Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Relinquishing your desire to hold on to your cool swords that you never use is the first step on the path to enlightenment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Not you necessarily, but a lot of people put stock in "Perfect score = Perfect game" which is kind of dumb. If a game is awesome and one of the best new games of the past however many years, it deserves a perfect score since a game literally being perfect is impossible.

The Duck of Death posted:

The 10 = perfect thing is so dumb because no reviewer uses it that way and no game is perfect except maybe Tetris. If it bothers you that much, just pretend the scale goes to 11 or 10.1 or whatever.

Well what I meant was that I'm surprised it has such near-universal acclaim, not that I personally don't think it deserves those scores.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The cool thing about Zelda for me is that I had zero expectations on what kind of game it would be and assumed it'd shake up the formula a little bit and default to the "get weapon and go to next dungeon" linearity all the other games do.

Knowing virtually nothing about the game and assuming it'd just be another Zelda has made me really really really really enjoy it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Norns posted:

Weapon durability encourages you to experiment with combat. It's good.

No it doesn't. You can just pick up spears if its all you like. Or claymores for spin-to-win. It forces early experimentation early then just becomes annoying. There are better ways to encourage experimentation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let me tell you when I got the giant boomerang I used it exclusively til it was broken and it felt great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bombadilillo posted:

No it doesn't. You can just pick up spears if its all you like. Or claymores for spin-to-win. It forces early experimentation early then just becomes annoying. There are better ways to encourage experimentation.

If all you do is whack people in the face in combat I feel sorry for you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

pixaal posted:

Every piece of the game is hand touched, I don't think Nintendo is going to be making another open world game like this. It must have cost a fortune, have you looked at how long the credits are? Most open world games use procedural generation or copy pasting of areas. The Shrine puzzles alone could be a $50 puzzle game.

I hope they do, but it's going to have to sell a ton of copies to make it worth making another open world game of this scope and polish again.

looks like someone never played a ubisoft game through to the credits

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

parallelodad posted:

Let me tell you when I got the giant boomerang I used it exclusively til it was broken and it felt great.

Even something like being able to repair it for a diamond would have been better, it could eat an inventory slot and you'd be scared to use it but you could get back your fun/good unique weapon. Instead its just gone, hope you didn't want to play with that anymore.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

JackDarko posted:

It's almost like this is the best time to be playing video games.
Video games are...good???

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Norns posted:

If all you do is whack people in the face in combat I feel sorry for you.

Who said I did that? I feel sorry that you have to defend a bad system because its in a good game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I think it's a good system though?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Halitosis of the wild

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Monster Hunter XX sells 848,467 units its first week in Japan. (Not including digital)

Raised total 3DS sales by 179%

Imagine what would happen if they did a Switch release :allears:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It encourages you to try different weapons, and also lets the game throw enemies at you wielding really strong weapons, which you can then get, without then just saying "well no reason to pick up another weapon for twenty hours".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Norns posted:

Nah

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

alright pack it up everyone, games have been solved

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

It encourages you to try different weapons, and also lets the game throw enemies at you wielding really strong weapons, which you can then get, without then just saying "well no reason to pick up another weapon for twenty hours".

The same thing would happen if they didnt break though.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I like the weapon system because it forces me to cycle through all the weapons I pick up instead of falling to one or two I prefer due to style or power.

I have three ++ guardian weapons in my cache and am being strategic when I pull out specific weapons. The rods are a ton of fun to use. The system is really well thought out.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

The same thing would happen if they didnt break though.

Tender Bender posted:

without then just saying "well no reason to pick up another weapon for twenty hours".

?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bombadilillo posted:

Even something like being able to repair it for a diamond would have been better, it could eat an inventory slot and you'd be scared to use it but you could get back your fun/good unique weapon. Instead its just gone, hope you didn't want to play with that anymore.

The blood moon rises once again

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Is the cheapest online option for Switching still the 386 price tag on Amazon? I'm pretty out of the loop on how sold out they might still be.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Infinitum posted:

Monster Hunter XX sells 848,467 units its first week in Japan. (Not including digital)

Raised total 3DS sales by 179%

Imagine what would happen if they did a Switch release :allears:

Those numbers really aren't all that good when you consider that it's the first Monster Hunter game since the leap to 3DS to not surpass 1 million in its first week and slumped to almost half of what the original version did which is surprising considering the drop from MH4 to MH4U was very small. Japanese gaming news seems to be going nuts to find out why a CoD-like apathy apparently set in on it. Maybe people just really wanted MHXX on Switch?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

??

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I didn't mind the brittle weapon mechanic at first, but I gotta admit, it gets a bit old after awhile. It would be nice if some of the weapons later in the game could be re-forged with diamonds or monster parts or some combination to become unbreakable, even if it does need to be "sharpened" every once in awhile.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Norns posted:

Can you see how others would not think it was a good system but rather bad?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
weapon breaking is the freshest thing to happen to gaming in decades.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you see how others would not think it was a good system but rather bad?

Umm I was about to ask you the opposite question my man.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Tender Bender posted:

agreed, its bad to let your players just use things they enjoy and have fun with

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you get an Amazing Claymore three hours in, you never need to pick up another two handed swinging weapon until you start coming across an Even More Amazing Claymore. Durability is a way to let you get cool stuff "out of sequence" without the usual problem of breaking the game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

It's like fun is subjective?!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

weapon breaking is the freshest thing to happen to gaming in decades.

Its not even the freshest thing to happen to gaming in Breath of the wild.

Norns posted:

Umm I was about to ask you the opposite question my man.

Yeah I get why you like it, but it doesn't force experimentation after the first few hours and become very annoying by 100+ hours when I've seen all the weapons and have infinite resourced I wish I could use to keep my fun weapons.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Stux posted:

agreed, its bad to let your players just use things they enjoy and have fun with

Counterpoint: restrictions within reason are what make games engaging.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Most things aren't fresh after doing them for 100 hours.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

If you get an Amazing Claymore three hours in, you never need to pick up another two handed swinging weapon until you start coming across an Even More Amazing Claymore. Durability is a way to let you get cool stuff "out of sequence" without the usual problem of breaking the game.

Now I have an amazing claymore I don't want to use because I might need it later. Actively discouraging me from using my good weapons.

Norns posted:

Most things aren't fresh after doing them for 100 hours.

Nope. The rest of the game was fun and good well past that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You're just arguing to argue at this point.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Now I have an amazing claymore I don't want to use because I might need it later. Actively discouraging me from using my good weapons.

Get past your mental block and you'll have a lot more fun. I did the same thing and then I was actively throwing away good weapons because I saved them while using wooden clubs for no reason.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

After 100 hours I assume I know enough about the combat system to understand what weapons I think are fun to use and would like to keep using them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe they should add a quest that unlocks late in the game that lets you make your favorite items indestructible. You have to grind out a bunch of rare materials but you get to keep your favorite sword.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bombadilillo posted:

Just use the weapons. Use appropriate weapons for the task at hand, but use your weapons. When you get an item as a monster drop, that means you're going to get a bunch more from other monsters. When you find a weapon in the world, mark it on the map and come back for it again later. You aren't going to run out of weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
this looks cool, up for a switch port if it gets to 200k and its on 131k

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1068694633/narita-boy-the-retro-futuristic-pixel-game?ref=email

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SUos6MgTjA

edit: oh, only 4 days to go. gonna be surprised if it hits that switch number.

• Locked thread