Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
A black non-functioning monitor is actually the intended Mass Effect Andromeda experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - why's it gotta be black, you racist crudderfuther?

Number Ten Cocks posted:

They're entirely colonized. You didn't see the Apache fighting with Apache guns, did you? The Angarans use Kett and Council weapons now, Quarian and Turian spaceship parts ten years ago. It all makes sense.

Makes sense, but is loving boring. An entire species of intelligent catcrab people without anything to call thier own.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

*doesnt play the game at all, rushes to forums thread*

people need to know what my opinions on this bad game are

I haven't gotten too far tbh but the fact that one of the first thing the game wants to teach you is to be a repairman is really lol now that I think about it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ashpanash posted:

So far, just got to my ship. This game feels like I'm playing through the studio's animatic of a very sloppy first draft script. It's pretty rough going.

Definitely feeling like they needed to kill some darlings, here. It's really half-baked.

How dare you criticize them, they've worked so hard on this game, for years and years.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Real talk, Mass Effect has been my favourite fictional universe for 7 years, I'm scared this game will spoil it for me. 1 day til release here :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ShineDog posted:

One thing that bugs me.

On a mission, my crew get along
When I wander the tempest, they joke and tease each other, but they get along. (Except for Gil and Kallo)
When I call a staff meeting, everything turns into a massive shitshow and they make each other and me look like idiots.

Beyond that, still fun. The aliens are definately uninspired, but it continues to be good times to explore and fight in.

well to be fair, its not some military/paramilitary ship. your basically the long term away explorer team for initiative. honestly. so far, i like it. the gameplay is solid and i like the crew. there are the animation/model issues but i havent encountered any really bad ones thankfully. the writing so far at least is passable. i made my Ryder look like a better version of his default model.

ill report more when i get more done. maybe post some pictures.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also just had a really bad turkey sandwich for lunch, this is turning out to be a heartbreaking day :smith:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Decided to try out multiplayer. Game's crashed 3 times to desktop so far while in a match.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Drifter posted:

Jack was AWFUL in ME2 - some Goth Topic chick with anger issues. Dark and Mysterious past :rolleye:
I'm not saying it was a *good* dark and mysterious past, but it was somewhat dark and there were at least questions about her past that I wanted to see answered within a few minutes of meeting her. Compare that with Cora and Liam, who, at least 8 or 9 hours in, are... colonists? They're not bad characters, but I find them extremely boring (so far). A lot of this comes down to personal preference, and I'm not going to sit there and say that the Andromeda characters are objectively boring, but they could have done so much more with a new galaxy.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

I also just had a really bad turkey sandwich for lunch, this is turning out to be a heartbreaking day :smith:

Maybe it was the mayo.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The user metascore is 4.1.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

If there's one thing less useful than the critic metascore, it's the user metascore. At least the critics all probably played the game.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mass Effect Andromeda is like the schlockiest science fiction B-movie you can find to rent and laugh at all night. It tries so hard, so desperately, to be everything to everyone. But its biggest pitfall is taking itself so seriously with a cavalcade of issues that not only break immersion but sometimes prevent you from advancing or enjoying the game in a manner that doesn’t involve saving, stopping, restarting, and going back into it hoping the problem has been fixed.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I gave it a big fat ZERO because I can't find a krogan to gently caress ANYWHERE

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm surprised that critic average score is so high. This thread led me to believe every reviewer was just savaging the game.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is like the schlockiest science fiction B-movie you can find to rent and laugh at all night.

I was streaming this to a friend and this game would be amazing if it had actual co-op where you could just be space losers.

Add coop to every game you cheapo industry fuckers.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Drifter posted:

How dare you criticize them, they've worked so hard on this game, for years and years.

I want to like it, but...

Where's the polish? Any of it?

I just played what could have been a complete turd, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and it was actually really good, because it was polished as hell and it knew that its core mechanic was a lot of fun, so it really pushed it.

Right now, it feels like they just kept slapping poo poo on this and then hit a deadline and had to ship before anyone had a chance to edit or fix the sloppy interactions or animations, much less getting someone to punch up the dialog. It's really early but it so far the story beats, like your father's 'secret', feel really heavy-handed and amateurish. I can forgive Horizon for some of its excesses in storytelling - it's harder, based on history, for me to forgive a Mass Effect game.

It'd be like if Valve released Portal 3 and it was sloppy and full of juvenile humor, but it was three times as long. I love the mechanic as much as anyone, but that would be a real insult to the game's legacy and their reputations.

I hope this gets better.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Homeless Friend posted:

I was streaming this to a friend and this game would be amazing if it had actual co-op where you could just be space losers.

Seriously, my buddies have been saying the same thing. If the game had coop I would have looked past a lot of the problems I have with it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ashpanash posted:

I want to like it, but...

Where's the polish?

Witcher 3

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Hello I've made poor life choices, bought this game and actually played it and hahahahhaha what the gently caress is up with that Krogan's voice?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Homeless Friend posted:

Especially without a tight narrative and lots of downtime between attention-worthy story beats. It'd be great.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wouldn't say it was Hitler, Hitler had renegade interrupts.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > ME: Andromeda - even Hitler had renegade interrupts

Hedrigall posted:

You weren't inside a turkey, but just think, a turkey is inside you. It's not a cat man, but it's not nothing. :unsmith:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ShakeZula posted:

I'm surprised that critic average score is so high. This thread led me to believe every reviewer was just savaging the game.

Game criticism is weird/hosed.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

i knew from late preview coverage what this game was going to be but i had to see it for myself

they did it, guys. they made mass effect bad

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

A score below 80 is savaging the game. See how many AAA titles get that score. Ghost Recon has about the same score, so does the new Styx game. Horizon and NieR are close to 90.

And this is fair because a score below 50 should be reserved for something truly terrible like DayZ.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
First impression is that mass effect is finally its own thing and no longer a ripoff of the star wars universe. The multiplayer is fun just the same again too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Elotana posted:

Any hints on how to fix a black screen? I can hear the menu music but nothing works video-wise. I don't have the Corsair utility thing that Google says to uninstall.

I had to exit out of TeamViewer but you can also turn off snap window I think? Google "games black team viewer"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Also some weird bug where I can't choose some talking points - suddenly they just autoclicked.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

ShakeZula posted:

Even if it is a disappointing Mass Effect game, its still better than most games. If Horizon, Zelda and Nier are getting 90+ then Andromeda getting ~78 feels right to me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It is good that the combat is so satisfying. The guns have a nice feel to them, and everything is appropriately hectic. I just did what is probably the first "boss" fight of the game and it was a blast. I hope to see more fights that get that crazy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Grem posted:

Hello I've made poor life choices, bought this game and actually played it and hahahahhaha what the gently caress is up with that Krogan's voice?

It's a female Krogan apparently.

At least I think it is...

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Lucid Dream posted:

Even if it is a disappointing Mass Effect game, its still better than most games. If Horizon, Zelda and Nier are getting 90s then Andromeda getting ~78 feels right to me.

That may be so but my man but I finished the first big main mission on eos and then did like one side quest and as i was driving through the desert I took a look at the map and realized that I was playing a Mass Effect game with the open world gameplay of Dragon Age: Inquisition and I realized that bioware will probably never make a game i like ever again and that makes me feel very sad inside

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lucid Dream posted:

Even if it is a disappointing Mass Effect game, its still better than most games. If Horizon, Zelda and Nier are getting 90+ then Andromeda getting ~78 feels right to me.

I guess I can see that, but then again, I paid the ~$69 because I thought I was getting a 90+ game based on the pedigree. If this stays a 78 game, I'll just wait for the next one to be down to $30 on sale - I certainly won't have a reason to look forward to it. They may have lost half of my money, and a lot of other people's money - for some of them, all of it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I plan on waiting until the Quarian Ark DLC, and if I can't romance a Volus then Bioware is dead to me forever.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also, a request for future Mass Effect games, and really all open-world games with questgivers: a cell phone to complete missions from. Seriously, Bioware even has this in TOR, why in the hell isn't it in this game too. Let me call people up and tell them the job is done. I literally have an AI wired into my head who can communicate instantaneously with quantum entanglement and poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vintersorg posted:

It's a female Krogan apparently.

At least I think it is...
The one on the Nexus? Yeah, it is a female Krogan.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Wait why do we have AI again? I thought they were banned.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ravenfood posted:

Wait why do we have AI again? I thought they were banned.

Because Dad Ryder was an AI researcher and an arsehole.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Really? Characters look at you even during ambient conversations with each other? That's just lazy af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Apparently his wife, who he claims to love deeply, dispassionately telling him she's going to die made him break all the rules.

That's as far as I've seen.