Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

netflix's anime selection is pretty bad, idk about hulu. I would suggest Madoka Magica though, good dub, short and consistently good throughout, and if you want to make it even shorter you can watch the movies instead of the series.

Hulu is good for older shows and they even had all the ovas and movies for a few series, namely Patlabor and Dirty Pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Motto posted:

it's good because the mod won't know which to probe

actually they say something really dumb and I think corals says it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sure wish I got Hulu in this fail country that is actually better than the country it is available in

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hi!!!!!!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Just use the funimation free trial and watch Baccano

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This isn't a bad place to ask, but you'll probably get more thoughtful responses in the recommendation thread.

Thanks! I'll post there too.

Sorry Corals posted:

come back when youve seen a real anime, kid
:rolleyes:

Terper posted:

Man what anime even has four seasons nowadays
Last time I watched anime for real the US hadn't invaded Iraq and I got it on rented DVDs from the library.

Looks like Baccano is a strong suggestion. I'll check it out! I saw FLCL back in the day. Might be worth checking out again, but I'm not as eager to rewatch things I saw in the bad old days.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 22, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

watch sword art online

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

dubs are (not) good

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Sup anime thread I'm watching Revolutionary Girl Utena for the first time. I'm only an episode in but I'm already super impressed by the visuals and sound design, it's a really cool experience to watch and the OP is fantastic. I checked out the dub of the first episode too and it's pretty endearingly rough but I think I'm gonna stick with subs. I hope the rest of the show is Utena just owning dudes at sports but I think it's supposed to go places? It's almost a shame.

I really like all the rose frame shots.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

*a stop sign zooming past the camera*

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

EGSunBro posted:

Sup anime thread I'm watching Revolutionary Girl Utena for the first time. I'm only an episode in but I'm already super impressed by the visuals and sound design, it's a really cool experience to watch and the OP is fantastic. I checked out the dub of the first episode too and it's pretty endearingly rough but I think I'm gonna stick with subs. I hope the rest of the show is Utena just owning dudes at sports but I think it's supposed to go places? It's almost a shame.

Fencing is a sport.

So yeah.

Also Nanami.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

EGSunBro posted:

Utena is super duper good all around, I hope you have a sweet-cool time. Don't forget the movie when you're done with the show.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

EGSunBro posted:

Oh god does it go places...

As for the dub, the original director himself apparently put a lot of work into making sure it came out okay and wasn't cut/censored/Americanized.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dubz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs-vUrjVBcM

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Utena is one of my all time favs. I wish I could watch it for the first time a couple more times or so.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Not actually as bad as I was expecting. It's actually pretty watchable.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQkoecIzng

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

EGSunBro posted:

:yeah:

:yeah:

:yeah:!!!!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Man I forgot Toukiden 2 also comes out on steam today. There are too many games.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Princess Nine is really good. I'm glad I decided to watch the rest now instead of waiting for the wheel to decide my fate.

I also started Bamboo Blade and Yawara! Maybe sports is the best genre after all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AnoHito posted:

Not actually as bad as I was expecting. It's actually pretty watchable.

Full Moon being "pretty watchable" means it's an extremely bad dub, since the show is amazing.

At least they kept the original music, which is also real good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Princess Nine is really good. I'm glad I decided to watch the rest now instead of waiting for the wheel to decide my fate.

I also started Bamboo Blade and Yawara! Maybe sports is the best genre after all.
opening people's eyes to all kinds of anime was the intention of the wheel, so I Am Glad. smh @ all the people that bailed on full moon

you still should have streamed it though!!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Redline movie. Prob won't be on Netflix, but Amazon should have it.

Watch it, then buy the Blu-Ray. You can thank me later. :kamina:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Dubs are terrible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

My first thought when seeing this image: that's not where the heavyarms' missiles are placed.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

homeless snail posted:

opening people's eyes to all kinds of anime was the intention of the wheel, so I Am Glad. smh @ all the people that bailed on full moon

you still should have streamed it though!!!

Idols are more niche than sports.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cute girls that are good at singing? thats hosed up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
You finally show your true colors, homeless zorak

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Boy and the Beast was good.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Rin rye

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It was glowing red, so that's how you know it's no ordinary single purpose rock.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i'm best friends with erg and i'm here to say, please bully him

That's hosed up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I'm watching anime again for the first time since 2003.

So far, I have watched and enjoyed Cowboy Bebop (A+), Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood (A-), Gurren Lagann (B+), Samurai Champloo(B), and Attack On Titan (B-). I've also tried a couple of other shows, like Trigun, but they didn't really stick with me. Other anime-influenced shows I've enjoyed include Steven Universe and Avatar - The Last Airbender.

Preferences
- technically solid animation
- good music
- gets 'good' fast - (nothing that "really gets good in season 4", please!)
- good english dub
- available on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

None of these rules are dealbreakers. I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I figured I'd start here.

baccano

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What's that anime that did so poorly in Japan when it was localized here they basically told the localization team they could do a Dragon Ball abridged treatment to it?

He should definitely watch that one.

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

baccaNO

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
That was Ghost Stories.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ghost stories was actually successful in japan in terms of tv ratings, it just got dubbed the way it did because adv had no interest in it and were forced to take it in a package deal with saiyuki

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world