Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

powderific posted:

It puts me in the weird position where I might have to spend enough on rentals over the next month and a half to make the price of a Varicam LT now about the same as an Ursa Mini Pro + renting till we're through this big push. The Varicam LT has been the main camera we're considering for a while so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad move, but the Ursa Mini Pro looked perfect for us and it's soooo much cheaper.

I don't know if you've worked with the LTs much, but I've shot a ton with them and my number one piece of advice is to get a nice, big shoulder pad if you want to do much handheld. The ones the LTs come with are kinda hard and start digging into you if you're running around with them for too long.

That said, I love shooting on them. The detachable top monitor/controller is surprisingly useful even if the swivel is pretty limited in range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've only had one on a shoot once, but it was 8 very long days so I got a pretty good feel for it. Mostly low mode handheld from the top handle so not a lot of shoulder action. If we got one I think we'd go with someone else's shoulder mount setup since panasonic's costs a fortune.

On our shoot I put the monitor on a ballhead in the same location as the swivel and it worked waaay better IMO.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

keyframe posted:

Yea shouldn't take months man. This bm guy posted on their official forum saying they will be full filling orders very fast. Hope you get yours soon.

Just sent our Mini back and ordered the Mini Pro. Guy on phone said the same as you. They're shipping them as they come in and he expects ours to ship tomorrow or the next day.

edit: Also what sold my boss was the B4 mount. We can now use our old Fujinon Varicam lenses sitting there gathering dust!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 13, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Noooo, you guys must have gotten into the queue way before I did.

I think we're gonna wind up renting and not buy anything. Wah wah.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I think mine is shipping tomorrow. It's going to be one long weekend. :(

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also lol you can bundle a PL Mount Ursa 4k in with the Ursa Mini for only $500 more. Talk about fire sale.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325261-REG/blackmagic_design_bmd_cineursamupro46k_pl_bdl_ursa_mini_pro_and.html

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't care for the 4k sensor but even so that seems like a great deal.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Lot of schools and other institutions gonna be all over that one.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BonoMan posted:

Also lol you can bundle a PL Mount Ursa 4k in with the Ursa Mini for only $500 more. Talk about fire sale.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1325261-REG/blackmagic_design_bmd_cineursamupro46k_pl_bdl_ursa_mini_pro_and.html

That's worth it for an extra copy of davinci alone. Was going to switch my order to that but they told me it would put me on the back of the order queue and I need the camera fast for a project we are shooting. :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wonder of wonders Ablecine actually did get my Mini Pro in today. The salesguy was extremely surprised. Maybe Blackmagic really has learned their lesson?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

powderific posted:

Wonder of wonders Ablecine actually did get my Mini Pro in today. The salesguy was extremely surprised. Maybe Blackmagic really has learned their lesson?

I am still waiting for a shipment notification. I think the snowstorm in ny hosed me over. :(

Looking forward to your impressions.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aw, bummer dude. I actually put in a preorder with B&H too since they seemed way more confident than Ablecine that they'd be getting cameras in. Glad Ablecine got it though as I've put their salespeople through a lot.

It won't be here till Wednesday though and I might not even be able to do anything with it then. I just ordered the body since I wasn't sure if it'd happen in time for our production. If it didn't I was just going to cancel, rent something else, and reevaluate in a few months. I won't have a way to turn the camera on until we finish the rest of our order.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Mine shipped just now! :v:

Got everything minus the cfast card in preparation. I think I will stick with sd cards until NAB where they hopefully announce the price and release date of the SSD attachment. I can't get myself to pay for the stupid expensive cfast cards.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

keyframe posted:

Mine shipped just now! :v:

Got everything minus the cfast card in preparation. I think I will stick with sd cards until NAB where they hopefully announce the price and release date of the SSD attachment. I can't get myself to pay for the stupid expensive cfast cards.

Let us know how the Ursa Mini Pro turns out.

(especially me because I'm thinking about buying one)

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Is fixed pattern noise still an issue on BMD's newer cameras or did they eventually figure that out?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well I have mine but no battery plate or c-fast cards. Been too busy to do anything other than take it out of the box and turn it on with the AC adapter. Immediately I have a bit of a concern in that the display flickers a little bit and there are vertical lines on the LCD. I'm hoping it's a power issue due to the AC adapter. Have to wait and see once the battery plate arrives. Doesn't seem to affect the recorded image though so that's good.

Overall it feels a bit flimsy, kinda like the Sony FS cams and a notch below cameras in the Varicam level (and my Nikon DSLRs honestly.) It'll probably be fine and I'm sure I'll just get used to it though. A huge bonus for me is that the EF mount works perfectly with my cheapo fotodiox F > EF lens adapters. So far the only other camera they've worked well on is the Varicam. For actual canon cameras and metabones adapters they tend to get REALLY stuck if you're not lucky.

Hopefully I'll have the battery plates and poo poo by the time I'm back in the office Monday so I can give it a real test. I cannot over express how excited I am to have built in ND filters and not have to gently caress around with screwing on vari-nds anymore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Woop our Ursa Mini Pro finally loving shipped. Just in time!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Mine gets delivered tomorrow. Hope this $500 (canadian) EGO Pro 256gb cfast card I bought actually works because the price was like one thirds of any other 256gb card.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Got the camera today. It is built like a tank. Powder did you feel the metal switch buttons are flimsy because the rest of the camera is built like you can break an anvil with it.

Things I like:

-Lots of external controls and programmable buttons.

-The menu OS is amazing. Shits on every other camera I used. No diving into menu after menu, everything is accessible and changeable in seconds.

-Image quality was absolutely amazing in the short tests I shot so far. Can't wait for the weekend to do a proper shoot with studio lighting. I didn't see any magenta cast whatsoever.

-Internal ND filters are the best.

-Good weight , with a lighter lens you can handheld without much strain. I will install the shoulder rig this weekend and see how that feels.

Things that can be improved:

-The side buttons are kinda hard to tell from each other by touch in my early days of using the camera. I kept hitting the side record button by accident number of times. I will look into if it is possible to map that to something else.

-the metal switch buttons are kinda hard to dial down because you have to stick your finger into that small crevice and you end up bumping it up by accident. Also the iris dial gets obscured by the lcd screen when it's open but I guess those buttons are meant to be used on a shoulder rig with the lcd closed.

-Handle should have had more adjustment options.

-I would have liked to have a bigger LCD but the UMP lcd is totally workable. I just wish it was an inch bigger.

I am sure I will have more to add as I use the camera but it is a really good bang for the buck from what I used so far. I think BM is finally learning to make actual usable cameras and it is good times for us indie shooters.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Any issues with fixed pattern noise?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Got the camera today. It is built like a tank. Powder did you feel the metal switch buttons are flimsy because the rest of the camera is built like you can break an anvil with it.

I think for me it was the screen, the metal switch buttons, and some of the other dials. I'm also perhaps unfairly judging it against the Varicam LT, which costs twice as much, since that was what I had planned on getting before the mini pro came out. The body doesn't feel as sturdy to me but some of that might be my perceptions skewing based on the buttons/screen.

My batteries and whatnot should arrive today and I actually have some time so I can pull the thing out of the closet it's been sitting in since it arrived.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

VoodooXT posted:

Any issues with fixed pattern noise?

No issue with fpn in my initial tests but I will do more through testing this weekend.

powderific posted:

I think for me it was the screen, the metal switch buttons, and some of the other dials. I'm also perhaps unfairly judging it against the Varicam LT, which costs twice as much, since that was what I had planned on getting before the mini pro came out. The body doesn't feel as sturdy to me but some of that might be my perceptions skewing based on the buttons/screen.

My batteries and whatnot should arrive today and I actually have some time so I can pull the thing out of the closet it's been sitting in since it arrived.

Awesome man looking forward to hear what you think after shooting with it. What lenses are you going to be using? I only have the sigma 18-35 at the moment and getting a rokinon 85mm cine today.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ours should be in tomorrow, toot toot!

Luckily we're still fully kitted out from the Mini we bought two weeks prior.

We did some tests with our Epic Dragon and surprisingly the footage was able to cut in pretty well (with the Mini so I assume the same with the Mini Pro).

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
We've been running the Mini Pro alongside our kitted out Mini for a multi-day shoot this week and it's just been wonderful. I'm really enjoying the exterior iris control and the many physical buttons that have been added for controls and functions that were formerly hidden behind a menu.

Also, oh my GOD the fact that it can shoot to SD cards has been an absolute lifesaver this week. This shoot doesn't require anything more than 2k shooting and we only have a few 256gb CF cards so the fact that we could just toss a few 128gb SDXC cards in there and call it a day has been so easy.

I think we're going to be pretty drat happy with our Ursa Mini/Mini Pro setup going into the future.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keyframe posted:

Awesome man looking forward to hear what you think after shooting with it. What lenses are you going to be using? I only have the sigma 18-35 at the moment and getting a rokinon 85mm cine today.

I'll be using Nikon mount Zeiss lenses from my stills cameras. 21mm milvus, 25mm zf.2 f2, 35mm milvus, 50mm macro milvus, 100mm zf.2, and then a Nikon 17-35 2.8. It's feeling pretty nice now that I've got the battery on it. I can unfortunately confirm that my LCD screen has a loose connection as it still flickers and has weird lines on it while external monitors and the recording do not. I think I might just live with it for a bit as I don't think I'd be able to get it repaired in time for my upcoming shoots.

Really excited for the camera despite the annoying LCD issue.

edit: what's everyone doing for rigging on this thing? I'd like to get more 1/4 20 mounts on it without sacrificing the top handle.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I currently use the Manfrotto quick release plates on my MVH200AH. But I'm considering a switch to the Arca Swiss quick release plate system. But I don't know anything about the Arca Swiss system. Will Arca Swiss plates fit onto my MVH500AH tripod head?

And also- Arca Swiss plates look like they're quite small. Can they be used with a camcorder (like a Sony FS5), or are they only meant to be used with smaller DSLR/mirrorless bodies?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 31, 2017

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Hey guys I don't have access to the manual right now. Does the ursa mini pro menu dial on the front side not do anything or is mine broken?

Edit: the manual pdf finally loaded on my phone. Apparently that button is only to access camera menu functions on a external display. It would have been cool if they let us map the iris dial to that.

melon cat posted:

I currently use the Manfrotto quick release plates on my MVH200AH. But I'm considering a switch to the Arca Swiss quick release plate system. But I don't know anything about the Arca Swiss system. Will Arca Swiss plates fit onto my MVH500AH tripod head?

And also- Arca Swiss plates look like they're quite small. Can they be used with a camcorder (like a Sony FS5), or are they only meant to be used with smaller DSLR/mirrorless bodies?

I believe the shoulder mounts for the fs5 (at least the ones I have seen) have the V-Wedge connector so you would need a Sony VCT-14 quick release plate. It is expensive but worth every penny imo.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 31, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

Arca Swiss plates are not even close to the same size at the manfrotto plates. You would need to put an arca Swiss clamp adapter thing in a manfrotto plate to get it on there. The fs5 is small enough that it'd probably be fine, but I dunno how much you gain from making that switch. It's definitely more of a photography thing.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I was worried that it won't work well but I came to realize after today that this manfrotto monopod with video head was a really good investment for walk around/quick setup shooting with the Ursa mini pro.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to shoot a short video for class. Not a film class, im very new. What are some very basic tips to get the best look? I want the most filmy pro look i can achieve w whatever bullshit equipment we get. 24fps for sure right? I do have experience w coloring at least.itll mostly be filmed at dawn.
Is there a good trick for lowlight w poo poo equipment? Or is it going to automatically look like trash?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ButtWolf posted:

I have to shoot a short video for class. Not a film class, im very new. What are some very basic tips to get the best look? I want the most filmy pro look i can achieve w whatever bullshit equipment we get. 24fps for sure right? I do have experience w coloring at least.itll mostly be filmed at dawn.
Is there a good trick for lowlight w poo poo equipment? Or is it going to automatically look like trash?

You can get a "filmy pro look" with an iphone if you know how to light and compose your shots. If you don't, even if you shoot with a Alexa it will look like poo poo. Basically there are no shortcuts sorry. But yea shooting 24fps is a good place to start.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

keyframe posted:

You can get a "filmy pro look" with an iphone if you know how to light and compose your shots. If you don't, even if you shoot with a Alexa it will look like poo poo. Basically there are no shortcuts sorry. But yea shooting 24fps is a good place to start.

Yeah i didnt really mean shortcuts per se, more like making the most of lovely situation. Ill just come to terms that its gona suck. Its for an English Comp class anyway so I don't really care.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
New firmware update out for ursa mini pro that activates the "still" button and lets you take dng raw stills.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What is a good upgrade from a DSLR?

I have a 600D/T3I rebel and it does the job pretty well especially with Magic Lantern installed but I've been considering upgrading to something that is primarily meant for video instead of a still camera that does pretty good video.

Primarily I'm looking for better low light and dynamic range. I usually record my sound seperately so a XLR connection isn't necessary and although 4K would be very nice 1080 is good enough for my purposes.

I'm leaning towards getting something from Black Magic though I hear that the Pocket Camera is a huge bother when it comes to battery life. Also all of my lenses are for a Canon DSLR so I wouldn´t be able to use them at least not without some sort of adapter. The BM Cinema camera would also be an option but it looks clunky as heck and would come with most of the same problems. My lenses would fit a C100 but it would cost a lot more which might be worth it but I'm not sure.

Any advice?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 22, 2017

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
What's your budget and what do you use it for?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

FreudianSlippers posted:

What is a good upgrade from a DSLR?

I have a 600D/T3I rebel and it does the job pretty well especially with Magic Lantern installed but I've been considering upgrading to something that is primarily meant for video instead of a still camera that does pretty good video.

Primarily I'm looking for better low light and dynamic range. I usually record my sound seperately so a XLR connection isn't necessary and although 4K would be very nice 1080 is good enough for my purposes.

I'm leaning towards getting something from Black Magic though I hear that the Pocket Camera is a huge bother when it comes to battery life. Also all of my lenses are for a Canon DSLR so I wouldn´t be able to use them at least not without some sort of adapter. The BM Cinema camera would also be an option but it looks clunky as heck and would come with most of the same problems. My lenses would fit a C100 but it would cost a lot more which might be worth it but I'm not sure.

Any advice?

Everyone I know that has a BMPCC absolutely love it but they will all readily admit that it generally requires at the very least a battery workaround, which does exist and allows you to use Canon and Sony batteries instead which last longer and are cheap and plentiful. The subreddit for it has a lot of good info for it if you decide to go that route.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Hey powder and keyframe, any further words about the Ursa Mini Pro since you guys have had it for like 2 months now?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VoodooXT posted:

Hey powder and keyframe, any further words about the Ursa Mini Pro since you guys have had it for like 2 months now?

We love ours. That is all! Seriously it's pretty. We have some ongoing projects we've shot with it that are pretty sweet. I'll post them once complete (they're kinda boring University stuff but they show it off pretty well).

Seriously great investment.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

BonoMan posted:

We love ours. That is all! Seriously it's pretty. We have some ongoing projects we've shot with it that are pretty sweet. I'll post them once complete (they're kinda boring University stuff but they show it off pretty well).

Seriously great investment.

Yeah, I got to play with it at NAB last month and I really liked the controls and the image quality. It's definitely pushed me towards getting one myself, but I'm really trying to make sure that the investment is really going to be worth (and not give me FPN or magenta headaches) and that I actually have the money for it if I do end up buying a set of Sigma cinema primes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VoodooXT posted:

Relatively happy with it. Spent three weeks on the road with it shooting in forests which was cool. The flickering lcd screen problem I had initially has gone away—I think the gimbal auto tuning shook whatever was loose back into place.

Fixed pattern noise has popped up at 1600 on my sensor. Trying to figure out with BM support if I can get it to go away through careful black balancing. So far it seems like the main way to avoid it is overexpose to the point that I may as well have shot at 800 anyway. The problem is exacerbated by the built in LUT for the film gamma having really gross highlights and making the lut-ed image look better underexposed a touch. Haven't noticed a magenta cast but I guess I'm in the minority in that correcting for that wouldn't bother me too much.

Ergonomically pretty happy with it. Adjusting audio levels is a little finicky—I wish it had hard stops. Last shoot we were on timecode was drifting so we had to use a sync box (I'm not that experienced with real time code so I can't hazard any guesses as to what's going on.) EVF is pretty great, though I wish it worked with different top plates easier. Speaking of top plates the camera could really use more mounting points that aren't on the handle.

Image quality is good other than the FPN. We've mostly been shooting prores 422 and been very happy for the money spent. Our alternatives were either an FS5 or a Varicam LT. Other than low light capability and weight, I like pretty much everything about it more than the FS5. The Varicam LT is more of an interesting comparison. Ergonomically I think the Mini Pro is actually quite a bit better than the Varicam LT. It's definitely a better size/shape too as it was much easier to get onto gimbals and doesn't have the awkward control panel. Really, really miss the super clean ISO5000 out of the varicam though. Dream scenario Panasonic's new camera has the Varicam LT sensor but uses cheaper media and we get that too. Or a new FS5 with better 4k codec.

One major positive is that I've had no stability issues at all. Have also lost power mid shot and it didn't kill the card or shot.

For the money I think it's great. Nothing else really hits the same price/capability ratio in my mind. Just be real sure about how much low light capability you need.