Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
How are Frost's guns? I am thinking about getting her as my next operator. That, or Buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Nickname Pending posted:

How are Frost's guns? I am thinking about getting her as my next operator. That, or Buck.

Frost's smg is legit. Buck's also a good operator.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
Frost used to be my most played operator when I first started out and that was partly because her SMG never fails. But more importantly, she has a cool blue hat.

Buck is cool too and pretty underplayed so you should never have trouble selecting him.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Buck is currently my best op. That shotgun/rifle combo just feels really nice and seems like it has a quick answer for most situations.

Frost is solid, basically Kapkan but better. :v:

I need to get better at Fuze. I loving hate that guy, but I'm not as good at him as other people are.

Defense is really where I'm struggling to figure out who I like to play. I started with Kapkan and Mute to just kinda aid in defenses, but I don't feel like I'm using them fully. Pulse is fun but again I'm not great at him. I end up playing Rook most of the time because I love the P90 and I feel like giving my teammates armor is better than most other things I could do, where I'd just place something in the wrong area.

I may pick up Mira next, I really love her windows.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

Zaphod42 posted:

Buck is currently my best op. That shotgun/rifle combo just feels really nice and seems like it has a quick answer for most situations.

Frost is solid, basically Kapkan but better. :v:

I need to get better at Fuze. I loving hate that guy, but I'm not as good at him as other people are.

Defense is really where I'm struggling to figure out who I like to play. I started with Kapkan and Mute to just kinda aid in defenses, but I don't feel like I'm using them fully. Pulse is fun but again I'm not great at him. I end up playing Rook most of the time because I love the P90 and I feel like giving my teammates armor is better than most other things I could do, where I'd just place something in the wrong area.

I may pick up Mira next, I really love her windows.

Mute is one of my mains. Make sure to primarily mute windows and reinforced walls. He is great paired with Castle. Just don't place the jammers out in the open of in the middle of a door like some dumbasses do in casual.

Jager is great because of his gun and is pretty great if you want to try roaming.

If you use Pulse, go for his shotgun. It's great. Also, try to move around and flank the enemy.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers

I played a couple matches with this dude before I think and he just spent the whole time slurring inspirational words at us and rating matches either 1/5 or 5/5

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nickname Pending posted:

If you use Pulse, go for his shotgun. It's great. Also, try to move around and flank the enemy.

Yeah, I really want to play Pulse or Caveira as a roamer who sneaks up behind the enemy like a TF2 spy, but its hard. But so satisfying when it works!

Part of it is I'm just so new to the game, I need to learn all these maps. I love the maps but its a lot to process at once with all the updates. As I learn the maps better I'll get better at flanking and knowing where its safe to go.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Jaeger is a great choice but extremely popular. You can assume practically every defense will have someone playing him. The same can usually be said for Rook/Cav I guess.

If you want to get serious about a support role then Doc would be a cool operator to get into imo. He also has the P90 that you love and compliments Rook very well because he can revive people from a distance with his dart gun.

or you could just...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzO3gNx6sxw

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mira and her Vector are still a ton of fun. Lots of people still don't understand how a Mira window works when next to or on an unreinforced wall or you just vomit so many bullets into them they can't even react.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Mira and her Vector are still a ton of fun. Lots of people still don't understand how a Mira window works when next to or on an unreinforced wall or you just vomit so many bullets into them they can't even react.

Hell, even a lot of people who put their windows on unreinforced walls don't get how it works. I've seen a ton of Miras shoot out their own windows instead of just marking me and shooting through the wall.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

plehsistential posted:

I played a couple matches with this dude before I think and he just spent the whole time slurring inspirational words at us and rating matches either 1/5 or 5/5

Yeah that checks out.

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Am I the only one who thinks it's better to crouch place the mirrors? That way people can't hide under them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

That means you can't hide under them

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Draxion posted:

Hell, even a lot of people who put their windows on unreinforced walls don't get how it works. I've seen a ton of Miras shoot out their own windows instead of just marking me and shooting through the wall.

Ran into a Mira window on an unreinforced wall in Plane (mattress room). Tachanka Had setup his turret on the other side and was wrecking face.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Nickname Pending posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's better to crouch place the mirrors? That way people can't hide under them.

If it gets popped open you're hosed since it becomes so much harder to quick peak with it.

I do use crouching mirrors in a few points so I can stay watching from behind the safety of a shield, but I haven't worked out if it's actually a good strategy or not yet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Tachanka buff: replace his DP-28 with a flamethrower with 10 "bursts" of fuel.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
If there was a flamethrower guy I would poo poo. So many unintentionally roasted hostages.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Malcolm Excellent posted:

If there was a flamethrower guy I would poo poo. So many unintentionally roasted hostages.

Make his primary the flamethrower, make strategic use of shields to protect the hostage/team-mates a thing so he can go wild with it, also make the flamethrower obscure Glaz's new faux-thermals. Maybe give him a double width shield so the hostage can be better protected, or give him two shields and make them easier to sort of snap-together

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Make his primary a flamethrower but also give him a special ability where he can dump gasoline on the floor. (Either limit it to like 2 times or make it cost a significant chunk of ammo)

Then he can set traps and when enemies show up, roast them. Like halfway between Smoke and Frost.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Siege mod for Doom looking good

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/155778120680405936/84ADD868D39277081A19005ADE150DD28C80690C/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Koramei posted:

If it gets popped open you're hosed since it becomes so much harder to quick peak with it.

I do use crouching mirrors in a few points so I can stay watching from behind the safety of a shield, but I haven't worked out if it's actually a good strategy or not yet.

I mostly only do it when the wall is overlooking the stairs or looking down into a lower floor.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah on favelas kitchen I'll do a knee height window overlooking the armored car.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Favelas is awful dogshit and you should throw matches to get out of it as soon as possible. On attacking we're running shotgun recruit/Ash just to leave quicker.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

i love favela. but i also love shooting through walls and constant roaming so...

get some headphones bro!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Thief posted:

i love favela. but i also love shooting through walls and constant roaming so...

get some headphones bro!

Yeah headphones will make up for the worst objective placement possible

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cool, I'm level 20 now and I can do some ranked games. About time, ready for this game to get more serious. Get some teammates with voice chat, actually do callouts, work together instead of a team of solo agents, here we go...

Zaphod's Team posted:

N***** N***** N***** N***** N***** N***** N***** N*****

God loving damnit I just wanted to shoot some mans :smith:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPxI_yXhIE

I'm here to bring the thread back to mediocrity.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Honestly the last six times I was on favelas defenders won meth room. The map just really forces you to defend from outside the objective, but is claustrophobic and doesn't give a whole lot of room to move around. Once the defenders learn to shoot from the other building at the attackers outside they'll do a lot better. The map is unintuitive. But it's not simply lame like Bartlet.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

The map design is really great in this game imo. From what I remember growing up, Rainbow 6 was for the most part always good at making the buildings feel like something you'd actually see rather than some 2fort type poo poo.

The Duggler posted:

Yeah headphones will make up for the worst objective placement possible

putting the hostage in the weed room and killing people with smoke grenades is basically the best thing in the entire game though :350:

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Honestly the last six times I was on favelas defenders won meth room. The map just really forces you to defend from outside the objective, but is claustrophobic and doesn't give a whole lot of room to move around. Once the defenders learn to shoot from the other building at the attackers outside they'll do a lot better. The map is unintuitive. But it's not simply lame like Bartlet.

^ this forreal though, if you just embrace the clusterfuck then it becomes a very fun map to scramble in.

@Hard: how long until we get a map that is like a motel or something? I would love to see a Hong Kong themed market map with a lot of separated buildings and random store debris to explode. I know the main focus of the game is breach and clear but if you aren't going to do a vertically focused map like everyone thought Skyscraper would be then would going in a direction like this ever be a possibility?

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

Thief posted:

@Hard: how long until we get a map that is like a motel or something? I would love to see a Hong Kong themed market map with a lot of separated buildings and random store debris to explode. I know the main focus of the game is breach and clear but if you aren't going to do a vertically focused map like everyone thought Skyscraper would be then would going in a direction like this ever be a possibility?

This would be fantastic.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Thief posted:

Do this, just so people will whine about dying to client side debris.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Hard posted:

I think it's 11 to be precise. He spawns with hum something like 24 bullets?

It's 6 (with a silencer) and he spawns with like 40. I was playing glaz earlier tonight and tested this because I was curious about just how bullshit it was.

I think making castle reinforcements glaz proof would be both a nice nerf to glaz and buff to castle. I think the biggest issue I have with glaz and the most unfun part about him right now is there's next to no counter play in dealing with it on certain maps. When he throws a smoke at a door or window you just need to hide and hope that he's a bad shot.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 23, 2017

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
I've never played a round as Glaz because I am an honorable videogame Samurai and snipers have no honor.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It is getting boring seeing him in every round though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Hey if I bought the starter edition on Steam and noticed afterwards that I could have payed $10 for the standard edition on uplay I'm hosed right? Just asking to make sure before I (probably) drop the $46 CAD on funbucks to unlock all the base operators

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Hey if I bought the starter edition on Steam and noticed afterwards that I could have payed $10 for the standard edition on uplay I'm hosed right? Just asking to make sure before I (probably) drop the $46 CAD on funbucks to unlock all the base operators

Worst case, create a new uplay account?

Please do not spend $46 for the base operators holy poo poo.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
There should really be a reasonable "upgrade from starter edition" thing because starter edition existing as is would only make sense if the base game never went on sale.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Anyone got some advice for how to defend that loving pool table room on house? I've come to the conclusion that it is more than just the hardest room to defend in the game - its not even possible. I don't know if I have ever seen the defenders win there ever. It just cant be done. Nevermind, don't give me any advice it would all be lies. The room is indefensible. Thanks for hearing me out ok bye.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Anyone got some advice for how to defend that loving pool table room on house? I've come to the conclusion that it is more than just the hardest room to defend in the game - its not even possible. I don't know if I have ever seen the defenders win there ever. It just cant be done. Nevermind, don't give me any advice it would all be lies. The room is indefensible. Thanks for hearing me out ok bye.
Much like other poo poo rooms, or most other rooms in general, the secret to defend it is to be elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMP
May 5, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

Just hold the top floor generally and hope to get some good picks. Don't stay in the pool room itself. I've had great luck hiding behind the bar in the room adjacent. You can cover the doorway and hallway.

• Locked thread