Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

angryrobots posted:

My youngest puked herself on the way home.

Let me tell you how much I love having to unbuckle a car seat with everything covered in milk and chicken vomit..

Been there bro. My girl was a puker. Rarely got a runny nose, or sore throat, she'd just be like "dad I don't feel so good*BLEAARF*"

The worst was when she puked on a plane. As we were taxiing to take off. Then again 20 minutes later. Then 2 more times when I tried to get her to drink some water. Yes, I was that parent with that kid. Stunk up the whole section of the plane. Made a 2-1/2 hour flight feel like ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

There's also a fairly good chance the birds are the ones loving with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgd2kv2TSI

Yeah I would lean towards that but it's the second time I've found bread somewhere not obvious. First time was in the gap between hatch and body. Going to try and park far away from trees and see if it happens a third time before I go crazy and buy a motion sensing camera or something silly.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

slothrop posted:

Fortunately for me, these days are becoming fewer and further between. It's amazing how much cutting down on booze has made a difference. I'm 33 on Monday and I honestly think I'm at my healthiest since I was 19. Certainly the smallest my gut has been.

I still probably drink far too much, but hey, I work in the industry. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure being an alcoholic is a pre-requisite for working in IT.

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, an X220 with the IPS screen just popped up at a reasonable price. It's got a 320GB spinny-disk drive and 4GB RAM, and I don't know about the battery life*. But it's an X220 with dual-band wifi, Bluetooth and 3G WWAN :q:

I'll use it for a while, and probably upgrade it to 8GB RAM and an SSD at some point.

* It's got the 6-cell battery. Unless it's in good condition, I'll just buy a 9-cell for it.

This is a good and just decision. I still like using my 6 cell and carry a backup 6 cell because the 9cell really fucks up the form factor and you get marginally better battery life.
as for the WWAN card. I bought mine for that reason, but now I just USB tether for 4g and use the mini PCIe slot for an mSATA SSD :getin:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The Golf used 4 quarts of full synth oil in 1,037 miles! A new record!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

scuz posted:

The Golf used 4 quarts of full synth oil in 1,037 miles! A new record!

Did you motor swap for an ej257?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

use the mini PCIe slot for an mSATA SSD :getin:

Is it able to boot from mSATA?

Because I could just ditch the SATA drive completely, for the speed increase and minor power savings of mSATA.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Is it able to boot from mSATA?

Because I could just ditch the SATA drive completely, for the speed increase and minor power savings of mSATA.
Looks like that's a thing, I think.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, r/thinkpad says yes too.

I'll probably go for that, then.

And use the empty HDD slot for "stuff" :ssh:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone recommend a Vegas area resort off the strip but with an awesome pool/lounging area and great food? Prefer something more adult oriented instead of family friendly. Anyone go to Redrock before?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc. On Sunday we watched the new(ish) live action Cinderella which was a first for me as my wife did a mommy/daughter date when that one came out. It was really good and I think paid good respect to the original and the story. There was some great back story added that gave greater depth to the step mother (the "villain") as well as making the prince not seem like such a bore but a Cool Guy[upper]TM[/upper]. The actress that played Cinderella really sold the character and you could tell they genuinely were pretty stoked to be playing the part. Helena Bonham Carter was a treasure as well and in the ~5 minutes she was on the screen were laugh out loud hilarious.

Last night we took the kids to the new Beauty and the Beast movie and I was...whelmed. Not overwhelmed, or underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it relied so heavily on CGI? There was a lot about the movie that didn't impress me. As far as Disney princesses go Belle has been the best by far (although Moana is seriously kickass and possibly tied second to Rapunzel). Gaston is one of the best Disney villains of all time and the character just fell flat. There were a couple of shining moments where you were like YES! This is the douche we have grown to hatelove but there was not nearly enough of that. The dubbing for the parts of Emma Watson singing seemed slightly off and it was super distracting. There was a little back story on Beast, Belle's dad Maurice, and some other characters that helped the story a little. I just feel like this wasn't Emma Watson's best performance. Probably the brightest light of the movie was Kevin Kline playing Maurice. As a last note I cannot :lol: enough at people freaking out over LeFou and the "gay moment". The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French and this is the observation of a Mormon dude living in Utah.

I know I am not the only dad in here who has given way more thought on the intricacies of Disney Princess worldbuilding. Am I off base? Is Belle actually not The Best?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Ok except overwatch

I'll warn u I am about to hit diamond rank :smug:

Call me when you hit Gemerald

annoyed I cannot find originals to link to

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French
That's a pretty serious offence, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, I want to buy a fifth car. I live in a nice, quiet subdivision without an HOA, so I can do as I please. If I wanted a single car concrete pad in my backyard, about how much would that run me to have it professionally done?

Not gonna happen anytime soon, but I really want a bad-idea W210 E55 AMG. Always been a dream car. They're cheap these days, there's one not too far that's five grand, comes with spare wheels and winter tires and has had knew ball joints and bushings and a tranny service recently. If I can find something similar in about a year, I might just jump on it.

Alternatively, storage places let you store cars there, don't they?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
park it on your front lawn like a true car hoarder

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there sufficient access for a truck to do a straight pour, or would it need to be done manually?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Is there sufficient access for a truck to do a straight pour, or would it need to be done manually?

I have a double-wide gate back there and can drive a vehicle through it, though I don't know about a cement truck.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

I actually don't have a whole lot of room in the front of my house. I have a pad on the side where I keep vehicle #3, and #4 is usually on the street. I do have street parking behind my house though...

edit: meant to edit the previous post and add it, aw gently caress it

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Don't die doing a brake job.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Also, buying tires for my truck this weekend. It'll be amazing not being in constant fear when going over 40mph. Right now the truck is as is was when I bought it, with one completely bald tire, two very heavily dry-rotted tires, four different brands between the four tires, and one offroad tire with three road tires.

On the downside, I'm spending nearly half of what I paid for the truck on tires...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BraveUlysses posted:

I just bought a house and the HOA won't let me do this even if I had a yard big enough to do so.

I sure hope they don't mind sheds instead of back yards otherwise my mom might have to hang onto a dozen bikes for a while longer.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm not sure if it's just *spring cleaning* time or what, but I just decided to purge as much as I can (with the little time I have). There no reason we need 5 laptops or 8 sets of suspension for Rx-7. I would rather have the money for my projects and to pay off our CC's.

I can't directly relate recent changes to my slightly more positive attitude or outlook, but between having a newborn and not drinking, I'm feeling much better. Maybe I can get some fun stuff done this year. Like finish my 20b FD.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

I'm not sure if it's just *spring cleaning* time or what, but I just decided to purge as much as I can (with the little time I have). There no reason we need 5 laptops or 8 sets of suspension for Rx-7. I would rather have the money for my projects and to pay off our CC's.

I can't directly relate recent changes to my slightly more positive attitude or outlook, but between having a newborn and not drinking, I'm feeling much better. Maybe I can get some fun stuff done this year. Like finish my 20b FD.

I purged when I moved in with my wife. It felt really good at first but slowly devolved into resentment after her mom made her pick up an entire bedroom's worth of books/trophies/crap.
I've got an ace up my sleeve though: 12 motorcycles, 2 boats, enough amps and speakers to fill a house and a literal half ton of periodicals. Horticulture, Southern Living, Playboy, Bon Apetit, Virginia, Sport Tuner Magazine, Playstation Magazine, NatGeo, and so on...
Martha Stewart, take me home!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc.
I got crap last night while skating for knowing all of Frozen's "let it go" as a single/childless-male and was like "don't care, it's catchy". I then requested "just can't wait to be king" and "be prepared". Requesting 3-4 songs a week to skate to without dupes is hard. Disney does good songs.

Haven't seen either of those live action remakes, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Preface: I am a dad to a girl almost five years old so I have directly and indirectly exposed to a lot of Disney princesses/movies etc. On Sunday we watched the new(ish) live action Cinderella which was a first for me as my wife did a mommy/daughter date when that one came out. It was really good and I think paid good respect to the original and the story. There was some great back story added that gave greater depth to the step mother (the "villain") as well as making the prince not seem like such a bore but a Cool Guy[upper]TM[/upper]. The actress that played Cinderella really sold the character and you could tell they genuinely were pretty stoked to be playing the part. Helena Bonham Carter was a treasure as well and in the ~5 minutes she was on the screen were laugh out loud hilarious.

Last night we took the kids to the new Beauty and the Beast movie and I was...whelmed. Not overwhelmed, or underwhelmed. Maybe it was because it relied so heavily on CGI? There was a lot about the movie that didn't impress me. As far as Disney princesses go Belle has been the best by far (although Moana is seriously kickass and possibly tied second to Rapunzel). Gaston is one of the best Disney villains of all time and the character just fell flat. There were a couple of shining moments where you were like YES! This is the douche we have grown to hatelove but there was not nearly enough of that. The dubbing for the parts of Emma Watson singing seemed slightly off and it was super distracting. There was a little back story on Beast, Belle's dad Maurice, and some other characters that helped the story a little. I just feel like this wasn't Emma Watson's best performance. Probably the brightest light of the movie was Kevin Kline playing Maurice. As a last note I cannot :lol: enough at people freaking out over LeFou and the "gay moment". The only thing LeFou was guilty of was being French and this is the observation of a Mormon dude living in Utah.

I know I am not the only dad in here who has given way more thought on the intricacies of Disney Princess worldbuilding. Am I off base? Is Belle actually not The Best?

The movie is about kiddnapping and the hero is the kiddnapper due to stockholm syndrom. The "bad guy" tries to bring someone who preys on women to justice. I'd be more worried about that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So many blokes at work are talking about that loving film if I didn't know better I'd suspect it had Emma Watson nude in it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Moana kicks so much rear end. If Moana isn't a tearjerker for you on any level you should go to the hospital immediately because your heart has turned to obsidian and you're likely to die at any minute. Girlfriend and I saw it twice in theaters and she just saw Beauty and the Best and thought it was "magical."

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

I'll have about five hours to kill at the Stockholm Arlanda airport on Wednesday. What's worth seeing / doing within reasonable travel time of there?

What did you end up doing?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I just bought a house and the HOA won't let me do this

I really, seriously don't understand how and/or why HOAs work. So you own the house but they own the land as some kind of land tenure, or what the gently caress is going on? Why are other people allowed to tell you what you can and can't do on your property?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It really depends on where you live and can vary wildly in how restrictive the rules are/arent.

Everyone thinks they're terrible right until you have a fuckface neighbor who has 9-12 cars on their front lawn and there's no recourse to get them to live like a normal human.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Everyone thinks they're terrible right until you have a fuckface neighbor who has 9-12 cars on their front lawn and there's no recourse to get them to live like a normal human.

There is a neighborhood not far from here that doesn't allow its residents to own a pickup truck. Any pickup truck. A buddy of mine got a real nice truck for cheap because somebody moved there and had to get rid of it.

Though, I'd say, if 9-12 cars makes you happy, you can have them. Hell, you're probably pretty cool to talk to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

There is a neighborhood not far from here that doesn't allow its residents to own a pickup truck. Any pickup truck. A buddy of mine got a real nice truck for cheap because somebody moved there and had to get rid of it.

Though, I'd say, if 9-12 cars makes you happy, you can have them. Hell, you're probably pretty cool to talk to.

I'm not talking about a "car collector" with 12 cars, this is the example about half a mile from my place. i'm not in an HOA area but this guy is about a block outside of one. I'm sure his neighbors love him.

Zillow zestimate for that house is over 425k btw :laffo:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I see nothing wrong with that man's lifestyle choices. :shrug:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, that yard doesn't seem too bad. If it's just a bunch of cars, and the people who live there are otherwise quiet/friendly, then I don't see a problem.

RVA Goons: Where's a good place to grab a beer and easy dinner downtown? I'm going to a concert at the National tomorrow so I want to eat first. (No IPAs, since I know Richmond is Hipster-town)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

I suppose you're just gonna let those mis-matched window frames slide, aren'tcha?

AREN'TCHA?!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Ehh i dunno maybe my perception is different cause it's not a fleet of a few cars that are daily driven, it's more like a small junkyard.

i'll snap a pic sometime soon and see if the RV that he parks on the front lawn is there.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Looks like a rural slum that moved closer to town.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

A GMT400 Suburban with Altezzas and a missing door, a thirdgen Firebird on too-big RIMZZZZZZZ, and an Expedition, all parked on the grass? Yeah, I probably wouldn't want that as a neighbor either. That definitely looks less like "too many cars not enough parking spaces" and more like "on any given day, only three of these run".

I mean, I've got my broke-rear end Jeep in the driveway, but I'm being very careful to hide the fact that it is currently broke. Body's still all there, wheels still on, it just looks like its normal post-trail dirty self.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm not talking about a "car collector" with 12 cars, this is the example about half a mile from my place. i'm not in an HOA area but this guy is about a block outside of one. I'm sure his neighbors love him.

Zillow zestimate for that house is over 425k btw :laffo:

everett.jpg

I have some friends who just bought a house in Marysville in a newer development(small lot) for around $500k, which is just insane.

I can't believe what my house is *worth* in ballard, but at least then I am in the city. No plans on selling this house anytime soon(its my childhood home, my step dad bought it in the 70's, and I bought it from him ~1.5 years ago), but at least I am not upside down on it. Currently in the middle of a remodel, so we keep finding more stuff that needs doing(knob and tube wiring is fun!), but we are doing it right. Hopefully the plumbers will be able to put my toilet back and turn the water back on soon....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ok, at least I'm not quite that bad yet!

Update on my garage burglary situation: I'm effectively "cashed out" by the insurers at this point, and they (Churchill) have been great to deal with frankly. No hassle and everything sorted quickly. I did end up getting a slight reduction in the payout for the welder and related items due to hitting their overall limit on a claim for a garage (yes, I will be addressing that in terms of my cover level in future), but it just means waiting until Machine Mart have a VAT-free day to repurchase stuff, I'll still come out back where I was. However, I'm not actually going to be buying anything until my (far more secure) new garage door is fitted in a couple of weeks or so and my CCTV and alarm situation has been upgraded quite a lot.

Now, for the bikes that were taken, again, I'm not going to be buying something new immediately - I am however getting myself a very cheap hardtail to get my eye back in before deciding. I suspect I'm going to go with a single, really nice, hardtail when I do buy something. Here are some current thoughts on that, if anyone wants to have an opinion:

- Orange P7 Pro
- Saracen Mantra Carbon Elite
- Cotic Soul
- Cotic BFe275
- Ragley Piglet
- Onza Jackpot
- Kona Explosif

As you can see, other than the carbon Saracen, there's a definite "steel trailbike" bent to my thoughts, and I would prefer something :britain:. The On-One Ti 45650b is also in the running, but would involve going (more than) a little over budget. It's not an immediate thing, though, so I'll be able to sort some test rides etc nearer the time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

slurry_curry posted:

everett.jpg

I have some friends who just bought a house in Marysville in a newer development(small lot) for around $500k, which is just insane.

I can't believe what my house is *worth* in ballard, but at least then I am in the city. No plans on selling this house anytime soon(its my childhood home, my step dad bought it in the 70's, and I bought it from him ~1.5 years ago), but at least I am not upside down on it. Currently in the middle of a remodel, so we keep finding more stuff that needs doing(knob and tube wiring is fun!), but we are doing it right. Hopefully the plumbers will be able to put my toilet back and turn the water back on soon....

hah no way I escaped everett over 5 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

InitialDave posted:

On-One Ti 45650b

Titanium is forever as long as it fits you properly... That and On-One bike angles are well sorted to UK trails.

• Locked thread