Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do Death's Shadow decks play Dark Confidant? That always seemed like a very Suicide Black card to me but maybe it's too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Do Death's Shadow decks play Dark Confidant? That always seemed like a very Suicide Black card to me but maybe it's too slow.

Death's Shadow decks run 4 copies of a self Lava Axe maindeck, as good a card as Bob is there's just a really good chance you end up finishing yourself off.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

As someone who has played bobs with 4 gush and 4 force in a deck before, I say its worth it. :getin:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bob + Emrakul.

No fear.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I've won a nonzero number of cube games to my opponent doing that.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I've won a nonzero number of cube games to my opponent doing that.

So once? On a related note one of my friends top 8'd a Star city legacy event with TES vs hive mind. His opponent had resolved a hive mind, and had pacts my friend couldn't pay for, at the end of game 3. But my friend cast ad nauseum during the end step, right before he was gonna die. His opponent was at 15 from two ancient tombs and a force. Hive mind copied ad nauseum, and is required to be resolved once. Of course he flips emrakul and dies.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
So now that Goyf, Lili, and Catacombs are (marginally) cheaper, my plans of giving myself over to our BGx overlords are within reach-

Deck: Junk

//Lands
3 Blooming Marsh
2 Concealed Courtyard
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
2 Marsh Flats
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
2 Shambling Vent
2 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
3 Verdant Catacombs
2 Windswept Heath

//Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Collective Brutality
3 Fatal Push
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
1 Painful Truths
2 Path to Exile
3 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
1 Anafenza, the Foremost
3 Grim Flayer
2 Noble Hierarch
2 Scavenging Ooze
2 Siege Rhino
4 Tarmogoyf

//Sideboard
1 Damnation
2 Fulminator Mage
2 Kitchen Finks
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Qasali Pridemage
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction
1 Wilt-Leaf Liege

Display deck statistics

This is a pretty bog-standard list, but I'm wondering how I could better tweak it for my local meta. It varies week to week but it trends towards smaller aggro/midrange, so if I see multiples of a deck it's usually stuff like Merfolk, Jund (regular of Death's Shadow) or different flavors of Eldrazi; there's a couple of people who come here on Skred or UWx Control but it's not as common. I know Junk vs. Jund is slightly in Junk's favor, but what could I run in a more aggro-heavy meta?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

L0cke17 posted:

So once? On a related note one of my friends top 8'd a Star city legacy event with TES vs hive mind. His opponent had resolved a hive mind, and had pacts my friend couldn't pay for, at the end of game 3. But my friend cast ad nauseum during the end step, right before he was gonna die. His opponent was at 15 from two ancient tombs and a force. Hive mind copied ad nauseum, and is required to be resolved once. Of course he flips emrakul and dies.

That's sweet

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

Bob + Emrakul.

No fear.

There was a Standard deck that ran Bob + Greater Gargadon and Hit//Run, people need to stop being afraid

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm halfway through a modern league right now on bant spirits. Each league gets cut off at 16 so it's 4 easy rounds.
Today I finished round 2. Here's my thus far tournament report:

Modern league:

R1 vs R/W prison win 2-1
Lose die roll.

G1: we both mull to 5. Opponent drops a T2 blood moon but then doesn't have a lot of action aside from bolting my heirarch. I eventually draw a forest which is good because I have 3 collected company in hand.

Out path, in 3x qasali pridemage, 1x rest in Peace.

G2: I mull to 6. Opponent gets a nahiri onto an empty board and is able to plus into emrakul.

G3: I get a T2 Geist. It is good.

R2 vs: goryo's vengeance
Lose die roll

G1: we both mull to 5 (I do this partially because we've been given decklists and I knew what I was up against). I keep a two land hierarch, (but not a lot of interaction) two spirit hand. And my opponent doesn't combo on T1 or T2 or 3 so I manage to hold up mana and represent a lot of things, I eventually path a spirit token from my opponents orchard so I can ramp and then once my opponent tries to expertise a spirit token I path that in response as well and have enough mana to coco and swing for lethal.

Side out 2 path 2 selfless spirit
Side in 2 Rest In Peace 2 meddling mage.

G2: I keep a single path, two land, hierarch, meddling mage, phantasmal image, coco hand. T1 hierarch, T2 land pass (to hold up spell queller) T3 (opponent played double faithless looting on T2) meddling mage stating goryo's vengeance, phantasmal image targeting meddling mage stating kari Zhev's expertise. T4 phantasmal stating through the breach, swing, hold up spell queller mana. T5 selfless spirit, swing pass. My opponent has zero cards to win the game (especially with queller in hand) unless they get to hardcasting griselbrand.

Next two rounds will happen on each Monday, but I'll be playing the mirror at least once since our if 16 decks, 3 bant spirits decks are 2-0.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 23, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

T3 meddling mage stating goryo's vengeance, phantasmal image targeting meddling mage stating kari Zhev's expertise. T4 phantasmal staying through the breach

Harsh

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I just hate other people having fun.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well deserved, I'd say.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Meddling Mage Is Cool.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

I just hate other people having fun.

No it was a sweet line of play. Reminds of when I stuck Mesmeric Orbs T2, 3 and 4 against Merfolk last FNM. With a T1 Profane Memento :shepface:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I would probably not dare take this to a large event, but for FNM purposes this deck is a riot to play.

Sideboard is still very much a work in progress, I need to get a read on what the local meta is. I am also working on white bordering my shocks and getting even more mismatched basics. What are the worst basic lands? Two serum visions is definitely wrong and those will be Think Twice once I dig those out of my box.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 23, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I would probably not dare take this to a large event, but for FNM purposes this deck is a riot to play.

Sideboard is still very much a work in progress, I need to get a read on what the local meta is. I am also working on white bordering my shocks and getting even more mismatched basics. What are the worst basic lands? Two serum visions is definitely wrong and those will be Think Twice once I dig those out of my box.

The tremolo bar is sweet tech choice. The white boarder swamp with the pink flower in it always made people really angry at FNM.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2017

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Sweet revised island. I've got one of those signed by Mark Poole. I love those white bordered T guys :3:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Lawnie posted:

Sweet revised island. I've got one of those signed by Mark Poole. I love those white bordered T guys :3:

I have collections of revised and unlimited basics that I use in every deck based on whether I feel like seeing that cute lil sideways T or the word tap.

Best basics.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mezzanon posted:

I have collections of revised and unlimited basics that I use in every deck based on whether I feel like seeing that cute lil sideways T or the word tap.

Best basics.

Same, but Unlimited only.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Cool thing that happened with esper walkers: snap dies to my own wrath. Liliana, the Last Hope -2 a few turns later to get back snap and then cast snap to flashback wrath. Snaps back in the yard to be rebought by LLH again a couple turns later. Value!

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Went 2-2 tonight at FNM in a clowndick meta. We had 2 lands, 1 Turbo Depths, 3 Burn, 1 Dredge, 3 ANT, DnT, Sultai Leovold, Sneak and Show, and Elves.

I lost to Elves and Sneak and Show, beating Burn and Turbo Depths. I got to live the dream of ticking a Dark Depths all the way against Turbo Depths, as he had Surgical'd my Ghost Quarters and Thespian's Stages. He got his combo, but he can't beat all my Mazes and Wastelands. I Maze his token and the Karakas it a few turns later, then Waste his Karakas before he gets the hammer.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

EvilBeard posted:

Went 2-2 tonight with Lands at FNM in a clowndick meta. We had 2 lands, 1 Turbo Depths, 3 Burn, 1 Dredge, 3 ANT, DnT, Sultai Leovold, Sneak and Show, and Elves.

I lost to Elves and Sneak and Show, beating Burn and Turbo Depths. I got to live the dream of ticking a Dark Depths all the way against Turbo Depths, as he had Surgical'd my Ghost Quarters and Thespian's Stages. He got his combo, but he can't beat all my Mazes and Wastelands. I Maze his token and the Karakas it a few turns later, then Waste his Karakas before he gets the hammer.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Taking Jund, Eldrazi Tron, and Bant Company to an FNM this week, how hosed are those decks if they run into Death's Shadow?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jund probably can't lose if you're playing Terminates and Abrupt Decays, Tron is probably bad, especially if you don't have Chalices, and Bant is probably slightly in your favor but you really need to do burst damage instead of pinging them for 4 a few times.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are Jund/Junk playing Fatal Push now as well? There's no Junk in my area but we have a few Jund players. However Push isn't great against the decks I usually bring so I don't recall having it cast against me a whole lot.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

C-Euro posted:

Are Jund/Junk playing Fatal Push now as well? There's no Junk in my area but we have a few Jund players. However Push isn't great against the decks I usually bring so I don't recall having it cast against me a whole lot.

anything that can reliably make black mana is messing with push, as far as I can tell. It's interesting to me that it seems to be warping the legacy meta more than modern.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
It's so awful in some matchups that you should really never play 4 of them. Most decks that want the kill spell like Junk or Grixis will play around 2 in the main. Jund still plays bolt because you can at least go to the face with it when there's nothing to kill.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

anything that can reliably make black mana is messing with push, as far as I can tell. It's interesting to me that it seems to be warping the legacy meta more than modern.

I'm less familiar with Legacy than you, how is this playing out?

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's so awful in some matchups that you should really never play 4 of them. Most decks that want the kill spell like Junk or Grixis will play around 2 in the main. Jund still plays bolt because you can at least go to the face with it when there's nothing to kill.

I figured that Jund was less in need of it since they have Bolt (and Terminate to a lesser degree). I also guess it depends on your meta, last Modern FNM I don't think I saw a single creature over CMC=4 so it's a great card there, I was running four with a bunch of fetches and a playset of Ghost Quarters and I never had a problem killing anything with it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I'm less familiar with Legacy than you, how is this playing out?

I think the conventional wisdom (which aligns with my MODO experience, mostly -- haven't been playing any paper legacy lately) is that between Fatal Push and Leovold, grindy midrange BUG decks are stronger. There's also been a rise in miracles lists running several (or even 4) predict, and a lot more mentor miracles than conventional Joe Losset lists, somewhat as a result. Push kills enough of the things that otherwise need to be Abrupt Decay'd to be very good (mom, thalia, DRS, flickerwisp*, mentor*, goyf, etc) that it's probably worth displacing some number of Decay, because it's so much less awkward to cast most of the time (and doesn't cost you tempo when you have to kill a 2-drop).

I don't claim to be a brilliant or insightful legacy players, but between Aluren, Reid-Duke 3-drop lists, and more conventional goyf delver lists, there is a hell of a lot of BUG around and my little green guys get Fatal Pushed a lot.

My own take on BUG, since the printing of Leovold, is a 4x Aether Vial list which I have been playing a lot (now usually with 2-3 pushes in the 75, though I think only 1 maindeck right now because of matchups where it's totally dead, compared to Decay which can generally find something to hit even if it's a lotus petal or something equally awful).

I haven't actually messed with Push in Elves; I think it might be pretty bad there, because you don't generally run any removal maindeck, and not having the full set of Decay feels awful against decks that just lock you out with Engineered Plague or Counterbalance. Looking at mtgtop8 it does not look like anyone is doing well with Push in Elves, either.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 27, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey you play more Legacy than I do so you're the expert here. I have seen more BUG lists in Legacy lineups but I attribute that to Leovold seeming like he'd be really good in a format with Brainstorm/JtMS/real card draw.

I've actually wanted to build BUG in Modern, I saw it place pretty high in that set of Modern Opens a few weeks ago and a guy at my LGS is trying out a BUG Delver-ish build. This is what I want to do but I haven't quite pulled everything together-

1 Bloodstained Mire
2 Blooming Marsh
1 Breeding Pool
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Polluted Delta
1 Swamp
1 Verdant Catacombs
2 Watery Grave
3 Abrupt Decay
1 Collective Brutality
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Fatal Push
1 Go for the Throat
3 Grim Flayer
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Mana Leak
1 Murderous Cut
4 Serum Visions
2 Simic Charm
2 Snapcaster Mage
1 Spell Snare
2 Stubborn Denial
4 Tarmogoyf
1 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
2 Thoughtseize

//Sideboard
1 Creeping Corrosion
2 Dispel
1 Engineered Explosives
2 Feed the Clan
1 Golgari Charm
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Ravenous Trap
2 Shadow of Doubt
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Vampiric Link

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Where's the death's shadow?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Joe Lossett style Legend Miracles has always been pretty fringe. 4 ponder, some # of predict and counterspell, with mentor Miracles has been the most common build since before Fatal Push.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Man... Monday is modern night & money's kinda tight right now. Usually buy-in for the night is $5 but everyone decided to do win-a-box of MM17 so it was $20. Already kinda upset & sick af (was home all last week ill) I play to get some reps in before the GP next week.

Made it to top 4 which was great! Was ready to split & go home with some packs that I couldn't actually afford, but one guy wanted to play for the whole box so we didn't split & I immediately lost to go home and take some medicine. Sucks.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

myDad posted:

Made it to top 4 which was great! Was ready to split & go home with some packs that I couldn't actually afford, but one guy wanted to play for the whole box so we didn't split & I immediately lost to go home and take some medicine. Sucks.

That's lame, if I'm going to "make" my entry fee back I'll always at least offer to split. Tell me that guy lost, at least.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Wow. These invocations are terrible looking.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
The real question is: are they ugly enough to be cheap so I can buy them?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Lawnie posted:

The real question is: are they ugly enough to be cheap so I can buy them?

No because people are stupid.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

empathe posted:

Wow. These invocations are terrible looking.

This, and they're reprinting a bunch of eternal staples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

great, now not only do I have to lose to Miracles, I have to deal with 25% of their cards being this yugioh bullshit