Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Jonah is too tall in the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Oh man, I cannot get more hype

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not sure we need a backstory that can't just be covered in the opening theme.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's not like it's the first time.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Reptilicus is an inspired choice.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday, A.D. --
There was a guy named Jonah,
Not too different than you or me.
He drove a shuttle through outer space,
Helping people all over the place;
He was lured to Moon Base Thirteen,
And captured by Mad Scientists
To use in their evil scheme.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find.
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind.
Now keep in mind he can't control
When the movies begin or end,
Because he used the extra parts
To make his robot friends.

Robot roll-call:
Cambot
Gypsy
Tom Servo
Crow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts,
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
For Mystery Science Theater 3000."

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Honestly, realizing there will be new MST3k episodes still kinda makes me wanna scream.

The effects in the trailer are so cheap! IT'S PERFECT.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I can't remember - did the original Mads ever actually refer to their scheme as "Mystery Science Theater 3000"?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Got some quality nitpicking going on here

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

OldSenileGuy posted:

I can't remember - did the original Mads ever actually refer to their scheme as "Mystery Science Theater 3000"?

As far as I can recall no, it's more than likely just a branding thing, they wanted to get the title in there.

So we know of at least one movie though. I'm a teensy bit worried about what looks to be nudity in the trailer, I really hope they don't feel a need to amp up the edgy factor.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah Joel of all people is upping the edge. You people worry too much.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I've just been burned before by a show I really like getting a reboot on a channel with more leniency towards things of that nature and it suddenly become hot garbage due to it.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

GreenNight posted:

Yeah Joel of all people is upping the edge. You people worry too much.

I'm sure he'll give Jonah his umbrella.

I love that censorship he did.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The nudity in the trailer literally is censored. Tom Servo is floating over the censor bars. They've done it before with Cinematic Titanic as well.

I had a friend over recently who saw Hercules vs. The Moon Men in my queue and asked "What's that?". I quickly turned it on.

He did not like it, despite two or three deep guttural laughs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So does the presence of Reptilicus confirm the rest of that IMDB list? Anyone recognize any of the other brief clips in the trailer?

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016
That gives me 3 weeks to fix my Gypsy before I have folk over for a party for the new season. Time to get to work!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

OldTennisCourt posted:

I've just been burned before by a show I really like getting a reboot on a channel with more leniency towards things of that nature and it suddenly become hot garbage due to it.

can't imagine which one you're talking about :zoid:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Netflix might have demanded it, but it does seem unnecessary.

Franchescanado posted:

The nudity in the trailer literally is censored. Tom Servo is floating over the censor bars. They've done it before with Cinematic Titanic as well.

Those aren't censor bars, the movie is originally like that. It's from The Time Travelers, which is actually a halfway decent movie.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Joel has said multiple times MST3K will always remain a light PG-13 because he knows it's important to keep the show family friendly.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

can't imagine which one you're talking about :zoid:

I was assuming Ren and Stimpy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
People are nitpicky because new things are scary.

There's been censored nudity in the movies of MST3K before. Off the top of my head, Devil Fish.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah that trailer struck me as "edgy".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So does the presence of Reptilicus confirm the rest of that IMDB list?

kiimo, who works in production, said he checked, the leak was real and heads were rolling because it wasn't supposed to get out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

kiimo, who works in production, said he checked, the leak was real and heads were rolling because it wasn't supposed to get out.

In that case, I am so drat excited for Star Crash

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

I thought Big Bird garrotting Snuffulifigus was an artistic take on the problem of inner city crime

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Tom Servo isn't censoring anything in that clip. He's trying to peek over the film's conveniently-placed prop. See also: Crow trying to peek under it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Alehkhs posted:

Tom Servo isn't censoring anything in that clip. He's trying to peek over the film's conveniently-placed prop. See also: Crow trying to peek under it.

That was literally the only thing I was worried about so that makes everything perfect again.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

OldTennisCourt posted:

That was literally the only thing I was worried about so that makes everything perfect again.

I'm so excited! This looks so great. The Pearl cameo was my favorite bit.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Joel refers to the theater as it once.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I remember there was also an episode where I think it was Tom commented on a moon looking like the MST3K logo and Joel had to whisper they weren't supposed to know about that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

Oh that's even better.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Clouseau posted:

Joel refers to the theater as it once.

Also, when they read off the info club address.

There was a plot (that was never or at least very rarely mentioned) where Dr. Forrester was selling off videos of the experiment to TV to make extra money off it. Hence the one host segment where Mike and the bots are temporarily turned into the cast of Renegade because their ratings are slipping.

At any rate, sometimes they're the victims of an experiment, and sometimes they're perfectly aware it's a TV show.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Leonard Maltin was a good sport for appearing on the show.

But still "Laserblast" 2 1/2 Stars?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

remusclaw posted:

I was assuming Ren and Stimpy.

Well, it's good that we have a variety of options.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Despera posted:

But still "Laserblast" 2 1/2 Stars?

Maltin actually liked Gorgo, which, hey so did I, but I'm a sucker for giant monster movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HannibalBarca posted:

Maltin actually liked Gorgo, which, hey so did I, but I'm a sucker for giant monster movies.

A lot of people like Gorgo. Edgar Wright keeps talking about remaking it (and using a rubber suit for the monster)

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

Gorgo was a much better movie than "Laserblast"

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Gorgo had the Dorkin Circus. Dorkins? Dorking? Just come on down, folks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Yup.

I just showed my girlfriend the Samson vs. The Vampire Women episode today (since it's on that landmark episodes list I'm working on). I made sure not to explain anything about Samson beforehand so that by the time he showed up unannounced, halfway into the movie, it blew her mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Slowly making my way through the Netflix collection. For some reason, the Hercules movies put me to sleep, and Vs the Moon Men was especially bad. The riffs are funny and I still love the interspersed bits throughout, but they're just ponderous. The 10 minute sandstorm scene at the end didn't help at all. :shrug: