Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
From reddit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

wolrah posted:

From reddit:

I'm loving dying laughing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want one of those in each room of my house.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

wolrah posted:

From reddit:

Man, executive washrooms have gotten small these days.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
I really need one of those next to my bed at the very least

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

wooger posted:

Probably true. Also the open concept houses with kitchen + diner + living room all in one room don't seem viable if you do cook all the time, at least not if there are more than 2 of you.

If I want to listen to the radio while I cook, everyone else has to listen too. Even if they're watching TV.

Nah, you just end up having social time while you cook more often than not because people are around. Otherwise it's whoever is there first gets the noise rights unless you ask/haggle about it, and 'I'm producing food for you to consume' is a strong position to negotiate from.

wolrah posted:

From reddit:

One maintenance person's quest to find the key and lock the piss-vent away for ever and ever.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wooger posted:

Probably true. Also the open concept houses with kitchen + diner + living room all in one room don't seem viable if you do cook all the time, at least not if there are more than 2 of you.

If I want to listen to the radio while I cook, everyone else has to listen too. Even if they're watching TV.

The rule in my house is whoever's cooking gets to pick what's on tv. If you don't like it, hang out on the patio or in your room with your magical pocket sized media consumption device.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suspect Bucket posted:

The rule in my house is whoever's cooking gets to pick what's on tv. If you don't like it, hang out on the patio or in your room with your magical pocket sized media consumption device. help cook.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

canyoneer posted:

Yeah I have one and I have mixed feelings about it. It's nice that you don't have to be isolated while cooking, but I have a crappy builder-grade dishwasher that is loud as crap so I hear it in like half the square footage of the home when it's running.

We had that problem for the last 5 years. We rent, and the dishwasher was a 30 year old Frigidaire that was loud as poo poo. Forget watching TV or even having a conversation near it. A few weeks ago the pump ate poo poo and so the landlord replaced it with a new one and man is it quiet. Basically we can't tell it's running unless we're standing next to it. I think it was like $500 (Canadian) from Costco. I must have gotten used to the old one because if I had known the difference was going to be this great I would have seriously considered just buying it myself.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EKDS5k posted:

We had that problem for the last 5 years. We rent, and the dishwasher was a 30 year old Frigidaire that was loud as poo poo. Forget watching TV or even having a conversation near it. A few weeks ago the pump ate poo poo and so the landlord replaced it with a new one and man is it quiet. Basically we can't tell it's running unless we're standing next to it. I think it was like $500 (Canadian) from Costco. I must have gotten used to the old one because if I had known the difference was going to be this great I would have seriously considered just buying it myself.

This was me with garage door openers. I live in a split level so the garage is directly underneath my bedroom, and for the first two years I lived here there was an old screw-drive Genie. I grew up with a similar opener so I never thought anything of it. My housemate leaves for work an hour before my first alarm goes off so for two years I was getting woken up at least partially pretty much every morning by the whining noise.

Last summer lightning hit the tree in the back yard and somehow ignored all my computers and electronics but managed to fry the electric eye portion of the opener so it thought it was always obstructed and thus refused to open. Literally nothing damaged aside from that and the tree itself. We replaced it with a cheap belt drive unit and in comparison it's barely audible, I don't wake up early anymore unless my housemate is being noisy. A quieter garage door opener turned out to be a significant quality of life improvement in ways I didn't even consider.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://i.imgur.com/wVbgEyj.mp4

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You say crappy construction, I say hilarious novelty handbasin.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Yeah no gtfo my way and do the dishes when i'm done if you want to be helpful.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Looks good!

More: http://imgur.com/gallery/et3EK

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Suspect Bucket posted:

The rule in my house is whoever's cooking gets to pick what's on tv. If you don't like it, hang out on the patio or in your room with your magical pocket sized media consumption device.

I have no desire to watch TV while I cook, need to concentrate on sharp things or hot things.

Honestly I'm glad that my girl can get her reality fix out of the way while I'm not in the living room.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This owns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I'm pretty sure this one's intentional though?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really bloody hope so

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm pretty sure this one's intentional though?

It would have to be, no? Most handles don't have holes through them large enough for water to pour through, I'd think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Most handles connect a handle to a valve using a solid piece of metal, yes.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wolrah posted:

From reddit:

I'll bite. What's the story with this? They weren't allowed this many urinals by code, so they walled one off instead of removing it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I hope this was also by design:

http://i.imgur.com/GYWI8WY.mp4

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

I'll bite. What's the story with this? They weren't allowed this many urinals by code, so they walled one off instead of removing it?

Pretty sure the answer is photoshop.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

Dunno, but I know there have been cases where a large downtown building gets put up with water free urinals, but due to political pressures, the plumbers union gets paid to install full plumbing that goes unused.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Is that a spring loaded faucet valve?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FogHelmut posted:

Dunno, but I know there have been cases where a large downtown building gets put up with water free urinals, but due to political pressures, the plumbers union gets paid to install full plumbing that goes unused.

Yep!

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/the-last-union-town/

quote:

They’re flushless urinals that require no water; gravity does the work, pulling the waste through a filter and then down a pipe and into the sewage system. It’s clean and efficient, and in the Comcast building alone, it would save the city 1.6 million gallons of water each year.

Not so fast, the city’s plumbers union said. Less water means fewer pipes. Fewer pipes mean less work. And so the union blocked the job, threatening the completion of the building, and in turn delaying all the business that would happen inside it. But worst of all was the prospect of losing the title of “tallest green building” to that most dastardly of cities: New York. The Comcast tower would stand 975 feet, only a bit taller than the 962-foot Bank of America building under construction in New York. And the Big Apple’s building came equipped, of course, with the special toilets.

In a stunning testament to the power of Philadelphia’s unions, the city twaddled in the face of the obvious choice: “We’re still looking into this,” the top building code official told the Inquirer at the time. “I want to make sure they’re safe.”

Sounds prudent, except that flushless toilets have long been installed at elementary schools elsewhere in the state, as well as in state government offices. And so far, both children and bureaucrats have remained intact.

One clue to Philadelphia’s paralysis lies in the city’s building code: Philadelphia is, for example, said to be the only large city in America that doesn’t call for PVC pipe as the standard plumbing material. It still calls for cast iron. PVC is cheaper, lighter and longer lasting. But one plumber can carry 10 lengths of PVC pipe; it takes 10 plumbers to carry a length of cast iron.

One reason for the political, financial and social strength of the building trade unions in Philadelphia is that construction — unlike textiles, say, or automotive work — can’t be outsourced overseas. So without competition in the market, the building trades maintain a powerful grip on one of the citizenry’s most basic needs: shelter.

Philadelphia’s unions have such a hold on construction costs in the city that they — unlike home prices, unlike job salaries and taxes — can disobey the market. So the city’s residents and businesses are squeezed between economic reality on one side, and unions on the other: lower home values, higher building costs.

Knowing the power of the trade unions, the developers of the “green” Comcast tower had little option but to strike an absurd deal: The Comcast tower got its new toilets. But only because it also got a full set of old-fashioned pipes, installed by union plumbers. The pipes run throughout all 58 floors, just like in any other skyscraper.

Except in the Comcast tower, they’re not connected to anything.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Is that what the access panel is for then? To refill the trap once the water in there evaporates and starts letting sewer gas out?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

kid sinister posted:

Is that what the access panel is for then? To refill the trap once the water in there evaporates and starts letting sewer gas out?
The trap is filled with vegetable oil to prevent this, though they do require eventual replacement based on usage levels.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

In our office they solved this by adding air fresheners until people couldn't smell the sewer gas anymore. I stopped using that bathroom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

OP on Reddit doesn’t know, and no one else knows where the building is, so it will remain a mystery.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

OP on Reddit doesn’t know, and no one else knows where the building is, so it will remain a mystery.

It might have been mounted but never connected to a drain pipe, or connected in a way that didn't drain correctly. If it wasn't water-reduced, I'd have guessed it floods something on a lower floor when used.

It was clear placed before the entire bathroom was drywalled, as the paint and baseboard runner both match.

Maybe there is a code about minimal distanced between urinals and walls/dividers that it doesn't meet? It's tucked into that corner pretty tight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All those possibilities were raised in the comments, but none of them convincingly explain both why they wouldn’t remove it and cap the pipes and why the access hatch exists.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's for the one dude in the office who eats a ton of asparagus.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

loving hell. Get your poo poo together America.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GreenNight posted:

My house has mixers on all the sinks with really short throws, and I removed the aerators from all the faucets that I actually want to be able to get decent pressure and/or fill containers with, so it's kind of like this.

I wish you could buy the disabled bathroom long handles for mixers for a reasonable price.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yes, this is the exact situation I was referring to.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Unions are the crappy construction in this story.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
More like the corruptive influence of power. It's like putting untreated wood in direct contact with the ground -- poo poo's gonna rot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Philly's cleaned up a bit since a bunch of bigwigs went to Federal prison for things like burning down a church under construction because the Quakers picked a non-union contractor.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/Ironworkers_union_leader_gets_8_years_in_arson_extortion_case.html
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20150721_Ironworkers_union__73__boss_gets_19_years_in_prison.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/oSUaHS7.gifv