Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i should note that they actually have a specific type for "social security number"

typing this out i am realizing i typed my ssn into a pm for literally no reason or gain at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So 1password is the best? Maybe I will get off LastPass. Does 1password have any iOS integration? I was liking being able to fill passwords from lastpass.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snowy posted:

So 1password is the best? Maybe I will get off LastPass. Does 1password have any iOS integration? I was liking being able to fill passwords from lastpass.

I think 1password is more supported than LastPass, actually.

Not entirely sure, though, since I can't use it since their browser extension requires a separate app running. :rolleyes:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Snowy posted:

1Password is great on iOS. A lot of apps have 1P integration so you just tap a button in the app, and you can fill stuff in Safari from the share menu.

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if you use a password manager in 2017.

lol if you don't. Have fun changing all your passwords every time something you use gets breached! (Which is like every day these days)

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if you use a password manager in 2017.

yeah i keep all my passwords in a composition notebook in my jansport backpack with a lock on it that i take everywhere it's super convenient and secure

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a currently recommended photo exif or metadata editor? Just need to change the time/datestamp on a bunch of imported pictures. I'm happy to pay for it, I just want something that works without a lot of suffering. This isn't a time zone shift, its correcting a bunch of time stamps to be "time taken" rather than "time imported."

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
Is there a calendar app that uses text-to-speech to announce appointments at the alarm time, the same way incoming callers are (optionally) announced when they call?

I'm only finding apps that set appointments using speech-to-text; I'm looking for the opposite. I want to hear "Conference Call: Website" when that event triggers instead of a generic "ding".

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I really miss the earlier days of iOS when Apple's Free App of the week would occasionally be a super useful utility instead of a game like 99% of the time.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

onionradish posted:

Is there a calendar app that uses text-to-speech to announce appointments at the alarm time, the same way incoming callers are (optionally) announced when they call?

I'm only finding apps that set appointments using speech-to-text; I'm looking for the opposite. I want to hear "Conference Call: Website" when that event triggers instead of a generic "ding".

I would give you a confident no, never heard of that feature. Might be something for the "code a tiny app" thread somewhere here on SA.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Is there a (reliable) app that will not only tell me when it's going to rain but how much of the rain I should drink to stay hydrated?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Overcast

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pokémon Go

Weedle
May 31, 2006

More fun LastPass stuff:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1209

Tldr: Google nerd Tavis Ormandy noticed that anybody can force the LastPass Chrome extension to run commands such as copying and pasting passwords or execute arbitrary code. He whipped up a proof-of-concept that launches calc.exe, but when he sent it to LastPass they said they couldn't reproduce it. Turns out they tried to run it on a Mac. Quite the brain trust over there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sounds like they have good taste in computer operating systems.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Weedle posted:

More fun LastPass stuff:

Tldr: Google nerd Tavis Ormandy noticed that anybody can force the LastPass Chrome extension to run commands such as copying and pasting passwords or execute arbitrary code. He whipped up a proof-of-concept that launches calc.exe, but when he sent it to LastPass they said they couldn't reproduce it. Turns out they tried to run it on a Mac. Quite the brain trust over there.

Haha Jesus Christ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Weedle posted:

More fun LastPass stuff:

1Password 4 life.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

How does 1Pass integrate with Safari on iOS?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

obi_ant posted:

How does 1Pass integrate with Safari on iOS?

You get the app shortcut on the menu for easy auto-fill

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

1Password 4 life.

Yep. Until they force me to switch to their cloud hosted version

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Wheezle posted:

Yep. Until they force me to switch to their cloud hosted version

They haven't yet fortunately!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Weedle posted:

More fun LastPass stuff:

And another one

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

But but but it's so easy! (To have your data stolen).

Plus that other guy in here who always brings up 1Pass doesn't work with his work poo poo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

And here I thought LastPass being purchased by LogMeIn would doom it to a slow death of tiered payment structures and arbitrary restrictions. Instead it's going to die due to being unable to fulfill the basic function of not broadcasting your passwords to anyone with a website and some javascript.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

But but but it's so easy! (To have your data stolen).

Plus that other guy in here who always brings up 1Pass doesn't work with his work poo poo.

That's me. I switched to KeePass, which is a massive pain in the rear end, but at least it has a browser extension and doesn't require me to install anything else.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
ios users gonna keep using what they want. last pass has that it just works apple asthetic so i know it still has all you suckers.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
1P does that better than LastPass though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

1password was the first to get iOS integration too, so I figure it's got a bigger share for that reason alone.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

That's me. I switched to KeePass, which is a massive pain in the rear end, but at least it has a browser extension and doesn't require me to install anything else.

Why do you care so much about the installation again? Not picking just curious

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GoldfishStew posted:

Why do you care so much about the installation again? Not picking just curious

Because unless I'm missing something, the 1pass extension literally doesn't work without installing a separate app which I can't do on my work computer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

Because unless I'm missing something, the 1pass extension literally doesn't work without installing a separate app which I can't do on my work computer.
I'll admit this bugs the hell out of me. I just use my phone to look up the password and manually type it in, but it would be quite nice to be able to access things from my browser without paying a subscription fee.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Are you syncing with Dropbox or is that stupid as well?

edit: apparently not?
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/26967/how-safe-is-my-data-when-i-sync-via-dropbox

Xabi fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 22, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, putting your vault in a cloud storage service is kinda stupid. If Dropbox ever gets owned who knows who can snatch your files and spend a hundred years trying to brute force it open.

But it is a huge quality of life improvement so it comes down to deciding if the convenience is worth the risk.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Ok, thanks.

If Dropbox syncing is kind of stupid then I guess the regular cloud syncing is stupid as well? How should I use 1password safely then and without too much hassle? Wifi syncing? Store the vault in a local folder on a computer?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not saying to not use Dropbox syncing, I sure as heck do because I don't want to carry a usb drive with me everywhere. Just be aware that there are risks (there are always risks).

But yes, the "safest" option is to only store the vault on hardware you control 100%.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'll admit this bugs the hell out of me. I just use my phone to look up the password and manually type it in, but it would be quite nice to be able to access things from my browser without paying a subscription fee.
In addition to the security of using unique passwords, a good part of why I use a password is specifically so I *don't* have to manually type in 24-plus-digit randomized passwords. Not having that option is a nonstarter to me.

Xabi posted:

Ok, thanks.

If Dropbox syncing is kind of stupid then I guess the regular cloud syncing is stupid as well? How should I use 1password safely then and without too much hassle? Wifi syncing? Store the vault in a local folder on a computer?
I think you missed the joke. The stored vault is encrypted using AES, which, at least with current methods, is functionally unbreakable. Even if someone breaks Dropbox and gets your vault, they can't really do anything with it if you have an even slightly good password on it. If you want an idea of how long it would take to crack it via brute force, here's someone doing the calculations on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/theydidthemath/comments/1x50xl/time_and_energy_required_to_bruteforce_a_aes256/

The short version is you'll be dead, as will your children, and grandchildren, and the planet as a whole. And that's if someone is using 1 billion GPUs to do it.

The real answer here is unless you are someone extremely visible and important, no one is going to make the effort. Hacking, like most things, is a crime of convenience, not targeting in most cases.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
And if you're changing your password every few months (as you should) by the time they crack it it'll be out of date.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dupersaurus posted:

And if you're changing your password every few months (as you should) by the time they crack it it'll be out of date.

Also you'll be dead as will this gay earth.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

Ok, thanks.

Always remember that when someone says "the cloud" they mean "someone else's computer".

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
You guys sound like the privacytools reddit or something. Dropbox's poo poo is encrypted at rest (but Condoleezza Rice can still see your dick pics), and 1Password encrypts your password database before sending it to Dropbox in the first place. You're not storing the ballistic launch codes, and you're not being targeted by a state agency. Using 1Password via Dropbox sync is safe and fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But no one's saying it's not fine so what are you getting all crabby about?