Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool how our collective ability to retire is determined by this poo poo, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

call to action posted:

It's cool how our collective ability to retire is determined by this poo poo, isn't it?

Its not a bug, its a feature!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

Stocks had their worst day in 6 months. Looks like they may have snapped out of their Trump Dreams, but I guess we'll see what's what soon.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/844247587653914625

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/844278449019801600

So where's the Trump tweet taking credit for all this?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

call to action posted:

just take comfort in knowing you won't be retiring. that's an outdated concept from an old world

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Oh right. The border tax is a go btw. Retail is already under heavy stress. This will probably push the bankruptcies forward.

Border tax has become a 'given,' chief GOP tax writer says

quote:

A border adjustment tax will probably make an appearance in the final tax reform plan, the Republicans' chief tax writer in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Brady, told CNBC on Tuesday.

"My sense is that border adjustability has become a given. That it will be part of the final tax reform plan and now the discussions are how can it be designed in transition in a very positive way for importers," the chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee said on "Squawk Box."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I'm hearing anecdotally from sales guys on the bulk side that there is about a 50% chance China "slams the door" on grain in retaliation if it happens. Have heard the same about Mexico.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
do you want a trade war
pay twice as much for goods once more

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

BrandorKP posted:

I'm hearing anecdotally from sales guys on the bulk side that there is about a 50% chance China "slams the door" on grain in retaliation if it happens. Have heard the same about Mexico.

I'd say with Mexico that's more than an anecdote. The plans are being laid already.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-22/mexican-companies-craft-plan-to-sidestep-u-s-grain-imports

quote:

One of Mexico’s largest business groups is working on a bargaining chip ahead of talks to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement: finding alternatives to the U.S. for grain imports.

The Consejo Coordinador Empresarial, one of the nation’s top business chambers, is examining countries such as Brazil and Argentina to add new sources for soy, corn and wheat, according to Juan Pablo Castanon, the group’s president. Exports from those countries could help Mexico adjust to the difficulties that a Nafta renegotiation might present, he said.

“The renegotiation might bring increased costs to imports, and our own exports might be hurt, so we need to find new markets,” he said in a phone interview, adding that the group’s efforts are still in the initial stages. The chamber, established in 1976, represents the country’s main agricultural, industrial and financial industry organizations, among others.

A move by Mexican businesses to import raw materials from other countries could hit U.S. farmers hard. Mexico is the largest buyer of U.S.-produced corn, spending $2.5 billion in the 2015-2016 season, ahead of Japan’s $1.8 billion, according to the U.S. Grains Council. Mexico has spent $800 million on U.S. corn so far in the current season. The country is the second-biggest client for U.S. beef, having bought $1 billion in the 2015-2016 season, trailing only Japan.

quote:

Switching suppliers isn’t as easy as flipping a switch. Mexico depends heavily on rail for imports from the U.S. and Canada, which wouldn’t work for goods from South America. But Mexico’s ports could handle imports from the south, and the benefits would outweigh the costs, Castanon said.

“We need to open new doors,” he said. “As the trade talks progress, we’ll see how we need to make use of them.”

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Well, I'd say that when your biggest trading partner threatens to bankrupt you unless you pay for their border wall, it's a good sign that you should look for other trading partners who won't bully you around on a whim.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Can anyone else in the world even pick up the slack off the sheer volume of food exports that the United States produces? I was under the impression that the US was one of the few countries that had a huge surplus of food.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

OhFunny posted:

I'd say with Mexico that's more than an anecdote. The plans are being laid already.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-22/mexican-companies-craft-plan-to-sidestep-u-s-grain-imports

This is sad. Mexico used to be able to provide its own corn till nafta. Our subsidized corn was too cheap and drove Mexican growers out of business

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I can understand trading for art, and food that can be grown better in another clime, but I do not understand leaving your country beholden to others for military hardware or general necessities

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Stocks are continuing to drop today. Are we seeing the start of the crash or is it too soon to tell?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Grouchio posted:

Stocks are continuing to drop today. Are we seeing the start of the crash or is it too soon to tell?

This seems like it's just an adjustment. There's no panic that's driving this- rather many people made certain assumptions about the economy thinking they were getting a standard republican rubber stamping policy at the top. That consensus no longer seems to be correct so the markets are reacting to that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Alternatively, yes absolutely SELL SELL SELL.

(that's a hilarious broad question and if anyone had the oracular power requisite to answer it in equally simple terms I hope they wouldn't be posting on a dead gay comedy forum about it)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Grouchio posted:

I hope you've been selling on the way up (via asset rebalancing). Feel free to buy on the way down once a quarter or so, also via asset rebalancing.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
God dammit, should have taken my own advice and sold a week or two ago

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I really am curious as to what point in this apocalypse scenario politicians start weighing "country doesn't collapse into utter turmoil and chaos" and "get to go golfing with the 62 billionaires causing this mess" and err towards the former.

I mean, dont take this as a FYADesque call for assassination, but at some point a governor has to be pretty drat spooked that the liberal economy has resulted in simple army rifles being available to the deteriorating public billions for less than $200.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 22, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
They're betting the farm on police, security, and surveillance. Doesn't seem like a bad plan when half the country is too fat or sick to fight and the other half mostly all hates each other.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Neurolimal posted:

I really am curious as to what point in this apocalypse scenario politicians start weighing "country doesn't collapse into utter turmoil and chaos" and "get to go golfing with the 62 billionaires causing this mess" and err towards the former.

I mean, dont take this as a FYADesque call for assassination, but at some point a governor has to be pretty drat spooked that the liberal economy has resulted in simple army rifles being available to the deteriorating public billions for less than $200.

Collapse in and of itself doesn't produce political violence, as a cursory survey of the situation in formerly prosperous south american countries such as argentina or venezuela demonstrates. There needs to be both ideological and organizational support to challenge the ruling elites, and until that starts showing up there will be plenty of billionaires perfectly happy to rule squalid slums from their gated communities. Right now the people most affected by late capitalism aren't organizing in any way that would suggest any threat from outside the existing political system.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Can anyone else in the world even pick up the slack off the sheer volume of food exports that the United States produces? I was under the impression that the US was one of the few countries that had a huge surplus of food.

Let me tell you about food deserts

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Let me tell you about food deserts

Access != production

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

When it comes to corn the answer is no.

The US exports more than 2.5x the amount than the 2nd largest exporter.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Double posting, but subprime credit losses in the auto loan market are worsening.

http://www.businessinsider.com/fitch-on-auto-loan-market-2017-3/#the-subprime-auto-loan-delinquency-rate-is-moving-higher-1
http://www.businessinsider.com/mizuho-on-subprime-auto-lending-conditions-2017-3
http://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/ford-stock-price-march-20-2017-3-1001851020

Ford looks to be very exposed due to it's high levels of financing.

quote:

The number of Americans who have stopped paying their car loans appears to be increasing — a development that has the potential to send ripple effects through the US economy.

Losses on subprime auto loans have spiked in the last few months, according to Steven Ricchiuto, Mizuho's chief US economist. They jumped to 9.1% in January, up from 7.9% in January 2016.

"Recoveries on subprime auto loans also fell to just 34.8%, the worst performance in over seven years," he said in a note.

"It's getting worse," Ricchiuto told Business Insider.

quote:

The 60+ day delinquency rate for subprime is closing in on the 6% mark, and is the highest in at least seven years.

"Fitch expects that deteriorating credit performance will be more acute in the subprime segment, driven to some extent by the expansion of less-tenured independent auto finance companies that have demonstrated higher-risk appetites and less underwriting discipline," the report said.

quote:

"The data suggest some notable deterioration in the performance of subprime auto loans," Fed researchers said in a post. "This translates into a large number of households, with roughly six million individuals at least ninety days late on their auto loan payments."

Then there is the effect on the broader economy. Ricchiuto said in a note (emphasis ours):

"The upturn in the domestic auto industry since the government bailed out GM and accommodated the merger between Fiat and Chrysler has been a mainstay of the economic recovery and expansion. Auto sales have exceeded all other consumer-related purchases and account for the bulk of the economy's upside since the turn in June 2009. This dynamic is likely to be tested in the weeks ahead as forward rates take on reduced Fed accommodation and lenders face rising losses on loans and leases made to subprime auto borrowers."

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

OhFunny posted:

Double posting, but subprime credit losses in the auto loan market are worsening.

Yep it was only a matter of time until the bubble bursts. From subprime mortgages to subprime auto loans.

I can tell you as a consumer Ford had some pretty great financing options and I almost bought a car, but I take public transportation to commute so what's the point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

gonna be nice, all these bubbles popping with an idiot like trump at the help trying to pass a border tax

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
::finger hovers over the Sell button on his retirement funds::

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

what are the odds that if ford is toppled by risky lending, they'll get bailed out

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I don't think we're looking at a 2008-level crisis because of it, but a subprime auto loan crash still scares me. It's bad for all the obvious reasons, but car manufacturers absolutely depend on credit being available to sell cars. It's going to be completely brutal if the bottom drops out of that market.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be poetic justice for all the blue collar folks who voted for Trump in the rust belt, really.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rated PG-34 posted:

what are the odds that if ford is toppled by risky lending, they'll get bailed out

They're not going to get toppled, because cash is available for the company to do corporate debt. The automakers got in trouble before because of a liquidity crunch, and right now corporate lending is still easy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zeno-25 posted:

It would be poetic justice for all the blue collar folks who voted for Trump in the rust belt, really.

Not really. They already don't have jobs. The only way to make life in the Rust Belt worse would be to enact harsher drug laws, cut welfare, and end free lunch programs.

Oh wait...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

100%. Any of the Big Three going under would a massive blow to the economy.

They are to big to fail.

Twerk from Home posted:

They're not going to get toppled, because cash is available for the company to do corporate debt. The automakers got in trouble before because of a liquidity crunch, and right now corporate lending is still easy.

You are probably right, but it's another sign that this economic expansion is nearing its end.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

In any given year there is a drought, fire, flooding of farms somewhere, and sometimes it happens here. What happens is that grain from previous years in stocks goes onto market. Often it is of lower quality even if it is of the same grade. For short periods this works pretty well. For long periods... well I don't really know

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So I was going through the old (2012) NIC 2030 alternate worlds estimate. https://globaltrends2030.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/global-trends-2030-november2012.pdf I was doing this to use the "potential worlds" to make some projections for a grad school class. Any way up at the front it had some "black swan" events that could potentially severely gently caress up the world. I'm not feeling good about a bunch:

Much More Rapid Climate Change
Euro/EU Collapse
US Disengagement

I think we are in for worse than a normal recession:

"Stalled Engines is nevertheless a bleak future. Drivers behind such an outcome would be a US and Europe that turn inward, no longer interested in sustaining their global leadership. Under this scenario, the euro zone unravels quickly, causing Europe to be mired in recession. The US energy revolution fails to materialize, dimming prospects for an economic recovery. In the modeling which McKinsey Company did for us for this scenario, global economic growth falters and all players do relatively poorly."

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

BrandorKP posted:

Much More Rapid Climate Change
Euro/EU Collapse
US Disengagement

I think we are in for worse than a normal recession:

I doubt, personally, the US is going to disengage. You don't increase your army massively to, then, not use it.

I agree with you we are in for more than a recession. I think we are facing extinction.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
On the bright (what is that again?) side, a correction in the subprime auto market may unfuck the used auto market.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

LorneReams posted:

On the bright (what is that again?) side, a correction in the subprime auto market may unfuck the used auto market.

Gonna make it super easy for my wife and I to buy our dream van, though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

anonumos posted:

Gonna make it super easy for my wife and I to buy our dream van, though.

You goin with wizard on the side or on the hood? I hear the new hotness is tiger or Amazon babe too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

LorneReams posted:

Isn't this all part of the same problem? My understanding of the situation is that hyperaggressive new car financing is creating a glut of used cars, which in turn is tanking prices and biting financing companies in the rear end. The auto market in general seems exceptionally hosed at the moment thanks to manufacturers pulling out all the stops to build unsustainable demand.

• Locked thread