Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

They're guerrillas rather than terrorists, I would say. The terms describe tactics. Whom are the rebels trying to terrorize? They are only ever seen attacking military targets.

I guess things get a bit more ambiguous in Rebels and Rogue One.

Agreed. The Rebels are always shown attacking the military and not civilians. We also see them fighting more conventionally, with uniformed soldiers in a military structure. They remind me more like the Continental Army in the American Revolution or the Confederacy in the Civil War rather than traditional terrorist groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

thrawn527 posted:

The Empire's goal is to rule through fear. Show me where the Republic ruled through the same of level fear as the Death Star.

I find this a strange thing to ask for as they are the same thing, except one is (ironically) unmasked; the Phantom Menace exposed.

You only have to look at the first few minutes of Episode One to see the Trade Federation executives react with fear when they discover that the "representatives" the Republic have sent to negotiate are in fact Jedi Knights.

The negotiations will be short, because these Federation-types are cowards.

The Empire's goal is to rule. Fear is merely an effective method through both Republic and Imperial periods (and beyond).

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Illegal Clown posted:

Agreed. The Rebels are always shown attacking the military and not civilians. We also see them fighting more conventionally, with uniformed soldiers in a military structure. They remind me more like the Continental Army in the American Revolution or the Confederacy in the Civil War rather than traditional terrorist groups.

How would you characterize ISIL or FARC or the Kurdistan Worker's Party?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I would characterise the Kurdistan Worker's party, as very good

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Alderaan was asking for it.

They pulled a Greedo

Never pull a Greedo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Vinylshadow posted:

They pulled a Greedo

Never pull a Greedo

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sassassin posted:

I find this a strange thing to ask for as they are the same thing, except one is (ironically) unmasked; the Phantom Menace exposed.

You only have to look at the first few minutes of Episode One to see the Trade Federation executives react with fear when they discover that the "representatives" the Republic have sent to negotiate are in fact Jedi Knights.

The negotiations will be short, because these Federation-types are cowards.

The Empire's goal is to rule. Fear is merely an effective method through both Republic and Imperial periods (and beyond).

Is sending two guys who can fight the same as blowing up an entire planet? Because that's the question you were asked.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Snowman_McK posted:

Is sending two guys who can fight the same as blowing up an entire planet? Because that's the question you were asked.

In the sense that they use fear to keep the systems in line? Not much.

It's the same thought process, just writ large. Like, no, obviously sending two guys isn't "just as bad as" blowing up an entire planet, but it's still the same idea. Terrorize with violence or the threat of violence to maintain a backwards "order." The Death Star is a straight up evolution of this thinking. gently caress, Rogue One basically establishes that the Death Star is just a giant lightsaber.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The trick, of course, being that the Bad Guys have the giant grey spherical ship, so it has to be blown up by the Good Guys, with their small, colourful ships. Pointy Spaceships vs Round Spaceships, if you will. :v:

Then over the course of the series the small, colourful ships become more war-like, until the heroes are piloting these:

The central component is almost identical to a TIE fighter, and the wing struts even make them look like Vader's 'advanced' version!

The droid starfighters don't resemble X-Wings as closely, but they have an inkling of the split-wing design:

I think Cnut broke it down using the terms 'Apollonian' and 'Dionysian' but I don't know enough about those concepts to explain further.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The post about the yin-yang morphology between the Naboo/Republic and Trade Federation/Separations ships and war machines was really awesome. Someone should repost it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Please stop posting pictures of Ted Cruz itt

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

How would you characterize ISIL or FARC or the Kurdistan Worker's Party?

ISIL somewhat reminds me of the First Order. It was the remnant of a fallen regime with experienced military and political leaders. It was allowed to expand in a power vacuum, and no one took it too seriously until it was almost too late. It also terrorizes civilian populations, including using weapons of mass destruction. The others are more like traditional insurgents. In Star Wars terms, maybe they would be like the unaffiliated Rebel groups, like Saw's, which were more extreme.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

The post about the yin-yang morphology between the Naboo/Republic and Trade Federation/Separations ships and war machines was really awesome. Someone should repost it.

Was that Cnut? I'd also love to read it.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Threatening lovely space corporatists doesn't really seem like a bad thing to do though, really. Like remember that time Obama dressed down the bankers for golden parachutes (ignoring his later about-face on the issue)? That owned.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mecha Gojira posted:

In the sense that they use fear to keep the systems in line? Not much.

It's the same thought process, just writ large. Like, no, obviously sending two guys isn't "just as bad as" blowing up an entire planet, but it's still the same idea. Terrorize with violence or the threat of violence to maintain a backwards "order." The Death Star is a straight up evolution of this thinking. gently caress, Rogue One basically establishes that the Death Star is just a giant lightsaber.

There is nothing in the film that states or implies that the Jedi were there to intimidate them, or that the threat of their violence was the reason they were sent. The Jedi seemed to have a lot of different functions and skills. You are basing them being there to intimidate the Trade Federation with a threat of force on absolutely nothing in the film. Remember that Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan don't start the fight, they go in and sit down. We can't really draw any conclusions about how they would have actually negotiated since the Trade Federation tries to kill them in two different ways immediately upon their arrival. The fact that the Trade Federation literally trying to kill the negotiators and invading the planet is answered by a lengthy debate in the senate suggests that direct action is not really on the table.

The other is pre-emptively blowing up an entire planet. It's really not the extension of the same idea at all.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Qui-Gon: These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short.

This is a causative statement, not a correlative one. Because the Federation are cowardly, the negotiations will be short. (Because we'll bully them into agreeing with us, we will get what we want.) (Fear will keep the local systems in line.)

More telling is the extended visual reference to Forbidden Planet, where a monster attempts to burn through a thick blast door to kill the crew, except the monsters are the Jedi.

"Where are those Droidekas?", Nute Gunray yells panickedly. (He's great, and I'm glad everything he says has become a meme.)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
It's certainly preferable to intimidate dissenters with Jedi negotiators rather than blowing up planets with a Death Star.

But then again, the Death Star is insignificant compared to the power wielded by the Jedi, and in the era of the Republic no one needed to be reminded of this fact. What they need is reassurance that they wont be slaugthered by the Jedi, and the only reason anyone does dare to rebel is the support of the Sith.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ungulateman posted:

Qui-Gon: These Federation types are cowards. The negotiations will be short.

This is a causative statement, not a correlative one. Because the Federation are cowardly, the negotiations will be short. (Because we'll bully them into agreeing with us, we will get what we want.) (Fear will keep the local systems in line.)

That's assuming a causative leap that is barely even implied at the time and contradicted later. The Republic demonstrably does not have the capacity to bully, since they spend the rest of the movie dithering and emphatically not bullying. The two Neimodians on the ship are also demonstrably cowardly, and in fact resort to violence rather than negotiation. The more obvious implication is that they're not very good at negotiating. They are, in fact, the ones that attempt to bully rather than negotiate.

'They are cowards' and 'fear (of their planet being annihilated) will keep the local systems in line' are not the same positions, and they don't even rely on the same assumptions. One is a statement about another's flaws, the second is a statement about your own strength

That also conflates, on a moral level, any assertiveness in negotiation with violent intimidation

ungulateman posted:

More telling is the extended visual reference to Forbidden Planet, where a monster attempts to burn through a thick blast door to kill the crew, except the monsters are the Jedi.

"Where are those Droidekas?", Nute Gunray yells panickedly. (He's great, and I'm glad everything he says has become a meme.)

The monsters who are reacting to a preemptive, violent attack, and are chased off by an escalated violent attack.

The prequels do paint the republic as a pretty flawed place to say the least, but you're really, really stretching here.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 22, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The funny thing is, that scene actually does show that the people in the Empire/Republic were manipulating fearful people to get what they wanted.

Except, like in all cases, it's Palpatine doing the manipulating to get what he wants.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

There is nothing in the film that states or implies that the Jedi were there to intimidate them, or that the threat of their violence was the reason they were sent.

Have you ever dealt with Jedi Knights before?

...Seal the blast doors!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

sassassin posted:

Have you ever dealt with Jedi Knights before?

...Seal the blast doors!

A reminder that this is said to avoid retaliation for attempting to kill them twice.

And even after this (and a planetary invasion) the Neimodians aren't killed. poo poo, they don't even seem to do any prison time.

The message of The Phantom Menace is not that it rules through fear or intimidation, but that it doesn't rule at all. That it's sluggish and ineffectual, not overbearing and ruthless.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

A reminder that this is said to avoid retaliation for attempting to kill them twice.

And even after this (and a planetary invasion) the Neimodians aren't killed. poo poo, they don't even seem to do any prison time.

The message of The Phantom Menace is not that it rules through fear or intimidation, but that it doesn't rule at all. That it's sluggish and ineffectual, not overbearing and ruthless.
You know I actually adore the prequels for churning up so much dissent in star wars discussions. It'd be so boring if they were unanimously critically acclaimed.
Just thinking about Nute.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Snowman_McK posted:

Nute Gunray did 5 years of a 10 year sentence at a minimum security resort.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you're not following Rebels there was a pretty amazing showdown this weekend and a nice closure on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no4SxdIIDBE

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Real lightsaber beats gimmick lightsaber, aw yeah.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
"We've come to discuss trade."

*Attempts to gas negoatiators*

Goons: Gassing people who are trying to talk to you is a completely reasonable response.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Halloween Jack posted:

Real lightsaber beats gimmick lightsaber, aw yeah.

It's more than just that, Kenobi switches to Qui-gon's form/stance which baits Maul into trying the same "force them to block low then hilt bash to the face" move he killed Qui-gon with, because Maul is a battered old attack dog trying to relive his glory days.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Expanded Universe is on the whole terrible but I have to admit I like all the lightsaber martial arts geekery. Djem So Fo Sho.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
When your negotiators are known to be armed bullies themselves. Remember, it's Sidious who tells them to just kill the Jedi. Otherwise they're just pissing themselves in panic.

Again, Jedi are preferable to Death Star, but they both operate on the level of "fear will keep the systems in line." The Empire is a natural evolution of the Republic's ideology, not a "corruption" of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't really think the issue is whether or not gassing Jedi is a reasonable response, as much as it is an understandable response. They are rightfully terrified of Jedi and Sidious uses that fear against them, its kind of his go-to move.

The Jedi should realize that they can't possibly be proper negotiators, but part of their blind spot is that they don't have a realistic understanding of what their role in society is. They want to be helpful in every single situation, but sometimes their presence only makes things worse.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

The Jedi should realize that they can't possibly be proper negotiators, but part of their blind spot is that they don't have a realistic understanding of what their role in society is. They want to be helpful in every single situation, but sometimes their presence only makes things worse.

It's no mistake that they are a combination of samurai, knights and missionaries. They might have a high opinion of themselves, but other people rightfully feel threatened by them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Curb Your Enthusiasm starring Nute Gunray

make it happen Disney

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
I think it's important to remember by that point Jedi were acting officers of the law. And the Trade Federation was doing some shady poo poo.

I don't think their fear is a fear of the Jedi being able to kill them then. It's more that they're breaking the law and the police just showed up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Savidudeosoo posted:

I think it's important to remember by that point Jedi were acting officers of the law. And the Trade Federation was doing some shady poo poo.

I don't think their fear is a fear of the Jedi being able to kill them then. It's more that they're breaking the law and the police just showed up.

Right, but what if all of the sudden all of the cops in your city were veteran Navy Seals who responded to calls in full tactical gear and military-style weapons? Sure, they're acting as officers of the law but is that really going to be of any importance when people feel like the Boogeyman is coming for them?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Savidudeosoo posted:

Cops is not really the right analogy for them, there are already cops, palace guards, personal entourages, etc. in the films. It would be like calling Imperial Stormtroopers cops. Kind of but not really.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yorkshire Tea posted:

"We've come to discuss trade."

*Attempts to gas negoatiators*

Goons: Gassing people who are trying to talk to you is a completely reasonable response.

Wow, you're as bad at reading posts as movies.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Basebf555 posted:

Right, but what if all of the sudden all of the cops in your city were veteran Navy Seals who responded to calls in full tactical gear and military-style weapons? Sure, they're acting as officers of the law but is that really going to be of any importance when people feel like the Boogeyman is coming for them?

Maybe they wouldn't have to send the Navy Seals if you didn't blockade a peaceful planet with your warships.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Savidudeosoo posted:

I think it's important to remember by that point Jedi were acting officers of the law.

What is the law in Star Wars? Who decides? We come into the prequel trilogy from a set of films where The Law is The Empire, and one of our heroes is a drug smuggler. The Republic is corrupt and corruptible, both by malice and naivete.

To say The Jedi are The Law and therefore The Jedi are Good, is not Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Savidudeosoo posted:

Maybe they wouldn't have to send the Navy Seals if you didn't blockade a peaceful planet with your warships.

Send the Navy Seals in...to negotiate?

• Locked thread