Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Oh sorry I'm so used to everyone I know in real life being terrible and saying rims when they mean wheels. Those are Avarus Av15. Here's a better picture.

Where did you get that matte paint job? :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah it actually looks great unlike 90% of matte paint jobs. :)

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It's actually vinyl wrap. Almost as expensive as getting it painted but it came out really well. Glad you guys like the color!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

The only ones frowning upon this are your poor tires.

? Snow doesn't harm tires. I wish there was a good parking lot I could get out and do that with around here. But then again that would require snow. It hasn't snowed in Denver at all this year.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I think I mentioned this before, but is anyone interested in a set of meticulous gloss black FiST rado's with basically brand new (3500 miles) stock pilot sport A/S tires on them? Factory setup including TPMS. Local pickup in Metro Detroit.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

I think I mentioned this before, but is anyone interested in a set of meticulous gloss black FiST rado's with basically brand new (3500 miles) stock pilot sport A/S tires on them? Factory setup including TPMS. Local pickup in Metro Detroit.

If only they'd fit over my RS's calipers. I need to pick up some wheels this fall for winter tires.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

xsf421 posted:

If only they'd fit over my RS's calipers. I need to pick up some wheels this fall for winter tires.

Wrong bolt config/offset/etc. I assume. They are 4x108

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Wrong bolt config/offset/etc. I assume. They are 4x108

Durf, you're right. RS is 5x108, but needs 18" with a 50 offset to clear the calipers. It would've been nice to have relatively cheap snow tires.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like I might have to nix my plans to buy a set of 1552 Tarmacs for the GTI for my summer setup. I put in for a transfer to Denver last year and it got unexpectedly approved. I have the money but am not sure I can justify spending it on that now. Guess I'll just throw some PSS's on the stock wheels and call it a day. I'll just save the stock all seasons to throw back on when I turn the car over in a few years.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Dealer near me has a leftover '16 Fiesta ST listed at 15.5k. Doesn't have the Recaros, which I desperately want as my old 300ZX had them, but that price might be too good to pass up. Already got the go ahead from the wife to vinyl wrap it some stupid color and slap some turbomac wheels on it if I compromise on the seats. But those Recaros are so good....

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I think the seats are around $2k in the ford racing catalog. Might ask about that because swapping them you'd still be at $17.5 k which is hella cheap.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Also it might pay off to search around on the forums, on the Focus ST forums there are people selling seats all the time. Usually around $1k-1500, on the higher end if they have the back seats as well as the fronts.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
There's passenger side '16 FiST Recaros on car-part.com for under $150. No driver sides are on there currently, but I bet if you check often one would show up. That's another option.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I knew that you couldn't fully turn of ESC in the GTI but that didn't really bother me. What does bother me is the fact that you can't fully turn off the traction control? I can get it to kick on in both available modes. What the gently caress is the point of that?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fknlo posted:

So I knew that you couldn't fully turn of ESC in the GTI but that didn't really bother me. What does bother me is the fact that you can't fully turn off the traction control? I can get it to kick on in both available modes. What the gently caress is the point of that?

You can fix this with a vagcom cable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

You can fix this with a vagcom cable.

I need to get a vagcom to turn the traction control off? :wtc:

Also, this car really wants me to top off my windshield washer fluid. There are 3 notifications for it. You get a big one on the main display in the instrument panel, one that temporarily shares time with the trip computer, and one permanent warning light to top it all off. I'm assuming it's probably important to fill because it will somehow migrate into the ECU and fry it if it's below a certain level? It's also at a level where the fluid will apparently slosh onto the sensor so it goes off and on repeatedly. I'll eventually get mad enough to stop and buy some.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I loved how the loving thing would go on and off whilst chiming each time.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I wish my car could hold washer fluid :smith:

(I ran over a curb while distractedly pulling out of a parking spot and managed to break the reservoir. 30 dollar part on ebay, just need the weather to be warm for a weekend so I can fix it)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Also, this car really wants me to top off my windshield washer fluid. There are 3 notifications for it. You get a big one on the main display in the instrument panel, one that temporarily shares time with the trip computer, and one permanent warning light to top it all off. I'm assuming it's probably important to fill because it will somehow migrate into the ECU and fry it if it's below a certain level? It's also at a level where the fluid will apparently slosh onto the sensor so it goes off and on repeatedly. I'll eventually get mad enough to stop and buy some.

Can't say I've run in to this on mine. But then again I keep mine topped off most of the time just out of habit.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

(I ran over a curb while distractedly pulling out of a parking spot and managed to break the reservoir. 30 dollar part on ebay, just need the weather to be warm for a weekend so I can fix it)

How bad is it? Sploog enough goop on it might do it

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PaintVagrant posted:

Nashua Stretch & Seal tape. Learn it, love it, live it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet, but if it's just a thin crack then yeah I'll try some sort of goo or tape. Good ideas.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

That's a fantastic deal.

Honestly the base seats really aren't that bad. I had Recaros in my prior FoST and don't miss them.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

howling_mad posted:

Honestly the base seats really aren't that bad. I had Recaros in my prior FoST and don't miss them.

My biggest problem with the base seats is that they aren't heated.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I'll ask here because you guys probably have a better idea but has anyone ever put an infant car seat in a Golf R? I just want to know whether I can have it sit in the middle and clear my driver seat.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'll ask here because you guys probably have a better idea but has anyone ever put an infant car seat in a Golf R? I just want to know whether I can have it sit in the middle and clear my driver seat.

Depends on where your seat fits? My girlfriend was in Europe with her sister and her sisters baby recently and they were able to fit it in the back of a Golf with 4 of them in the car so I assume it will physically fit, not sure how that would affect your comfort though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

D C posted:

Depends on where your seat fits? My girlfriend was in Europe with her sister and her sisters baby recently and they were able to fit it in the back of a Golf with 4 of them in the car so I assume it will physically fit, not sure how that would affect your comfort though.

This is a pretty good insight into how it's likely to fit, so thanks for that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Depends on the seat. You're asking a question with too many variables. Some of the infant carrier systems today are freaking huge. Others are not as large. I'd recommend putting it behind the passenger seat anyway, but that's just me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

skipdogg posted:

Depends on the seat. You're asking a question with too many variables. Some of the infant carrier systems today are freaking huge. Others are not as large. I'd recommend putting it behind the passenger seat anyway, but that's just me.

The infant carrier my mom used for me fits fine.
(old people joke)

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

fknlo posted:

To my knowledge there are two VCDS tweaks to fully disable all forms of traction control, at least in a manual MK7. I understand the stock DSG tune will still limit wheel spin in its own way.

1) ESC off permanently, I changed byte 29 to 06 which with a long press of the ESC button will completely disable it. Stock is ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC SPORT.

In VCDS go to: brakes (ABS), long coding, choose byte 29. If you change byte "29" to:

05 - the button options are ESC ON/ASR Off/ESC OFF
06 - Button options: ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF
09 - Stock

2) Disabling the Starting Vibration Reduction, this is the torque limiter setting:

In VCDS go to: brakes(ABS), adaptations, choose starting vibration reduction and change to "deactivated".

These settings will let you spin the tires all day.

In other news - my AWE downpipe, Unitronic intercooler, and Injen Evo intake are now installed. Just running the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune for now and the car is pretty quick, I think I will wait to protune it until I upgrade the clutch and get an IS38 turbo.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 23, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

An infant seat fit in my '16 GTI. I don't know what seat specifically or which seat they put it in (my co-worker had my car at the time), but I know they took their kid places in the car. I'm pretty sure the R and the GTI have the same seat dimensions.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Coolnezzz posted:

To my knowledge there are two VCDS tweaks to fully disable all forms of traction control, at least in a manual MK7. I understand the stock DSG tune will still limit wheel spin in its own way.

1) ESC off permanently, I changed byte 29 to 06 which with a long press of the ESC button will completely disable it. Stock is ESC ON/ASR OFF/ESC SPORT.

In VCDS go to: brakes (ABS), long coding, choose byte 29. If you change byte "29" to:

05 - the button options are ESC ON/ASR Off/ESC OFF
06 - Button options: ESC ON/ESC SPORT/ESC OFF
09 - Stock

2) Disabling the Starting Vibration Reduction, this is the torque limiter setting:

In VCDS go to: brakes(ABS), adaptations, choose starting vibration reduction and change to "deactivated".

These settings will let you spin the tires all day.

In other news - my AWE downpipe, Unitronic intercooler, and Injen Evo intake are now installed. Just running the Cobb stage 3 OTS tune for now and the car is pretty quick, I think I will wait to protune it until I upgrade the clutch and get an IS38 turbo.

Thanks. Looks like 05 is what I'd like the most. I just don't like the loving traction control kicking in during straight line acceleration on dry pavement with the stock tires. It almost seems like the button and modes are a complete placebo and don't actually do anything.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The R comes with the ability to turn off nanny completely. I still haven't been confident enough to test it. The nanny is amazing in the snow. With snow tires and AWD the car will basically do anything you ask it to.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Turn them off and autocross. Lift off oversteer is fun with fwd bias. You just hit the gas to not swap ends.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

Turn them off and autocross. Lift off oversteer is fun with fwd bias. You just hit the gas to not swap ends.

I grew up driving bugs, oversteer is how I learned to enjoy cars. My bug taught me, if things are going bad, the brakes are only going to make it worse.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I quit waffling like a bitch and purchased a vehicle.

Ended up with a '16 Magnetic Fiesta ST with Recaros.

And gratuitous odometer shot when I got home. It was meant to be.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Quite A Tool posted:

Grats. Shame about the front plate.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

nice

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Haha 69

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just rolled 7000 miles in mine. No issues whatsoever other than my phone bluetooth dropping occasionally (all bluetooth is garbo) and the rear brakes making some weird rotational noise. I "fixed" the brake issue by disassembling them, cleaning the rotors w brake cleaner and putting it all back together. No idea what was causing it.

I have no complaints, great little car.