Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
re: train transportation, my 1940 infantry manual has ten pages on how men, horses and carts are loaded into cars and what an army train's layout looks like. I can scan and translate it if there's interest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
My father (of the possibly-apocryphal Vietnam stories including "countersniping with an antitank gun" &c), has had some health problems lately. Blood clots in the lungs, apparently the same thing that killed T. Roosevelt.

But as was said of TR, "Death had to take him sleeping, otherwise there would have been a fight," my pa was awake at the time.

Maybe once he's back at home his afternoon I can finally convince him to write a memoir. Hegal, if you want to PM me words of encouragement for him to write the thing from your historian POV, now is the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not a historian but I would say that the trend of time is to bury the horror of war and dramatize or invent glory. Truthful accounts are a precious commodity in a country where there has been no full scale war in living memory.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

As far as I know, the 1906 Aufmarschen drawn up by the von Schlieffen-directed General Staff were based mostly on tabletop exercises and staff rides, but I don't know very far; certainly if there's any records of a long-distance cross-country marching exercise to check that men could actually physically do what was being demanded of them, then they've never made it into English-language histories. (They do seem to have been much more interested in theoretical wargaming than large-scale practical field exercises like the contemporary British Army Manoeuvres.)

It pleases me immensely how German this is

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You don't spend months painting an army and then NOT play with it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Trin Tragula posted:

As far as I know, the 1906 Aufmarschen drawn up by the von Schlieffen-directed General Staff were based mostly on tabletop exercises and staff rides, but I don't know very far; certainly if there's any records of a long-distance cross-country marching exercise to check that men could actually physically do what was being demanded of them, then they've never made it into English-language histories. (They do seem to have been much more interested in theoretical wargaming than large-scale practical field exercises like the contemporary British Army Manoeuvres.)

Having to let the Kaiser win any wargame he was in probably didn't help either.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

It pleases me immensely how German this is

But a large scale tabletop game isn't pricier than an army scale field simulation and Germans aren't known for cost cutting measures though! (Unless of course they were using GW miniatures and therefore it would be cheaper to just pay actual soldiers).

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Cease it, GWailures :argh:

So I saw Bitva Za Sevastopol today, after someone itt recommended it. It's.. really Russian. :haw: I'm glad it was both critical of Soviet leadership and not horrible towards the jewish character 100% of the time :eng99:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nenonen posted:

re: train transportation, my 1940 infantry manual has ten pages on how men, horses and carts are loaded into cars and what an army train's layout looks like. I can scan and translate it if there's interest?

post that poo poo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Plutonis posted:

But a large scale tabletop game isn't pricier than an army scale field simulation and Germans aren't known for cost cutting measures though! (Unless of course they were using GW miniatures and therefore it would be cheaper to just pay actual soldiers).

The Germans I know are convinced that if it works in the lab it must work exactly that way in real life, so the tabletop wargaming thing is extremely German to me.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Plutonis posted:

Only the finest lead figurines for the Kaiser.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I went to the Armería Real in Madrid and the armor and weaponry collection there is magnificent. Great props to the captured standards from the Turkish Navy at Lepanto, the various jousting armors that Charles V had and the gigantic muskets used to defend the walls during a siege

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 21, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Germans I know are convinced that if it works in the lab it must work exactly that way in real life, so the tabletop wargaming thing is extremely German to me.

Yeah it's that very precisely calculating the movement of spherical divisions in a vacuum thing that's doing it for me.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Plutonis posted:

Also I went to the Armería Real in Madrid and the armor and weaponry collection there is magnificent. Great props to the captured standards from the Turkish Navy at Lepanto, the various jousting armors that Charles V had and the gigantic muskets used to defend the walls during a siege

Did they have bows from Lepanto on display? The Correr museum in Italy had several hundred of those in the depot. Only a few made it through the centuries.

Lepanto is interesting, it was the final straw that made the Ottomans drop the bow as the main weapon in favor of firearms.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"Yeah, just stack those centuries old bows in that pile over there :geno:..."

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Somebody took it upon himself a drew a curve of the inventory and apparently the last 150 years or so really wrecked that poo poo. What's interesting about those red and black ones is, that it's bows that were used by simple soldiers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Did they have bows from Lepanto on display? The Correr museum in Italy had several hundred of those in the depot. Only a few made it through the centuries.

Lepanto is interesting, it was the final straw that made the Ottomans drop the bow as the main weapon in favor of firearms.

Only two of them! A shame, the Turkish composite bow was probably the best one ever made and it had an amazing ranhe.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taerkar posted:

Only the finest lead figurines for the Kaiser.

I think HG Wells invented the first modern tabletop war game so it seems possible

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think HG Wells invented the first modern tabletop war game so it seems possible

HG Wells was pretty much GW before GW.

Seriously look at the photographs of his war game stuff.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

My understanding is that it wiped out such a huge proportion of their skilled naval archers that they couldn't have stuck with the bow if they wanted to.

The ships they replaced surprisingly quickly but the men couldn't be.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wow

quote:

My 39-year-old son is an officer in the military, but he has never asked about my story or shown any interest in it. I worry that when my friends, my comrades and I are all dead, our history and our stories will die with us.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There was another really good NYT article a few years back about the handful of people maintaining ARVN graves/memorials. If the winners aren't even being remembered you can imagine what's happened to the losing side's stories.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

incorrect: a dude named von Reisswitz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsspiel_(wargame)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HG Wells was the first one to popularise it as an actual game, like, something you did for fun. For 'boys and the sort of girl who likes to act like a boy', or something like that. Also played at scale on either a playroom floor or out in the garden rather than tabletop; the man thought big (and he was operating with 54mm OG tin soldiers, of course).

Edit:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/3691/3691-h/3691-h.htm

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

SeanBeansShako posted:

HG Wells was pretty much GW before GW.

Seriously look at the photographs of his war game stuff.

The game is available on Project Gutenberg.

Also a tabletop wargamer: Peter Cushing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
one of the original kriegsspiel sets
http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/kriegsspiel-die-rollenspiel-kommode-fotostrecke-42723.html

i think this dude was the reason NATO symbols look the way they do, but i'm not sure. i know that he's the reason opponents are represented as red and blue.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

echopapa posted:

Also a tabletop wargamer: Peter Cushing.

This is the most delightful thing I've seen all day

I was gonna qualify it like feedmegin did but it is legit impressive none the less, considering it uses hexes for the battlefield, and a kinda-sorta dungeon master (!)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

feedmegin posted:

For 'boys and the sort of girl who likes to act like a boy', or something like that.

Even better:

Little Wars; a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books

edit: and the opening paragraph is even worse!:

It can be played by boys of every age from twelve to one hundred and fifty—and even later if the limbs remain sufficiently supple—by girls of the better sort, and by a few rare and gifted women.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 22, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Huh, I wonder if that's an early example of the "Girls with guns" trope where its spun as a positive.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was gonna qualify it like feedmegin did but it is legit impressive none the less, considering it uses hexes for the battlefield, and a kinda-sorta dungeon master (!)
also the first instance of dice tables

not only did this invent both military wargaming and fantasy wargaming, it was the first wargame to get beyond the idea that a wargame needed to be some sort of chess variant

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Speaking of Germans and wargames, I've got a strange German and military question.

If the etymology for landsknecht is basically "land" & "grunt", would a sci-fi mercenary spacemen be called Weltraumsknect?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rockopolis posted:

Speaking of Germans and wargames, I've got a strange German and military question.

If the etymology for landsknecht is basically "land" & "grunt", would a sci-fi mercenary spacemen be called Weltraumsknect?
knecht in the military context is usually a term of honor for infantry. it's respectful. "servant of the land."

and if the space force descends from an air force which regarded itself as symbolic cavalry they wouldn't use it. infantry only.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

chitoryu12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcggNe-SEXU

D-Day footage that's been digitally enhanced to be HD and 60 FPS. Gets into combat footage around 23 minutes in, from machine guns raking troops to people jumping off sinking landing craft.

This is really neat, thanks for linking it.

Some interesting moments:
The most :staredog: strafing run I've ever seen. Debris from the explosion hits the guncam

Field artillery firing from landing craft

At 26:40 a pair of Renault UEs roll by the camera

Also in the recommended videos there's 45 minutes of Jack Lieb narrating his footage which I haven't seen before.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HEY GAIL posted:

knecht in the military context is usually a term of honor for infantry. it's respectful. "servant of the land."

and if the space force descends from an air force which regarded itself as symbolic cavalry they wouldn't use it. infantry only.

So Weltraumskavallerie?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

There was another really good NYT article a few years back about the handful of people maintaining ARVN graves/memorials. If the winners aren't even being remembered you can imagine what's happened to the losing side's stories.
i really hope that the woman in the article is doing the usual bitching about the younger generation/your kids and that the dynamics within her own family don't reflect the atmosphere in the country at large. history is the most precious thing we have.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, I see it's time for the annual forums game of "Spot the actual historian" :v:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
im not a very smart man can someone set out what Straight Black Kaiser actually is? I've seen it used several times and can't work it out

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quite stretched out posted:

im not a very smart man can someone set out what Straight Black Kaiser actually is? I've seen it used several times and can't work it out

Lmao just lmao at this post. Try reading a book lmao

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quite stretched out posted:

Gay Black Hitler is sort of a catch-all in this thread for "hey what if <insert incredibly improbable thing here> were to happen, could Germany have won WW2?"

Straight Black Kaiser is the new WW1 equivalent, seems to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Elyv posted:

Gay Black Hitler is sort of a catch-all in this thread for "hey what if <insert incredibly improbable thing here> were to happen, could Germany have won WW2?"

Straight Black Kaiser is the new WW1 equivalent, seems to me.

thank you, kind and honourable poster