Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

"But don’t worry — the note stream mode is still here in full effect if you want that."

Sounds like you can switch on old-school note lane gameplay then?

Yea just doing guitar chopsticks doesn't sound like much of a game.

What would have been really cool IMO would be a Rocksmith VR.... But we probably need Finger Tracking for that first. (or at least Leap Motion so you can look down at your hand for beginners).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So the main mode of Rock Band VR is that you just hit whatever buttons you want in time with music? How is that a game? Rock Band is not something that ever needed to be in VR.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

So the main mode of Rock Band VR is that you just hit whatever buttons you want in time with music? How is that a game? Rock Band is not something that ever needed to be in VR.

Air guitar with more of a performing in front of a crowd feeling. So you can be loaded out your mind like a real rockstar and be told you did well.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Enos Cabell posted:

e: Ordered my Rift from Oculus yesterday, anyone know roughly how long they take to ship? Haven't gotten a tracking email yet.
They are occasionally quicker to ship to your door than they are to send the email with your tracking number.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I was about to think that local stores had become customer oriented, promising to swap my controller on the spot. Today I was at the customer service desk, the lady tells me that she has to check with HTC if swapping a controller is even possible if sending it in.
Basically the three times I talked to someone from the computer department were worthless and mean nothing, no one even knows if they checked anything.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
I was feeling creative so I made a Climbey map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=888363815

A true to life rendition of yours truly.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

You guys should check out Gnomes Vs. Fairies: Greckel's Quest on Steam or Oculus Home. It's a platformer with RPG elements, and it's very fun. It supports VR with the Oculus, and it works on the Vive with Revive. It uses the Xbox controller and plays like a traditional game, but the feeling of playing a platformer in VR feels really awesome. I highly recommend it. It's way better than Luckey's Tale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/406220

I also picked up Iron Wolf VR, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rock Band VR kinda sounds like it sucks.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Rock Band VR kinda sounds like it sucks.

Doesn't even sound fun in concept. Unless you can virtually do some blow off a groupies rear end.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
And it doesn't work with the Xbox 360 guitar controllers either, which to me means it's more or less dead in the water.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Poetic Justice posted:

And it doesn't work with the Xbox 360 guitar controllers either, which to me means it's more or less dead in the water.

What does it work with, then, even?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

TheRagamuffin posted:

What does it work with, then, even?

The Xbox One and PS4 controllers only lol. This is what a Dev said the other day

"Afraid not. While you may be able to get your PC to recognize a wireless Xbox 360 guitar controller, it is not compatible with the Rock Band VR software"
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/60ht95/is_the_new_rock_band_vr_guitar_just_the_xbox/df6r3ph/

smdh

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 22, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I thought it was a new guitar made specifically for Rock Band VR, with clips to attach your Touch controllers to it.

e: oh the clips are sold separately I guess??

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I thought it was a new guitar made specifically for Rock Band VR, with clips to attach your Touch controllers to it.

e: oh the clips are sold separately I guess??

The clips come with Touch

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
On a different note
Oculus key no longer bundled with Virtual Desktop purchase on Steam starting March 24th

posted:

Hi folks, sadly Steam has decided to no longer allow me to bundle Oculus keys with every purchase. This means, for new users, that you'll have to choose which store to buy it from. A Steam purchase gives you access to the environment workshop while an Oculus Store one doesn't (hence the small price difference).

For those of you who buy it before March 24th on Steam, you can access your Home key by right-clicking Virtual Desktop in your games/apps list on Steam, then View CD-key. Copy the key and go to Oculus Home, Settings, Account, Redeem Code to redeem your copy.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wow, Oculus debug tool has come on a long way since I last used it. Now you can set it to run on Windows startup in the background.
New update lets you launch Steam with a voice command from Oculus Home. Also allows profiles for Oculus apps where you can set supersampling/ASW individually:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Wow, Oculus debug tool has come on a long way since I last used it. Now you can set it to run on Windows startup in the background.
New update lets you launch Steam with a voice command from Oculus Home. Also allows profiles for Oculus apps where you can set supersampling/ASW individually:
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

That's a third party thing, not made by Oculus. It uses the command line version of the debug to set some options. It is very nice though, and he's adding lots of nice features.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Obduction gets its Touch update tomorrow. Been looking forward to this, it looks just awesome.
Also GiantCop coming out on the 30th: http://www.vrfocus.com/2017/03/the-walking-dead-easter-eggs-to-feature-in-giant-cop-justice-above-all-launching-this-month/

Phuzun posted:

That's a third party thing, not made by Oculus. It uses the command line version of the debug to set some options. It is very nice though, and he's adding lots of nice features.
Yeah I'd figured. Far too useful/practical to have come from Oculus themselves :v:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

El Grillo posted:

Obduction gets its Touch update tomorrow. Been looking forward to this, it looks just awesome.
Also GiantCop coming out on the 30th: http://www.vrfocus.com/2017/03/the-walking-dead-easter-eggs-to-feature-in-giant-cop-justice-above-all-launching-this-month/

Not gonna lie, I really want to play Giant Cop, especially with my 5 y/o son. This looks like a great game that would be even better if there was foot tracking so you could stomp on poo poo.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

El Grillo posted:

Thanks for the update. I just bought it from shady Russians for $13 on Steam thanks to your post.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 22, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My Rift/Touch is scheduled for delivery on Friday, anything I should download and get ready before then?

Also, what are the best cockpit games out now on the flying and driving side? Sounds like maybe Elite and Project Cars?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Oovee posted:

I was feeling creative so I made a Climbey map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=888363815

A true to life rendition of yours truly.

would

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Also, what are the best cockpit games out now on the flying and driving side? Sounds like maybe Elite and Project Cars?

The two you mentioned plus Dirt 3 if you can handle the motion of the car on rough roads, House of the Dying Sun for a great space dogfighting game, Euro Truck Simulator.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Dirt Rally, not 3.
Assetto Corsa performs better than project cars, though menus aren't in VR.
Elite Dangerous is a good space sim.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Thats a bummer. I wonder if Steam is starting to dig its heels since Oculus is clearly not even trying to appear impartial.

If you make most gamers choose between steam and other platforms they'll choose steam. But VR users? I could definitely see a lot of people preferring to stay within the Oculus Home ecosystem, its just better despite the limited catalog.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I don't understand Steam's stance here. How is this any different than buying a Ubisoft or EA game on steam? You're still provided a key for those other services since it has to use their launchers. I bought The Division on Steam but can now install and run it through Uplay if I want to.

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

Rhymenoserous posted:

do some blow off a groupies rear end.

Only if you get the groupie DLC, available soon* for only $9.99-$99.99 depending on the groupie of your choice.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Wohoo, got a replacement Vive controller after bothering them some more, appears it is out of a test unit, considering the side seam was split open. No problem, mine had that happen before so no downgrade :)
It shows a few signs of use, but no scuffs and the touchpad works, so I'm happy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DrBox posted:

I don't understand Steam's stance here. How is this any different than buying a Ubisoft or EA game on steam? You're still provided a key for those other services since it has to use their launchers. I bought The Division on Steam but can now install and run it through Uplay if I want to.

You don't have to use Oculus' launcher to use Virtual Desktop. Functionally it's two separate copies, unlike Uplay (EA is a special case since they don't put games on Steam anymore).

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

El Grillo posted:

Patch just dropped on Steam! Yay for shady Russian grey market

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

El Grillo posted:

I picked the game up on GOG, and now I'm realizing I have no idea how game updates work on this platform--even poking around on the GOG Galaxy client, there seems to be a "Verify/Repair" option under "Manage Installation," and that's as close as I can find. It didn't update anything, maybe the patch just hasn't made it over there yet. Ugh, I just had to save $6 on a holiday sale.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

Patch just dropped on Steam! Yay for shady Russian grey market
Nice. According to Reddit there are some performance improvements too: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/60vhis/obduction_update_released_today_adds_support_for/df9qfmw/

Weirdly enough, I actually have too many VR titles to finish already, so I'm gonna hold off until it's in a sale. This is not a problem I've had with VR stuff before. :cool:

Knifegrab posted:

Thats a bummer. I wonder if Steam is starting to dig its heels since Oculus is clearly not even trying to appear impartial.

If you make most gamers choose between steam and other platforms they'll choose steam. But VR users? I could definitely see a lot of people preferring to stay within the Oculus Home ecosystem, its just better despite the limited catalog.

DrBox posted:

Maybe it has something to do with the price difference/content difference between the two stores? The guy in the reddit post says: "A Steam purchase gives you access to the environment workshop while an Oculus Store one doesn't (hence the small price difference)."

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 22, 2017

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

El Grillo posted:

Maybe it has something to do with the price difference/content difference between the two stores? The guy in the reddit post says: "A Steam purchase gives you access to the environment workshop while an Oculus Store one doesn't (hence the small price difference)."

Also it could be Oculus or the developer refusing to give keys for Steam Purchases. I don't think we have a statement either from Oculus or Steam so I'm not sure Steam has a stance on this yet.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

El Grillo posted:

He explains later in the reddit thread that it's the result of a technical change, not a policy change. Valve are retiring their ancient system for CD-key distribution; he would still be allowed to distribute Oculus store keys himself, but he doesn't have the time or inclination to set that up.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If anyone bought Eve Valkyrie on Home before Nov 17th 2016 you have until March 24th to get a Steam key if you want it. https://forums.evevalkyrie.com/t/eve-valkyrie-steam-code-offer-for-oculus-rift-customers/5582. Also that Harmonix developer updated the guitar information:

posted:

Hey, Harmonix Community Manager jumping in here to clear some things up.

It is true that Xbox 360 guitars don't work in RBVR. YES, this is even though the guitars 'plug in' just fine as is. Compatibility is quite a fickle beast, though it's definitely something we want to look into.

PS3 guitars work just fine! Hooray. You still need the matching dongle from back when, it won't find a plain Bluetooth adapter or anything, but they work 'as is'.

If you need a replacement clip for any reason, gotta hit up Oculus, not us. They've got the supply and are super willing to help you out.

DLC from console purchases does NOT transfer over. This is like Rock Band Unplugged, it's got songs in common, but it's not directly tied into the other ones.

Hope that helps some people!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MerklesBoner posted:

I picked the game up on GOG, and now I'm realizing I have no idea how game updates work on this platform--even poking around on the GOG Galaxy client, there seems to be a "Verify/Repair" option under "Manage Installation," and that's as close as I can find. It didn't update anything, maybe the patch just hasn't made it over there yet. Ugh, I just had to save $6 on a holiday sale.

It will have an update alert of sorts when there is one, however GoG isn't the first platform to get updates on anything except any first party games like The Witcher series.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Is Euro Truck Sim actually playable now? I was really looking forward to playing in VR but it was a stuttery nightmare when I tried.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
If any of you are interested in robotics, there's a pretty cool little documentary on Boston Dynamics in the Within app (Oculus & Steam). You get to see a lot of footage of their robot testing which isn't on youtube (and get a better sense of scale of the things too). Well worth a look if only for the little Spot robots running around with each other :3:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 23, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Any must-haves on Steam that aren't on Oculus Home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Enos Cabell posted:

Any must-haves on Steam that aren't on Oculus Home?
Tons, but most are free. Here is what I currently have installed and maybe one or two are on oculus home but most aren't

accounting
blueshift
budget cuts demo
climbey
google earth vr
job simulator
ironwolf vr
the lab
lunar flight
onward
pavlov vr
portal stories vr
waltz of the wizard
house of the dying sun
vanishing realms
obduction
surgeon simulator meet the medic vr

steamvr is absolutely worth installing and setting up even just for the bunch of freebies. chaperone tweak is pretty much mandatory though.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 23, 2017