Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

so do the official games
It's a good gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nihilarian posted:

It's a good gimmick

a good way to get over brother

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Endorph posted:

my only complaint is that it's named nobunata and not nobunada

Same but Nobuņata

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Sage's designs are great for exactly the same reason why Uranium's are awful: relentless peer editing. Uranium is built by one guy, but every single one of Sage's pokemon designs was focus tested 3-4 times for virtually all of their aspects; overall design, specific details and even the name. It goes to show that design by committee can work pretty well when the committee is invested enough in the end result.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And this is all based in 4chan, no less. The quality is through the roof.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bogart posted:

And this is all based in 4chan, no less. The quality is through the roof.

That's the weirdest part about this: that a fan project that started on 4chan is not only good but demonstrably better than the most prominent non-4chan equivalent

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
There's also Pokemon Clover which is... Not good.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
First Pokemon I see on the Pokemon Clover page is a suicide bomber lizard themed around Islamic insurgents. :sever:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

That's the weirdest part about this: that a fan project that started on 4chan is not only good but demonstrably better than the most prominent non-4chan equivalent

That's not actually that unusual, as long as devs wise up enough to move off of it being "a 4chan project" once they have a team together it's not the worst place to find nerds who can make games.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

When the selling point is '4chan'
Yeah i dont know what you expected.

The less said about clover the better. Lets just stick with sage and uranium.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

That's not actually that unusual, as long as devs wise up enough to move off of it being "a 4chan project" once they have a team together it's not the worst place to find nerds who can make games.

Eh, they still do "Dev Sunday" every week at 4chan. It's more that once the team is assembled, you need to be able to communicate more effectively than "Anonymous posts when you aren't sure people are on and awake"

Here's the attack animation they've done up for Terrorize

And this is Vivace, the town where the games bad guys are set

Both meant to represent the glitzy glam on the surface and the slums. They also had gifs handling the new Pokemon Follow script (because the one they had they didn't like) and showcasing the new stairs because, in their own words "The old ones didn't look good."

All from this past sunday.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Onmi posted:

Eh, they still do "Dev Sunday" every week at 4chan. It's more that once the team is assembled, you need to be able to communicate more effectively than "Anonymous posts when you aren't sure people are on and awake"

Holy gently caress, that looks slick as poo poo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Onmi posted:

Both meant to represent the glitzy glam on the surface and the slums. They also had gifs handling the new Pokemon Follow script (because the one they had they didn't like) and showcasing the new stairs because, in their own words "The old ones didn't look good."

All from this past sunday.

this is all from a couple days ago? nice. i always seem to miss out on the most current news about this poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Onmi posted:

Both meant to represent the glitzy glam on the surface and the slums.

Carnival Night Zone music stuck in my head now, in a good way

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Bogart posted:

First Pokemon I see on the Pokemon Clover page is a suicide bomber lizard themed around Islamic insurgents. :sever:
Next time I think "those Uranium designs sure are edgy" I will remember that Clover has a concentration camp oven Pokemon named after the final solution...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair, clover is going for intentionally stupid/bad/offensive designs. uranium is actually sincere.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Endorph posted:

to be fair, clover is going for intentionally stupid/bad/offensive designs. uranium is actually sincere.
for a second I thought this was the vlr thread

carry on

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah for all the talk about uranimum being dark and edgy it's really more just a kids idea of what mature content is, clover sounds like it's the actual edgelord game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought clover was tongue in cheek like all the goon rom hacks.

idk if pokemon uranium goes more edge, I would probably like it more.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Endorph posted:

Every part of Clover is stupid, but I will say I kinda like the Mariguana pun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

clover is just full of the awful dregs of 4chan, sage is the one where the devs were actually interested in making a 'real' pokemon game

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Its evolution method is really neat too. Its second stage has two forms depending on whether it evolves holding a burn heal or an ice heal. The former learns Ice moves, the latter learns Fire moves. You evolve it again by leveling it up while it's holding the opposite of its previous evolution item, at which point it becomes a hulking alchemical monstrosity. :black101:

Noxial:

Fumighast:

That last one is actually adorable again. Like it's suddenly realized how huge it is and is only thinking that now it can reach things on the top shelf!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Seriously, I would buy a plush Fumighast no problem. It's cute. :3:

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Its evolution method is really neat too. Its second stage has two forms depending on whether it evolves holding a burn heal or an ice heal. The former learns Ice moves, the latter learns Fire moves. You evolve it again by leveling it up while it's holding the opposite of its previous evolution item, at which point it becomes a hulking alchemical monstrosity. :black101:

Noxial:

Fumighast:

As a chemist, I feel that this is a perfect representation of when a reaction goes awry and you try to fix it but only make a bigger mess.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm sad they aren't official designs because they're adorable. Even the big one looks like it's trying to make out that it is a Big Scary Monster but is actually a Big Soft Monster. :3: It's almost like a reverse-Bewear

Also I like the gas mask thing that red one has going on.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

LupusAter posted:

As a chemist, I feel that this is a perfect representation of when a reaction goes awry and you try to fix it but only make a bigger mess.

It's even Poison/Ghost, it's a literal thing that goes FOOF in the night! :byoscience:

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 22, 2017

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am definitely going to play Sage just so I can have a Fumighast.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Bloody Pom posted:

It's even Poison/Ghost, it's a literal thing that goes FOOF in the night! :byoscience:

Wanting to play Sage now, tbh.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I want my next LP to be Sage :saddowns:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Since we're all gushing about Sage, my favourite from their designs is Hyekuza, the Bad News Pokemon.

quote:

Fiercely proud and protective of its hairdo, the Hyekuza with the largest and most extravagant pompadour is considered the leader of the pack.

Also Trenchula, because that's an A+ quality pun.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Dragonwagon posted:

...Why does it strike me as a Galvantula edit?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Dragonwagon posted:

Since we're all gushing about Sage, my favourite from their designs is Hyekuza, the Bad News Pokemon.

That hyena yakuza is adorable and I want ten of it. :3:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Dragonwagon posted:

You can tell the people behind this cared about emulating the official style because it's a spider with 6 legs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Y'know the thing that I like most about these Sage designs is that they're all puns. Does Uranium even have puns?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Y'know the thing that I like most about these Sage designs is that they're all puns. Does Uranium even have puns?

It goes all in on portmanteaus, does that count?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Knotreally.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

No, because then you end up with a fire ant called Smore.

Which barely makes sense AFTER you figure out that's a (bad) portmanteau.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 23, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

If this mess of a game teaches you anything, let out be that puns are great and portmanteaus are the worst.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SyntheticPolygon posted:

When we get to some of the fish. the final form is actually not badly named. Poorly drawn, but decent name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Honestly, that one fails because they have the perfect opportunity to maintain theme but couldn't be assed. We'll get there.

• Locked thread