that is what bothers me.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Apple, if you submit or make a PR that expands on process.txt to explain what happens/what to expect after the contribution is added to Crawl then I'd be happy to merge it into that file. The process for getting minor edits and updates into the game is pretty casual, really. If it's a markedly better improvement, or if it's something that reasonably clears things up then a dev will go ahead and add it in without a second thought. Mechanics changes or content additions get more scrutiny.

That's fair, I'll think about it. I'd probably have to at least research a little bit to form a concise but useful paragraph. Most of what happens after a contribution has been covered already so it's mostly a matter of putting those things together. Like I said though, I'd rather wait for things to calm down a bit first.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hey I know everything I say always gets ignored but I feel compelled to mention that Uskayaw is a super fun and unique god right now. Don't gently caress with it just because the devs can't agree on the proper way to butcher SteelNeuron's idea.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Whatever happened to that one "let's just go fuckin crazy and give each species crazy cool poo poo to do" branch, it was called circus animals or something?

I think it just stopped getting updated one day; last update to the branch was 8 months ago. Cause was probably either loss of interest or CrawlCode.

The current updated branches/forks are Yiufcrawl (attempt to add in all removed, experimental, or unmerged species and some other changes) and Hellcrawl (fork designed by Tavern memes).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My WJC experience was I tried to run from two two-headed ogres and accidentally wall jumped behind them, where they killed me immediately.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Why is wjc not allowed to be strong when Trog exists, and not allowed to be tedious when Nemelex exists

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would definitely play gooncrawl if someone made a version with rmut, fun WJC, singularity, and whatever other perennial complaints we have reverted (crown of eternal torment???)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I would definitely play gooncrawl if someone made a version with rmut, fun WJC, singularity, and whatever other perennial complaints we have reverted (crown of eternal torment???)

Never forget the Ogres.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ogre aptitudes confuse me now. Why are they worse at m&f, their nearly race-defining weapon class, than they are at staves and polearms (iirc)? Feels weird

It's like making spriggans bad at short blades or something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

someone awful. posted:

Ogre aptitudes confuse me now. Why are they worse at m&f, their nearly race-defining weapon class, than they are at staves and polearms (iirc)? Feels weird

because Interesting Decisions are more important than fun

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I think ogres are better now bc they can still kick rear end w a giant club but now with decent spellcasting apts

Wish WJC was given more time before the changes though. They let it into the game, I say let it remain more than a few weeks without major changes

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, changes this quickly sound strongly like one of the devs just hates the entire idea for whatever reason.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

someone awful. posted:

quote:

MarvinPA committed on Dec 10, 2016

As an alternative to the proposal of Basajaunak as a large caster race, instead
let Ogres take more advantage of their Ogre Mage heritage, with -1 spell school
apts across the board. Also give them more starting int but less str/dex, and
significantly decrease their M&F apt - they're still uniquely able to make the
most of GSCs but now require more of an investment to do so (and might feasibly
consider other weapon types too), and the extra XP cost for GSC usage is likely
more than made up for by the XP saved on spell schools.

i think this is pretty silly but here it is

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like having a much easier time with spells as ogres but fwiw I don't think they needed to have lower M&F apts to compensate

btw SteelNeuron despite being I guess the guy who is most vocal here about liking the recent Wu Jian changes I did also like back when it was a 'floating weapons' thing and I think in my ideal world crawl probably would have Wu Jian merged into uska, but also would have some version of floating weapons Wu Jian

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cheetah7071 posted:

Crabs. Crabs everywhere. High Crabs. Mountain Crabs. Sigcrab. Lom Locrab.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Crabs. Crabs everywhere. High Crabs. Mountain Crabs. Sigcrab. Lom Locrab.

Dungeon Crab Stone Soup

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ogre Transmuters are pretty good now. Spriggan evasion with Ogre health and strength is a powerful combination, you can ride spider form all the way to lair branches.

I don't especially mind either way on the M&F nerf but think it's dumb how heavily slanted their weapon apts are. -3 apt for swords or axes isn't interesting, it just means you'll pick a weapon class that isn't gimped.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

none of you whiny assholes said a loving thing when pizza got removed which invalidates all of your opinions

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Please let me leave the dungeon after getting some gold so I can go buy a pizza.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The battle to defend flavor was already lost ages ago.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Flavor died when Yiuf's hammers did. :rip:

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

i'm not sure why people advocate to bring rmut back when the real solution is to remove malmutate

better crab race idea: exactly like a human but with a red crab-person sprite and 100% mutation resistance because crabs are already perfect

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Roctavian posted:

none of you whiny assholes said a loving thing when pizza got removed which invalidates all of your opinions

Not quite up to whine levels, but:

Floodkiller posted:

:rip: pizza

I hope royal jelly gets turned into a custom food type instead so I can set it back to pizza in the rcfile someday :smith:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I am actually very glad that food "flavor" was reduced. You still get to enjoy the many fruit varieties, but they only take up one slot.

FR: Bring back pizza but rename it Pineapple Pizza and make it a fruit.

FR2: Add pineapples.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just replace royal jelly with pizza, have beehives be bee pizzerias instead.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

You eat the fresh pineapple. Delicious!
You eat the fresh pineapple. Delicious!
Your face begins to dissolve.
You continue eating the fresh pineapple.
You die.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It feels weird for royal jelly not to have its cure-all effects any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

yes but for balance purposes that armor is probably too powerful for the race it needs to be removed

• Locked thread