Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best soup
French Onion
Creamy Potato
Chicken Noodle
Gumbo... the answer is gumbo
View Results

• Locked thread
Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I just beat A and then got past Simone. i assume everything is gonna go batshit soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Finished it over the weekend. Really great game. Yakuza 0's still my GOTY so far, but this is a close second.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

municipal shrimp posted:

Should i feel obligated to do every side quest on my first play through or can I hold off on some of these. I am getting a little burnt out after doing every single one up to the forest.

do the ones you like. the chievo for it just requires you to do 80% and you get chapter select eventually

a lot of the quests are easy / done on the way, and the stories are usually pretty good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think I like the story of this game more than the first because there's not really a big twist or reveal. After like 5 hours in the world you have an inkling of the truth and when it is stated at the end of Path B it's so quickly glossed over and all the characters reactions are akin to "ah yeah I figured" that it feels that much more crushing. It's a cool effect, and it makes the C/D stuff just doubly hopeless through the whole rigmarole of just confirming doubts that you've always had without a true release, just nihilistic destruction. really effective stuff

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/niergame/status/843919029119008768

Cool video with sons behind the scenes stuff from the composer

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
if i didnt delete my data at E ending so i can plat can i go back and do it once i have?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bump_fn posted:

if i didnt delete my data at E ending so i can plat can i go back and do it once i have?

yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bump_fn posted:

Yes but doesn't that feel like cheating.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thats what I've been struggling with, personally.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

In Training posted:

look i already failed my comrades. give methis

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

In Training posted:

I think I like the story of this game more than the first because there's not really a big twist or reveal. After like 5 hours in the world you have an inkling of the truth and when it is stated at the end of Path B it's so quickly glossed over and all the characters reactions are akin to "ah yeah I figured" that it feels that much more crushing. It's a cool effect, and it makes the C/D stuff just doubly hopeless through the whole rigmarole of just confirming doubts that you've always had without a true release, just nihilistic destruction. really effective stuff

The YoRHa android cores just being repurposed machine cores seemed like a kinda big twist. The twists were eked out over the course of the game unlike nier 1 with everything going nuts at shadow lords castle and beyond so that probably lessens the impact.

Still not sure if I like this game or nier 1 more but one thing I know is that both games make the other game way better. They must have samples or rearranged like half the soundtrack from the first game and it loving rules

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
My one criticism is that even though there are a lot of endings, almost all the non main ones are more like "you died during this story fight" instead of more interesting/comedy ones like the mackerel

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
this game just broke my heart

FINAL ENDING SPOILER I was going through Ending E, and I'm extremely lovely at bullet hells. I didn't even want to bother after a certain point but I really wanted to be able to save someone else, and I figured since it was constantly giving me the option to be saved that you'd have to beat the ending properly in order to do so. The game slowly downgrades the difficulty over time, which was very nice even though I just thought I was changing up my tactics. But eventually it "downgrades" so much that it decides you won't ever beat it and just makes all the enemies invincible, even if you choose to get saved. I spent about two hours straight trying my hardest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

klapman posted:

FINAL ENDING SPOILER I was going through Ending E, and I'm extremely lovely at bullet hells. I didn't even want to bother after a certain point but I really wanted to be able to save someone else, and I figured since it was constantly giving me the option to be saved that you'd have to beat the ending properly in order to do so. The game slowly downgrades the difficulty over time, which was very nice even though I just thought I was changing up my tactics. But eventually it "downgrades" so much that it decides you won't ever beat it and just makes all the enemies invincible, even if you choose to get saved. I spent about two hours straight trying my hardest

hahaha this game loving owns

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

In Training posted:

it did at first, but taro would've supported it I'm pretty convinced

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

klapman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

lol that's really hosed up

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i didnt end up getting hit until square enix showed up and everything suddenly got way harder and on one hand i'm glad they essentially start forcing you to die and see what happens but it also led to a very long stretch of monotonous easy shooting in between coming to grips with whats going and that

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

It took me one and a half playthroughs to figure out you can break the dark purple orbs enemies shoot with melee attacks...I thought you just had to dodge them.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I let the little kid robot die and feel pretty bad rn

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

absolutely anything posted:

i didnt end up getting hit until square enix showed up and everything suddenly got way harder and on one hand i'm glad they essentially start forcing you to die and see what happens but it also led to a very long stretch of monotonous easy shooting in between coming to grips with whats going and that

When I died there it restarted right back there ????

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think he just means it's easy before that point which is true but also its an effective way to remind people that games are pretty huge undertaking, since credits in most games are either skipped outright or provided as a menu option that nobody clicks on

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or not to [B]e

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

In Training posted:

I think he just means it's easy before that point which is true but also its an effective way to remind people that games are pretty huge undertaking, since credits in most games are either skipped outright or provided as a menu option that nobody clicks on

yeah but also i super spaced out during the easy part so it kinda had the opposite effect on me. if it were more of a constant struggle it probably would have stuck with me more and complimented the whole never give up aspect of the death prompts

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow C is no loving joke

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
=/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah I had a cool bug in Route C [late spoilers] when I was swapping between A2 and 9S up the tower I triggered a transition right I started witch time with A2 at the exact moment it faded over to 9S and his entire shooting section was in slo mo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pascal....

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I'm 10 hours in and just figured out how the combo system works

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice. There's also a secret maneuver that I don't think the game ever tells you about or you ever really need

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cannot believe I'm playing a text adventure

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[C] oh my god

E OMG

frank.club fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 22, 2017

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When the chorus kicked in

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I won't be able to play this for a bit so I impatiently read some of the spoilers and I don't feel spoiled at all because they sound like insane gibberish. I love it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

When the chorus kicked in

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fighting androids is so hard because they dont have that red flash

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
transport 3 mission is bugged or somethhing i kill the machines and make a path but i cant talk to the guy wtf

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

run around and kill any enemies nearby you can't talk to the guy if any of them are upset at you

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Just got this game on PC and aside from some hitching and one hard crash it runs pretty well. Ten hours in and only past the second boss but I already am in love with this game. I've had the boss fight music from the first boss stuck in my head all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
bunker music is top tier, as well as the factory gods remix

• Locked thread